Melbourne Football

The International Marquee thread

Shahanga

I don't think Engelaar has shown enough to warrant the slot at this stage. Would love for him to stay on and find a way to fit him under the salary cap, but I just can't see him being our marquee man in 2014/15, unless he absolutely destroys the league in the last nine weeks of this season.

Engelaar hasn't shown enought to warrant a slot? Give the guy a break! He's only been back for a few games.

IMO, in these few games he has already shown the ability to lift the spirits and hopes of an entire team whose morale has been drilled into the ground, which I think is one of the most important aspects of a marquee player.

...at this stage...

I'm not writing him off at all. I'm just saying that to be our international marquee next season, he's probably going to have to be one of the best performing players in the league for the remainder of the season. We've got a scouting network and we'll soon have resources at our disposal that the other sides could only dream of and we'll be able to secure any of a number of world class players in the offseason. Engelaar's healthy now and he'll be back for the trip to NZ. Nothing wrong with making a guy earn his spot.

I get what you mean.

My mistake.

If City want Heart to play a more posession based, passing game like I have heard, then Engelaar would fit in really well.

He has a knack for keeping the ball even when being swarmed by players, and his passing ability is great. His place in the center of the park, would allow him to control the play in a posession type game.

On another note, he claims he's really happy in Aus so as far as I'm concerned, City shouldn't bother looking too far for a new marquee option.

I'm certain that he will be reviewed in precisely the same way as all the others.

And his red card won't have done him any good.

Good Idea,

Im looking at Craig Bellamy - Peter Crouch - for Forwards

Sorry mate I'm quite happy in the potteries and bellamys shite...

Wouldn't mind Scott Parker tbh. Not a massive name I know but a good player who's work-rate is second to none...

Talking to a huge Parker fan but wouldn't want him purely because of injuries. Massimo Murdocca offers a poor mans Parker minus the long range shooting and passing ability lol. I'd prefer to go for someone a little more sturdy. 

Think Rosicky would be a fantastic marquee but as a Gunners fan I'm torn. If he comes here and is replaced by Draxler, now that would be a dream scenario.

Wenger has mentioned that Rosicky will likely sign another one year deal.

As a Gooner myself I think Rosicky has got plenty more to give to the Arsenal and won't leave just yet. I hope he stays, I think he's one of our better players even at this age, he's actually my favourite player in the team. 

If he decides to move on at the end of this season or next(I personally would keep him at Arsenal until he decides to retire, I think he's got another 2 seasons of EPL football in him after this one) then I agree he'd be awesome for the Heart. A great player, and a fantastic professional/leader.

Whoever we get as a marquee I'd hope they're either a dynamic box-to-box midfielder or a crafty, creative attacking midfielder. I feel we can find a good foreign striker who doesn't necessarily need to be a marquee but it seems a lot harder to find the sort of quality required at AM or CM without paying a marquee wage.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 1

Old article but, shows we can think big:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/10569709/Manchester-City-target-Barcelona-midfielder-Xavi-as-New-York-City-FCs-marquee-signing.html

If that's what they're aiming for in NY, I would be hugely disappointed if we didn't land a Del Piero, Fowler, Heskey profile type.

Sean Wright Phillips . be 33 then links to Citeh & would rip the rest of the A league a new one ;)

We could do sooooo much better then SWP. He's not a huge name, and his best asset is speed, which is ever declining. 

Would go all out for Eto'o, Lampard or Drogba. 

I'm not a Chelsea fan at all (can't stand them really), but all three are big-name players who still perform at a high level. 

Also whats Robbie Keanes situation and LA? I know he supported the Heart as a boy so would love to come down. 

Sean Wright Phillips . be 33 then links to Citeh & would rip the rest of the A league a new one ;)

We could do sooooo much better then SWP. He's not a huge name, and his best asset is speed, which is ever declining. 

I'm not a Chelsea fan at all (can't stand them really), but all three are big-name players who still perform at a high level. 

Also whats Robbie Keanes situation and LA? I know he supported the Heart as a boy so would love to come down. 

??

Do you mean Hearts? or is he a time traveller?

• Like 1

??

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/02/02/is-tottenham-striker-robbie-keane-a-liar-or-just-confused/

http://www.bootifulgame.com/portfolio/teams-robbie-keane-supported-as-a-boy/

??

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/02/02/is-tottenham-striker-robbie-keane-a-liar-or-just-confused/

http://www.bootifulgame.com/portfolio/teams-robbie-keane-supported-as-a-boy/

HAHA

Keane is a knob

• 5 years later...

Ok.

The problem as I see it is after the Koren disaster the club took the wrong lesson. Instead of taking the lesson as “needing to know the league better and being careful about older/fading players” they seem to have decided that the lesson was “expensive players aren’t worth it”. Hence they give us cheaper pseudo-marquees like Budzinski and Berenguer, who struggle to even get a start.
It’s like anything in life, the market is generally right. Ok bargains exist, but on average there will be a reason why player X commands more salary and why player Y doesn’t. If we were prepared to spend a bit more we could get decent marquees. Take the luck out of it.

You have 2 quality marquees and at least 1 extra quality vi$a and that’s your team spine right there. It just looks to me like we’ve spread the visa cash too evenly and we ended up signing players who may not be better than youth graduates.

PS. I tried to update the thread name to something non date specific but couldn’t. Help @jw1739

7 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Ok.

The problem as I see it is after the Koren disaster the club took the wrong lesson. Instead of taking the lesson as “needing to know the league better and being careful about older/fading players” they seem to have decided that the lesson was “expensive players aren’t worth it”. Hence they give us cheaper pseudo-marquees like Budzinski and Berenguer, who struggle to even get a start.
It’s like anything in life, the market is generally right. Ok bargains exist, but on average there will be a reason why player X commands more salary and why player Y doesn’t. If we were prepared to spend a bit more we could get decent marquees. Take the luck out of it.

You have 2 quality marquees and at least 1 extra quality vi$a and that’s your team spine right there. It just looks to me like we’ve spread the visa cash too evenly and we ended up signing players who may not be better than youth graduates.

PS. I tried to update the thread name to something non date specific but couldn’t. Help @jw1739

Actually we could be even savvier and use Fornaroli as a template. First not to be too old, secondly not to have a history of soft tissue injuries, third get them as a normal visa player with an option for an upgrade to marquee if they stay on the pitch and are regular starters. We can spend more upfront but there is always teh risk taht they can't cope with a summer competition.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Actually we could be even savvier and use Fornaroli as a template. First not to be too old, secondly not to have a history of soft tissue injuries, third get them as a normal visa player with an option for an upgrade to marquee if they stay on the pitch and are regular starters. We can spend more upfront but there is always teh risk taht they can't cope with a summer competition.

They are definitely after that model sadly it’s pretty much only worked once.

It worked with Bart but they didn’t want to meet his wage demand in the end, saying that I wouldn’t have place him in the hidden gem category.

• Like 1