Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

As of late it has actually been Behich side that has been targeted a lot more, whether it's coincidental or purposeful. We have hardly been skinned on Hoffmans side, in fact mostly the opposite. I can think of only one game that Hoffman truly struggled and that was against perth away after he had suffered heat stroke.

Alright I'll put it to you another way, how many goals have we conceded directly or indirectly from Hoffman?

This is so much like pre-season, where the signing of Velaphi and Hoffman tarnished what was otherwise some pretty impressive recruitment.

Didulica and co. still managed to sign Mooy (it almost looks certain that they pulled it off) for multiple years and without using the Australian marquee spot (as other HAL clubs were prepared to do on Mooy).

Edited by Murfy1

As of late it has actually been Behich side that has been targeted a lot more, whether it's coincidental or purposeful. We have hardly been skinned on Hoffmans side, in fact mostly the opposite. I can think of only one game that Hoffman truly struggled and that was against perth away after he had suffered heat stroke.

Alright I'll put it to you another way, how many goals have we conceded directly or indirectly from Hoffman?

Just of the top of my head - Last friday night's Sydney's goal was indirectly from Hoffman. The ball was crossed  from not quite the corner it grazed Hoffman on the chest causing a deflection which redmayne did not deal with. Now Hoffman was looking at the sydney playerso why didn't Hoffman intercept the ball properly with his chest? The camera angle seems to suggest that he was directly on the ball's path and he seems to twist sideways...and the rest is history.

This is fast becoming another Hoffman thread

This...

Why are we not discussing our club signing one of the best Australians to currently play A League football?

And instead debating how slight the improvement has been of one of the luckiest and most ordinary footballers to ever play Top Flight Domestic Football in this country.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

I think I will go to to his original topic and ask what does everyone think of Aaron Mooy

Very good!

I wonder if our record in facilitating transfers of our young players to o/s clubs is part of the reason he signed with us. I'm still surprised he's left Wanderers for us. And not simply for money as it seems he could've earnt more elsewhere. Anyway, he's got a nice reward now with the news of the takeover.

Great recruiting.

PH - when you're focusing on a 4-3-3 with advancing full backs/outside wingers, then the type and skill of the full backs is important.

edit: and yes i agree with the rest of your post re: evolution, but surely we can find better than JHoff

I would like to see him get forward a bit more admittedly. I just don't have much of a problem with him as a squad player. He has limitations but your minimum wage squad players at a-league standard will all have many of those. I'd still harbour ambitions of us signing someone better in that position. Not every signing we make is going to be a world beater. I have a gut feeling JVS might get the job next season and Hoff has obviously been a favourite of JVS' since day one.

I think Mooy is the best signing we've ever made. I'm serious. So many of our signings have been good players past their prime or players that other clubs have let go because while they are good they are nothing special. Mooy is simply a great player at a great age. 

^^ This ^^

Mooy is exactly the kind of player this club has always needed, someone who can help start a Winning Culture but importantly then stay on to help guide such a Culture.

He doesnt have a move to Europe in his vision like Eli and Good did or a tired body like Skoko and Fred did...

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

This is fast becoming another Hoffman thread

This...

Why are we not discussing our club signing one of the best Australians to currently play A League football?

And instead debating how slight the improvement has been of one of the luckiest and most ordinary footballers to ever play Top Flight Domestic Football in this country.

You are correct. This should be about the most positive signing I can remember for Heart, not about others who are retained.

If this is official like has been stated, it will be a fantastic start for us, To get a player like Mooy, not as an Australian Marquee is a big, big benefit for next season.

Bresc rumours about signing as Australian Marquee next year is rife but I am not sure if we will know of that before or after the World Cup. I'd imagine he could sign for us for the end of this year and for next year also. Would be a big coup for our club to have Bresc and Mooy in our side next year. 

Big things happening already which is great to see.

I think Mooy is the best signing we've ever made. I'm serious. So many of our signings have been good players past their prime or players that other clubs have let go because while they are good they are nothing special. Mooy is simply a great player at a great age. 

Was thinking the same thing. I reckon he is the best signing in our clubs short history. A proven young player that's up their with the best midfielder's in the league. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :)

Big call!

But.....I think its an excellent call.

We have had (and still have) some classy players at the tail end of their careers and a few younguns who may yet go on to greatness, but no one quite like Mooy who has proven himself and is only now coming into his prime.

Did they say Mooy as marquee?  That's the only disappointment.  Surely we'd want to keep it open for the new owners to see what they could get for that spot.

nah, other teams where offering him marquee money spots, but turned them down and he came to us as a normal player. 

Edited by thedukeofhearts

Couldn't be any happier with this signing.

A lot of us have been upset for a while about the club not showing ambition, well going out poaching one of the best young players in the league, hell one of the best Australian players in the league, is pretty damn ambitious!

Edited by King Malta

Is the contract signed?..Otherwise we are just speculating really

Nothing that I'm aware of, but Dave Davutovic seems to believe it's done and he's pretty reliable when it comes to the Heart (http://www.heraldsun...d-1226819016711).

Unlike a lot of papers over in Europe/The UK there isn't a lot of muck-racking when it comes to predicting player movement in the A-League. If they put their balls on the line regarding a transfer they're normally pretty certain.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...