Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

Very disappointing move in all honesty, plenty of top divisions in Europe that are better than the standard of the Championship, and I would have found it disappointing even if he moved to half of those better leagues.

And as a poster above said, It's not even so much the standard but the style, I've always found watching the Championship really frustrating because there are some quality players but they don't get a chance to utilise their talents properly because of the long ball obsession (the stereotype really is true for most the teams, they do just play long balls most the time)

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Code hopping hey. Presume he'll play in the centres.

(for ignorant Victorians Huddersfield is Rugby League heartland. God knows why you'd go there to play football. Good luck Aaron, you'll need it.)

Last season the football team's average home attendance (12,000+) was twice that of the RL team (Huddersfield Giants). Plenty of articles saying that attendances at Giants matches are "a concern."

FWIW the two clubs use the same stadium.

http://downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/100825/aaron-mooy

Huddersfield Town forum... some interesting opinions in there. (btw, change page buttons are at the top - tragic design!)

Seems like a lot of them are underestimating the A-League, while a lot of people in here are underestimating the Championship.

Either way I will be an interested onlooker. I don't think I've ever loved a footballer as much as I love Mooy. I hope he's moving onto big things.

5 hours ago, loriente said:

http://downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/100825/aaron-mooy

Huddersfield Town forum... some interesting opinions in there. (btw, change page buttons are at the top - tragic design!)

Seems like a lot of them are underestimating the A-League, while a lot of people in here are underestimating the Championship.

Either way I will be an interested onlooker. I don't think I've ever loved a footballer as much as I love Mooy. I hope he's moving onto big things.

Yeah, I was just on there and they were saying about the Huddersfield Town U18 team beating A-League teams. At least a few people are saying what he was better at set pieces than the England National Team.

Edited by Ace1234

11 minutes ago, Ace1234 said:

Yeah, I was just on there and they were saying about the Huddersfield Town U18 team beating A-League teams.

I didnt bother reading more than the first few posts, but to be fair considering what some aus fans have said about huddersfield and the championship, the retaliation seems pretty justified. I can see Mooy struggling in a system where the coaches instructions to him arent "work you magic".

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I didnt bother reading more than the first few posts, but to be fair considering what some aus fans have said about huddersfield and the championship, the retaliation seems pretty justified. I can see Mooy struggling in a system where the coaches instructions to him arent "work you magic".

I see what your saying. I presume he will struggle to how they will play for part of the season as they play 2-3 games a week. But I think he will get better and may be able to use his magic to fight for promotion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ace1234 said:

I see what your saying. I presume he will struggle to how they will play for part of the season as they play 2-3 games a week. But I think he will get better and may be able to use his magic to fight for promotion.

Absolutely. I think he will come good and the experience will be fantastic for him, but a lot of people on social media seem to think he should be walking straight into the starting 11 for man city

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

The championship is not a joke league but Huddersfield's hardly a stepping stone for starting for Man City. 

I thought he could have done better. Brugge for instance.

At least he's not in Scotland though.

As you said the Championship is a no joke league your correct as every team is wanting to cement a position in the EPL and are trying every game. Even the signings they get they are quality. I would've thought he would've went to Netherlands or Belgium but I also thought a one of Burnley or Middlesborough would've picked him up.

It's not that the Championship is a joke league, it's just that he could do better.

As for the Huddersfield fans, frankly the average A-League team is better than the average EPL u21 team so I very much doubt the Huddersfield u18s are beating anyone. 

I reckon CFG would just prefer Mooy to play in England and hence why he has made this move as opposed to going to a better league in continental Europe.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

The Championship is very fast and very direct.  Mooy couldn't have picked a league less compatible.

Has shades of Nicky Carle about it who spent his time there watching the ball fly over his head and being told he was shit.

I did a search of how many players could make the grade to the EPL from there and got hits mentioning a handful of players ....so not that many.

The gulf in ability and sophistication between the EPL and Championship is huge as evidenced by most promoted clubs fighting relegation or getting relegated a season or two after.  So even if Mooy does well, it means very little any way as to how well he could go in the top flight

Why Huddersfield?  Its a few km's away from City HQ, its not for a competing club and Guaranteed game time,, because City will be paying most of the 44,000/week pounds.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

The Championship is very fast and very direct.  Mooy couldn't have picked a league less compatible.

Has shades of Nicky Carle about it who spent his time there watching the ball fly over his head and being told he was shit.

I did a search of how many players could make the grade to the EPL from there and got hits mentioning a handful of players ....so not that many.

The gulf in ability and sophistication between the EPL and Championship is huge as evidenced by most promoted clubs fighting relegation or getting relegated a season or two after.  So even if Mooy does well, it means very little any way as to how well he could go in the top flight

Why Huddersfield?  Its a few km's away from City HQ, its not for a competing club and Guaranteed game time,, because City will be paying most of the 44,000/week pounds.

But the EPL is very fast and direct too tbh, which is why I think they wanted him playing in England rather than on the continent.

• Like 2

Mooy clearly wants to play football in England (he used to model himself on Beckham, collect EPL trading cards, and watch all EPL games as a youth player at Bolton [mentioned in 442's feature article on Mooy]), which is why he's ended up at Huddersfield. Also he's technically a Man City player, making over $4 million AUD a year, and if he plays well who knows Pep Guardiola could recall him to the Man City team for pre-season next year, and maybe even retain him in the team as a squaddie (the fact that it's a possibility at all that Mooy could play for Man City coached by Guardiola at all would be a positive, for Mooy or any footballer). So what's not to like about Mooy's move?

Yes English football (both the Championship and EPL) is fast and direct. And I reckon Mooy acknowledges the idea that he has to prove that he can play quality football in a pacey and up-and-down the pitch league like the Championship before he's a real chance to play regular football in the EPL. IMO the questioning and criticising of Mooy's pace is massively overblown, and I'm sure Mooy will show his quality in the Championship.

At the same time I reckon Mooy might well gain a little bit more pace and get a little bit more EPL-ready. Mooy is something of a self-improvement junkie, seemingly studying lots of football and always trying to improve. Also there used to be a few questions posed of Mooy's strength, so before last season Mooy did lots of weights and gym work and improved his strength. So I can see Mooy working to improve his pace, as well as the directness/speed of his football, at Championship side Huddersfield, to give himself an unassailable case for playing football in the EPL next season.

It also sounds like Mooy will play in his perfect position this season for Hudderfield, as a no 8 who can both attack and defend:

The one-time Bolton Wanderers player who also had a stint in Scotland with St Mirren will play as an anchor midfielder in David Wagner’s 4-2-3-1 system.

But of the two, he will be the one who pushes forward during attacking phases in the manner of Emyr Huws, who came on loan from Wigan Athletic last season. [source]

Huddersfield Town Head Coach David Wagner welcomed Aaron to the Club: 

“He is an offensive central midfield player who fills the position left by Emyr Huws’ departure at the end of the season" [source]

And Mooy being used in this position in a team that plays attacking football in the Championship was clearly crucial for him:

"The manager - he did a very good job of persuading me, because the way he wants to play, I think I’ll fit into that and that’s why I’m here." [source]

Overall, given Mooy's wish to play in the EPL, him playing in a league that prepares him for the EPL, playing in his preferred position and playing his preferred style of football, this was probably the best move Mooy could make. And I'm going to call it and say that Mooy becomes one of the standout players in the Championship this season, barring no unforeseeable events like injury.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, rass said:

That assist to Mauk in the first derby last season tells me he'll be ok with the whole long ball/fast and direct style...

Fully agree that Mooy has the passing range to play long balls.

To expand a little though, by "direct" I didn't only mean "long ball". I meant taking fewer touches, possessing the ball for less time (and hence being quicker to pass), generally passing less and being more forward or direct with passing (so passing forwards more, not side to side or backwards, which yes means sometimes going long more often). In other words, being more "efficient" with the ball, by creating chances more quickly and with fewer passes and time in possession.

I think there's something of a contrast to the direct style of English football when compared with Continental European football (an often exaggerated contrast, but still there's a basis to it), which Mooy is more suited to IMO. So it'll be interesting to see how Mooy goes with the English style of football. 

Tbh I think Mooy's style of play is well suited to both.

He is good on the break with counter type game plan, and also good in the rough and tumble of a possession type game. So either way if he is good enough he will be a target and distribute quality to the forwards.

• Like 1

http://www.htafc.com/news/article/2016-17/huddersfield-town-accrington-stanley-friendly-pre-season-3177762.aspx

Sounds like he performed fairly well. An 'almost' assist in the 54th min and a key pass in the lead up to the third goal.

Hard to read too much into it tbh. I would think a 4-1 result against a League 2 side is a fairly disappointing result for a Championship team aspiring to big things.

edit: 

Having watched this it's pretty clear this game was played at the intensity of your average Sunday League over 35s, so wouldn't read too much into the result at all.

Looks like Mooy was being played fairly deep, with Payne preferred at #10?

Edited by loriente

Mooy: I haven't reached my peak

After an A-League season that produced 11 goals and 20 assists for Melbourne City, recent Huddersfield Town loan signing and Socceroos midfielder Aaron Mooy believes he still hasn’t reached his peak.

The stats machine also created 104 chances during what became an epic 2015/16 season. It saw the skilful midfielder picked in FIFA’s team of the season where he was rated ’84’ – the highest ranked Australian EA Sports FIFA Ultimate Team player.

Such an impressive year fuelled speculation of the Socceroos next move and in the off-season the 25-year-old was signed by EPL heavyweights Manchester City and immediately loaned to the Terriers in the English Championship.

After a stint with Bolton Wanderers early in his career, Mooy gets another chance to prove he can make it in England and looking ahead the Australian national team midfielder says there’s more to come.

“I don’t want to stop improving,” he said.

“It’s what I’ve been doing my whole career and I want to keep improving and try and be the best player that I can be.”

Looking back over his record breaking season at Melbourne City, Mooy doesn’t point to his impressive stats as highlights but the fact he was playing regular football.

“Playing every week, it’s what every player wants to do,” he said. “I’m happy about just playing football it’s what I love doing.”

While Mooy’s past 12 months has earnt him accolades and a move to England, reflecting on his time with his former club, the midfield dynamo admitted the previous A-league campaign was challenging.

“We felt the pressure of the club,” he said.

“You could tell that everyone was expecting more than my first year there. The pressure was building up and that’s a good thing because it helps you improve and to win. The squad was better as well, we had a lot of talented players like Harry Novillo and Bruno Fornaroli, the better players you have around you the better they make you look.

Melbourne City were in contention for end of season honours but came up short and Mooy says failing at the last hurdle was the season’s low point.

“We were disappointed with the form at the end of the season,” he said. “I definitely thought we could have done better than we did. The last two games of the season we needed to win them and we just crumbled. Then we got another chance in the finals and we won the first game and then we played Adelaide and we didn’t play our football. 

“So that was the most disappointing thing we didn’t play the way we can play and going out that way was not very enjoyable.”

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/mooy-i-havent-reached-my-peak#Phm7RJDUi5sYPHZp.99

• Like 1

"Melbourne City were in contention for end of season honours but came up short and Mooy says failing at the last hurdle was the season’s low point.

“We were disappointed with the form at the end of the season,” he said. “I definitely thought we could have done better than we did. The last two games of the season we needed to win them and we just crumbled. Then we got another chance in the finals and we won the first game and then we played Adelaide and we didn’t play our football. 

“So that was the most disappointing thing we didn’t play the way we can play and going out that way was not very enjoyable.”

Aaron may not be the best interviewee there has ever been, but I have the utmost respect for a bloke who actually tells it like it is. We need a lot more of these home truths instead of the usual bland bullshit we get.

• Like 1

Huddersfield Town have secured Liverpool's goalkeeper Danny Ward (a capped Wales international, who played at Euro 2016), and are reportedly on the verge of signing Chelsea's star youth player Kasey Palmer, a highly rated 19 year old who made the bench for Chelsea's senior team last season (and has won all sorts of competitions with Chelsea's youth team).

Palmer will probably take up the no 10 position, and Mooy looks set to take up the no 8 position, alongside a purely defensive no 6 (defensive midifelder) in midfield.

Huddersfield is starting to look pretty strong for a Championship side, and it looks increasingly like Mooy made a pretty shrewd move signing with them. Also, Huddersfield play Liverpool next week in a friendly (The Shankly Trophy), so very soon Mooy could be playing some pretty high level English football.

3 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Mooy is going to dominate the Championship.

Thank goodness for beIN sports. Look forward to watching some Huddersfield matches with Mooy in the Championship.

The new LFC channel will show that match on Thursday morning you would think. Will be great to see how he goes.

• Like 1

Love it. Aaron Mooy is like my FIFA virtual pro character, seeing him start off in the little leagues, increase skill level, bigger and better headlines mentioning his name, eventually getting on the big stage and being acknowledged by Prem league clubs.

• Like 3