Melbourne Football

Tertiary Education Topic - Uni/TAFE etc.

Nate

I fucking love both accounting and economics. Don't know which way to try and go career wise.

Obviously way more accounting jobs but I probably enjoy economics a fair bit more.

I would like to go back to uni at some stage and do an economics degree, though it isn't likely to happen.

For me I guess the next big bit of study I will be doing is Masters of Tax.

Out of curiosity, what sort of accounting do you like? Management, Financial, Taxation?

I used to like Financial when I was at uni, but since leaving uni I find myself strongly drawn to taxation advisory (not to be confused with tax compliance)

I fucking love both accounting and economics. Don't know which way to try and go career wise.

Obviously way more accounting jobs but I probably enjoy economics a fair bit more.

I would like to go back to uni at some stage and do an economics degree, though it isn't likely to happen.

For me I guess the next big bit of study I will be doing is Masters of Tax.

Out of curiosity, what sort of accounting do you like? Management, Financial, Taxation?

I used to like Financial when I was at uni, but since leaving uni I find myself strongly drawn to taxation advisory (not to be confused with tax compliance)

• Like 3

Financial accounting is what I find the most fun I suppose. I feel like Management Accounting would be a far more interesting career though.

Would love to do forensic accounting but haven't really looked into what qualifications, experience etc are required to land a job in the field. I also imagine job openings would be few and far between.

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

@Malloy I have 4 units left to do now. In a pickle as to whether I finish all 4 next year or take the extra 6 months and spread it out. Also not sure which 2 I should do at the same time, thinking Tax & GSL as it feels like it would be a good balance of Calculations/Maths and straight out theory or even SMA & GSL, would you agree that Tax & SMA would be a bit full on to do at the same time if I'm also working?

Subjects remaining as it stands:
Strategic Management Accounting (Struggled with Management Accounting in uni, although I passed on my first attempt)
Global Strategy & Leadership (Got no idea what to expect here, from what I could gather on other forums it's pretty in depth and lots of theory)
Elective 1 Advanced Taxation (Worked in public practice for 8 years so have a good head start here imo, will probably be the easiest for me)

Elective 2 Choice between Advanced Audit & Assurance, Financial Risk Management & Contemporary Business Issues. I think Auditing would be the most relevant but then think to my Auditing classes at Uni and realise I'm a lost cunt.

Has anyone else done an advanced study in auditing? How difficult?

How did you go with setting aside time to study in your first two? If you are driven enough to study and happy to give up the time, doing 2 subjects wouldn't be a huge issue. As you said with tax you already have a head start so if you are going to double up you would double up tax and something else.

Imo if you aren't going to work in audit I wouldn't choose audit. The CA structure is a bit different to CPA with only 5 subjects and all compulsory, as such I did do audit and it was gay.

Without knowing anything about it, your other option for elective 2 does seem more relevant to business services and would compliment the role you are in and the level of advice you give to clients.

How did you go with setting aside time to study in your first two? If you are driven enough to study and happy to give up the time, doing 2 subjects wouldn't be a huge issue. As you said with tax you already have a head start so if you are going to double up you would double up tax and something else.

Imo if you aren't going to work in audit I wouldn't choose audit. The CA structure is a bit different to CPA with only 5 subjects and all compulsory, as such I did do audit and it was gay.

Without knowing anything about it, your other option for elective 2 does seem more relevant to business services and would compliment the role you are in and the level of advice you give to clients.

If anything I probably set aside more time than I actually needed because I do procrastinate a bit. I don't remember studying for more than 1-2 hours a week during Uni but this first year of CPA I was putting in about 10 hours a week for 1 subject and the results showed.

Cheers for the heads up on auditing, my tutor at uni for Auditing worked for the Ombudsman (IIRC) and had some good stories to tell regarding Government agencies, Unis/TAFES and worst of all the police force. In terms of the accounting industry I think Auditing would probably be one of the more interesting roles to work in but obviously very hard to get into.

Does anyone have any knowledge of Aerospace Engineering? Contemplating returning to Uni and giving it a go. I know it's a difficult course (probably the most difficult engineering course IMO) but the kid in me wants to design and develop parts and planes.

Perhaps might do it at Swinburne or La Trobe. Need to look into it more

Finished my first year of my Bachelor of Business with 6 A's, absolutely buzzing!

The best advice I could give to anyone is to change courses if you're not satisfied with what you're doing, after a year and a half of struggling through a Bachelor of Education I couldn't be happier I dropped out and am now doing something I love instead.

It's pretty much a mixed bag, it's great but since it's so varied it probably only scratches the surface (but I guess that's what post-grad is for). It's good to gather all the different business field perspectives anyway though I think.

My first year consisted of Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Management, Economics and Statistics with future areas including Human Resources, Ethics, Business Law etc.

• 3 months later...

bump.

so looking at some uni options now being in year 11.

Keen to do commerce with a particular focus on business. I also love my sport management but I cant help but feel those are particularly dropkick degrees.

anyone have any experiences with Melbourne or monash commerce? interstate unis?

Get ready to do a lot Group Assignments with PPL who aren't that great at English... maybe brush up on your Chinese - Kevin Rudd style if you are thinking of Melbourne.

• Like 1

bump.

Keen to do commerce with a particular focus on business. I also love my sport management but I cant help but feel those are particularly dropkick degrees.

I'm 2nd year Bachelor of Business in Sport Management at La Trobe at the moment which is of a reasonable standard although like you said, there are plenty of dropkicks expecting an easy ride. I think it's the kind of degree that you have to do a lot of volunteer work and placement on the side if you want to set yourself apart from the other graduates but there's seriously nothing better than studying in a field which you love and I've never been happier studying than I am right now. 

bump.

If you are wanting to eventually earn money in sport admin/business, a general commerce degree with good marks will get you much further than a sports management degree.

• Like 3

bump.

If you are wanting to eventually earn money in sport admin/business, a general commerce degree with good marks will get you much further than a sports management degree.

This.

I also think that people can get to caught up with Degree Names when it comes to these Vocational Fancy Named Arts Degrees, when you do things like Journalism, International Relations and the like at the end of the day you still end up with a Bachelor of Arts - Just one with a very very specific major.

If this is all you want to do and you have an intense passion for the specific subject matter then fair enough but a more varied BA especially if you can manage a double major by choosing the right subjects is going to allow you to branch out more when looking for employment. 

Edited by cadete

You said that you're keen for a commerce degree with a focus on business.

Monash offer a Bachelor of Business and a Bachelor of Commerce. Business is done at Caulfield and Commerce at Clayton. Commerce requires you to have studied Methods as a minimum whereas Business requires Further (not sure if these names are still in use).

The difference is purely in the level of difficulty regarding the mathematical concepts. Core units are quite similar and then the majors are relatively similar again but there are differences (Comm is a little 'harder').

Also, Commerce is seen as more prestigious as the ATAR is about 10 points higher.

Hope this helps.

One of my classes for my Bachelor of Arts is 'Professional and Career Development'. It is boring, but it has seriously got me thinking about what I am actually going to do after my degree. I am seriously considering translating and interpreting.

I can understand why they make arts students do that class. The only people who do a Bachelor of Arts are people who have no idea what they want to do.
*Apologies to anybody whose done a Bachelor of Arts* :P

Arts doesn't prepare you for a job, per se. At least not compared to something like Engineering. Instead of being vocational, Arts is educational.

I found that it gave me a broad understanding of many things. One thing it has over other degrees is it greatly improves your communication, social and interpersonal skills (personal experience).

The great thing about Arts is no matter your major, you can head to a Master's in whatever you wish (within reason). I was a Social Science (Psych / Sociology) major, I took a year off and I'm currently studying a Master's in Business focusing on IR and HR.

Keep your options open, you'll be happier that way IMO.

Edited by strider
  • Like 1

Arts doesn't prepare you for a job, per se. At least not compared to something like Engineering. Instead of being vocational, Arts is educational.

I found that it gave me a broad understanding of many things. One thing it has over other degrees is it greatly improves your communication, social and interpersonal skills (personal experience).

The great thing about Arts is no matter your major, you can head to a Master's in whatever you wish (within reason). I was a Social Science (Psych / Sociology) major, I took a year off and I'm currently studying a Master's in Business focusing on IR and HR.

I would argue also that one of the best things about doing Arts is the ease in which to meet attractive normal girls myself.

• Like 2

I would argue also that one of the best things about doing Arts is the ease in which to meet attractive normal girls myself.

Lmao, that too!

• 2 weeks later...

bump.

Noob question, appreciate others to comment

So since I'm currently doing sport management @ Deakin (majoring in marketing) would it be wise to finish this and take up another degree like commerce? Since I have already covered its core units from sport mgt, I can then proceed to jump straight into a major + electives? my electives cover management so would I just go along with it and do Bachelor of Commerce - management since I'm pretty comfortable in that section of business

After reading this thread I feel a bit confused and already doubting my current course will have much use after I graduate.

Edited by Young Polak

While I can't strictly speak for your course or outlook YP, I can draw on my experience.

I am not even remotely qualified for the job I currently have. But hard work, persistence and a good approach to work will get you a long way. Volunteer, take internships and make sure that your resume will read extremely well, regardless of the qualification that you have.

Hard work and a good work ethic will get you a long way.

• Like 1

While I can't strictly speak for your course or outlook YP, I can draw on my experience.

I am not even remotely qualified for the job I currently have. But hard work, persistence and a good approach to work will get you a long way. Volunteer, take internships and make sure that your resume will read extremely well, regardless of the qualification that you have.

Hard work and a good work ethic will get you a long way.

Yeah, had the idea from a close friend who says it usually depends how much you stand out from the crowd with your personality and the work experience under your belt which you can put into your resume since employers get excited about that.

Probably should explore the job shop my uni runs.

Edited by Young Polak

bump.

So since I'm currently doing sport management @ Deakin (majoring in marketing) would it be wise to finish this and take up another degree like commerce? Since I have already covered its core units from sport mgt, I can then proceed to jump straight into a major + electives? my electives cover management so would I just go along with it and do Bachelor of Commerce - management since I'm pretty comfortable in that section of business

After reading this thread I feel a bit confused and already doubting my current course will have much use after I graduate.

Listen mate, I'm not saying that the course is completely pointless. Like with anything, if you work hard enough and get yourself out there, you will eventually stumble into some line of work that is related to your study. Deakin also seems to be pretty good at helping you out with contacts and networking from what I've seen in my short time at the uni, so make the most of those opportunities.

Like the others have said also, Uni isn't a vocational training device, it's simply a way to further your knowledge in an area, which happens to make you more attractive to future employers.

My personal issue with Sport Management was that it seems to be narrowing future employment options, which is an issue for me, as I don't actually know what I want to end up doing. For instance, it would be highly unlikely for someone in a sport management course to end up doing accounting in a regular business, as it's not a key focus of the sport degree. Yet someone who has studied accounting at a uni could quite easily end up using those skills in a sporting organisation.

Basically, if you already know 100% what you want to do for a job, and your course is going to get you there, embrace the motivation and passion and strive hard to eventually land that job. However if you don't know about your future, except for the fact that business and sport interest you, then maybe look at doing a generic business degree. That way you will still have the same skills as the bloke in sport management, however it is more likely that you will locate your major interest whilst exploring a wider variety of areas, and can then re-focus your energy from there.

As for the specifics of choosing majors and switching degrees, I can't really help, still trying to figure it all out myself. However, I know that most of the core business units I'd studied in Sport Management could have been used for credit in my current degree, so you certainly have options there.

Edited by AyeCee
  • Like 1

bump.

After reading this thread I feel a bit confused and already doubting my current course will have much use after I graduate. If you are fair dinkum about sports management how about volunteering at a local sports club? Most clubs never have enough people to do everything and unless run by sociopaths they will want all the help they can get. For instance helping them identity, bid for & win government grants would be fantastic experience. Probably need to flip a burger or 2 to enhance your credibility as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thoughts on an International Studies degree.. Is it worthwhile in terms of career options?

**Not for myself for people that know me

Its just a BA that is narrowed down into one subject, 

IMO you would be better advised to do a BA that gives you a wider range of knowledge... if you really like International Studies you can just take a lot of International Studies units anyway. 

This then leaves you with a more varied degree if you cannot find employment in International Relations - which is very hard.

I also think that a lot of PPL focus to much on International Politics these days when there are lot more jobs in Australia where studying Domestic Politics would be more useful.

Edited by cadete

• 4 months later...

Hi boys,

Currently finishing up my Certificate III in Fitness and Certificate IV in Personal Training at NMIT. If any of you need advice n stuff on working out and nutrition and that give us a buzz. It will be good experience for me and i love da gym so i'll do it complimentory. I also have all these motivational pics and quotes for ya to help with your goal and that 0471.png

My dream is to open a Jetts Fitness franchise one day 0471.png

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 6

Hi boys,

Currently finishing up my Certificate III in Fitness and Certificate IV in Personal Training at NMIT. If any of you need advice n stuff on working out and nutrition and that give us a buzz. It will be good experience for me and i love da gym so i'll do it complimentory. I also have all these motivational pics and quotes for ya to help with your goal and that 0471.png

My dream is to open a Jetts Fitness franchise one day 0471.png

you sellin any meal plans bro?

you sellin any meal plans bro?

Lol, meal plans are the biggest fucking scam.

On a serious note, I had an idea a while ago. Surely it exists already as it's not exactly a breakthrough idea and anything fitness related is extremely competitive.

But basically, just a small website/app, calculates your required macro nutrient intake based on gender/height/weight/age/etc. and goal (nothing revolutionary here, 235289047238 exist), but then also goes through a database of recipes or something like that and finds meals etc that fit into your daily macro nutrient requirement. Auto meal plan. Don't like the meals, just hit a button and it will find some again.

Save yourself whatever retarded sum of money some roided up idiot who doesn't know the first thing about nutrition charges for a meal plan.

Lol, meal plans are the biggest fucking scam.

On a serious note, I had an idea a while ago. Surely it exists already as it's not exactly a breakthrough idea and anything fitness related is extremely competitive.

But basically, just a small website/app, calculates your required macro nutrient intake based on gender/height/weight/age/etc. and goal (nothing revolutionary here, 235289047238 exist), but then also goes through a database of recipes or something like that and finds meals etc that fit into your daily macro nutrient requirement. Auto meal plan. Don't like the meals, just hit a button and it will find some again.

Save yourself whatever retarded sum of money some roided up idiot who doesn't know the first thing about nutrition charges for a meal plan.

Call it 'dem gainz'

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7 December 2015 at 4:34:09 PM, strider said:

anyone here done/doing/has any experience with an MBA? good bad and ugly? 

Years ago I did a poor mans version and since then a number of my friends have completed one.

There was a time when an MBA was promoted for career change, textbook example would be an engineer who completed one then went off and became a manager of a completely unrelated business. This use of an MBA has largely died out now. If you've worked for someone with no knowledge of the business they were "managing" you'll know why. Anyway it's more taken by people who want to develop their current careers now.

Typically you'll learn a lot about business (of course) and it will really help develop your thinking, but my advice is think very carefully about what you want to achieve then talk to people in that industry about whether the specific MBA you are talking about will achieve that. Recruiters are also very sensitive as to where you studied so finding what they want before you start is important.

• Like 1