Melbourne Football

General World Football Chat

Baresi

Goodness, another round of surprises in the 4th Round of the FA Cup. Lincoln and Sutton being the big ones. "In my day" fielding an under-strength team in the FA Cup was unheard of - and in fact I think the club could be punished for doing so - but these days it seems quite common.

• Like 1

On 30/01/2017 at 9:17 AM, jw1739 said:

Goodness, another round of surprises in the 4th Round of the FA Cup. Lincoln and Sutton being the big ones. "In my day" fielding an under-strength team in the FA Cup was unheard of - and in fact I think the club could be punished for doing so - but these days it seems quite common.

As best I can figure out, up until about 20 years ago winning the FA Cup, at least from a players perspective, was the biggest thing you could do. Certainly Stanley Matthews thought so.

i suspect a couple of things changed that, like the change inEuropean competitions with easier qualification (so you have more to play for) & the advent of non English managers who no longer saw the cup as the pinnacle but more a trivial side show.

The big $ in the PL is part of the picture too.

Anyway I'm with you, I really struggle to get my head around what was once to me the biggest football comp in the world (my kids view of it) to a comp that the big clubs don't care about.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2017 at 7:55 PM, Shahanga said:

As best I can figure out, up until about 20 years ago winning the FA Cup, at least from a players perspective, was the biggest thing you could do. Certainly Stanley Matthews thought so.

i suspect a couple of things changed that, like the change inEuropean competitions with easier qualification (so you have more to play for) & the advent of non English managers who no longer saw the cup as the pinnacle but more a trivial side show.

The big $ in the PL is part of the picture too.

Anyway I'm with you, I really struggle to get my head around what was once to me the biggest football comp in the world (my kids view of it) to a comp that the big clubs don't care about.

I agree, it was the ultimate trophy when I was watching as a kid. The Final was one of the iconic events on the English Sporting Calendar.

The rules for this season's competition are quite clear that clubs must field their strongest available team but some are clearly not doing so.

• 3 weeks later...

As one of the world's foremost gambling experts, I have to say this Sutton stuff is bullshit. The bookmaker put up a novelty market for people to throw their money away on, and he trolled the fuck out of them, well played. The problem is that regardless of whether he eats a pie, or wether he doesnt, either way he is affecting the outcome of the bet. The fault lies with the market the bookmaker created, and not with the actions of the goalkeeper.

Fwiw, I cant help but think this whole thing is a massive marketing ploy.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tesla said:

As one of the world's foremost gambling experts, I have to say this Sutton stuff is bullshit. The bookmaker put up a novelty market for people to throw their money away on, and he trolled the fuck out of them, well played. The problem is that regardless of whether he eats a pie, or wether he doesnt, either way he is affecting the outcome of the bet. The fault lies with the market the bookmaker created, and not with the actions of the goalkeeper.

Fwiw, I cant help but think this whole thing is a massive marketing ploy.

You're exactly right and I fully agree with you, but the fact it was a market run by a betting agency that became the club's one-off shirt sponsor for the game makes it seem a lot more dodgy.

On 2/19/2017 at 6:04 PM, Shahanga said:

Lincoln!!! 

Just watched them get a deserved away win over Burnley and make the last 16 0f the FA Cup (from outside the league) Fabulous stuff.

Update:

@jw1739  first non league side in the last 16 since 1914!  Am I really the only one excited?

Actually it's the last 8 - the quarter-finals. Possibly the best giant-killing run of all time, although Third-Division Norwich City in 1958-59 reached the semi-final beating Spurs and Manchester United along the way. It's the stuff of dreams that only the FA Cup can provide.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

You're exactly right and I fully agree with you, but the fact it was a market run by a betting agency that became the club's one-off shirt sponsor for the game makes it seem a lot more dodgy.

Are you saying you think it's a marketing stunt? There is a good chance it is, and no one expected the backlash it has caused and so now they're keeping quite on it.

Edited by Tesla

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

How sad to read of the potential demise of Leyton Orient, the club my grandfather and father supported for many years.

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/leyton-orient-are-on-the-verge-of-extinction-this-is-why-you-should-care/

This is what happens when you get shit owners. Hopefully something positive will come out of the ashes, maybe a supporter owned club? 

On another note which we posted I posted in the transfers thread, I think we should go for their Australian keeper Alex Cisak.

On 23/04/2017 at 10:14 AM, jw1739 said:

How sad to read of the potential demise of Leyton Orient, the club my grandfather and father supported for many years.

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/leyton-orient-are-on-the-verge-of-extinction-this-is-why-you-should-care/

Probably an unpopular opinion, but football clubs in my book should be member owned ala the AFL clubs and most of the NRL clubs.

if you look at what Portsmouth and Wimbledon have achieved I wouldn't despair for Orient, if they have s strong fan group a Phoenix club is possible 

12 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but football clubs in my book should be member owned ala the AFL clubs and most of the NRL clubs.

if you look at what Portsmouth and Wimbledon have achieved I wouldn't despair for Orient, if they have s strong fan group a Phoenix club is possible 

Yeh nah. Not in a global market.

Its a nice premise, but it would destroy the league here in australia

11 minutes ago, Young Polak said:

29-year-old Julian Nagelsmann has led Hoffenheim to the Champions League for the first time in the club’s history.

They finished 15th last season.

A 29 year old manager.

Was something posted on here a while back about him or did I see it somewhere else. 

Truly amazing story which continues to evolve.

45 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Was something posted on here a while back about him or did I see it somewhere else. 

Truly amazing story which continues to evolve.

Yeah, 28 when he took the job halfway through last season and saved them from relegation when they were sitting in 17th place. It's like equivalent (somewhat) to seeing sunderland narrowly avoid relegation last season and shoot up to 4th place this season in some respect I guess

amazing shit

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/05/2020 at 8:47 AM, marn11 said:

Yeah, I watched both televised games over the weekend. Impressive standard - I'll continue to follow it. Think I'll jump on Pohang.

I have gone with Seongnam because their badge is sick. Their old one was awesome too

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 08/09/2020 at 1:33 PM, mattyh001 said:

Harry Kewell, in his role as Oldham Manager, has just signed George Blackwood.  will be interesting to see how he goes IMHO given Blackwood was always a standard, run of the mill Aussie forward in the A League.

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/kewell-signs-aussie-a-league-striker-to-oldham-552914

As in, a forward that scores 0 goals?

On 08/09/2020 at 1:33 PM, mattyh001 said:

Harry Kewell, in his role as Oldham Manager, has just signed George Blackwood.  will be interesting to see how he goes IMHO given Blackwood was always a standard, run of the mill Aussie forward in the A League.

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/kewell-signs-aussie-a-league-striker-to-oldham-552914

34 minutes ago, Dylan said:

As in, a forward that scores 0 goals?

lol - just a bid harsh 

more so we have plenty there (for which Blackwood did bag few this year) who have either a bit of technique and some athletic prowess (which is how I see Blackwood) or some sort lumbering unit who young (and thereby a bit quick - thinking Wales) or wryly old bloke who has crafted a few tricks to go with their diminished pace (thinking Simon or MacDonald).

what's truly sad for me is we don't produce / maintain anywhere near enough of local players in the a league with the quality of JMac, hence the reliance on foreigners who are the truly crafty (ie Bruno) or goal poachers with solid technique (Berisha, le Fondre). 

gone are the days you would see a Mori, Djite, J Griffiths et al running around the league (and dare I say the few from the scum like Thompson and Allsop).  not necessarily the most gifted bunch, but good enough to see a local bloke for the lead spot.

now, anyone whose any good buggers off too young.

Edited by mattyh001

• 2 months later...