Melbourne Football

A League Refereeing

Shahanga

There are rumours that some of the referees will become professional next season by FFA.

Most likely see the ones with FIFA badges become full time employees.

The referees all have day jobs like everyone else so aside from fitness training 2-3 times a week after work there is not much other free time for them to concentrate on aspects of the game. They all have families too. They only get paid for each game they officiate in.

Easy to blame referees for decisions but they don't have the luxury of numerous TV replays and angles of incidents to view prior to making a decision with a second or two after it occurred.

The red on Orlando was technically there, but the clown from Sydney screamed in agony and if you notice the referee immediately called for the bench to attend to the player. He may have thought the player was seriously injured after seeing the studs into the leg.

There are rumours that some of the referees will become professional next season by FFA.

The referees all have day jobs like everyone else so aside from fitness training 2-3 times a week after work there is not much other free time for them to concentrate on aspects of the game. They all have families too. They only get paid for each game they officiate in.

Easy to blame referees for decisions but they don't have the luxury of numerous TV replays and angles of incidents to view prior to making a decision with a second or two after it occurred.

The red on Orlando was technically there, but the clown from Sydney screamed in agony and if you notice the referee immediately called for the bench to attend to the player. He may have thought the player was seriously injured after seeing the studs into the leg.

Yes and you also note that the "injured player" immediately got up and walked to the sideline and then continued playing, yes in was worth a yellow but definitely NOT a red card .

Thought he did alright.  Red was there, just a bit harsh/unlucky for Engelaar.  Ramsay's wasn't a pen (defender got the ball).  The handball might have been a pen, but protecting the face is usually allowed (not sure if that's an actual rule).  Germano appears to be offside for the goal, if that tackle is counted as a pass by Dugandzic.

• Like 1

Yes and you also note that the "injured player" immediately got up and walked to the sideline and then continued playing, yes in was worth a yellow but definitely NOT a red card .

Just wonder why the decision has to be so immediate. Why could the ref. not have the option of first pulling out the yellow card and asking the fourth official what he thinks (after all, they are all wired up or if they aren't they should be) and then pull the red if his decision is backed up? While the "injured" player is down this would not hold up the match. If the red is confirmed then the yellow is cancelled out.

Not suggesting refereeing by replay all the time, but matches shouldn't be decided by incorrect decisions if it can be avoided.

Sorry Herman but I think you must have been watching another game.

That was only a good performance if you were comparing it to what a member of the crowd could of done.  Watch a Premier League game and see how a professional ref conducts himself.

Ref Standards in our comp are poor, however unfortunately you can't realy compare part time official with a full time highly paid premier league ref.

Well actually thats my point.  These refs are probably performing as well as you can expect them to, when they are part timers who needs to devote most of their spare time to fitness.  Thats why its up to the FFA to fix it. Pay them enough so that they aren't part timers for crying out loud. 

BTW surprised no one else wants to discuss the penalty that became a free kick. 

Well actually thats my point.  These refs are probably performing as well as you can expect them to, when they are part timers who needs to devote most of their spare time to fitness.  Thats why its up to the FFA to fix it. Pay them enough so that they aren't part timers for crying out loud. 

To be fair it was outside the box, imo it was the only good call the ref made for the whole night

Ppl here should take the red&white glasses off for a minute

Rules state players must be protected from potentially career ending injury.

Engelaar's challenge although unintentional was still dangerous because his studs landed on the shin bone, red was justified.

I think the biggest screw up was ADP attempting to protect his Botox from being squashed by Harry's kick.

Definite hand ball and penalty.

As for other decisions it was a bag full of classic a league standard calls, they all make as part timers.

When we see FFA pull their head out of heir arse and decide that we deserve full time pro refs not much will change.

• Like 1

To be fair it was outside the box, imo it was the only good call the ref made for the whole night

Yeah, it seemed really close and on the replay it almost seemed as if it were right on the line so benefit of the doubt has to go to the defending team in that instance. 

The rest of the game was deplorable from Gillet, absolutely atrocious refereeing. Ben Williams is the other serial offender.

I am actually curious about the argument for full time ref's.

I was once talking to a local league aussie rules umpire when the topic came up, and the question arose should umpires be fulltime?

His answer was no, because there isn't enough for them to do, which was something I never considered.

What would they do? Surely there isn't enough footage to review to fill a week, I'm not sure how many simulation drills they could do and I doubt they would have anywhere near the fitness commitments players do as they wouldn't need to do weights at all and don't need to prepare for anything more than a constant jog.

I would imagine it would make the job worse for them, as it would involve large periods of boredom. Unlike playing the sport, the skills they practice are not doable by themselves or without a drill setup, and the skills they perform aren't fun (I assume they do find them fun to some degree, but they don't exactly do fun passing drills or one on one training or anything).

And then you consider that in season they have one match a  week (possibly another as the fourth official), unlike the European leagues where they would be pushing towards 3 a fortnight, and then out of season is pretty much half a year without a match unless they go back to the second tier which would require subsidising from the FFA.  

It's slightly awkward because the ideal hours would be somewhere between part time and full time, and I wonder if the bigger issue is a small pool of people not only interested in becoming a ref, but then also willing to sacrifice every weekend and multiple weeknights every summer.

I'm just not sure the solution is "make them full time" 

• 2 years later...

The really disappointing thing is that the A-League made three full time with the expectations of improvement yet they have gone backwards. Why? maybe the game has improved an refereeing stood still, maybe their training is crap, maybe they are recruiting the wrong people. However the consequences are myriad: ruined spectacle, reduces competition as players become weary, coaching and player careers can hit a bump, lower game turn out, lower sponsorship. And then there are the wider ramifications, how do you tell the 14 year olds what the rules and spirit of the game is when they see A-League refereeing being so inept?

The amazing thing is, the refereeing in general play is normally ok. It's the "big decisions" that are the problem.

Maybe it is a cultural thing, I mean when you award one of the worst top flight refs I've ever seen, Ben Williams, as "the best ref in Asia" you are encouraging his style of reffing - being ego driven seat of his pants big decisions with clearly no comebacks for stuff ups the next week.

Be interesting to see what happens to Green now, if he was a player, he'd be dropped (and possibly run out of the club), surely he shouldn't ref now for at least a month. 

The problem issnt the refereeing in the league as there are the same issues in every league across the globe. Its that the spectator and commentators have access to things that the referees dont (and shouldnt mind you) but everyone seems to treat it like the referee can look at things in multiple angles and slow motion with their own eyes. The second Brisbane goal was not offside and if any of you think that, you should take of those city coloured glasses.

Yes the penalties last night were soft but the ref was consistent and you are never going to have a perfectly refereed game so thats all you can ask for. The players and coaches behaviour toward refs is a disgrace and its not better from the public either, and you dont see  any of them putting their hand up to go ref in a local league. 

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

The problem issnt the refereeing in the league as there are the same issues in every league across the globe. Its that the spectator and commentators have access to things that the referees dont (and shouldnt mind you) but everyone seems to treat it like the referee can look at things in multiple angles and slow motion with their own eyes. The second Brisbane goal was not offside and if any of you think that, you should take of those city coloured glasses.

Yes the penalties last night were soft but the ref was consistent and you are never going to have a perfectly refereed game so thats all you can ask for. The players and coaches behaviour toward refs is a disgrace and its not better from the public either, and you dont see  any of them putting their hand up to go ref in a local league. 

If games are being decided by poor decisions, then of course the refereeing is a problem. 

However, I agree that rather than merely abusing and bashing them, there needs to be some serious investment into better training/importing referees from overseas or whatever needs to be done to raise the standard because at the moment the situation's bad.

@Dylan if you were talking about the refs in community games I would agree with you 100%. It's a tough job and they play a vital role and need support.

We though are talking about officiating at the highest level in our game. The officials play a crucial role. For some years now we have seen far too many matches decided by poor decisions. I never see this level of fuck ups in the Premier League, so it can be done better and we shouldn't be satisfied with mediocrity.

As to last nights game personally I don't think the ref gifting us a penalty because he realised his first half mistake means he had a good game or even an acceptable game. On top of that there is the  Caceres non decision, which was just as bad.

in regards to the offside well we'll have to agree to disagree, however I do agree that relying on centimetre decisions like that being right with the naked eye is not realistic, if that was all that went wrong last night we would not be having this discussion.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

the dopey cunts have made massive mistakes in every game so far this round, disgusting level of officiating 

Just watched the highlights of the other games, I still can't believe how much worse the standard of refeering has become this season. There is always a few mistakes from the newer referees but someone has to give Beath a kick up the arse!

• 7 months later...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/a-league/aleague-will-trial-use-of-yellow-and-red-cards-for-misbehaving-coaches-in-worldfirst-football-experiment/news-story/8b897eae0f99cc65d401d7cf722b4013

A-League will trial use of yellow and red cards for misbehaving coaches in world-first football experiment

IT promises to bring a new element of theatre to the A-League, in a world-first experiment to improve coaches behaviour.

Football’s international rule makers have given A-League bosses permission to trial coaches being given yellow and red cards for dissent and abuse of match officials or opposition players, in a very public attempt to reduce such behaviour.

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) only confirmed its agreement to the trial in the past few days, and its introduction will be delayed by several weeks as the detail is worked out - such as what penalty, if any, will be invoked for the accrual of several yellows.

But as part of a global attempt to reduce public displays of dissent towards match officials, Australian referees may show yellow and then red cards to coaches as soon as round four of the new season.

Competition chiefs believe that being explicitly warned via a yellow card will act as a deterrent, though A-League referees boss Ben Wilson emphasised that a warning system has been used for some time, but without the public codification of using cards.“IFAB has been looking at ways to increase respect for officials, and in the past in an Australian context there has been criticism of some behaviour in the technical areas in the A-League,” Wilson said. “IFAB has agreed that using yellow and red cards could be a way of affecting behaviour like that, and they want to see how it plays out.

We’ve only just got permission to trial it, and we need to have quite a bit of discussion with referees, players and of course coaches about how it will work, and the detail of it. There’s some administrative and technical issues to consider, and we have to get everyone’s point of view.

“We already do a system called Ask, Tell, Remove, which we think has been effective, but certainly from a crowd point of view this would make explicit the warnings and consequences for coaches’ behaviour.”

Fans and viewers can also expect to see the ball in play during games for longer, with A-League referees being encouraged to add more time on for stoppages, and reduce the number of times the game is stopped for minor infringements.

Already in the FFA Cup this season there has been more minutes added in each half, and referees have sought to halt the game less.

“We want the A-League to be as entertaining as possible, and that includes letting the game flow,” said Wilson. “We’ve asked the referees not to penalise small fouls like a push for example where a team retains possession, and also to capture the time lost to stoppages more accurately.

“For some reason it seems to be accepted that there’s a minute or so added in the first half then three or four minutes in the second half. We want substitutions, goals, injuries all to be accounted for - if there are five or six minutes of stoppages, add that on.”

Edited by Forever City