Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

Mooy has said he wants the number 10 role.  Remember reading somewhere that was the root of the friction with Popovic, who preferred Ono in that role.

Remember, Mooy was a bit of a coup when he first signed for WSW.  Then he played second fiddle to Ono.

So with the talk of marquees, and general consensus that it will be a play maker and striker (one Aus and one overseas) where does that leave us with Mooy?

We really need a number 6, a deep lying play maker. ( I hate saying AM and DM- if you play in the middle your job is more than winning tackles but thats just me)

Mooy has said he wants the number 10 role.  Remember reading somewhere that was the root of the friction with Popovic, who preferred Ono in that role.

Remember, Mooy was a bit of a coup when he first signed for WSW.  Then he played second fiddle to Ono.

So with the talk of marquees, and general consensus that it will be a play maker and striker (one Aus and one overseas) where does that leave us with Mooy?

We really need a number 6, a deep lying play maker. ( I hate saying AM and DM- if you play in the middle your job is more than winning tackles but thats just me)

I think he said that he wanted to have a more attacking role rather than an out and out number 10 and that he really didnt like the rotation policy of Popvic, seems like their relationship soured after the first season. If it didnt he might have been their new number 10 since Ono was gone. He might have a more box to box role with us than a replacement off the bench for Ono, or as a dm.

I was having a look over at the 442 forums there seems to be a little hatred towards Mooy from their fans so maybe somethings happend, apparently a couple of times he hassnt gone over to the RBB to celebrate or something like that. 

Edited by Dylan

I think he said that he wanted to have a more attacking role rather than an out and out number 10 and that he really didnt like the rotation policy of Popvic, seems like their relationship soured after the first season. If it didnt he might have been their new number 10 since Ono was gone. He might have a more box to box role with us than a replacement off the bench for Ono, or as a dm.

I was having a look over at the 442 forums there seems to be a little hatred towards Mooy from their fans so maybe somethings happend, apparently a couple of times he hassnt gone over to the RBB to celebrate or something like that.

Can you blame him?

• Like 1

After seeing Mooy play for wsw in his first season with them I thought that he was the best Aussie midfielder in the a league. Milligan and Bratten seemed to have better seasons this year, but am confident that he will recapture the form from the previous season. In any case I think that he is a terrific signing by the club.

And we have a new Cult Hero who hasn't played a game. :up:

• Like 1

Well, look at it like this.. If the kits are changing they will sweeten it considerably introducing players like Mooy as well

According to the FFA A-league website, "The 23-year-old will switch from the Red and Black to the Red and White from next season"

So the main news today directly from the FFA website is that we stay Red & White!!  But I don't know if that means home or away strip :hkpalm:

Maybe I don't care anymore :redcard:

I want silverware. I'm cheap :tooth:

Edited by HEARTinator

Could someone photoshop Mooy wearing the heart kit? Don't have photoshop and when I have used I have been woeful so if someone could do this that would be great

...maybe after we find out which kit we're actually wearing  :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Recruit Aaron loving life at Melbourne City ahead of meeting with old club Bolton Wanderers

MATT WINDLEY IN MANCHESTER

JULY 22, 2014

AARON Mooy doesn’t regret for a second that he’ll be playing against Bolton Wanderers rather than for them on Thursday morning.

Besides, the 23-year-old is enjoying an English Premier League lifestyle at the moment anyway such are the benefits of being a Melbourne City player these days.

When Mooy spent the best part of four years at Bolton from 2006-10 - aged just 15 initially - the Wanderers were in England’s top flight.

That they have since been relegated to the Championship will make them no less of a formidable opponent for Melbourne City when the two teams meet at Leyland’s County Ground.

Mooy even expects to cross paths with a few familiar faces.

The midfielder was offered a year-long contract extension to stay at Reebok Stadium in 2010, but instead moved to St Mirren in Scotland in search of first team action.

“You always think ‘should I have stayed or was it right to go?’, but you sort of can’t, you’ve just got to look forward,” Mooy says.

“So I try not to think about it and I’m happy where I am now so it’s all good.

“If I had’ve stayed I probably would have been in the reserves again and I’d already been in the reserves for a while. I just really wanted to play in front of crowds and in the first team, it’s what made my decision.

“It’ll be strange (playing against them), I think there’s a few boys that I used to play with in my team.

“It was good there. Just to have the facilities and the coaching, to be around the first team squad - they were playing in the Europa League at the time and had a really good team - I got to go to the Premier League games, every home game, so I used to watch the top class players from close up and see what they do. You learn a lot.

“It was a great experience, I’d always wanted to do it since I was very young so once I got the opportunity I was only ever going to say yes even though it was very hard to be away from my family at a young age.”

Raised in Western Sydney, the call of home was too strong when the Wanderers of the A-League were born in 2012, but now Mooy is a Melbourne City man after making the switch this off-season.

Asked why he left the Wanderers, Mooy hesitates, then says: “I was just looking for something a little bit different.”

“The people at the club here, they really, really wanted me to come which makes me want to come more, so that was one of the main factors.

“I also might be playing a different position this year, more of an attacking midfielder than a No.6. We’ll see.

“Everybody wants to be somewhere where they really want you there, so that obviously makes you want to prove to them that they made the right decision.”

Regardless of whether the Manchester City takeover was a major factor in his move south, Mooy says it is a bonus that he now finds himself part of a club with such strong links to football’s elite.

He describes as “humbling” Melbourne City’s pre-season training stint at its brother club’s Carrington training facility and said it has only made him look forward to the upcoming A-League season even more.

“It’s been unbelievable, the hotel we’re staying at is beautiful and just training at Manchester City’s facility every day has been unreal,” he says.

“The pitches are perfect, the gym has got everything in it, it’s massive, so before training we always go in there and do our prehab and warm up in there. We’re basically, right now, living the life of a Manchester City player - Yaya Toure or someone like that - so it’s pretty cool.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/recruit-aaron-loving-life-at-melbourne-city-ahead-of-meeting-with-old-club-bolton-wanderers/story-fnk6rlg0-1226997735614

Edited by Murfy1

He describes as “humbling” Melbourne City’s pre-season training stint at its brother club’s Carrington training facility and said it has only made him look forward to the upcoming A-League season even more.

“It’s been unbelievable, the hotel we’re staying at is beautiful and just training at Manchester City’s facility every day has been unreal,” he says.

“The pitches are perfect, the gym has got everything in it, it’s massive, so before training we always go in there and do our prehab and warm up in there. We’re basically, right now, living the life of a Manchester City player - Yaya Toure or someone like that - so it’s pretty cool.”

Well this is what it's about for us. Being able to attract talent with our ManC connection  - hopefully Erik Paartalu is reading this and considering a move south!

• Like 2

Yay! I actually really like the prospect of Mooy playing as a number 10 as he's best suited there. Isn't afraid to have a shot from outside the box either which is a big tick imo. 

Interesting if we are indeed chasing a number 6 as a marquee too!

I think Mooy will be used as a deeper lying play maker. Similar to what Kalmar normally does. I think that we will be a more attacking team overall compared to WSW which might satisfy him. Plus he was on the bench alot of the last season, so Id say there was a bit of a falling out with Poppa over that. Its known that Poppa rules with an iron fist, some players react well to that and some dont, so that might have been a reason too. Besides all that, he is a terrific player and it was a ridiculous decision of WSW to let him go, but its their loss.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if mooy has done enough to warrent selection yet, but valeri shouldn't be there

We will know more about his abilities when the season starts

ATM he looks like an eagle as most of his team mates are last year's pigeons

Edited by Jestr
  • Like 1