Melbourne Football

IN or Out

MUTD/MLBHRT/ESSNDON

191 members have voted

1. 1. If a name and colour change came next season who is IN or Out

Shit attitude is shit ^

i didn't say it wasn't a good idea, i just said it was ambitious. getting MX to do a story????

Hahaha, no problems it's just that our previous Overlords led by the good knight Sir Sidwell had fcuk all ambition while we supporters decried their lack of spunk. Maybe we can show the way and indicate to out next Overlords that we don't die easy LOL ;)

Twitter profile is setting up as we speak. Some great ideas there KM will be getting on board that! This is much more important than uni work haha.

Let me know when it's up and running on Twitter

I run an Arsenal Podcast so I'll help out with some RT's etc from our Twitter account. I also know a couple of blogs over in the UK/Australia who have an interest in the A-League and may want to run a story or two on us, no guarantees on that but I'll touch base with them and see if they're interested.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 1

#4 please.

Also this might be stupid but what are the chances of a press release from the supporter group (whether that's Yarraside, or this forum, or any other kind of supporter group I don't know).

Basically my thinking is that there are a significant amount of articles in the papers that are just rehashed press releases. Big companies and corporations basically write the article they want, release it as a press release and that's an easy article for a journalist or editor to chuck in the paper. Seeing as we know the journalists have no interest in doing the ground work on their own, and frequently aren't even aware of what is happening and why (silent protest etc.), maybe we take it into our own hands and spoon feed them.

If the random Man City support group can have their opinion heard (see articles from when the takeover occurred) then we can take measures to encourage the media to pick up our story for more than just a passing sentence in the match review.

The day the story broke about Man City buying Heart, I gave a 10 minute TV interview to Channel 7 on behalf of Red & White Unite, the Supporter's Association (of which I am the treasurer).  I made it clear that in the majority, Heart fans were cautiously optimistic about the takeover, and would entertain a name change to Melbourne City, but were adamantly opposed to a colour change, particularly to BLUE of all things.  This was just based on the immediate reaction to the news on twitter and the forum and from speaking to people I know.

That interview was meant to be aired on the 6pm news, but other stuff happened and they ended up barely even mentioning Heart at all that night.  Gotta love the mainstream media.  Point being, they should still have that footage, I presume.  Let's give them a reason to air it.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone here has said they'll switch to victory. Most poeple on here never supported victory even when heart didn't exist.

An earlier poster mentioned that they was considering switching. Forgot who it was.

It was me. I was thinking about it again today. At least they have an identity of their own. The only problem is I don't like it. That is why I support Melbourne Heart.

And may we continue to be Melbourne Heart. 

I've had another idea about publicity but I'm almost too embarassed to say it.

Errrr, maybe a couple of RED & WHITE flares could be lit at the game against the bogans. Sure fire way to get news coverage away from WSW and onto our wonderful cause

:hkpalm:      :redcard:

Edited by HEARTinator

The problem is that the focus would solely stay on the flares themselves and we'd lose the message about the colours.

Damn it, I new it was a rotten idea - something more appropriate for NT/MV and RBB thick heads :ph34r:

Yep when work wears you down you might as well amuse yourself with some absurd possibilities :lol:

Edited by HEARTinator

What ways have been considered of getting the message direct to Manchester City, or even to Melbourne Heart? For example, my understanding is that Yarraside have good communication links to the club, and we also have people serving on the FRG?

• Like 1

As others have stated above, people need to ask themselves what are the reasons that they love the club for.

For me, its mainly to do with the people associated that I have come to love the club for. As someone that travels up most weeks either by myself or with the mrs or with someone that tags along to check it out, it's been getting to know all the guys and girls involved with Yarraside, RWU, or general fans, going on away trips and partying with people you've never met before, pre-game imp sessions or even the odd away day at the imp, Pre-season games etc. All these often random experiences and meeting lots of great people who share a common love of the great Red & Whites is why I'm here.

Sure success is desired and there are always ways to do things better and improve ourselves, but at the end of the day its the good times that I've had with the group that has kept me coming back.

Personally, I'm dead against the change of Home colours and am happy for us to make some sort of display showing our Mancunian overlords where our true feelings lie, BUT if push comes to shove and we are forced, will I be back?

Look yeh I will, but if that affects others around the club to the point that they walk away then that is going to be a massive shame and an even bigger loss to what is the best professional club supporter culture I've been involved in.

Passion will certainly be nowhere near as high as it is now. You never know, perhaps down the track it will come back but imo that's not the sort of risk I'd be gambling on with a club as unique as Heart.

• Like 3

I am all for keeping the colours and the name of the club. But I became a member because I felt the team stood for principles I believed in. Such as playing youth and creative, free flowing football. 

So far the club has thrown those ideals away and given us crap leadership, crap football and has-been 30 something players. As much as I don;t want to see my team in blue, I just want to see the core philosophies come back to the club. If this means a colour swap, I'll begrudgingly accept it. But please invest in youth and pretty football. 

• Like 3

I'm in either way.

I just can't follow MV and this may well be a chance to make this a club that can actually contend for the title.Tbh, success will likely bring more fans than a name anyway, which I am sure the owners will value in any decision making.

The one benefit of a name change will hopefully be stopping the Heart puns in every headline :)

Unfortunately, I just can't see Man City keeping the colours as is, or the name. The only thing that would stop them would likely be the inability to secure the Melbourne City name, which would leave them in a difficult position. I think the best we can hope for is a red and white away strip.

For all; the talk that the club will talk to fans, all the work going on to register names suggests that they have well and truly made up their minds on what they want to do. Consultation will just be trying to appease some really, similar to how many saw the selection of the Melbourne Heart name as a done deal before the Herald Sun competition. Unfortunate but true.

Edited by Heart_fan

We now have the twitter page going but if its worth anything i believe a Facebook page or tag will be much more effective.
As it Stands the change in colour as well as a change in name would probably see me calling it quits, if this is the case the CFG need to realise the passion the supporters hold for this club and the fact that through years of failure we remain forever loyal to OUR club

We now have the twitter page going but if its worth anything i believe a Facebook page or tag will be much more effective.

As it Stands the change in colour as well as a change in name would probably see me calling it quits, if this is the case the CFG need to realise the passion the supporters hold for this club and the fact that through years of failure we remain forever loyal to OUR club

Done.

https://www.facebook.com/keeptheredandwhite

I would love to be a fly on the wall at their current discussions.

With the research they are doing, it would be very interesting to see what is coming out.

IF people are indicating that success and style of play are bigger factors than a name and colours during this reseach, the business brain of theirs would take over quickly. IF the current fans were indicating in large numbers that they will not support the club if the name and colours changed, then their plans would certainly be harder to execute.

i'm a big fan of keeping the colours, where as the name change from "heart" to "city" doesn't phase me too much. I guess these things happen sometimes, and it will definitely not stop me from attending the matches. I hope that something stops them from getting rid of the red and white but unfortunately i don't see it happening.

Going by the poll in this thread, there's about 50% of people that would leave. If you take that sample and translate it into how many "core" supporters we have as a club (members), you would probably lose around 3,500 at the start. Honestly, a fair chunk of those would most likely come back to the club later down the track, and i'm sure Man. City know that.

Man. City also know, that this takeover will be one of the biggest things in Australian football history and the amount of supporters, members and people who would be genuinely interested in the club is going to be enormous. In the end, they believe they have a winning formula and they don't want to change that because they know they will eventually be successful in all aspects. I really don't think they care about the 2,000 or so supporters they will lose when they may gain 10 times that. It's the unfortunate reality, but that's business.

• Like 1

So these people think they'll wave a sky blue jersey from a flag pole and all the Euro-snobs will suddenly start attending matches?

They are in for a rude shock.

Man City will need the supporters Heart already has.  Some might come slinking back, depserate fro live football, but others just won't bother.  They will be waiting till Man City give up and a new club is set up in its place, or not. 

I voted out.  If they change the name and the colours in one go, with effectively no consultation, it shows how they value supporters.  They can stick it (google what that means, ya Pommie Bastards!).   Luton Town supporters smoked out John Gurney by gonig on strike and not buying season tickets.  Granted, Gurney needed the cash, but the same approach would scare the hell out of the Manchurians.  Will not be a member under sky blue.

• Like 1

i'm a big fan of keeping the colours, where as the name change from "heart" to "city" doesn't phase me too much. I guess these things happen sometimes, and it will definitely not stop me from attending the matches. I hope that something stops them from getting rid of the red and white but unfortunately i don't see it happening.

Going by the poll in this thread, there's about 50% of people that would leave. If you take that sample and translate it into how many "core" supporters we have as a club (members), you would probably lose around 3,500 at the start. Honestly, a fair chunk of those would most likely come back to the club later down the track, and i'm sure Man. City know that.

Man. City also know, that this takeover will be one of the biggest things in Australian football history and the amount of supporters, members and people who would be genuinely interested in the club is going to be enormous. In the end, they believe they have a winning formula and they don't want to change that because they know they will eventually be successful in all aspects. I really don't think they care about the 2,000 or so supporters they will lose when they may gain 10 times that. It's the unfortunate reality, but that's business.

I'm afraid that you cannot possibly draw any conclusions on what 7,315 members might do from a poll of (as it stands) of 91 people. Simply statistically not valid.

• Like 3

Done.

https://www.facebook.com/keeptheredandwhite

Sweet.

I know most of this is aimed at the CFG but all the journo's and Foxsports will be heading to AAMI in a week and a half with their stories already written, so it will take a real effort to get them to stray from that.

So you are saying that the only reason you have a season ticket to Melbourne Heart matches is because of the red-and-white colours? Meaning that you would not have become a member if the colours had been anything else? I find that astonishing, if not incredible.

This is half correct. I didn't "follow" any Australian sokkah before heart came along. I was attracted to the team because of the colours. And when I found out Ando was in, I joined a season later. Now I'm a member because of the colours and I have friends here. I don't care what style of football or who we get to play, just as long as we score more goals than the other teams. This is MY opinion, not yours.

Alright lads,

Just had a chat to a mate who writes for an English based website called '89th minute' which is normally Arsenal geared but open to talking about other teams and leagues. A couple of the blokes on there have taken an interest in the A-League and are interested in our plight, they're looking at writing a piece up for us as we speak, I'll let you know when it's all good to go.

He's taken some quotes from myself, so a bit of the article will be around my personal opinions but having read a lot of comments on here I feel that my feelings regarding the colours are probably echoed by more than a few.

If anything I'm hoping that this may just bring some light onto our current situation and inform those in the wider football community of what is happening to our club down here in Australia.

Here's their website if you want to read some of their previous articles: http://89thminute.co.uk/

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 6