Melbourne Football

Tertiary Education Topic - Uni/TAFE etc.

Nate

Been following the VCE topic a bit but I couldn't find one for tertiary study so here it is!

I guess I'll kick it off by saying that I'm now 3 weeks into a Bachelor of Business at La Trobe after doing a year and a half of a Bachelor of Education at Charles Sturt (which I dropped out of because it was shit) and I am absolutely loving it. I'm doing a Business Foundations class, Marketing, Accounting (Finance) and Accounting (Management) and for someone who did absolutely no business studies in high school, I'm really enjoying the content so far with the accounting subjects easily the most challenging yet enriching (pun intended) as I'm learning and understanding all of the new business lingo. 

So I guess I was just interested in what you guys are studying/have studied and what experiences you've had etc.

Been following the VCE topic a bit but I couldn't find one for tertiary study so here it is!

I guess I'll kick it off by saying that I'm now 3 weeks into a Bachelor of Business at La Trobe after doing a year and a half of a Bachelor of Education at Charles Sturt (which I dropped out of because it was shit) and I am absolutely loving it. I'm doing a Business Foundations class, Marketing, Accounting (Finance) and Accounting (Management) and for someone who did absolutely no business studies in high school, I'm really enjoying the content so far with the accounting subjects easily the most challenging yet enriching (pun intended) as I'm learning and understanding all of the new business lingo. 

So I guess I was just interested in what you guys are studying/have studied and what experiences you've had etc.

Awesome mate. A lot of people go through life/uni not finding things that they both enjoy and can potentially make a living out of so congrats man. 

I think you should chat to Malloy on the forum here as I believe he did a similar course at LaTrobe and also now works professionally in the field which he loves. You should get him to point you in the direction of Subjects that might be most rewarding and have the most practical application out in the job. 

:up:

Edited by Braveheart

Just started doing the CPA professional course (y) after finishing Bachelor of Business (Accounting) @ VU in the hope of obtaining my Tax Agents Licence.

Hooking up my mentorship next week as I just got a new job working under a CPA so quite pleased.

Have worked in the industry for about 7 years part-time so my practical knowledge is a lot greater than my theoretical knowledge.

Anyone else done/doing CPA?

Awesome mate. A lot of people go through life/uni not finding things that they both enjoy and can potentially make a living out of so congrats man.

I think you should chat to Malloy on the forum here as I believe he did a similar course at LaTrobe and also now works professionally in the field which he loves. You should get him to point you in the direction of Subjects that might be most rewarding and have the most practical application out in the job.

Interestingly I did not enjoy studying accounting at uni. Much preferred doing chemistry at uni.

That being said public practice is very different to what you experience at uni.

my biggest recommendation for you nate is start doing internships on you holidays or semester cadetships as early possibly.

@Mate currently doing my Chartered Accountants course 4/5 subjects down and only approx 1.5 years of prac experience left.

CA that prestigious feel ;)

Along similar lines, but I have just started as an accountant approx 12 months ago however I took a different way in.

I worked in car rental and fleet management for four years and got a job last March as a trainee accountant which basically entails a full time wage and a day and a half if Uni every week.

It's essentially an apprenticeship for accountants I guess.

6 years rather than 3 as a part time course but you are learning on the job both practically and in theory and are guaranteed a job on the other side.

Plus I did a year of Uni 5 years ago which has killed off my elective courses and shortened my course to approx 4 years

:up: Interestingly I did not enjoy studying accounting at uni. Much preferred doing chemistry at uni.

That being said public practice is very different to what you experience at uni.

my biggest recommendation for you nate is start doing internships on you holidays or semester cadetships as early possibly.

@Mate currently doing my Chartered Accountants course 4/5 subjects down and only approx 1.5 years of prac experience left.

How long is the prac experience for CA exactly?

Are you going to apply for your license or is that already in the process?

I did a BA with a Double Major in Politics and History at University of WA then halfway through I transferred to The University of Melbourne to escape Perth and experience College. I ended up with a minor advisor role to a Federal MP but then came the 2007 election.

I decided the politics game was not for me due to the pressure, and I now find myself working in the Education Sector. PPL knock Arts Degrees and I am not gonna lie and say I didnt muck around a lot at Uni when doing mine but a BA can be more useful degree than PPL think... they are also very flexible.

• Like 1

business management (music) straight outta high school years ago, followed up with a half a degree in editing. got bored after two years and dropped out with just an AD. been contemplating doing online/pt time course in the next few years probably project management or similar due to currently being in account management but at the moment just doing occasional freelance work and getting a sweet salary for FT work

Interestingly I did not enjoy studying accounting at uni. Much preferred doing chemistry at uni.

Cheers guys! 

I'm actually majoring in marketing which I find really interesting too but I guess ultimately I'm wanting to end up in the sports business industry so I have a couple of key decisions to make. 

At the end of this year I'll most likely be moving to Melbourne (fucking exciting as) so my dilemma is whether I stick with the general Bachelor of Business (Marketing) or transfer into the more specific Bachelor of Business (Sports Management) at La Trobe as all of my first-year subjects co-incide with the Sports Management course anyway. 

My guess is that having a marketing major would give me more flexibility and a broader range of potential jobs whereas the sports management course would perhaps have less open job opportunities but provide the contacts I'd personally prefer, dunno what to make of it really  :rolleyes:

Undergrad and Masters in urban planning/environmental management.

The world of government bureaucracy is an interesting one, but secure and easy to move around in.

It can be frustrating at times, but the work generally means you need a broad skill set ranging from architecture to law to policy.

Currently in 4th year of Nursing / Paramedicine double degree.

Failed a first year subject which added another 6 months on. Enjoyed the paramed placements out of road but not really feeling nursing so far. Atleast I'll have a few options after uni. Also a nice ratio of girls to boys in the nursing school.

• Like 1

Currently in 4th year of Nursing / Paramedicine double degree.

Failed a first year subject which added another 6 months on. Enjoyed the paramed placements out of road but not really feeling nursing so far. Atleast I'll have a few options after uni. Also a nice ratio of girls to boys in the nursing school.

Business is not so friendly in that regard

Aha I did a year of a Bachelor of Ed last year and absolutely hated it.

This year I have started a Bachelor of Arts, 4 weeks in and loving it. Majoring in Asian Studies and Professional Writing at *cough* VU *cough* Hopefully one day I can live and work in Japan teaching English as a second language in more of a 'casual', 'adult education' kind of setting.

This year I have started a Bachelor of Arts, 4 weeks in and loving it. Majoring in Asian Studies and Professional Writing at *cough* VU *cough* Hopefully one day I can live and work in Japan teaching English as a second language in more of a 'casual', 'adult education' kind of setting.

Education is a shit industry to go into unless you're incredibly passionate about it, I saw some pretty fucked up things in just the year and a half of teaching that I did.

So many teachers seem so miserable too, glad I got out when I did.

Education is a shit industry to go into unless you're incredibly passionate about it, I saw some pretty fucked up things in just the year and a half of teaching that I did.

So many teachers seem so miserable too, glad I got out when I did.

Yeah, I hear ya. One of the reasons I left is that I just wasn't passionate about teaching full time in a public school, that and the course itself was pretty shit.

Currently 2 weeks into a Bachelor of Arts at Deakin straight outta year 12 last year. Enjoying it but only doing it because I had a shitty ATAR and needed to get into a low prerequisite course for a year so I can transfer into a Bachelor of Health and Physical Education next year 

:up:Interestingly I did not enjoy studying accounting at uni. Much preferred doing chemistry at uni.

CA that prestigious feel ;) How long is the prac experience for CA exactly?

Are you going to apply for your license or is that already in the process?

3 years prac exp for both CA n CPA.

Will get my tax agent licence soon. I think I am already eligible for it, but at the moment I don't actually need it.

Currently 2 weeks into a Bachelor of Arts at Deakin straight outta year 12 last year. Enjoying it but only doing it because I had a shitty ATAR and needed to get into a low prerequisite course for a year so I can transfer into a Bachelor of Health and Physical Education next year 

Once you're in uni, Enter/ ATAR ain't shit. Just get decent scores and transfer across. Mid week uni nights are my weakness, hence why I failed first year, worth it though.

:up:Interestingly I did not enjoy studying accounting at uni. Much preferred doing chemistry at uni.

CA that prestigious feel ;)How long is the prac experience for CA exactly?

Are you going to apply for your license or is that already in the process? 3 years prac exp for both CA n CPA.

Will get my tax agent licence soon. I think I am already eligible for it, but at the moment I don't actually need it.

I just need to do my Advanced Taxation course and that along with my experience should make me eligible I believe.

Are you going to apply for your license or is that already in the process?3 years prac exp for both CA n CPA.

Will get my tax agent licence soon. I think I am already eligible for it, but at the moment I don't actually need it. I just need to do my Advanced Taxation course and that along with my experience should make me eligible I believe.

Does your commerce/business degree not make you eligible? I havent looked into it much, but I did check some time ago and it seemed the requireMents were fairly low

Started in a bachelor of Science (Ecology & Environmental Management) hated it after two years, so moved into Arts (History and Sociology) finished off that and am now beginning a third in Business (Accounting) all at VU. Luckily I have a whole load of extra subjects which means I've been able to cut my 2 later bachelors down to 2 years using previously studied courses as electives. Liking Business the most out of the whole lot and am looking forward to starting internship!

7th year, final semester at Monash University.  Already finished my BA in Linguistics and International Studies, plus a Diploma of Languages majoring in German. Just finishing up my LLB now and planning to do Leo Cussens the second half of this year.  Come 2015, I shall be happily qualified to be the YSide Official LawyerTM (service available in multiple languages).  :up: 

Uni is great, Arts degrees are very valuable and rewarding, Law is where I see myself working, but boy will I be happy to finally stop being a student when the time comes!  I never took any kind of gap year (closest was my semester exchange to South Africa) so I've been a perpetual student since I was 5 years old basically.  I'll be 25 soon so you do the maths!  Definitely ready for full time work and a different challenge.

Are you going to apply for your license or is that already in the process?3 years prac exp for both CA n CPA.

Will get my tax agent licence soon. I think I am already eligible for it, but at the moment I don't actually need it.I just need to do my Advanced Taxation course and that along with my experience should make me eligible I believe. Does your commerce/business degree not make you eligible? I havent looked into it much, but I did check some time ago and it seemed the requireMents were fairly low

You need to complete a basic tax course (Taxation Law @ VU) aswell as an advanced taxation course to properly fill the requirements. I believe even doing a short 12 week course with H&R Block would be enough (as long as you have the degree aswell), going to do it next semester as it's a really good refresher from what I've heard and well worth the money/time.

Will get my tax agent licence soon. I think I am already eligible for it, but at the moment I don't actually need it.I just need to do my Advanced Taxation course and that along with my experience should make me eligible I believe.Does your commerce/business degree not make you eligible? I havent looked into it much, but I did check some time ago and it seemed the requireMents were fairly low You need to complete a basic tax course (Taxation Law @ VU) aswell as an advanced taxation course to properly fill the requirements. I believe even doing a short 12 week course with H&R Block would be enough (as long as you have the degree aswell), going to do it next semester as it's a really good refresher from what I've heard and well worth the money/time.

The tax subject in CPA and CA would definitely cover it.

• 3 weeks later...

Essay question for politics:

What are challenges for the democratic state in guaranteeing rights and liberties for its citizens?

Anyone got any pointers on where I should go with this? Any tips appreciated

Atm I've got

-minority/majority rule (however the only states I can think of where this is applicable are hardly democratic like China, Syria, Egypt)

-national security (particularly in USA with the patriot act)

-constitutions (how homosexuals liberty limited by not being able to get married, and how difficult they are to change can lead to constitutions not reflecting views of society and by that not guaranteeing the rights and liberties of all citizens)

EDIT: thinking about also talking about new and developing democracies that may not have the resource or infrastructure in place to guarantee rights and liberties for all of its citizens (women in India, minority religious groups in Africa)

Edited by marteaux

Essay question for politics:

What are challenges for the democratic state in guaranteeing rights and liberties for its citizens?

Anyone got any pointers on where I should go with this? Any tips appreciated

Atm I've got

-minority/majority rule (however the only states I can think of where this is applicable are hardly democratic like China, Syria, Egypt)

-national security (particularly in USA with the patriot act)

-constitutions (how homosexuals liberty limited by not being able to get married, and how difficult they are to change can lead to constitutions not reflecting views of society and by that not guaranteeing the rights and liberties of all citizen

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2008/s2443093.htm

Explore what these two say...

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Any psych/crim students got anything for me here?

'Individual explanations of criminal behaviour (e.g. classical, biological, psychological, and so on) are

more convincing than social explanations of crime (e.g. ecological, social learning, strain, and so on).'

Critically discuss this statement drawing upon TWO theories examined this semester. To support

your discussion, make sure you use examples of specific crimes and/or responses to criminal activity. 

Any psych/crim students got anything for me here?

'Individual explanations of criminal behaviour (e.g. classical, biological, psychological, and so on) are

more convincing than social explanations of crime (e.g. ecological, social learning, strain, and so on).'

Critically discuss this statement drawing upon TWO theories examined this semester. To support

your discussion, make sure you use examples of specific crimes and/or responses to criminal activity. 

You really should have taken some notes last week in "The City of Corpses". :up: