Melbourne Football

Ben Garuccio is a legend thread

kingofhearts

Thought this kid deserves his own thread after how well he's been playing lately.

Gave the assist to Williams on the weekend, but whenever he has been on has played very well and given the team a lift.

Can't believe this kid wasn't given a minute under JA, out best youth prospect IMO

What a fucken legend :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Surely Kalmar to be dropped over Garruccio. Think this will be Kalmar's last season unless he has a longer contract already. I rated the guy but has never been consistent enough to warrant taking up a spot in the first XI in the key play making AM role. These are the kind of areas the new owners will be looking to buy in genuine quality. I don't really see much by way of further improvement in Kalmar's game. Sky's the limit for Garruccio given his first few efforts. Big call on best youth prospect though surely Mauk takes that title.

One question in my mind is how it's all going to work. Seems to me it's fairly easy for someone like Garuccio to spend 6-12 months at the City football Academy in Manchester and get a few games there than it is for City to send a promising young player over here for some senior experience - because of the visa player restrictions. So I'm wondering whether we're going to see more of our promising young players go over there for assessment and development rather than hang around here on the bench and get a few minutes every once in a while? The NYL is not that much of a competition and teams are often clogged with senior players coming back from injury or trying to get back into form.

Surely Kalmar to be dropped over Garruccio. Think this will be Kalmar's last season unless he has a longer contract already. I rated the guy but has never been consistent enough to warrant taking up a spot in the first XI in the key play making AM role. These are the kind of areas the new owners will be looking to buy in genuine quality. I don't really see much by way of further improvement in Kalmar's game. Sky's the limit for Garruccio given his first few efforts. Big call on best youth prospect though surely Mauk takes that title.

I was in Parra when he made his debut and he looked quite capable then as well before his nasty injury.

Also I with you Perthheart 100% on it being time for Kalmar to be released.

I will also be surprised if he can find another A League home.

• Like 1

Either Mauk or Garruccio two Adelaide boys with talent that Adelaide United were too stupid to sign.  I think they may have learned their lesson now. The lost Goodwin Mauk and Garruccio all in the space of a couple of years all because the so called idiots there couldn't  recognise real talent. Our gain. Just have to get Goodwin back I believe he is off contract soon.

JVS obviously shows faith in the young guys and knows if they can deal with the first team pressures.

what's the deal with Jeremy Walker lately, Injured or something. He was fantastic last year.

One question in my mind is how it's all going to work. Seems to me it's fairly easy for someone like Garuccio to spend 6-12 months at the City football Academy in Manchester and get a few games there than it is for City to send a promising young player over here for some senior experience - because of the visa player restrictions. So I'm wondering whether we're going to see more of our promising young players go over there for assessment and development rather than hang around here on the bench and get a few minutes every once in a while? The NYL is not that much of a competition and teams are often clogged with senior players coming back from injury or trying to get back into form.

Unless he has an European passport he will be going no where near the Man City academy.

To get a work permit you have to be an established international

This.

Garuccio looks like he's got the goods but there's an abundance of young Australian wide players yet a big shortage in young Australian creative midfielders, Mauk has a brighter future in my opinion.

It all comes down to gametime and making the most of your opportunities though, and it's great to see both kids doing so under JVS when never really given the chance under JA.

• Like 1

Unless he has an European passport he will be going no where near the Man City academy.

Do you have to get a work permit to attend a football academy? That would surprise me.

Do you have to get a work permit to attend a football academy? That would surprise me.

You dont.

Tons of Aussie Kids each year end up going to Football Academies in Europe...

Its often cited as the reason for the lack of ability in the new crop of Socceroos compared to the Golden Generation:

Many of whom stayed in the NSL for a bit longer to develop their craft before leaving our shores.

Edited by cadete

You dont.

Its often cited as the reason for the lack of ability in the new crop of Socceroos compared to the Golden Generation:

Many of whom stayed in the NSL for a bit longer to develop their craft before leaving our shores.

They're mainly the ones with EU passports through parents, grandparents, etc. especially if they are u18

To get a work permit you have to be an established international Do you have to get a work permit to attend a football academy? That would surprise me. You dont.

They're mainly the ones with EU passports through parents, grandparents, etc. especially if they are u18

That's the only way you can go over isn't it?

It was the reason Emerton stayed in Australia while Kewell went to Leeds if memory serves.

To get a work permit you have to be an established international Do you have to get a work permit to attend a football academy? That would surprise me. You dont.

That's the only way you can go over isn't it?

It was the reason Emerton stayed in Australia while Kewell went to Leeds if memory serves.

To England, yes.

Lets hope Garrucio stays with us. He struggled to get a look in for a long time, and although he is young, hopefully he sees what a big opportunity it is to be a part of the New MH journey :)

What we have seen from him in the time he has got on the park has been very promising. Hopefully JVS can get him more game time in the remaining matches.

• 3 weeks later...

Thread title is 100% appropriate, killed it tonight at LB. Surprisingly strong in the tackle and offered a good option in attack. Think he may have found his calling. On that performance I think it safe to say he'd be a brilliant successor to Aziz.

100% this. Brilliant from JVS. No one at the start of the week expected us to line up like we did. Pure genius.

• Like 3

Man city will set up an academy here and I'm sure Ben would be one of those to go to man city for a trial or a development programme and get loaned out to lower tiered clubs

I hope that doesn't happen. I don't think man city would want any of there players in the lower leagues ? 

Thought he was the best player on the park. Was very worried when I saw he was starting at left back and thought Archie would give him a hard time but boy was I wrong!! Loved how Archie was getting so frustrated that he couldn't buy a trick to pass him. Eventually Muscunt swapped Troisi to that wing and still Garuccio was defending brilliantly. Solid second half too, some great interceptions and great runs forward.

Great game!!

Man city will set up an academy here and I'm sure Ben would be one of those to go to man city for a trial or a development programme and get loaned out to lower tiered clubs

I am very certain that won't be the case.

The reason why the CFG is happening is that we will be able to produce players that move to clubs within the group.

You can be sure this lad will be allowed to develop in the A League and should he make good progress may very well go first to another country were the league may be of a better standard than the A League, but will be a club we will have connections with.

Thought the lad was superb today and fully expect him to be a regular for 3 or 4 years if he keeps that form up.