Melbourne Football

Matchday 20: vs Brisbane @AMMI park 5pm Sunday 23 February

Fentonthescreamingcactus

The AAMI park pitch looks pretty bad (or at least pretty bad by AAMI Park standards) in tonight's match. Two recent sold-out Bruce Springsteen concerts (http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8804027), some rain and the match tonight probably mean there will be a sub-standard AAMI Park pitch tomorrow. Probably another factor that favours Heart, given Brisbane's pretty dogmatic style of play.

If the players just play their part tomorrow and bring their good form, the odds of a good outcome should be pretty good.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Massimo Murdocca to use inside knowledge to help Heart topple ladder leaders Brisbane

Matt Windley 

February 23, 2014

MASSIMO Murdocca knows better than most why Melbourne Heart should be confident for its clash with the table-topping Brisbane Roar.

Murdocca was a part of the Roar side that last season had its pants pulled down twice by Heart at AAMI Park (4-1 and 3-2) the same ground at which the two teams will play today.

The midfielder said on those two occasions Heart denied the Roar time and space to successfully play the ball out of defence.

So, it is no surprise that that has been a focus of coach John van ‘t Schip at training this week.

Murdocca, now a staple in Heart’s starting XI, said there is a “genuine belief” that the bottom-placed side can upset the apple cart.

“Their energy in the first 15-20 minutes was really confronting in both occasions we came to AAMI Park,” Murdocca said.

“They always had a great game plan against us, they always shut down our passing game. And that’s what Brisbane Roar is all about, if you can shut down that aspect you’re going a long way to beating them.

“That’s what happened on those two occasions. We got shut down from the back, we couldn’t play out, we went long more than we would have liked in those two games and we became just like every other A-League team, quite even, whereas Brisbane is well known for being that step ahead of everybody else.

“Against Heart it wasn’t like that last year - and we’ve got to hope to do the same now that I’m on the other side of the fence.”

Brisbane defeated Heart 3-0 when the two teams last met at Suncorp Stadium in Round 4.

It was a game that was level at the break despite Heart dominating the first 45 minutes, before the dam wall broke in the second half.

Murdocca said it was a game that summed up Heart’s fortunes in the first half of the season.

“That was the story. We played well, we just couldn’t put the ball in the net,” he said.

“I think that’s the only difference now, the ball’s going in. When the ball does go in the net you generally start playing with more confidence and you can see that we’re starting to play more confidently.”

Murdocca, who played a club-record 162 games for the Roar, said that game in November provided the closure he needed to officially move on from the club at which he won two A-League championships.

Now he’s all Heart.

“The first game was quite nerve-racking, especially being back at Suncorp. I spent nine years at the club, it was a long time.

“It was a great experience for me to get that under my belt ... but once I got that out of the way it felt right, it felt like I’d come to a better place _ and Melbourne is a better place for myself and my family.

“I think this game will have less significance, I think it’s all done and dusted now.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/massimo-murdocca-to-use-inside-knowledge-to-help-heart-topple-ladder-leaders-brisbane/story-fnk6rlg0-1226834840576

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Massimo Murdocca to use inside knowledge to help Heart topple ladder leaders Brisbane

Matt Windley 

February 23, 2014

MASSIMO Murdocca knows better than most why Melbourne Heart should be confident for its clash with the table-topping Brisbane Roar.

Murdocca was a part of the Roar side that last season had its pants pulled down twice by Heart at AAMI Park (4-1 and 3-2) the same ground at which the two teams will play today.

The midfielder said on those two occasions Heart denied the Roar time and space to successfully play the ball out of defence.

So, it is no surprise that that has been a focus of coach John van ‘t Schip at training this week.

Murdocca, now a staple in Heart’s starting XI, said there is a “genuine belief” that the bottom-placed side can upset the apple cart.

“Their energy in the first 15-20 minutes was really confronting in both occasions we came to AAMI Park,” Murdocca said.

“They always had a great game plan against us, they always shut down our passing game. And that’s what Brisbane Roar is all about, if you can shut down that aspect you’re going a long way to beating them.

“That’s what happened on those two occasions. We got shut down from the back, we couldn’t play out, we went long more than we would have liked in those two games and we became just like every other A-League team, quite even, whereas Brisbane is well known for being that step ahead of everybody else.

“Against Heart it wasn’t like that last year - and we’ve got to hope to do the same now that I’m on the other side of the fence.”

Brisbane defeated Heart 3-0 when the two teams last met at Suncorp Stadium in Round 4.

It was a game that was level at the break despite Heart dominating the first 45 minutes, before the dam wall broke in the second half.

Murdocca said it was a game that summed up Heart’s fortunes in the first half of the season.

“That was the story. We played well, we just couldn’t put the ball in the net,” he said.

“I think that’s the only difference now, the ball’s going in. When the ball does go in the net you generally start playing with more confidence and you can see that we’re starting to play more confidently.”

Murdocca, who played a club-record 162 games for the Roar, said that game in November provided the closure he needed to officially move on from the club at which he won two A-League championships.

Now he’s all Heart.

“The first game was quite nerve-racking, especially being back at Suncorp. I spent nine years at the club, it was a long time.

“It was a great experience for me to get that under my belt ... but once I got that out of the way it felt right, it felt like I’d come to a better place _ and Melbourne is a better place for myself and my family.

“I think this game will have less significance, I think it’s all done and dusted now.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/massimo-murdocca-to-use-inside-knowledge-to-help-heart-topple-ladder-leaders-brisbane/story-fnk6rlg0-1226834840576

MASS :o

How could you!!

I left a printed ticket at home by mistake. Does anyone know if the scanners will accept the PDF open on my phone screen?

I believe so. there is usualy one that ticketek send that can be scanned

I know they have a specific mobile version, just wasn't sure about the pdf since it's designed to be printed. Hopefully it works.

GOLAZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not going to lie, this game has been an absolute snoozefest and we don't really deserve the lead but as far as I'm aware, we're currently off the bottom of the table!

COME ON YOU BOYS IN RED!