Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

Lol it was one game. I'm expecting Mooy to thrive at Heart.

WSW play 2 ACL matches, one this Weds and one next Weds (in Sydney). I reckon after the Sydney match on Wednesday next week (maybe even on the Thursday the day after) Mooy will be officially announced. Unlike victory, who announced the signing of Berisha mid-season (which made Brisbane furious), it looks like Heart will act with class regarding this player announcement, and will make it once WSW have finished playing football (I'm expecting WSW to get knocked out at this ACL stage. If they progress, the next stage is in late August, and I'm pretty certain Mooy will leave anyway because I'm pretty sure he isn't contract beyond June or July).

Am I the only one that thought he was ok? His positioning was good off the ball, he defended ok and many times he was in space calling for the ball to have it passed to his teammate surrounded by two or three opposition. He is clearly a DM now, one reason we signed him, used right he will do well in this league.

I dont rate this player anything other than average 

I was really hoping he would shine in The Final. 

But why would an average player shine in the final? Or did you decide he was average after the game? 

It was really based on what we have seen of him this past year, 

He started off really well & i was excited with the news that he was coming to Heart.

Since then I have watched every game for WSW simply cos of Mooy- he has been relegated to the Bench due to lack of form.

Dont get me wrong he has potential

But why would an average player shine in the final? Or did you decide he was average after the game? 

He started off really well & i was excited with the news that he was coming to Heart.

Since then I have watched every game for WSW simply cos of Mooy- he has been relegated to the Bench due to lack of form.

If you think Mooy was dropped to the bench because of lack of form, then you're a bit of a headcase I'd suggest bud.

If you think Mooy was dropped to the bench because of lack of form, then you're a bit of a headcase I'd suggest bud.

Yeah the main reason he is leaving WSW is because he was unhappy with what poppa was using him for. So I would assume he got assurences from us that he will be used more as an attacking mid. Oh and probably money too

Mooy's going to be class for us, his performances for the Socceroos in the East Asia Cup were quality so there's no doubt he can perform at a strong standard. 

I agree with you though Dylan, he's far better as an attacking mid than a screening mid sitting in front of the back four.

I reckon Mooy could be an excellent 'box-to-box' midfielder, who gets forward and helps in attack, but who also performs some defensive duties. So whilst I reckon Mooy will be encouraged to do some attacking in midfield, I reckon Mooy will be 1 of the 2 defensive midfielders/screening midfielders. He's got the stamina and the ability to do both some attacking and defensive roles.

I also reckon that's why the club was pretty interested in Erik Paartalu, so that there would be 1 very defensive DM (acknowledging also that Paartalu is a pretty good passer), which would give Mooy some freedom and allow him to get forward. I also think that's why the club is rebuilding the defence, to make sure there's a very strong defence that would allow the midfield to be primarily an attacking force (like the Brisbane and Adelaide midfields. Of course their midfielders do some defending, but above all they are great attacking units).

Mooy might be used as cover for a no 10, but going off what Davutovic reported today Heart will pretty likely have at least 1 marquee that can play as a no 10, so I can't see Mooy being the default no 10.

Whatever exactly happens with Mooy, I'm sure he'll thrive at the club, if only because he'll get regular game time, and he's switching from a primarily defensive team to a team that aspires to play possession football consistently (not to mention the ample investment that will likely be made into club resources, and the fact that the squad will likely be strengthened massively). I'm tipping Mooy to hit the ground running, and to do very well next season.

Mooy's going to be class for us, his performances for the Socceroos in the East Asia Cup were quality so there's no doubt he can perform at a strong standard. 

I agree with you though Dylan, he's far better as an attacking mid than a screening mid sitting in front of the back four.

Yes, and so was Garcia, Marrone and Behich.. They all scored.

Not saying I don't like the kid, but that comp was certainly nothing to go on.

Yes, and so was Garcia, Marrone and Behich.. They all scored.

Not saying I don't like the kid, but that comp was certainly nothing to go on.

True, but I was referring more to the finals which he also played (scored that screamer against China!)

Mooy is good for at least 5 goals per season from free kicks. We werr better with Kewell taking them this seasom(compared to past seasons)

But Willaims is a spud at freekicks

Kalmar is by far the best free kick taker we have at the club.

• Like 2

Mooy is good for at least 5 goals per season from free kicks. We werr better with Kewell taking them this seasom(compared to past seasons)

But Willaims is a spud at freekicks

Kalmar is by far the best free kick taker we have at the club.

But he doesn't need to be particularly good to have that honour!  The rest are simply terrible.

Anyway doesn't matter how good you are, if you aren't on the field.

• Like 1

Was said on SST last night that they heard one reason why Mooy hassnt been announced is that there is a clause in the contract that if he gets an overseas offer by a certain date he can take it, so thats why the club hassnt announced it. 

Was said on SST last night that they heard one reason why Mooy hassnt been announced is that there is a clause in the contract that if he gets an overseas offer by a certain date he can take it, so thats why the club hassnt announced it. 

If that's true, depending on the date he isn't guaranteed to be our player at all?

• Like 1

If that's true, depending on the date he isn't guaranteed to be our player at all?

It would take quite an offer for mooy to not be playing for us or so i am told.

Didn't Marwood say we'd signed him?

How more official do we need?

About time

00090581-leadimage.png

Melbourne Heart FC can announce it has secured the services of gifted central midfielder Aaron Mooy on a two-year deal from Western Sydney Wanderers.

Mooy, 23, is the fourth player under the age of 25 to have joined Melbourne Heart this week, following the capture of teenagers Connor Chapman and Jacob Melling – alongside James Brown – on two-year deals on Tuesday, as John van’t Schip assembles his squad for the Hyundai A-League 2014-15 season.

An emerging Australian talent, Mooy surfaced as one of the league’s premier playmakers during the Wanderers' inaugural season in which the club lifted the Premiers Plate.

Possessing creativity, a wonderful passing range and a dangerous set-piece, Mooy is comfortable anywhere in the midfield.

Van’t Schip said Mooy, who was also a pivotal figure in the Wanderers’ recent Asian Champions League campaign, would be a valuable addition to his squad for next season.

“Everyone who follows the A-League knows of Aaron’s quality,” van’t Schip said. “For us he can be a player who can dictate the style of football we want to play.

“He is one of the best young Australian players so we are delighted to have captured his signature. It shows the Club’s ambition to win trophies and play football a certain way.”

Mooy will commence training with the Club when the team returns to pre-season training in the first week of June.

Players Signed for 2014/15 (17 players): James Brown, Connor Chapman, Mate Dugandzic, Ben Garuccio, Jonatan Germano, Jason Hoffman, Nick Kalmar, Patrick Kisnorbo, Stefan Mauk, Jacob Melling,Aaron Mooy, Massimo Murdocca, Iain Ramsay, Andrew Redmayne, Tando Velaphi, Robbie Wielaert, David Williams

Aaron Mooy

DOB: 15 September 1990 (age 23)

Place of birth: Sydney, Australia

Position: Midfielder

Current contract details: Two-year contract (expires end of Hyundai A-League 2015/16 season)

Former Clubs: Bolton Wanderers (0,0), St. Mirren (21,1), Western Sydney Wanderers (49, 4)

International: Australia U-20 (10, 4), Australia U-23 (3,2), Socceroos (3,3)

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

I think this kills the idea that I and others said that it was because WSW was still in the ACL they didnt want to announce it and suggests that they have started all this activity because we are about to hear what the club will do with colours and name. 

Maybe 10am tomorrow? haha thats been bandied about a bit

Edited by Dylan

I think this kills the idea that I and others said that it was because WSW was still in the ACL they didnt want to announce it and suggests that they have started all this activity because we are about to hear what the club will do with colours and name. 

Maybe 10am tomorrow? thats been bandied about a bit

Good point.

I reckon they're softening up us supporters with all of these recent signings to lessen the blow when they reveal our sky blue kits!

• Like 1

Maybe 10am tomorrow? thats been bandied about a bit

Good point.

I reckon they're softening up us supporters with all of these recent signings to lessen the blow when they reveal our sky blue kits!

The announcement delays since the end of the season could have been something simple as the club was shutting down a little in the post season for staff holidays? Training starts first week of June so looks like everyone is back, the changes have been done and they are starting to ramp things up now.