Melbourne Football

Melbourne Derby XII - 7:45pm 1st March AAMI Park

GreenSeater

Everyone approve of a banner to be made "fuck off victory the CITY is ours"

Not keen on a public banner at one of our biggest home games highlighting the word 'city'. It says 'please rebrand us' too much IMO. Also, I'd prefer for Melbourne Heart to be the club with more class in Melbourne, and the prominent use of four letter words doesn't achieve that.

• Like 5

We won't improve our image, win friends, or improve our membership and attendances with that sort of thing. Yarraside have done it so well up to now, so let's keep the standard high and show everyone our collective pride in our club and what it stands for.

• Like 5

We won't improve our image, win friends, or improve our membership and attendances with that sort of thing. Yarraside have done it so well up to now, so let's keep the standard high and show everyone our collective pride in our club and what it stands for.

Exactly.

There's a reason every team in this country hates the Victory as much as their local rivals (if they have any), let's not take examples from the tards on how to behave.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 5

This match has me more nervous than probably any derby previously. It's very easy to write off the Victory in our minds but they do have a lot of quality on the park with Rogic rested and Milligan, whether you like him or not, solid in midfield. Yet they can be flaky as shown by 5-0 drubbings, they were appalling really in the ACL game in Geelong and hopefully Qantas have trouble getting them back on Thursday with a delayed red eye flight.

I'm nervous now because we are finally starting to appear in the spotlight after the recent dark days. Suddenly we're regaining respect and the press are looking at us as a bit of a fairytale story re finals given how far back we were. To blow this will set us back in many people's minds. And for all the talk about stern tests with Brisbane and in Wellington, the bookies had us pretty distant underdogs so the element of playing with nothing to lose was rife. Now suddenly we're under the spotlight and under pressure going in with a form bubble.

I think we will win and I like the formations above with a back three. Given the quality of the Victory's midfield, to strangle them would be great, and I don't think we have a ready made starter to replace Aziz. But, unlike the last derby where we were playing like shit and let's be honest, we were hoping for a flukey win with a dud coach in spite of our shit play, this time we bring in form and expectation. Fuck I hope we live up to it.

• Like 5

Exactly.

There's a reason every team in this country hates the Victory as much as their local rivals (if they have any), let's not take examples from the tards on how to behave.

"FYI this town is blue + white, back to Morwell you repulsive shite"

Still the fucking dumbest thing I've seen a set of supporters do, absolute flogs of the highest order and an embarrassment to football fans across the nation.

• Like 4

Kid next to me at the end of the match on Sunday said he'd cry if we lost the Derby....

Me too, kid, me too.

Nervous as fuck about this week. Although I was very nervous before the past three as well. It seems the more we win, the more nervous I get. Hope we approach with confidence, but not to the level of cockiness. They may well be coming off essentially a days recovery (as far as I can tell, the earliest they can get back from Guangzhou is 6pm on Thursday and that's catching a flight at 1am after the acl game), I'd hate us to get in a mindset of thinking they'll be tired and lethargic. We need to go into the match as though we're playing the strongest team going around but with the belief we can match - and better - them. Keep the right attitude and play with the desperation we've had lately and we'll be fine.

Nervous, but confident. Let's show them just who this city belongs to, both on and off field. If you don't normally make serious noise at matches, for the love of god, get behind our boys on Saturday. Bring it on.

10/10 post

Melbourne Heart’s Redmayne says team has depth to overcome loss of key defensive pair for derby

Matt Windley 

February 25, 2014

MELBOURNE Heart goalkeeper Andrew Redmayne has faith that the team’s rotating defence won’t be exposed in Saturday’s Melbourne Victory clash.

Heart has conceded just five goals in its past six matches in a run that has included five wins and a draw.

But suspension troubles have hit John van ’t Schip’s men as Patrick Gerhardt and Aziz Behich will be forced to miss the AAMI Park derby after receiving their fifth yellow cards for the season in Sunday’s win over Brisbane.

Rob Wielaert will return from a week’s suspension of his own to link up with Patrick Kisnorbo in the centre of defence, but the battle for Behich’s spot at left back could come down to Jeremy Walker or Sam Mitchinson.

Then again, van ’t Schip could revert to a back three as he has done several times throughout the club’s spectacular recent revival.

Harry Kewell’s chances of appearing against his former club in the derby appear to be lessening after the captain, still recovering from a toe injury, failed to train with his teammates at Epping Stadium on Tuesday, although he did do a solo conditioning session later in the morning.

“The depth in our squad is fantastic,” Redmayne said Tuesday.

“We’ve got the younger boys coming through but also have older guys waiting in the wings. So I think we’ve got more than enough cover to fill the places that we’ll be missing this weekend.

“It is nice that the boys have been scoring, but having said that we’ve probably been more solid defensively, conceding fewer chances and ultimately fewer goals.

“The boys are more confident to press forward, defend forward and really take on the game.

“It’s been good defensively and the team as a whole is doing a really good job with the confidence gained from the past few weeks.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-hearts-redmayne-says-team-has-depth-to-overcome-loss-of-key-defensive-pair-for-derby/story-fnk6pqhd-1226837535882

Edited by Murfy1

I'm both nervous and confident about this game. Nervous because I always enjoy when Heart prevails in derbies, and because our season is alive again and we need to keep collecting points.

But there's good reasons to be confident going into this game, with both negatives for Victory and positives for Heart. Negatives for Victory include them lacking 2 main central defenders in Contreras and Leijer, so they'll have to play kids I guess (Ansell and Geria perhaps in the middle). Their defending has been rubbish for weeks, with them not keeping a clean-sheet for 9-10 weeks and they have conceded the most goals (even more than us!!!). Also, Victory play probably the best team in Asia in Guangzhou Evergrande in China late Weds, and they'll put Victory in their place and win, dinting Victory's confidence and they'll have to have at least 7-8 players who are weakened in fitness come Saturday.

Positives for Heart including our fine 4 game winning streak, great confidence and buzz around the team, competent coaching, a fully fit Engelaar, Wielaert and probably Kewell returning, 6 days to prepare and it's a home match.

Pressure and conversely complacency are the 2 things Heart have to overcome to get the win IMO. And I think the Heart team won't be tripped up by either of those matters, with players always saying the right things in interviews, namely that the team is still bottom of the ladder and can't pat themselves on the back (they seem to sincerely believe ideas like that as well). Redmayne for instance said that in the interview he did today (it didn't make the above article, but it's in the fuller write-up here, that the team know they are still bottom).

I don't think pressure will tell either, with the team overcoming adversity a lot since JVS took over.If JA was running the show, I'm sure we'd come down like a house of cards on Saturday, but the team has a proper resilience now, with Davutovic even saying that Heart have a resilience similar to Western Sydney's. 

Maybe the main reason I'm not that nervous is that in the context of our remaining games I think this game is more of a bonus. The next 3 games, all effectively 6 pointers, are real important: Newcastle away, Wellington at home and the Mariners at home (and ATM I'm pretty optimistic about all of those games). A win on Saturday would be awesome, but the next 3 matches are more important with regards to our finals prospects. Nonetheless, I'm still confident about Saturday and think we will get a good result.

• Like 2