Melbourne Football

Matchday 23: vs Wellington @ AAMI - Sunday 16th March - 4pm EDT

LR9

Exactly one month to the day of our dismantling of Wellington, and a chance to leap frog them in the standings...

The match also clashes with the F1 showpiece, cheers FFA.  :up:

Would hope to see Aziz, Rambo and Willo dropped to the bench (or out of the side) with Harry, Gooch and Kalmar to start.

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

Well, it's nothing more and nothing less than a must-win match for us after what was a poor result against Newcastle.

To restore credibility. If we can't beat them at home then all the talk of recent weeks is just bullshit.

Wellington just pulled a draw out of the fire against Perth, so they are three points ahead of us, with the same goal difference but have scored more goals), and Perth are two points behind us.

Luckily no-one gives a shit about F1.

Yeah man, totes! Coz, our attendance figure and TV rating is gunna put the F1 to shame... there's gunna be a HUGE buzz from media outlets around the lead up to this match.  :droy:

Edited by LR9
  • Like 2

Yeah man, totes! Coz, our attendance figure and TV rating is gunna put the F1 to shame... there's gunna be a HUGE buzz from media outlets around the lead up to this match. :droy: And there's been a HUGE buzz media wise for any of our other games?
  • Like 1

Yeah man, totes! Coz, our attendance figure and TV rating is gunna put the F1 to shame... there's gunna be a HUGE buzz from media outlets around the lead up to this match. :droy: And there's been a HUGE buzz media wise for any of our other games?

Have you been living under a rock the past month?

Edited by LR9

Exactly one month to the day of our dismantling of Wellington, and a chance to leap frog them in the standings...

The match also clashes with the F1 showpiece, cheers FFA.  :up:

Would hope to see Aziz, Rambo and Willo dropped to the bench (or out of the side) with Harry, Gooch and Kalmar to star

IMO Williams will always be at his best when coming off the bench (as seen in the Sydney and Perth games). With regard to Aziz and Ramsey, wouldn't phase me if they were dropped completely. Garuccio deserves a spot and JVS couldn't possibly be thinking of not starting Kewell after what we saw last week. Even if it's simply to take the heat off Orlando. 

Yeah man, totes! Coz, our attendance figure and TV rating is gunna put the F1 to shame... there's gunna be a HUGE buzz from media outlets around the lead up to this match. :droy:And there's been a HUGE buzz media wise for any of our other games? Have you been living under a rock the past month? Media hype regarding man city takeover-yes huge.

Average Friday paper articles for weekends matches- far from huge

I am not sure what formation JVS will have for this match but last Saturday's one did not work at all. Hopefully the pitch will be better than the Hunter stadium but I just noticed that the rebels and storm are playing the two preceding days. Hopefully the ground will not be too badly butchered.

As for who is dropped to the bench or worse, I am not sure as they all seem to have a crap day (including JVS) with the exception of germano and Redders.

does the game really start at 4pm because on the fixture they gave says its 5pm. 

Kickoff time was moved back so the match wouldn't clash so much with Formula One:

A clash with formula one grand prix puts the brakes on Heart crowd

March 4, 2014

Michael Lynch

[...]

But given [Melbourne Heart's] push for the finals and tremendous form it would have hoped to have built its following for the next home game against Wellington Phoenix on March 16.

Or it would if the FFA had moved the game. But it was reluctant to do so, and the match will kick off at 4pm that day - just an hour before Australia's F1 race starts.

''We saw that potential clash when the fixtures came out and asked them to move it, but they said it wasn't possible,'' a Heart spokesman said.

''It originally had a 5pm kick-off, which was the same time as the race started. We wanted them to at least make it a 3pm start, which would have given people the chance to go to Albert Park after the game, but they moved it forward only by an hour.''

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/a-clash-with-formula-one-grand-prix-puts-the-brakes-on-heart-crowd-20140303-340gs.html

This is the formation I'd like to see:

Redmayne

Germano   -   Wielaert   -   Kisnorbo   -   Garuccio

Gerhardt

Engelaar      -      Murdocca

Dugandzic   -   Williams   -   H. Kewell  

Bench: Velaphi, Hoffman, Behich, Kalmar, Ramsay

But since I read that a fit Behich must contractually start I wouldn't mind this:

Redmayne

Wielaert      -      Kisnorbo      -      Behich

Gerhardt

Germano      -      Murdocca

Engelaar

Dugandzic   -      Kewell      -   Garuccio  

Bench: Velaphi, Hoffman, Kalmar, Williams, Ramsay

Basically, just keep Hoffman and Ramsay on the bench!  ;)

Redmayne

Germano - Wielaert - Kisnorbo - Garuccio

Gerhardt

Engelaar - Murdocca

Dugandzic - Williams - H. Kewell

But since I read that a fit Behich must contractually start I wouldn't mind this:

Redmayne

Wielaert - Kisnorbo - Behich

Gerhardt

Germano - Murdocca

Engelaar

Dugandzic - Kewell - Garuccio

Basically, just keep Hoffman and Ramsay on the bench! ;)

Would go with the first, but have Ziz come in for Williams with HK moving to the CF position BG up on the left wing and Aziz at LB

• Like 1

Redmayne

Gerhardt

Engelaar - Murdocca

But since I read that a fit Behich must contractually start I wouldn't mind this:

Redmayne

Gerhardt

Germano - Murdocca

Engelaar

How come you'd play 4 at the back with garuccio but 3 with Aziz?

I don't think Hoffman will be dropped, although wouldn't mind it and having PG mark Hernandez again.

I think the reality is that the clash with the F1 race was picked up on this forum first. I don't think FFA had a clue, and Heart only did something after various supporters made them aware.

FFA is a pig-headed organisation.

• Like 1

Redmayne

Gerhardt

Engelaar - Murdocca

Redmayne

Gerhardt

Germano - Murdocca

Engelaar

How come you'd play 4 at the back with garuccio but 3 with Aziz?

I don't think Hoffman will be dropped, although wouldn't mind it and having PG mark Hernandez again.

It's just an alternative with Behich at Left Back instead of Garuccio. I see Garuccio as more versatile who can play in defence, but also up the wing, whereas I think Behich is more suited to the defensive role.

I'd play three at the back with Germano very close at hand so we can take control of the midfield and free up Gerhardt to boss Hernandez around again.

Edited by Red or Dead

The other thing the F1 will affect is travel/transport. Because of all the road closures, there'll be extra traffic on other roads, not to mention the changes to pt for anyone who lives near the race track. Albert Park area is a fucking bitch on gp weekend, if I were a half-arsed fan I'd probably not bother. But hey, we shouldn't be surprised by this.

I really think the boys will have a massive week and match. They were already talking about it at the airport on the way home yesterday, so it's good to know they are focusing on the upcoming match already. Bring it on. 3-0

Looking forward to seeing us in the flesh again, I've been overseas for the last three matches unfortunately (devastated to have missed the Victory match, although I watched the recording of it when I got home not knowing the result).

The key change I would like to be made is Garrucio in for Behich, but if this is unable to be facilitated due to a contract clause then I would make just the one change, and that's Kewell for Williams.

Behich is the only player I think deserves to be dropped, as despite many peoples thoughts on here both Williams and Ramsay's form has been very good, and they certainly weren't alone in having down weeks last week. Williams only goes as I think having Kewell and Engelaar in the same side could really destroy defences, and it mitigates the likelihood of Engelaar again receiving very close attention this week in an effort to replicate Zadkovich's efforts.

Williams has been very dangerous, but he is our best impact player off the bench and I believe Ramsay is more integral to how our side attacks and it's setups. For all his shortcomings, he has probably managed an assist in every game we've won and has continually sent in dangerous crosses and made threatening runs to advantage. This forum can be very negative at times and sometimes I feel that it misses what certain whipping boys bring to the table. Hoffman and Ramsay have copped it the hardest (followed by Williams) and while neither are stars they have both been key reasons why we have ben the best side of 2014 thus far.

• Like 3

When the coach doesn't select you I suppose it's your fellow players' opinions that keep you going.

So for for the forgotten 3 Vrankovic Mitchinson and Walker waiting to be picked for 6 aside who is Harry's third pick and which two get picked last.

Tea leaves say few will get it right.

When the coach doesn't select you I suppose it's your fellow players' opinions that keep you going.

So for for the forgotten 3 Vrankovic Mitchinson and Walker waiting to be picked for 6 aside who is Harry's third pick and which two get picked last.

Tea leaves say few will get it right.

Mitchy and the other two last.

Preview: Melbourne Heart v Wellington Phoenix

By Iain Strachan  Updated 44 minutes ago
Melbourne Heart and Wellington Phoenix meet in Round 23 of the A-League at AAMI Park on Sunday, March 16 at 4.00pm (AEDT).

Head-to-head: 

Played: 11 – Heart 3, Phoenix 5, Drawn 3 

Previous encounter: 

Phoenix 0-5 Heart, February 16 2014 

Form: 

Past five matches:

Heart: LWWWW

Phoenix: DLWLW 

The Game: 

Having seen their unbeaten run ended in a 1-0 reverse away to the Newcastle Jets last Saturday, Melbourne Heart are six points outside the top six with 15 points left to play for. But lose this one and their hopes of an unlikely playoff campaign will recede substantially.

The Phoenix are better placed, just three points off the sixth-placed Mariners, having been held to a 1-1 draw at home to Perth Glory last time out. Ernie Merrick's men also badly need maximum reward from this encounter to keep pushing for a finals berth. We're not at the stage yet where a defeat will spell the end of either team's post-season ambitions, but you can guarantee both sides will be going all out to claim the win. 

The big issue: 

Heart - If the red and whites are to have any chance of pulling off their finals miracle, they will need to respond to last weekend's defeat with a victory at the first attempt. It's by no means beyond their capability, as they demonstrated by seeing off several top quality sides during their five-match winning run. That sequence included a 5-0 thrashing of the Phoenix in Westpac, and although they surely can't repeat the scale of that win, John van 't Schip's players must draw on that emphatic triumph to put the New Zealand side away again on Sunday.

Phoenix - While the Heart have close to a clean bill of health, Wellington have been forced to battle a succession of injuries to important players in recent months, as well as losing personnel to suspension and juggling fatigue caused by New Zealand international duty for some members of the squad. Despite a disastrous 5-1 loss away to Adelaide two weeks ago, they remain in finals contention and can still have a say in the post-season reckoning, but they badly need to record what would be a first win in three attempts this weekend. 

The game breaker: 

Orlando Engelaar - the Dutch veteran produced a brilliant performance at the Cake Tin in Round 19, opening the scoring and dominating play for large parts of the game as Heart demolished the Phoenix in their own backyard. The international marquee has formed an excellent partnership with diminutive fellow midfielder Massimo Murdocca, and together the pair can again shut down Wellington's midfield, providing the hosts with the platform to win the game. 

Prediction: Melbourne Heart 2-0 Wellington Phoenix 

We expect Van 't Schip's team to be hurting after the narrow loss to the Jets and determined not to let an improbably glimpse of the finals slip from their collective sights at this late stage. The Phoenix are short staffed and also lacking momentum. If it clicks for the visitors they can certainly cause Heart problems, but the home side are likely to prove too hungry for the Kiwi outfit to get anything in this one. 

Edited by Murfy1

Really a "must win" game this one.  Having lost a "6 pointer" last week (and watched on as those arsey bastards at Scum FC somehow got gifted a win, which also hurt our prospects) we need to beat fellow final aspirants Wellington to have a chance of prolonging our season.

My take:

Wellington & Heart have had similar seasons, Wellington though were never as bad, but conversely haven't shown as much improvement.  They've had a strong run from nowhere to be finals contenders, but just when they looked to storm into the top 6 they seemed to lose their momentum, helped in no small part by a thrashing from us in their cake tin.  So I see Wellington as there to beat because:

• form is poor
  • away from home 
  • we would have the edge on them after last time.

On our side of things we came crashing down to earth last week with a terrible performance after previously playing some lovely football and getting great results over the last 7 weeks.

I expect Kewell will come in to start, with one of Germano/Hoffman/Williams/Ramsay to give way (that is the order of probability I have) as his class was badly missed last week.  Work horse Germano can feel aggrieved if he gets the short straw, as it will be team balance, not form that could see him leave.

Heart to dominate again with a 3-0 victory, being a Kewell goal splitting a Williams brace.

Tony I have had a few cracks on that A League predictor of various combos based on what i think might happen and what i would like to happen etc.  Based on that it looks like 36 should get you in and i think 35 would as well.  Less than that though and you will need your fair share of luck (for one you'll need Perth to win a lot of games).

To get 36 we can drop 1 game now, but there is a big difference between losing to Wellington or Central Coast and losing to Adelaide or Brisbane.  

We could potentially win the rest of matches and still miss out on finals but that would require almost the worst possible set of results for the other matches, which is very unlikely.

Not much point looking that far away yet imo but if we are going to have any chance of making finals we must win our next 2 matches (which should put us within 3 points of the top 6)