Melbourne Football

***Help Keep the Red & White***

FB.

Can someone explain why the banner had to be put on sticks and couldn't be a pullover? Is it a safety thing?

From what I understand it was to do flares.

Okay I guess they want everything visible at all times. Goddamn the security is overkill.

Overkill is an understatement

Can someone explain why the banner had to be put on sticks and couldn't be a pullover? Is it a safety thing?

From what I understand it was to do flares.Okay I guess they want everything visible at all times. Goddamn the security is overkill.Overkill is an understatementThe police were happy enough for the MU5 Pullover to go ahead as they it was Yarraside Core Endorsed who had a strong record for not ripping flares under Pullovers.

It was when the Red and White Pullover was submitted they changed their minds on all Pullovers saying that the new group (The Campaigners) had a unknown track record with Flares and they therefore could not trust them with a Pullover and that all Tifos now needed to know be on Poles. (All of this was relayed to me word for word a number of times from the club).

So basically if both Pullovers had gone through Yarraside Core then they both could have been actual pullovers without much fuss...

Alas only MU5 followed this procedure but in the end being Youth could not afford to buy poles at the last minute and therefore could not present their Tifo they had spent a month making...

(Luckily the Campaigners did not have this problem.)

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Why not send it to CFG?..

Regents Place

10 Brock Street

London

NW1 3FG

Thanks.

It may not end up with anyone, but I'm posting a placard with a personal letter along the lines of this short edited version:

"Your group has recently purchased my football club, and I’m excited about what the new investment and resources may bring to the club. But I'd like to tell you what this club has meant to me as a supporter.

When Melbourne Heart came along, I was ready to give the game and the new club a go, and within no time at all, I again fell in love with being at the football, and more acutely, with the club where I’ve got to know fellow supporters with whom I've shared the wins and losses. And where as a supporter and member, I’ve felt part of the club. I’ve been able to feel that my support mattered and my opinions on certain matters could be heard. The club together with it's supporters have created a fantastic culture and atmosphere.

So when a wealthy investor purchases a football club, they not only buy the licence to operate a club, or the players and facilities etc, they also buy its history, and the supporter’s passions and shared memories, even if the club has only existed for a relatively short four years

This is why it is so important when you take over our club, you don’t take away everything that has meant something to its followers. If a complete rebranding along the lines of Manchester City takes place, it will no longer feel like the club we've been a part of from the start, and the passion and energy I've put into the club may be lost. So if nothing else, please let us keep our red and white for the supporters who have been through the first four years of this journey."

Or something like that anyway.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 3

From what I understand it was to do flares.Okay I guess they want everything visible at all times. Goddamn the security is overkill.Overkill is an understatementThe police were happy enough for the MU5 Pullover to go ahead as they it was Yarraside Core Endorsed who had a strong record for not ripping flares under Pullovers.

It was when the Red and White Pullover was submitted they changed their minds on all Pullovers saying that the new group (The Campaigners) had a unknown track record with Flares and they therefore could not trust them with a Pullover and that all Tifos now needed to know be on Poles. (All of this was relayed to me word for word a number of times from the club).

So basically if both Pullovers had gone through Yarraside Core then they both could have been actual pullovers without much fuss...

Alas only MU5 followed this procedure but in the end being Youth could not afford to buy poles at the last minute and therefore could not present their Tifo they had spent a month making...

Maybe some core members should have embraced the campaign instead of letting their personal problems with people involved in the campaign cloud their judgement. Surely keeping the red n white should have been more of a prioirty to someone as passionate as you are aboutthe club. More of a prioirty than your dislike of certain people.

You come across as the main core rep on these forums and your attitude to the campaign was so negative from the get go, I don't blame them not going through you. I understand the MU5 banner was very important and it sucks it didn't go ahead.

If you guys had of been proactive instead of reactive and cracking the shits about it all, i'd have happily chipped in some funds for some poles, whats $20 when these lads have gone to the time and effort of making it! I bet others would have to! I'd have even helped them set the poles up if needed/ wanted.

The campaign seemed pretty spur of the moment, i was happy to help when invited and it obviously only had the right intentions.

• Like 5

From what I understand it was to do flares. Okay I guess they want everything visible at all times. Goddamn the security is overkill. Overkill is an understatement The police were happy enough for the MU5 Pullover to go ahead as they it was Yarraside Core Endorsed who had a strong record for not ripping flares under Pullovers.

Maybe some core members should have embraced the campaign instead of letting their personal problems with people involved in the campaign cloud their judgement. Surely keeping the red n white should have been more of a prioirty to someone as passionate as you are aboutthe club. More of a prioirty than your dislike of certain people.

You come across as the main core rep on these forums and your attitude to the campaign was so negative from the get go, I don't blame them not going through you. I understand the MU5 banner was very important and it sucks it didn't go ahead.

If you guys had of been proactive instead of reactive and cracking the shits about it all, i'd have happily chipped in some funds for some poles, whats $20 when these lads have gone to the time and effort of making it! I bet others would have to! I'd have even helped them set the poles up if needed/ wanted.

The campaign seemed pretty spur of the moment, i was happy to help when invited and it obviously only had the right intentions.

You clearly have been misinformed. Core were disappointed in the so called "Bay 16" crew by their announcement that they would be doing a display (this was before the keep the red and white name for the campaign started and really took off), without consulting with Core as to whether something else had already been organised and planned for the match, which it had. The opportunity was there for the display to be go through Core to get it cleared by the club, which they didn't which ultimately led the police to ban all displays which constricted their ability to police the deployment of flares. This meant that the display which had been planned before the whole campaign was bumped on the day because they could not organise to get poles for it (and it was likely too big). They also took offence at us saying that regardless of what they were doing the plans we had in place would still go ahead. There was no reason why they could not both be done as the planned display was to be deployed pre game.

Core's source of annoyance stems from the fact that numerous people involved in the campaign know how the terrace is run and still chose to act in the way they did.

Edited by malloy
  • Like 3

(Luckily the Campaigners did not have this problem.)Maybe some core members should have embraced the campaign instead of letting their personal problems with people involved in the campaign cloud their judgement. Surely keeping the red n white should have been more of a prioirty to someone as passionate as you are aboutthe club. More of a prioirty than your dislike of certain people.

The campaign seemed pretty spur of the moment, i was happy to help when invited and it obviously only had the right intentions.Well cearly mate you are both not privileged to all discussions on this forum and have bern ill informed by our Bay 16 Commanders.

Core Members Baz, and Telsa (Twice) both asked your Bay 16 comrades if they had a Banner they wanted Core seek club approval for... and each time they were ignored with the PPL involved instead choosing to operate the Campaign outside of Yarraside.

In fact Billy, when I informed PPL of the Tifo Procedure in existence with the club and recommended PPL thus use such a method - Myself and the aforementioned Procedure indeed made fun of at great length by your best mate the Infamous Tifo King himself Buddy Farah.

If he and his fellow Campaigners had used this Procedure instead of mocking it - I was told by the club you would def then of had a Pullover and not a Raised Banner.

Edited by cadete

I dont think the players should be dragged into the campaign anyway,they are in an entierly different position than us as fans. it would be a very awkward position to be in for them and if I were in their shoes I wouldnt like to be dragged into it.

True no one should feel compelled to do anything. But even if some players wanted to support it, it's obvious the club has prevented them from doing so. It just feels like it's being supressed by both club and media. You could tell by the fact that the half time display was put on at the same time the ground announcer was trying to get the crowd to wave the Harry Kewell masks or something. That the players didn't come to meet the supporters after the game. The complete lack of coverage on TV and the papers.

Whatever people can do to keep the message going, I would encourage them to do it. The more it's ignored, the louder I'd like us to get. I don't know but it just feels to me that the decision has perhaps been made and we're just going to be groomed into accepting it. I'm becoming less and less convinced by the 'let's wait and see' approach. Maybe I'm getting paranoid, but I'd love to just see any signal at all that they haven't already paved the way for the changes to occur. Like some indication that they're going to consult supporters. I can't see it happening at the moment. I hope I'm wrong but I'm becoming more and more pessimistic.

I dont think the players should be dragged into the campaign anyway,they are in an entierly different position than us as fans. it would be a very awkward position to be in for them and if I were in their shoes I wouldnt like to be dragged into it.

True no one should feel compelled to do anything. But even if some players wanted to support it, it's obvious the club has prevented them from doing so. It just feels like it's being supressed by both club and media. You could tell by the fact that the half time display was put on at the same time the ground announcer was trying to get the crowd to wave the Harry Kewell masks or something. That the players didn't come to meet the supporters after the game. The complete lack of coverage on TV and the papers.

Whatever people can do to keep the message going, I would encourage them to do it. The more it's ignored, the louder I'd like us to get. I don't know but it just feels to me that the decision has perhaps been made and we're just going to be groomed into accepting it. I'm becoming less and less convinced by the 'let's wait and see' approach. Maybe I'm getting paranoid, but I'd love to just see any signal at all that they haven't already paved the way for the changes to occur. Like some indication that they're going to consult supporters. I can't see it happening at the moment. I hope I'm wrong but I'm becoming more and more pessimistic.

IMO the colour change was all, but a done deal as soon as the club was bought.

No harm in trying though.

No harm in trying though.

Agree.

Clearly I am not privileged, nor am I apart of any little inner circles or crews. And if you want it to remain that way feel free to revoke my terrace talk privileges. I don't need them.

Hate this whole "crew" mentality. I just like supporting my team and watching football mate.

Yeah ive become mates with people who stand in bay 16, but I also know and am friends with as many in 17 and the rest of the stadium. They're the people that have got to know me a little bit more over 4 years now, and who's company I enjoy when talking about and watching the football.

But I'm certainly not aligned to anyone or crew.

I also don't care for the inner political terrace stuff that you guys (both sides, with this apparent divide) seem have going on.

I feel I'm nothing but another outsider looking in and what i said is how i feel and how it looks to most who aren't in the know but spend a lot of time reading on this forum. As I know from speaking to people who don't know who any of you guys personally but read this stuff. Even a couple yesterday whilst handing out placards to strangers voiced my previous opinion, So please keep that in mind. Especially when you lay blame (in the open where all who aren't fully informed can see and judge) on the people behind the campaign who put a lot of time and effort into this. Including myself somewhat, im not wanting to argue anything, BUT of course I'm going to stick up for these people when i feel its unfair. And i hope you understand that.

Thank you for clearing that up though, as has been pointed out there were/is a lot of issues and stubbourness, on both of these sides. A lot of grey area and miscommunication. Two wrongs obviously didn't make any rights on the day. I know I was disappointed with the banner that went ahead and also disappointed that the pregame MU5 one didnt go ahead at all. I love these visuals! It'd have been great to see both on the night. Obviously you guys were and are pissed off as are MU5.

In its entirety it was a long way off the potential of what yarraside as one could and has before created.

At least the message was still put put there. Hopefully Lessons can be learned. Issues can be sorted.

Edited by billyheart
  • Like 3

Why not send it to CFG?..

Regents Place

10 Brock Street

London

NW1 3FG

Thanks.

It may not end up with anyone, but I'm posting a placard with a personal letter along the lines of this short edited version:

"Your group has recently purchased my football club, and I’m excited about what the new investment and resources may bring to the club. But I'd like to tell you what this club has meant to me as a supporter.

When Melbourne Heart came along, I was ready to give the game and the new club a go, and within no time at all, I again fell in love with being at the football, and more acutely, with the club where I’ve got to know fellow supporters with whom I've shared the wins and losses. And where as a supporter and member, I’ve felt part of the club. I’ve been able to feel that my support mattered and my opinions on certain matters could be heard. The club together with it's supporters have created a fantastic culture and atmosphere.

So when a wealthy investor purchases a football club, they not only buy the licence to operate a club, or the players and facilities etc, they also buy its history, and the supporter’s passions and shared memories, even if the club has only existed for a relatively short four years

This is why it is so important when you take over our club, you don’t take away everything that has meant something to its followers. If a complete rebranding along the lines of Manchester City takes place, it will no longer feel like the club we've been a part of from the start, and the passion and energy I've put into the club may be lost. So if nothing else, please let us keep our red and white for the supporters who have been through the first four years of this journey."

Or something like that anyway.

That's excellent wording

I also believe that would look great in a signed petition by all you fans and presented to the club

The banners and cards are primarily a message to CFG and Heart admin and FFA. I'm sure that they have the message pretty clearly.

Very true bela.  The trick in the world of business is to "focus on the decision maker".  Very hard to do in a campaign like this, all you can really do is ensure that the message will be available to the decision maker. 

I would have thought that the management of Heart FC (including the decision maker- whoever that is) would have been in no doubt how we thought before during and after the game, regardless of whether they had the Herald Sun and Fox Sports in their pocket.

Given the shit few seasons we've had, only the diehard supporters have turned up to home games. Our average attendance numbers over four years excluding derbies and regional matches has already been posted:

2010-11: 13 matches, average 6,059.

2011-12: 11 matches, average 6,473.

2012-13: 12 matches, average 7,077.

2013-14: 11 matches, average 7,255.

So for all our excellent community work, etc, etc, etc we've hardly progressed. A sorry tale it tells. Our poor on field form, and self made image of accepting a second best role in this city has hardly been inspiring to people. So irrespective of any letters we might send them, I expect the new owners to revamp our image from top to bottom. Revamped name, changes to home and away strips, marquee signings and a sign saying "Under New Management". It's what people do when they want to re-launch a business.

Great work by all who were a part of the HKTRW campaign.

It seems as tho it got a lot of media coverage, social media too.

It's amazing how quick things can get done if everyone is working towards the same goal.

Have a good off season.

Melbourne is red and white.

• Like 1

Given the shit few seasons we've had, only the diehard supporters have turned up to home games. Our average attendance numbers over four years excluding derbies and regional matches has already been posted:

2010-11: 13 matches, average 6,059.

2011-12: 11 matches, average 6,473.

2012-13: 12 matches, average 7,077.

2013-14: 11 matches, average 7,255.

So for all our excellent community work, etc, etc, etc we've hardly progressed. A sorry tale it tells. Our poor on field form, and self made image of accepting a second best role in this city has hardly been inspiring to people. So irrespective of any letters we might send them, I expect the new owners to revamp our image from top to bottom. Revamped name, changes to home and away strips, marquee signings and a sign saying "Under New Management". It's what people do when they want to re-launch a business.

Yes, the seasons have gotten worse - from 6th to 9th to 10th. For attendances to still be rising, even incrementally, is remarkable. If we were a winning team, say in the top 4, I'd guess our regular crowds would be similar to last nights, or even better. So whether by design or by accident, something about our club has attracted a loyal following, with a capacity to grow.

I'm sure many of the things City will do will improve our fortunes. But I'd suggest that changing from red and white to blue would do nothing to increase support or crowds in Melbourne. If it were to have any effect, it would likely be negative IMO, at least in dividing our current supporter base.

Let's be honest. The potential changes to name and colours have little to do with winning support in Melbourne. It would be to incorporate us into an easily recognisable global brand.

Edited by Sash

Sheesh, anyone catch the start of the Liverpool Vs Man City game where everyone held up the red and yellow signs to write "96 25 Years"? It looked amazing as the whole 'Kop' end held the signs up in unison.

Obviously done in a much different context, but just imagine if we were allowed to take those placards inside AAMI Park and leave them on the seats for everyone and then held them up altogether...

Considering our circumstances though we still did a good job...I'm glad I could help out and it was nice meeting some of you guys.

See you all in Red & White next season ;-)

• Like 2

Melbourne Heart’s new owners to decide on club’s name, colours in coming months

DAVID DAVUTOVIC HERALD SUN APRIL 13, 2014 9:00PM

MELBOURNE Heart’s new owners have a big decision to make regarding the club’s future, but the playing squad is of least concern despite finishing last after the 3-2 loss to Western Sydney.

A section of Heart fans are running a ‘Keep Melbourne Red and White’ campaign, and held aloft placards at AAMI Park urging Sheikh Mansour’s Manchester City not to convert Heart to sky blue.

While a mooted name change to Melbourne City appears to be favoured by fans, with almost 80 per cent of those surveyed by the Herald Sun after the takeover preferring City to Heart, the colours could be a sticking point.

Heart’s new owners have conducted an extensive survey with current Heart members and thousands more non-aligned fans they are hoping to convert after their $11.25m takeover along with Melbourne Storm.

New York City, the third club in the City football family which joins the MLS in 2015, will wear City’s sky blue.

It’s understood that the City Group’s vision includes having all its clubs play in sky blue, but they will take careful consideration before making a call on Heart.

A potential solution is introducing sky blue as its away strip.

“Our colours are what unite us as supporters. Although we have only been in the competition for four shirt years, we supporters have built a proud culture under the Red and White of Melbourne,’’ the placard

“We welcome the investment from our new owners, but we don’t want it to come at the price of our identity.’’

Coach John van’t Schip and football manager John Didulica depart for Manchester on Tuesday to discuss plans for next season with City’s football department, including manager Manuel Pellegrini, technical director Txiki Begiristain and academy director Brain Marwood.

Heart holds its best and fairest awards on Monday at Crown Palladium.

Edited by n i k o

"It´s understood that.." <_<

It´s a change from the "they might" "It´s assumed that" "looks likely that" but still vague.
No quotes at all.

But yeah I think he´s right that CFG will make a very careful evaluation on what a change of colours would mean.

I'd like to take some credit after nudging him and Lynchy on twitter.

I love how he uses the results of an online HS poll for his "80% of those surveyed". Anyone including Victory supporters could've responded to that so it's hardly scientific. Anyway, it's nice that the effort of the last week or so was recognised at last.

• Like 1

Indeed.  brief and simplistic.

I note he referred to "a section" of Heart fans, trying to belittle the campaign.  At least he acknowledged it exists though.

Well IF they do survey and consult widely, like we keep hearing, they will soon find out that "the section" is actually "most".

• Like 1

I note he referred to "a section" of Heart fans, trying to belittle the campaign.  At least he acknowledged it exists though.

Well IF they do survey and consult widely, like we keep hearing, they will soon find out that "the section" is actually "most".

TBF it is just a "section" that is running it, and even on just this forum the support for the campaign while strong is not overwhelmingly so.

ATM there would be a large portion of Heart fans who have an opinion on the matter, with presumably most being pro red and white, but really only a very small number of fans have taken it upon themselves to do anything about it. 

TBF it is just a "section" that is running it, and even on just this forum the support for the campaign while strong is not overwhelmingly so.

ATM there would be a large portion of Heart fans who have an opinion on the matter, with presumably most being pro red and white, but really only a very small number of fans have taken it upon themselves to do anything about it.

Don't you think those with only an "opinion" unprepared to fight for the colours of their club is what is fundamentally wrong with supporters of our game

Just not enough passion

They want their league to be strong with fantastic matches to watch yet only half care what happens to their club.

That is generally the attitude of most people in Melbourne... being a predominantly AFL state means that Football is always 2nd+ best. 

Most people i know think the league is crap and wont throw there money behind the club - even though that's the first steps to making it a better league.

But also, on the flip side of that - Maybe with Man City taking over, and the promise/show that better football will be played, those supporters will actually jump on-board. 

That is generally the attitude of most people in Melbourne... being a predominantly AFL state means that Football is always 2nd+ best.

Most people i know think the league is crap and wont throw there money behind the club - even though that's the first steps to making it a better league.

But also, on the flip side of that - Maybe with Man City taking over, and the promise/show that better football will be played, those supporters will actually jump on-board.

On top of this, Friday night FTA has certainly turned heads. The tune has changed from some of this euro-snobs

On top of this, Friday night FTA has certainly turned heads. The tune has changed from some of this euro-snobs

We can only hope... lol.

Not to mention that the refs need to loosen their grip on the games a little. lol

A reminder that the campaign hasn't stopped, as won't stop until we have a final decision.

Keep spreading the campaign. Also thanks to the guys who helped out with the cards etc, was fantastic to meet some of you.

I agree. The owners might have the message, but more generally, we've only just started to be noticed. Davutovic has started to get discussion going on the subject - on twitter, blogs etc.

From his blog today:

Now that Heart's season is over when does the city group come in a release some details about their ambition for the club. Also is was good news that city wont turn up for a pre-world cup game (minus their best players) they should only turn up with their best team or dont came to Aus. at all.

Hi Mark, you're right about the tour, would've been a hard sell without the big boys. The City Group will release details in the coming weeks and months, not sure exactly what/when yet, they keep their cards close to their chest.

DD, What is you personal opinion on the talk of the City Football Group changing Melbourne Hearts name/colours?

I'm for the name change but I think they should retain the red and white stripes and have the sky blue as the away kit. If the new owners present a compelling case, then possibly sky blue home and red and white away. But the red and white must be retained in some shape or form.

Will the CFG send out another poll/survey specifically about the colours or are they relying solely on the one sent out a couple of months ago tha included many different aspects?

I think they will rely on that survey for colours amongst other decisions

The fact that he doesn't know any details, and concedes that the owners keep their cards close to their chest is a positive sign that the way it's been presented as almost inevitable in the media has no real foundation. Even after his tour to Manchester, it doesn't sound like he's got any inside info. Also good on him for supporting the retention of red and white!

I'm feeling more positive today.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 2

Very interesting observations. I tend to agree. Of our circle of friends and acquaintances - and I don't pretend that that's a big circle - only four have ever off their own bat mentioned to me anything about Melbourne Heart outside of the flurry of interest at the time of the takeover. Two are blokes I play golf with - one a journo who is a member of Geelong Victory, the other a mate I took to a derby - the third is of Croatian heritage and has a passing interest in the game, and the fourth is someone I know from another pastime of mine and who is a Collingwood tragic and therefore understands what we've gone through for four seasons. The rest are surprised I have an interest in football, even more surprised that I go to the matches, and fall off their chairs when they find out that MrsJW also comes along.

There really is a mountain to climb to generate and sustain more interest in our game generally and our club in particular.

Edited by jw1739

When I was in high school football was rarely mentioned (although it was played). And if people had a football team it was an European team. The Australian teams did not exist as far as we were concerned. Then there was a period of severe anti-football which culminated with a Ron Barassi headline "they are trying to kill our game". Interestingly enough years later I saw him at the MCG for one of the internationals. These days no one I know has any scorn for the local teams. Of course, knowing that so many AFL coaches have borrowed tactics from football, make trips to Juventus, Man U, etc. makes it difficult for people to pour scorn. I also know a few euro snobs but I am not fussed as I know that there are enough people behind the game that the standards will lift and they won't be able to deny that. A  Brazilian mate of mine is also a snob but what is hilarious is that he has no idea about the game.

Sydney FC in blue over new Melbourne Heart colours

April 14, 2014

Dominic Bossi

Sydney FC have lodged a formal complaint to Football Federation Australia in response to an application from Melbourne Heart's new owners to rebrand the A-League team as a franchise of Manchester City, including a change of their playing strip from red and white to sky blue.

Melbourne Heart as we know them may have already played their last game as Fairfax Media has been informed that their new owners submitted a request to the FFA to make the club's name, logo and playing colours synonymous with the English Premier League giants. Under the application, the club will be renamed as Melbourne City, have a new logo and play in a sky blue jersey with white socks and shorts.

However, the proposed changes have not gone down well with the sky blue half of Sydney, with Sydney FC chairman Scott Barlow lodging a formal complaint to the FFA due to the clash of identities. Barlow is unhappy with Heart's bid to play in a similar strip to Sydney FC, who have become so renowned with the colour that "Sky Blues" has become their nickname.

"Sky blue is much more than just a colour for Sydney FC, it's central to our identity. Sky blue represents our club, our harbour city and is the traditional colour of NSW," Barlow said. "We're extremely concerned about the proposed use of sky blue by Melbourne Heart, and we've made our concerns very clear to the FFA."

Manchester City's bid to change the identity of Melbourne Heart is yet to be approved by the FFA, which owns the trademarks of all 10 A-League clubs. It's understood that the FFA is open to the possibility of the rebranding of the Heart, just as they were with Newcastle Jets changing their shirt colours from gold to red and blue following the takeover by Nathan Tinkler in 2010. Any move will be met with fierce resistance by Sydney FC, who are unwilling to share their colour and identity with another club in the A-League.

"In a competition with only 10 teams, the idea of two teams wearing sky blue is nonsensical especially when sky blue is so closely associated with NSW. I believe it's critical to the integrity of the A-League that clubs have identities that are also in representation of where they come from," Barlow said. 

There has been a mixed response from Heart fans over the proposed name change to Melbourne City but a change of colours from red and white stripes to sky blue has been met by widespread protest including large-scale banners displayed at games. Heart's current strip was inspired by the colours of the flag of Melbourne, and banners reading "Keep Melbourne red & white" were on display at the final game of the season against Western Sydney Wanderers on Saturday. 

"In football, club colours are sacred, and they should represent where a club comes from and not the identity of its owner," Barlow said. "Melbourne Heart fans understand and value the history as to why the club wears red and white, and understandably they would want to protest that."

It's not yet known what the new emblem will look like although Manchester City have shown their willingness to give fans some voice with other football investments, such as their MLS club, New York City FC. The New York club will make its debut in 2015 and play in a strip identical to Manchester City although fans were given the choice to select their new emblem which was recently unveiled and incorporated symbols of the city such as the five boroughs and the subway token.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/sydney-fc-in-blue-over-new-melbourne-heart-colours-20140414-zqune.html