Melbourne Football

Ben Garuccio is a legend thread

kingofhearts

Ben Garrucio ready to step up for Melbourne City against Adelaide if Harry Novillo suspension appeal fails

Matt Windley

18 April, 2016

EVEN if Harry Novillo’s suspension appeal fails on Tuesday night, Melbourne City forward Nick Fitzgerald says Ben Garuccio is more than capable of filling the breach in Friday night’s semi-final against Adelaide.

And given that the wing was where Garuccio plied his trade as a junior, the man himself insists he won’t be daunted by the challenge if called upon again by coach John van’t Schip at Coopers Stadium.

Frenchman Novillo served the first of a two-match ban during City’s 2-0 elimination final win over Perth on Sunday, with Garuccio (left) and Fitzgerald (right) lining up either side of Bruno Fornaroli in a re-shaped front three.

Fitzgerald said he hoped Novillo — who has scored 10 goals and had five assists this season — is successful in his appeal hearing before the A-League’s independent disciplinary committee this evening.

“But we’ve got tremendous depth across the squad so whoever takes the park I’m sure will get the result and we’ll push on to a grand final,” Fitzgerald said.

“You look at who came in for Harry (against the Glory), Benny Garuccio had an outstanding game. He was up and down the line, defensively he was outstanding and in attack he offered us something different.

“It was his combination with Aaron Mooy that got the corner that got the first goal.

“So as massive a loss as Harry is, I think Benny really stepped up and then Marc Marino was great off the bench as well.”

Garuccio, 20, is taking a come-what-may approach to selection this week.

“If I play, I play, if I don’t and I’m on the bench then I’ve just got to take my chance when I come on,” he said.

But the South Australian, who has played 20 games and even scored once when deployed up front in Novillo’s absence in Round 20, said he is more than comfortable playing the more advanced role.

“I always played on the wing, I never really played defensively at all to be honest,” Garuccio said.

“I guess part of my game is to play with quite a bit of aggression, so I guess the coaches saw that maybe I could fill in (down back)

“I think the first time I played left back was when Aziz Behich got suspended, it was actually a derby that I got thrown in and I didn’t go too bad there.

“After that I’ve been there ever since, but I still enjoy being on the wing and it was good to get back there (against Perth).”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/ben-garrucio-ready-to-step-up-for-melbourne-city-against-adelaide-if-harry-novillo-suspension-appeal-fails/news-story/60ad440fc3ea04ab67bdcbd411dd6ec7

6 minutes ago, Deluka said:

Turning into quite a handy player for us IMO, you can see he is much more suited to the LW role rather than the LB one but I think he will improve exponentially next year. 

Gooch had a bloody good one against Perth in his natural position. We had a very lively front line that was exciting to watch.

On 18/04/2016 at 7:57 PM, Murfy1 said:

If I play, I play, if I don’t and I’m on the bench then I’ve just got to take my chance when I come on,” he said.

Been hanging out with Mr ("if we win, we win") Williams too much.

I would have said:  "Of course you want to play every minute of every game but if I'm on the bench I'll accept that and give it everything I've got when I come on."

Too bad I can't play football for shit.

9 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Can question his decision making or his footballing ability at times but his desire to win has been evident on the pitch and cannot be questioned. For that I have respect for him. 

Fair enough.  I'm still haunted by Williams remarks and probably see ghosts when I shouldn't.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Ben Gonerrucio more like it, meh will probably pull Mauk now 

I wish him well, always seemed to give his best.  I don't expect to see him trip ex-team mates 20m off the ball (unlike his dog of a mate).

Wouldn't surprise me if he plays better with a fresh start.

• Like 1

Couldn't fault him regarding our team as technically he was supposed to be a backup to both Zullo and Novillo and not a starting player. A lot of respect for the young fella, always gave 100% for the team and the club. He was a good role model as a professional and should leave the club on excellent terms with supporters. Wish him all the best and hope he does well wherever he's going, as long as its not when he's against us.

• Like 5

A good player but not good enough. I never knew really where he could really shine. For a wing player he just wasnt fast enough and his skills were just on the good side of average. Hope he continues to develop well and finds his place on the pitch as he seems like decent guy. Good luck mate.

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I wish him well, always seemed to give his best.  I don't expect to see him trip ex-team mates 20m off the ball (unlike his dog of a mate).

Wouldn't surprise me if he plays better with a fresh start.

Glad I am not the only one that thinks Mauk is a low life piece of crap.

Edited by playmaker

• 4 years later...