Melbourne Football

Ben Garuccio is a legend thread

kingofhearts

Two-year deal.

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Good signing, but buggered if i know where we are getting this cap space!

IIRC Brillante was reported as being on a huge salary.

Except for Nabbout I can't see that any of our signings so far would be on big money - and maybe he isn't either. So maybe that's how they are fitted in.

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Two-year deal.

IIRC Brillante was reported as being on a huge salary.

Except for Nabbout I can't see that any of our signings so far would be on big money - and maybe he isn't either. So maybe that's how they are fitted in.

Agree with all that but we also need to trim 1.1mil from last year. AFAIK the City players agreed to a 10% paycut across the board but no idea where the rest comes from tbh.

51 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Good signing, but buggered if i know where we are getting this cap space!

Purely speculative.

Most signings for the upcoming season have been re negotiated at a much lower rate, with the promise of next season presumably no cap much higher.

Otherwise I can't see how we can have 20 something players and within the cap.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Some of the earlier posts in this thread are worth reading again! Opinions change!

Those where all comments back from a time where we all believed CFG was going to pump some serious money into the players group, now we are just happy Ben.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Agree with all that but we also need to trim 1.1mil from last year. AFAIK the City players agreed to a 10% paycut across the board but no idea where the rest comes from tbh.

Brillante gone from under the cap, Nabbout as marquee - then there is plenty of space.

Edited by Mr MO

14 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Those where all comments back from a time where we all believed CFG was going to pump some serious money into the players group, now we are just happy Ben.

Brillante gone from under the cap, Nabbout as marquee - then there is plenty of space.

Florin back in to the cap, plus all our new signings. 
Can only presume we had some front and backending work in our favour.

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Not sure what Nabbout is. But notably he is only 1 year as are the loans of Najjar and Najjarine. So if Najjar progresses well then Nabbout could go at the end of the season.

I'm sure City are playing it strictly within the rules because my guess is that FFA keep a closer watch on us than the other clubs.

Is there any news on the CBA with the players? I have not seen any.

Edited by jw1739

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I think that they players are really taking a financial hit next season, that's why they can fit under the cap. To compound it, many of them are on short-term deals as it's impossible to predict the Covid short-term future

Many people have taken a hit already, so I don't have a problem with professional footballers taking one. I know that they have short careers, but quite a number earn obscene amounts of money so if they haven't put substantial amounts aside for a rainy day that's their problem. The same goes for the business lobby moaning about the profits they once enjoyed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Some of the earlier posts in this thread are worth reading again! Opinions change!

Hopefully not aimed at me. Very comfortable with everything I’ve said about Ben in the past and glad to see him again.

32 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Many people have taken a hit already, so I don't have a problem with professional footballers taking one. I know that they have short careers, but quite a number earn obscene amounts of money so if they haven't put substantial amounts aside for a rainy day that's their problem. The same goes for the business lobby moaning about the profits they once enjoyed.

I hear you, but as in all walks of life, those hit hardest are probably the worst of to start with. I doubt too many A League players fit in the “obscene” category .

31 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Hopefully not aimed at me. Very comfortable with everything I’ve said about Ben in the past and glad to see him again.

I hear you, but as in all walks of life, those hit hardest are probably the worst of to start with. I doubt too many A League players fit in the “obscene” category .

1. No.

2. I agree with your generality. But IMO many A-League footballers have in the past done OK for what is a limited season.

• 5 months later...
44 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Benny seems to be PK's first sub. these days. Not sure really why TBH - I thought his first few touches were too heavy last night.

Versatile, chases hard and is relatively experienced.

He does seem low on confidence though, which is unsurprising given he's been well and truly squeezed out of the starting XI.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Released.

Didnt fancy another season behind an evergreen Jamieson I’d say.

I was a bit disappointed in Benny last year to be honest, when he did play he didn’t set the world on fire. I suspect the lack of regular starts didn’t help.

I do think his signing was a masterstroke though. Sure lit a fire under Jamo.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

If Atkisnson does leave to Europe it would've been nice to hold onto him, but can understand why he'd want to leave. Good enough to start for most teams in the league but was stuck on our bench. 

Garuccio's departure made me think of transfer fees again. Are they allowed for movements between clubs now? It seems that players still go from one club to another even though they have further time left on their contracts.