Melbourne Football

Boxing

Begbie

Not sure if there's any boxing fans on here but there's some cracking fights coming up in the next 6 weeks. Bradley/Pacquiao II this weekend, Mayweather Jr/Maidana on 3rd May with Khan/Collazo on the undercard. Froch/Groves II on 31st May which will be one of the biggest British boxing fights in recent history.

Pac needs to win by KO after last time or people will be calling for him to retire imo.

• Like 3

Mundine has no options left after last night. I heard from a mate who works in the Sports Journo biz that he only sold 45 pay per views for last night's fight and lost heaps on the purse at an empty stadium.

For those who didn't catch it, Clottey knocked Mundine down 5 times (good effort to keep getting back up btw) and lost unanimously on points.

I'm sorry but its the bloke's own fault. Who comes down two divisions at 38years of age? Fuck me. 

He can stop talking about Cotto and Alvarez and those guys now and if he mentions Mayweathers name somebody needs to euthanise him.

Its sad as if this bloke had of kept his mouth shut and been better advised over his career in terms of fight matching and marketing he would have been remembered as one of Australia's greats and that's coming from a Choc-Hater btw. 

Article on the fight last night here btw.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/boxing-mma/anthony-mundine-suffers-unanimous-points-decision-loss-to-joshua-clottey-in-gutsy-performance/story-fni2fnkz-1226879266593

• Like 2

Don't know if I qualify as a "choc hater" but the guy lost me after this story:

The 1999 NRL Grand Final.  St George (choc's team) have a handy lead over Melbourne when Choc is through on the tryline, he has a man unmarked outside of him but goes alone.  When tackled he goes over the line, but drops the ball cold.  No Try.  Melbourne, presumably inspired by this turn of events, lift their game and go on to win an amazing game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETgWxcurqlk

The Australian team to play NZ is picked the next week.  Choc is left out.  Instead of staying "hmm that's what happens when you stuff up like that in a grand final" he says "the selectors are racist" (the selectors included the late great Arthur Beetson, the first aboriginal to captain an Australian team in anything.) 

Choc went on to have a handy boxing career.  Boxing being boxing he has been able to prolong his career long after all his NRL peers have retired, by carefully making sure he avoided the best young hungry boxers.  Good luck to him but until I hear an apology to "Big Artie" I've got no time for him.

Sorry to hijack the boxing thread.  It can be brutal and horrible, but it has a magic to it that makes it impossible for me to resist.

Shame boxing's dying cause of MMA. Really underrated sport imo.

Was glad to see mundine be knocked down last night, blokes a clown, 'the greatest athlete ever' my ass.

It's not dying because of MMA, majority of boxing fans I know can't stand that shite. It's been shit for the past 15 years because of a lack of competition in the heavyweight division and too many mouthy cunts that haven't been put in their place. I know the British scene is beginning to flourish again at least.

I read that Mundiene report today, sounds like he knows his time is up and any further fights will be purely for a payday, bloke comes across as an embarrassment to the sport since I've been following him, not sure if he was ever respected in oz before I moved here

• Like 1

Don't know if I qualify as a "choc hater" but the guy lost me after this story:

The 1999 NRL Grand Final.  St George (choc's team) have a handy lead over Melbourne when Choc is through on the tryline, he has a man unmarked outside of him but goes alone.  When tackled he goes over the line, but drops the ball cold.  No Try.  Melbourne, presumably inspired by this turn of events, lift their game and go on to win an amazing game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETgWxcurqlk

The Australian team to play NZ is picked the next week.  Choc is left out.  Instead of staying "hmm that's what happens when you stuff up like that in a grand final" he says "the selectors are racist" (the selectors included the late great Arthur Beetson, the first aboriginal to captain an Australian team in anything.) 

Choc went on to have a handy boxing career.  Boxing being boxing he has been able to prolong his career long after all his NRL peers have retired, by carefully making sure he avoided the best young hungry boxers.  Good luck to him but until I hear an apology to "Big Artie" I've got no time for him.

Sorry to hijack the boxing thread.  It can be brutal and horrible, but it has a magic to it that makes it impossible for me to resist.

I actually never even knew he played league! Would have loved to see Barry Hall give boxing a crack, was a decent amateur before footy from what I've read

Shame boxing's dying cause of MMA. Really underrated sport imo.

Was glad to see mundine be knocked down last night, blokes a clown, 'the greatest athlete ever' my ass.

It's not dying because of MMA, majority of boxing fans I know can't stand that shite. It's been shit for the past 15 years because of a lack of competition in the heavyweight division and too many mouthy cunts that haven't been put in their place. I know the British scene is beginning to flourish again at least.

I read that Mundiene report today, sounds like he knows his time is up and any further fights will be purely for a payday, bloke comes across as an embarrassment to the sport since I've been following him, not sure if he was ever respected in oz before I moved here

Good Post. :up:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What's Briggs doing calling out Wladimir at the Leapai v Wladimir press conference? Guys a hack.

Even Vitali beat his ass around the ring for 12 rounds :lol:

He looked like he'd just snorted meth. started doing push ups in the middle of the room  :lol:

Anyone going to bother with Mayweather vs Maidana this weekend?

I'm thinking about buying it just to watch Molina humble Adrian Broner.

I'll watch it on some shitty Russian stream probably, want to see Khan v Collazo more. 

First match for Broner in this division, he gets on my tits so would be nice to see him get slapped about  :up:  

Froch vs Groves at yours after a big night undoubtedly Begbie...? LOL

Not sure my inner norf gaff can even get it.. we'll have to go to my peninsula beach house 

Is at after Kolschburger? Keen for boxing kick ons. Nothing better to coming down to seeing 2 blokes punch each others heads in.

Nah don't think so..31st May

Have a done a review of the Packer-Gyngell block buster (based on the 200 photos in the Herald Sun).  Packer needed to throw his jab more i thought.  had a clear height advantage and could of snapped that jab out and hold Gyngell at bay.  Throwing a left hook just let Gyngell come in behind it, as you'd expect a shorter bloke to do.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know of ANYWHERE showing Froch v Groves Sunday morning? Or the best chance of somewhere showing it?

The riser shows most fights.. Depends if there's any mma on tho

Rang around, apparently it costs the pub about a grand to show this one, can't make the money back on a Sunday morning. Crown aren't even showing it

• 1 month later...

Geale got stopped at the end of the third. He done better than expected lol

FWIW the first round went 4 mins and Geale got tripped over buy a photographer camera cord.

:lol:

Was never going to win that one, at least he's fighting reputable fighters unlike Mundine..even if he is completely out of his depth.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...