Melbourne Football

Matchday 20: vs Brisbane @AMMI park 5pm Sunday 23 February

Fentonthescreamingcactus

I guess it is a bit lopsided as you say, but still not really a 4-4-2 in my book.  Also the thing i really noticed tonight was the interchange between Willo and Engelaar, particularly early in the 2nd half.   Basically I think JVS often comes up with approaches that don't really fit simplistic labels.

Yeah, there is loads of rotation going on which is great to shake up the opposition and get the ball circulation going.

• Like 1

I guess it is a bit lopsided as you say, but still not really a 4-4-2 in my book.  Also the thing i really noticed tonight was the interchange between Willo and Engelaar, particularly early in the 2nd half.   Basically I think JVS often comes up with approaches that don't really fit simplistic labels.

Agree, static formations mean nothing without also showing the movement of each player within that formation. We play a very fluid formation that is very difficult for other teams to adapt to. It just shows that when you have a coach who asks the players to think, they can step up.

What a great win today to the team we all love... to all of u that have been there from the start its been a great time for us and shows what we can actually achieve.. im over the moon from this win i appluade the supporters tonight for showing what this club means to us ... ive never really posted on here but thought i might as well from this game.. i dont want to get shot down for this like many others i see on this forum but thought id give my 2 cents... im all for as many flags as possibly and show as much colour as we can.. the terrace has grown so much since our inception and its only gonna get bigger and im all for it :) i have some consern however by a quater of a bay not particapating as much as others because they are all complaining about a flag being in the way for at least half of the game.. id appreciate some feed back on the issue not just being attacked.. is there a way we can get the flags waved as much as we all wont when we dont have the ball but when we attack we can stop?? Just a question again i dont wanna get attacked just wanna hear the thoughts from some thanks.. again what a win :))

A real impressive tactical win. And awesome intensity from a few individuals (such as Kisnorbo and Murdocca) to get the most out of the tactics. Also, it probably should have been a more comfortable win, as we had some good chances, in particular 2 headers, to make the game safe.

I've seen some stats that say Brisbane only had 4 shots in this entire game (and only 2 on target). Apart from that late moment when Berisha was near goal (until Kisnorbo provided some stellar defending), and a sloppy giveaway in the first half (from a Hoffman pass I think), Brisbane didn't really look close to scoring. That in itself is a pretty big accomplishment. We effectively shutdown arguably the best attacking team in the league. Tremendous battling and organised defending, especially in midfield with Murdocca and Germano, made that happen.

In this game there was some almost crazy defending. We pressed Brisbane high up the pitch often (and Brisbane reliably stuck to their habits, and didn't go long), and frequently had our back 4 near halfway, whilst Brisbane for most of the game tried to pack all 11 of their players into our half and press us as high up as they could. That's why we regularly went long in the first half, as it was logical to try and play the ball towards the acres of space up field, but we routinely got the execution wrong. I agree that Engelaar was key to improving this situation, as he won many aerial battles and held the ball up when we passed to him.

There maybe wasn't too much goal-mouth, crowd pleasing action today, but given how many goals we have conceded this season, the second most (before this round we had conceded the most, but with our clean-sheet Victory now have conceded the most), I'm fine with that, and managing to keep a clean-sheet and win was excitement enough for me.

Despite it being a tactical game, we still created more chances (11 shots, 4 on targets, 5 corners to their 3), and a respectable amount of chances, and if Dugandzic or Kisnorbo or Kalmar were more clinical we would have won by 2 goals.

So another solid win, and very positively we are now defending well (no more Caramello Bear defending). Onwards and Upwards!

• Like 2

A real impressive tactical win. And awesome intensity from a few individuals (such as Kisnorbo and Murdocca) to get the most out of the tactics. Also, it probably should have been a more comfortable win, as we had some good chances, in particular 2 headers, to make the game safe.

I've seen some stats that say Brisbane only had 4 shots in this entire game (and only 2 on target). Apart from that late moment when Berisha was near goal (until Kisnorbo provided some stellar defending), and a sloppy giveaway in the first half (from a Hoffman pass I think), Brisbane didn't really look close to scoring. That in itself is a pretty big accomplishment. We effectively shutdown arguably the best attacking team in the league. Tremendous battling and organised defending, especially in midfield with Murdocca and Germano, made that happen.

In this game there was some almost crazy defending. We pressed Brisbane high up the pitch often (and Brisbane reliably stuck to their habits, and didn't go long), and frequently had our back 4 near halfway, whilst Brisbane for most of the game tried to pack all 11 of their players into our half and press us as high up as they could. That's why we regularly went long in the first half, as it was logical to try and play the ball towards the acres of space up field, but we routinely got the execution wrong. I agree that Engelaar was key to improving this situation, as he won many aerial battles and held the ball up when we passed to him.

There maybe wasn't too much goal-mouth, crowd pleasing action today, but given how many goals we have conceded this season, the second most (before this round we had conceded the most, but with our clean-sheet Victory now have conceded the most), I'm fine with that, and managing to keep a clean-sheet and win was excitement enough for me.

Despite it being a tactical game, we still created more chances (11 shots, 4 on targets, 5 corners to their 3), and a respectable amount of chances, and if Dugandzic or Kisnorbo or Kalmar were more clinical we would have won by 2 goals.

So another solid win, and very positively we are now defending well (no more Caramello Bear defending). Onwards and Upwards!

Not sure about the long balls in the first half, we actually have a midfield to match Roar and looked better when we tried to play through midfield, the long ball execution was poor and usually resulted in immediate turnover and renewed defensive pressure on us. The time for the long balls would have been in the second half as the game opened up

G'day Heart fans

Just wanted to drop in and say that although your turnaround this year has been something amazing that we it will end now. The mighty Roar is coming to town and will be leaving with all 3 points.

Cheerio

Where you at?

• Like 4

Not sure about the long balls in the first half, we actually have a midfield to match Roar and looked better when we tried to play through midfield, the long ball execution was poor and usually resulted in immediate turnover and renewed defensive pressure on us. The time for the long balls would have been in the second half as the game opened up

Agree. Though atleast the long balls seemed to target our wingers the majority of the time. And our wingers did tend to have a bit of space. Still prefer if we used the midfield though.

• Like 1

Great win. The last 10-15 minutes couldn't have gone any slower and I thought Berisha the Cigan was a certainty to score in the dying minutes. What a tackle though, had to be absolutely spot on and it was. The determination shown by the players was top notch. Exciting times ahead.

Edited by MKD

fuck work. after all the shit I've say through the past 4 years I've missed two brilliant wins now.

taking every shift off that correlates with a home game from now on.

Managed to avoid the result and watch the game, was a bit of a snore, but the tactics from jvs were spot on again. Was a massive doubter after his first stint but I'm definitely on the bandwagon now.

OE brilliant again and the man crush for Paddy K grows..

bring on next fucking week!

Just home and stoked. Really impressed with the win and think we fully deserved our win - more chances, more damaging attempts and generally more intent. A fair result.

Just saw Mulvey briefly on Fox Sports news and not overly complimentary - called us a "one trick pony" in the first half and said "we were bottom for a reason". He normally comes across as a decent bloke so will reserve judgement until I dig out the full presser, but smacked of sour grapes. As Barcelona found out last night, possession domination doesn't always equal success, and sometimes pragmatism and a plan can nullify this.

The first fifteen minutes were pretty strong and I thought we reverted to the JA long ball game for the next 30. Last year we had Brisbane's measure with the quick break - so I wonder if JVS had looked at the old tapes, but today it clearly wasn't working. The change in the second half was fantastic and we were much stronger - good coaching to get Engelaar to present and well done by the players to respond.

Obvious cudos to the two Paddy's at the back - both played brilliantly and snuffed out pretty well everything. Impressed Aziz looked quick today - something not seen for a while. And enjoyed Broich and Stefanuto trying together to unlock Hoff's side of the park for the whole of the first half and most of the second. Definitely a few nervy moments - but again like Mass he is clearly fitter than pretty well everyone in the squad. Still don't think he's a solution going forward and will be interesting to see who steps up for Aziz next week. I felt really nervous when two DMs were substituted for two AMs - I think we lost a bit of defensive focus and Kalmar just didn't impress for his cameo.

I like the talk above about the structure. Fwiw I think it's generally a 4-4-2 defensively and in transition with a rotating diamond (occasionally flatter if we're pressed) and so suddenly Engelaar can be at the back of the diamond as the anchoring DM and a minute later at the top of the diamond as the AM. This way someone is always presenting in possession, or closing rapidly if pressing. Ramsay rarely pressured with Brisbane coming out (Willo and Duga did this) but transitioning forward he is given free licence to push up the park and Mass or Germano would drop in behind him to give support. (I think Rambo was lazy under JA - this move has made him more accountable and I get the feeling JVS won't put up with lack of effort or intensity. He's a different player.). It's pragmatic, always moving creating difficulty to match up, and still gives licence for the quick break if available. I just love how JVS has changed this team and got them thinking and working for each other. He just strikes me as very clever what he's done with this team.

So to Victory with two socceroos in the midfield. Now tactically this will be a ripper. Can't wait.

Edited by Defibrillator
  • Like 2

Managed to avoid the result and watch the game, was a bit of a snore, but the tactics from jvs were spot on again. Was a massive doubter after his first stint but I'm definitely on the bandwagon now.

He's the best tactical coach in the league. He was the first time around, 'introducing' false 9s and a back 3 to the league, and he still is. Out-thought Mulvey today (who I rate as a coach).

• Like 1

I also need to add that Murdocca was the best on field today. Hassled the opponants all day and won us some crucial ball. I really feel he was the difference today

Absolutely true, and as always deserves praise for his tenacity. But, he did give the ball away a few times and in particular at one stage produced a poor pass which roar could have countered and outnumbered us on if it wasn't for a Ramsey foul that stopped them (and cost him a yellow for his efforts). He is great for what he does and I like having him on the pitch, but his passing sometimes is poor.

I also need to add that Murdocca was the best on field today. Hassled the opponants all day and won us some crucial ball. I really feel he was the difference today

Absolutely true, and as always deserves praise for his tenacity. But, he did give the ball away a few times and in particular at one stage produced a poor pass which roar could have countered and outnumbered us on if it wasn't for a Ramsey foul that stopped them (and cost him a yellow for his efforts). He is great for what he does and I like having him on the pitch, but his passing sometimes is poor.

Agree, was just about to post that, but that's Mass, you gotta take him as he comes. And that 'shot' :tooth: 

He does enough to make up for his short falls, but it could cost us dearly one day.

I thought Kisnorbo was fantastic. He's so dangerous on the cross, made a couple of great tackles in the box and I honestly don't think he's had a stray pass all day!

Was very happy to see this score line, boys are doing the club proudly. Next week will be big for fans. If we can get a good win against victory, then that should add some more to the band wagon.

Added disclaimer I was not at the game, but would dearly love to be back in aami park to support this revival.

Have to agree. I wasn't expecting 10k but I figured we might at least hit the 8k mark similar to the first couple of home games.

Sunday is just a shit timeslot. Bit of talk around on twitter tha people really struggle to make it.

Me, personally, I work every Sunday so I just rule a line through them and catch it on tv from the office.

I'd love for us to play more Saturdays at home.