Melbourne Football

IN or Out

MUTD/MLBHRT/ESSNDON

191 members have voted

1. 1. If a name and colour change came next season who is IN or Out

IN for the name change.

OUT for the colour change. Just the thought of AAMI Park being filled with sky blue shirts at our home games is sickening. With Victory being navy blue and Sydney already sky blue, two of my most hated teams in the A League no less, it would be extremely hard to support the colour change. 

Melbourne is RED AND WHITE! 

IN for the name change.

OUT for the colour change. Just the thought of AAMI Park being filled with sky blue shirts at our home games is sickening. With Victory being navy blue and Sydney already sky blue, two of my most hated teams in the A League no less, it would be extremely hard to support the colour change. 

Melbourne is RED AND WHITE! 

I never liked the name "Heart" in Melbourne, but that hasn't stopped me being a member every year. 

Now think Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal. All red. Their supporters all manage to cope with that.

While I like the red and white stripes and prefer them to light blue, red and white stripes also reminds me of Sunderland etc. etc.  Red and white stripes are not colours unique to us.

For me it's not the end of the world being light blue.

Far more important is the quality of the football being played on the pitch and the fact that we now are a club that will have a clear blueprint for its future, with lack of money not being an obstacle.

Among the many things we can look forward to in the future will be playing attractive, attacking football and developing, as a collective group, the highest quality young players that have ever been seen in this country.

Edited by Parrot

Out. As Will Sparks famously once said - "tell em get fuarkked"

That was Jake Mandas on a Matty Lincoln chune bra.

Was actually Michael Caton as Darryl Kerrigan in "The Castle"

It was actually me.... Telling AGC to relay this message to a lovely couple who waved their membership cards in bay 18 claiming that 2 of the 6 seats which 6 of us were standing in front of we're theirs.

I never liked the idea of going sky blue but reading the passion on here from some people has me thinking it's a very bad idea. Let's do something BIG next home game to show we want the red and white. I'm happy to donate funds to any tifo making venture. Let's make one that's HUGE. 

This is a case of Theseus's Paradox also known as the Ship of Theseus.

If you replace one-by-one all the parts of Theseus's ship, is it still the same ship? Some people will argue it's a different ship because all its parts have been replaced with new parts. Others will argue that every part replaced becomes part of the original ship thus it still remains Theseus's ship!

The same question applies to Heart; if you change our name, our logo, our colours are we still the same club? Some will say no, but I say as long as the City Group brings in enough resources that will make us bigger, better and smash the tards every time we play them then I will continue to support this club!

For the record - and I think like most - it wouldn't kill me if they changed our name to Melbourne City FC because we will always be "The Heart" and potentially kill all the stupid journos' "What/who do we stand for question", but I would HATE it if they changed our colours!

Everyone saying out - I ask you this - if we were called Melbourne City and wore sky blue from day one, then changed our name to Melbourne Heart and wore red and white stripes, would you continue to support the club?

i didnt support any ALeague team before Heart came along, I only chose to support Heart because I liked the colours and I was curious about soccer (I had only been to 2 games before, Aus v NZ at MCG & Celtic v MV at AAMI). Didnt goto any games in the first season, as I was busy. And didnt have any reason to go. The next season however, Ando invited me down. Ive been a member ever since.

So to answer your question, if they wore Sky Blue from day one, I wouldnt have been to any of the games.

I'd be pretty interested if they were changing from Sky Blue to red and white now tho.

But seeing its the other way round, I cant see myself supporting a new name and colours. So I will go back to not worrying about ALeague.

Edited by dRoy

I never liked the idea of going sky blue but reading the passion on here from some people has me thinking it's a very bad idea. Let's do something BIG next home game to show we want the red and white. I'm happy to donate funds to any tifo making venture. Let's make one that's HUGE.

This 100%

They said they would listen, and we spoke by putting up a Melbourne Flag which got next to no coverage on TV and has been completely ignored in the countless articles saying we're probably going to change colours.

We clearly need to speak louder. We need to make one last big push, something that can't be ignored, something CFG will be asked about and have to answer to, or our club as we know it will cease to exist.

I think a card tifo of red and white stripes from bay 15-19 from top to bottom (would need to get everyone in the stadium including prem a and prem b ticket holders) would get our message across well, as well as show that all our fans are behind this and not just active supporters.

That's just my idea, I'm sure yside core would probably have their own. But if anything big is planned, I'll chip in $100

Edited by Tbitm
  • Like 4

i didnt support any ALeague team before Heart came along, I only chose to support Heart because I liked the colours and I was curious about soccer (I had only been to 2 games before, Aus v NZ at MCG & Celtic v MV at AAMI). Didnt goto any games in the first season, as I was busy. And didnt have any reason to go. The next season however, Ando invited me down. Ive been a member ever since.

So to answer your question, if they wore Sky Blue from day one, I wouldnt have been to any of the games.

I'd be pretty interested if they were changing from Sky Blue to red and white now tho.

But seeing its the other way round, I cant see myself supporting a new name and colours. So I will go back to not worrying about ALeague.

So you'll give up on your ongoing good experiences with Ando and others based SOLELY on the colours the players wear?

In my opinion, you're not a real fan anyway then. Nothing disrespectful meant by that, but you'd be classified as a fair-weather.

Absolute lunacy.

• Like 3

I don't think anyone here has said they'll switch to victory. 

No but they have said they "considered it". I think that's more a way of saying "I hate the idea of going sky blue so much I would even consider following them". 

My new team would be anyone playing Melboune city :up:

This 100%

They said they would listen, and we spoke by putting up a Melbourne Flag which got next to no coverage on TV and has been completely ignored in the countless articles saying we're probably going to change colours.

We clearly need to speak louder. We need to make one last big push, something that can't be ignored, something CFG will be asked about and have to answer to, or our club as we know it will cease to exist.

I think a card tifo of red and white stripes from bay 15-19 from top to bottom (would need to get everyone in the stadium including prem a and prem b ticket holders) would get our message across well, as well as show that all our fans are behind this and not just active supporters.

That's just my idea, I'm sure yside core would probably have their own. But if anything big is planned, I'll chip in $100

I like this idea but if its a choice out of this or a huge banner with words I would choose words. Simply having colours can just look like regular support (if somewhat impressive for the a-league). Maybe the above card tifo idea but with words? Does that work? Something simple like "MELBOURNE IS RED AND WHITE" or "KEEP THE RED AND WHITE"? So everyone has white cards except for people in seats that make up the words have red cards? 

People who know more about TIFO creation can chime in but I am adamant we need a simple worded message that can be read from outer space. 

Edited by Alexxandro

It's certainly a difficult question and one that I feel there's no real 'correct answer' to.

I've been a fan of the Heart since the club was founded/created/whatever however have only been a member and regular attendee of home games from the beginning of this season, previous to that I guess I was a casual fan who supported the club from a distance. I liked the community and grass-roots focus they took and found the club itself to be a lovely contrast to the vile scum in blue who I found myself hating pretty much from day dot.

Since my first game at AAMI Park though I absolutely fell in love with the club; standing and singing in Yarraside with my mates (both new and old), enjoying the ups (as few as they have been) and suffering horribly through the lows and of course, wearing the red and white with pride.

I don't want to sit here and say I'll be 'in' or 'out' because I truly don't know. I understand that many clubs change names/colours over time but that is usually at the choice of the club itself and its members, not because someone purchases the club and forces these changes onto the fans. My biggest concern is that this won't feel like MY club anymore, sure it'll play at the same ground, contain most of the same players and coaching staff but will my mates and all the people who put so many hours into this club still be in the stand? I'm not sure. Will it feel the same watching the lads run around in Blue of all colours? I don't think so.

I want success like everyone else here, but I want MY club to be successful, not a new entity that replaces them. Think about it, if this all comes to fruition and 'we' win the Championship within a few years will it feel right watching a team in Sky Blue stand on that podium and accept that reward? I really don't think so.

I have refrained from voting here and will continue to do so, because until/if it happens I have no idea what I'll do. 

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 1

As far as I see it, MELBOURNE IS RED AND WHITE.
I've grown to enjoy the name Heart, but am still not 100% favourable towards it, so I wouldn't really mind a name change to City.
However if the colours are changed, I think I'd struggle to view it as the same club I currently love.

TL;DR: name change: in; colour change: out.

As I posted yesterday morning in the other "Man City Takeover Thread" for me a name change and colour change (Which I would put good money on going ahead) means that Melbourne Heart will cease to exist and new club called Melbourne City has been born.

I then have a decision to make on whether I support this new club...

TBH my love of watching live sport (Soccer and Footy for that matter) sees me catch a wide range of matches through out Greater Melbourne at a number of levels... So with this is mind I probably would attend City matches to see Soccer and to see my mates but I will def not spend the amount of time away from games that like I do now for Melbourne Heart for Melbourne City.

agreed with this.

also, 90% of you guys saying you are 'out', you will actually start coming back before you know it. 

i like to think that I wouldn't support a team in sky blue from Melbourne - however I would also get desperate for some live football action so... 

This 100%

I like this idea but if its a choice out of this or a huge banner with words I would choose words. Simply having colours can just look like regular support (if somewhat impressive for the a-league). Maybe the above card tifo idea but with words? Does that work? Something simple like "MELBOURNE IS RED AND WHITE" or "KEEP THE RED AND WHITE"? So everyone has white cards except for people in seats that make up the words have red cards? 

People who know more about TIFO creation can chime in but I am adamant we need a simple worded message that can be read from outer space.

I agree text should be part of the tifo, but text from cards can be hard to read, from what I've seen. Probably a banner "MELBOURNE IS RED AND WHITE", or of something more witty all along the front would look good.

I have sent off a few emails asking for quotes for 1000 A4 sized cardboard placards, with the words "Keep Melbourne Red and White" on them, that can be handed out and held up by supporters at our last home game.

When I hear back how much it'll cost, we can start a thread and start organising to get a groundswell movement going to fight any possible changes.

Good to hear, I just a quick look online and to get 5 bay's worth of red and white A3 paper would cost roughly $600. Something to note when we start a new thread for ideas.

Are you sure A4 is big enough? I know wanderers used A3 for their card tifo here post-641-0-42488300-1396321229_thumb.jpg

FYI, this is what I'm using as evidence words are hard to make out on cards, it's barely legible and it's just 3 letters.

my 2 cents on the placards

no need to spell it out ( extra chanting of Melbourne is Red & White , thru the match)

just lots of red and white A3 placards, these held up in numbers will get the message across

the fact that its HK's last match will probably get another 3k in the turnstiles( maybe I'm being optimistic) but if we could have them with Red & White as well it would create a statement

I'm good for $ 100 if someone wants to set up a paypal collection

Edited by japiedog
  • Like 1

This 100%

That's just my idea, I'm sure yside core would probably have their own. But if anything big is planned, I'll chip in $100 I like this idea but if its a choice out of this or a huge banner with words I would choose words. Simply having colours can just look like regular support (if somewhat impressive for the a-league). Maybe the above card tifo idea but with words? Does that work? Something simple like "MELBOURNE IS RED AND WHITE" or "KEEP THE RED AND WHITE"? So everyone has white cards except for people in seats that make up the words have red cards? 

People who know more about TIFO creation can chime in but I am adamant we need a simple worded message that can be read from outer space. I agree text should be part of the tifo, but text from cards can be hard to read, from what I've seen. Probably a banner "MELBOURNE IS RED AND WHITE", or of something more witty all along the front would look good.

I have sent off a few emails asking for quotes for 1000 A4 sized cardboard placards, with the words "Keep Melbourne Red and White" on them, that can be handed out and held up by supporters at our last home game.

When I hear back how much it'll cost, we can start a thread and start organising to get a groundswell movement going to fight any possible changes.

Good to hear, I just a quick look online and to get 5 bay's worth of red and white A3 paper would cost roughly $600. Something to note when we start a new thread for ideas.

Are you sure A4 is big enough? I know wanderers used A3 for their card tifo here attachicon.gifimage.jpg

FYI, this is what I'm using as evidence words are hard to make out on cards, it's barely legible and it's just 3 letters.

I meant A3, and tbh, I think this needs to include all fans from all sections of the ground.

Something that can be held up during the game by fans, whenever there's a corner, or a throw in, that will be captured on camera. That's why each placard will have the message on it. That way the message definitely won't be missed by our owners.

A message banner will be organised for the yarraside bays, and someone else has already suggested we get red and white balloons ordered aswell.

I'm happy for other people to ask for quotes, or make banners, or startup twitter and facebook accounts or whatever at this stage.

I'm just trying to get the ball rolling.

• Like 2

This game against Western Sydney is our last chance to make our voices heard really, so I think it is of great benefit to go all out, chant about staying red and white, etc. The cards are a good idea, and may be a good way of getting GA involved, and if the new owners don't listen after all of this, then it is pretty obvious to me where their priorities lie, because it certainly wouldn't be with the fans of this club who have stuck by it through some awful times.

my 2 cents on the placards

no need to spell it out ( extra chanting of Melbourne is Red & White , thru the match)

just lots of red and white A3 placards, these held up in numbers will get the message across

the fact that its HK's last match will probably get another 3k in the turnstiles( maybe I'm being optimistic) but if we could have them with Red & White as well it would create a statement

I'm good for $ 100 if someone wants to set up a paypal collection

count me in for $100 too

This is a case of Theseus's Paradox also known as the Ship of Theseus.

If you replace one-by-one all the parts of Theseus's ship, is it still the same ship? Some people will argue it's a different ship because all its parts have been replaced with new parts. Others will argue that every part replaced becomes part of the original ship thus it still remains Theseus's ship!

The same question applies to Heart; if you change our name, our logo, our colours are we still the same club? Some will say no, but I say as long as the City Group brings in enough resources that will make us bigger, better and smash the tards every time we play them then I will continue to support this club!

For the record - and I think like most - it wouldn't kill me if they changed our name to Melbourne City FC because we will always be "The Heart" and potentially kill all the stupid journos' "What/who do we stand for question", but I would HATE it if they changed our colours!

I think in this case you should also include the ship's flag for it to be a valid metaphor. 

I am good for some cash as well. 

If most of the Southern members area has red and White cards to surround any banners the Yarrside boys set up then that would be a good outcome. Can't rely on all participating but something simply that the rest of the GA can participate in is very doable.

If most of the Southern members area has red and White cards to surround any banners the Yarrside boys set up then that would be a good outcome. Can't rely on all participating but something simply that the rest of the GA can participate in is very doable.

for the Swan Street end as well

Having seen the WSW banner with just three letters it's clear that words won't work...

So like people are saying simply get everyone to hold up colours and maybe a banner in Yarraside. 

What about outside the game going around and handing out A3 cards to people and telling them the threat to the colours and asking them to join in the chant. 

I bet you most fans care about the red and white but perhaps don't follow the news as closely as us. We go around handing out the cards and asking people to join in the chant then that could make a big difference to noise we make and how many cards are held up.

This is it- time to stand up for the red and white. Lets collect the money and see how much we have. If we have enough to print 5000 A3 Cards then do that. If we have enough to hire Beyonce to run naked around the field holding a red and white flag then let's do that. 

• Like 3

Having seen the WSW banner with just three letters it's clear that words won't work...

So like people are saying simply get everyone to hold up colours and maybe a banner in Yarraside. 

What about outside the game going around and handing out A3 cards to people and telling them the threat to the colours and asking them to join in the chant. 

I bet you most fans care about the red and white but perhaps don't follow the news as closely as us. We go around handing out the cards and asking people to join in the chant then that could make a big difference to noise we make and how many cards are held up.

This is it- time to stand up for the red and white. Lets collect the money and see how much we have. If we have enough to print 5000 A3 Cards then do that. If we have enough to hire Beyonce to run naked around the field holding a red and white flag then let's do that. 

As long as you can organise the Beyonce part !!!

I couldn't care less, as long as it's not rainbow color.

The only thing that could concern me is it turns into the NBL scenario where the 2nd Melbourne team gets changed around so much, it ends up losing all it's fans.  Our club can't be seen as easily interchangable and cheap like that.  I think this is a once in a lifetime situation though.

The only thing that could concern me is it turns into the NBL scenario where the 2nd Melbourne team gets changed around so much, it ends up losing all it's fans.  Our club can't be seen as easily interchangable and cheap like that.  I think this is a once in a lifetime situation though.

I was a Magic fan as a young lad, my Dad used to take my cousins and I to watch them just about every home game, always had a great time. We were devastated when they became the Giants/Titans, never watched another game.

I was a Magic fan as a young lad, my Dad used to take my cousins and I to watch them just about every home game, always had a great time. We were devastated when they became the Giants/Titans, never watched another game.

I have thought of the exact same situation this week as well...

I probably was not as big a fan as yourself but the exact same thing happened to me in that I lived SE at the time and had mates who played for their Rep teams for their Feeder Club: The Nunawading Spectres...  

So I used to attend games with my Uncle. We used to try go to the Derbies against The Tigers and The Giants as they got big crowds and consequently I developed a dislike for both sides.

I kept up with results even when I moved to Perth in 1996 but when the club merged with the Giants and kept the shocking Charlotte Hornet Colours that the Giants had only adopted a couple of years earlier I gave up on the NBL for good... giving only the slightest of interest to South Dragon scores in their brief time in the comp.

for the Swan Street end as well

All sides if possible.