Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

Man of the Hour (and a half)

Aaron Mooy is a fairly reserved, quietly spoken individual, as his tweet marking City's win over Victory suggested.

Great 3 points yesterday !

https://twitter.com/AaronMooy/status/546457933576286208

Nothing too outrageous there.

But he is becoming more and more of an on-field force as this season rolls on and it was his direction out of the midfield that was the main reason City was able to succeed in the derby.

Hopefully, Mooy will survive when the Socceroos squad for January's Asian Cup is cut from 46 to 23 on Tuesday morning. He deserves it on form.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/12/22/false-9-round-11-sky-turns-dark-blues

Fully agree. It would be a real injustice if he didn't make the Asian Cup Socceroos squad.

Won't go into detail, but if the likes of Terry Antonis gets picked over Mooy it would be ridiculous. I've looked at the stats of both, and Mooy's numbers kick the shit out of Antonis'.

Hopefully his name is duly read out tomorrow.

• Like 1

Coe got a hand on it and it went up and hit the bar and came out.

Have to credit the lad for getting across to it. Based on Saturday's showing he's a good 'keeper. Liked his red outfit too!

Our boys should've been in red n white on Sat. It's Xmas for gods sake.

Could've been worse, Santa decked out in white, sky blue, navy blue.

Man of the Hour (and a half)

Aaron Mooy is a fairly reserved, quietly spoken individual, as his tweet marking City's win over Victory suggested.

Great 3 points yesterday !

https://twitter.com/AaronMooy/status/546457933576286208

Nothing too outrageous there.

But he is becoming more and more of an on-field force as this season rolls on and it was his direction out of the midfield that was the main reason City was able to succeed in the derby.

Hopefully, Mooy will survive when the Socceroos squad for January's Asian Cup is cut from 46 to 23 on Tuesday morning. He deserves it on form.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/12/22/false-9-round-11-sky-turns-dark-blues

Fully agree. It would be a real injustice if he didn't make the Asian Cup Socceroos squad.

Won't go into detail, but if the likes of Terry Antonis gets picked over Mooy it would be ridiculous. I've looked at the stats of both, and Mooy's numbers kick the shit out of Antonis'.

Hopefully his name is duly read out tomorrow.

Mooy not in squad

I think from our point of view it's a great result. Socceroos will struggle and being our most valuable player will be able to recharge spend time working on things, and hopefully out to prove how big a mistake Ange made. If this happens and he rips it up in the second half of the year alongside Koren and Kennedy well win the league.

Getting ahead of myself, well win few games.

Mooy didn't make it

http://www.abc.net.a...p-squad/5984902

Socceroos' 23-man Asian Cup squad
  • Terry Antonis, Aziz Behich, Mark Bresciano, Nathan Burns, Tim Cahill, Jason Davidson, Ivan Franjic, Eugene Galekovic, Chris Herd, Mile Jedinak, Tomi Juric, Robbie Kruse, Mitchell Langerak, Mathew Leckie, Luongo, Matt McKay, Mark Milligan, Tommy Oar, Mat Ryan, Trent Sainsbury, Matthew Spiranovic, James Troisi, Alex Wilkinson.

Here's the numbers for Mooy and Antonis:

23r2t93.jpg

You get a little more efficiency with the passing with Antonis, but you lose a lot of effectiveness. I mean come on, Antonis has 0 assists. Mooy on the other hand has 2, and would have a lot more if our team could finish. And stunningly about half of Mooy's passes are forward, which is a huge number.

But McKay's selection is just a plain mistake. He's done nothing noticeable this season except miss gilt-edged chances and moronically get himself sent off and suspended. 

So Mooy's been really hard done by.

The silver-lining is we get him in the team for the CCM and Newcastle games, and Mooy will likely continue to show the form that proves he certainly merits Socceroos selection.

• Like 2

I dont see this being a problem.

Better for our club in the long run. Last thing we want is to gather momentum before the break and then have Mooy injure himself playing for the Socceroos.

Totally agree with this. From the club perspective, it's a no brainer.

My frustration is solely based on him personally being deservedly rewarded for the wonderful season he has had to date.

• Like 2

Better for our club in the long run. Last thing we want is to gather momentum before the break and then have Mooy injure himself playing for the Socceroos.

This.

If I could have it my way I would like all MCFC players to be the next player picked in their position for all International Squads... 

Mooy is probably disappointed but I am glad he will be with the club. Since Mauk went to play for the Olyroos, it has taken him a long time to make it to the bench. Right now I would rather have the whole squad at training with MCFC. Furthermore, I would rather that our young players not have the kind of exposure that the Asia Cup brings otherwise there may be offers that they may not turn down.

This.

If I could have it my way I would like all MCFC players to be the next player picked in their position for all International Squads...

I reckon this is why melling has surpassed mauk. He doesnt have young socceroo call ups.

Unless im wrong but im certain he hassnt had one in a long while

Here's the numbers for Mooy and Antonis:

23r2t93.jpg

You get a little more efficiency with the passing with Antonis, but you lose a lot of effectiveness. I mean come on, Antonis has 0 assists. Mooy on the other hand has 2, and would have a lot more if our team could finish. And stunningly about half of Mooy's passes are forward, which is a huge number.

But McKay's selection is just a plain mistake. He's done nothing noticeable this season except miss gilt-edged chances and moronically get himself sent off and suspended. 

So Mooy's been really hard done by.

The silver-lining is we get him in the team for the CCM and Newcastle games, and Mooy will likely continue to show the form that proves he certainly merits Socceroos selection.

I'm surprised he didn't make the squad, but I don't see it as a big problem for either him or the club.  if he had made it he would have been a squaddy, so he's not missing out on a lot and the snub should fire him up to keep improving.  He's only young, I can't see why he still can't be a big part of the 2018 world cup qualification campaign.  

Looking at the stats the key one not shown is "average time in possession".  He simply hangs on to the ball for too long (though I thought he was better Saturday night) and Ange seems to have punished him for it.   He sorts that out, gets a goal or 2 from open play and he's Johnny Warren medallist material.

• Like 1

Melbourne City midfielder Aaron Mooy to use pain of Socceroos omission as motivation to improve

MATT WINDLEY

DECEMBER 27, 2014

AARON Mooy is determined to use the pain of his omission from the Socceroos’ Asian Cup squad as motivation to improve.

Named in the initial 46-man squad, the Melbourne City midfielder has been declared as perhaps the unluckiest player to miss out on Ange Postecoglou’s final 23-man group, named last Tuesday.

In what was his first game since the squad was named, Mooy scored in City’s 1-1 draw with A-League ladder leaders Perth Glory at AAMI Park on Friday.

But afterwards the 24-year-old didn’t hide his disappointment in not making the cut for the national team.

“It’s a hard question, but yes, it was disappointing, definitely,” Mooy said.

“But I’ve just got to keep trying to play well and consistently and see what happens.

“Now I’ve got a task to prove them wrong, that’s my job now.

“It’s a setback, so now I’ve got to take things as they come.

“It’s motivating, definitely, very motivating. I made the initial 46, that’s always good, but I still can improve a lot. I’ll just be trying to improve as much as I can and see where that takes me.”

His omission for Australia means Mooy will be free to join the rest of his teammates on City’s tour of Abu Dhabi during next month’s Asian Cup break.

The 12-day camp will include intensive training sessions at the New York University in Abu Dhabi as well as friendly games on January 11 and 18.

“That will be great,” he said.

“We get to play a couple of games against Al Jazira and a German team so that’s exciting. It’ll be nice weather, we’ll have everyone together training, so it will be good.”

City continues to edge closer to full strength after a season blighted by injuries, the coming and going of David Villa and recent signing of Australian marquee striker Josh Kennedy.

International marquee midfielder Robert Koren has now played two matches off the bench since returning from a long-term calf injury, while coach John van’t Schip said Irish winger Damien Duff will be fit to start Tuesday’s game against Newcastle.

Duff played 32 minutes off the bench against Perth after missing one game with a calf injury of his own.

Mooy said the cameos of Duff and Koren on Friday promised plenty, while the impending debut of Kennedy was also exciting.

“They made a big difference,” he said.

“When you’ve got great players like that you can just give them the ball and they’ll create something. They did well.

“They’re all big-name players so they’re definitely going to be able to help the team a lot. I’m looking forward to it and I’m sure everyone else is as well.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-midfielder-aaron-mooy-to-use-pain-of-socceroos-omission-as-motivation-to-improve/story-fnk6rlg0-1227168065350?nk=35c1127ef81480386beb1bf390495cfb

At the end of the day, I see supporting an A-League club in a situation like this to supporting your state in the Sheffield Shield. Sure, you want the Vics to do well in the domestic comps, but ultimately, if one of your boys would make the national squad better, you should be happy to see them promoted. It hurts your team, but it's part and parcel of supporting a team in a second/third/fourth tier competition.

Love this guy - in a strong blokey kind of way of course :)

Has he done much wrong since pulling on one of our shirts? Heck NO. Now with Melling alongside we have a strong engine room with plenty of grunt and purpose. If only our Three Stooges up front could have more penetration and a few more goals to their names we'd be creaming it.

• Like 2

Love this guy - in a strong blokey kind of way of course :)

Has he done much wrong since pulling on one of our shirts? Heck NO. Now with Melling alongside we have a strong engine room with plenty of grunt and purpose. If only our Three Stooges up front could have more penetration and a few more goals to their names we'd be creaming it.

Aaron Mooy is the sort of player who is playing at Marquee level and so deserves significantly more pay. Problem is FFA's mandated shit low salary cap doesn't allow it - no matter how financial a club is - so someone like Aaron Mooy is a sitting duck for much larger "true market value" offers from other clubs, particularly in Asia.

• Like 1

Mooy has been head and shoulders about everyone else this year and as pretty much everyone has said very unluky to not make the Asain Cup squad.

Previously I think too often Mooy looked to pass when he was in a good enough position to have a crack, against Perth he fixed that and trusted himself to have a shot a goal and it payed off.

A-League R12: Aaron Mooy’s message for Ange, Wanderers luck dries out

Tom Smithies

December 29, 2014

1. Aaron Mooy has a point to prove

You almost wonder where Ange Postecoglou has told Aaron Mooy that he’s first cab off the rank in the event of an injury in the Socceroos squad before the Asian Cup kicks off (even though the Socceroos coach is adamant he doesn’t actually talk to players). Because even allowing for the pain of rejection firing him up, Mooy’s performances get more impressive by the week. He took his goal against Perth superbly, and is liberated by a more advanced role at Melbourne City than Tony Popovic usually allowed him at Western Sydney.

[...]

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/football/a-league-r12-aaron-mooys-message-for-ange-wanderers-luck-dries-out-melbourne-victory-is-real-deal/story-fnp0lxaw-1227169223357?nk=7434ba95b1b8fb0e78f0fa8272c14718