Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

2 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

For what it's worth I'm pretty certain that Man City would pay market value for Mooy. I was simply following another post's lead above by exploring what would/could happen if CFG attempted any accounting tricks with Mooy's transfer.

Indeed, I think there's a real possibility that Mooy's impending sale, and the consequent financial boon, is what has allowed Melbourne City to go about the expensive business of re-signing Fornaroli as a marquee, signing a big-name marquee, and negotiating a marquee deal for Tim Cahill all for next season (source).

If Man City sign Mooy, and Mooy goes on to have a successful career in Europe, then it would be a win-win-win for all parties, and it could be a model for other talented Australian footballers at Melbourne City that outgrow the A-League (which would in turn inspire more talented Australian footballers to sign with Melbourne City, and keep the whole virtuous cycle going).

This is the main reason for the CFG investment in Melbourne Murfy. It is to produce players throughout the world that may benfeit the group as a whole. The biggest hurdle in getting young players outside the EU to Manchester is gaining a work permit.

• Like 1

If Manchester City do sign him, this just plays into the words that a member of CFG stated a few months ago about having discussions with Mooy after the season to discuss potential options.

They would be silly to give up a chance to keep him on their books when there is upside in his value if he does well in Europe.

As I suggested about the club signing Arzani, this is the reason that CFG invested here. It makes good business sense if they can find good talent, sign them up and if all goes well it creates a global pathway that is mutually beneficial.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AntiScum said:

He stays in the CFG family and  could also be handy to bring him back home if things dont go to plan. It`s a massive win either way for Himself, Melb City and Man City.

He is touted as the best Aussie player playing in the a league. It actually makes sense for them to pick him up and see how he goes at a European league.

7 hours ago, Heart_fan said:

If Manchester City do sign him, this just plays into the words that a member of CFG stated a few months ago about having discussions with Mooy after the season to discuss potential options.

They would be silly to give up a chance to keep him on their books when there is upside in his value if he does well in Europe.

As I suggested about the club signing Arzani, this is the reason that CFG invested here. It makes good business sense if they can find good talent, sign them up and if all goes well it creates a global pathway that is mutually beneficial.

Absolutely. The benefit can work in both directions. Melbourne City is seen as a pathway for young players onto the global football stage thereby attracting talent. CFG gets a look at talent early and relatively cheaply. Mooy could become a good example of this in action. They key for us is to have a very good development network to unearth raw talent. Maybe that's the ideal position for JvS rather than fcuking up the senior team.

11 hours ago, Heart_fan said:

Then why trade Mauk?

He was developing into a player with a potential European move. I think people overstate CFG having some sort of master plan. They are no different from all the other big clubs in the world for every good decision they make 5 poor ones.

Fix the coaching situation before building a squad. Common sense inevitably isn't that common. 

• Like 2

Mauk's contract was going to expire at the end of the recent session, he'd already indicated that he wanted to leave for Europe, and as he would be out of contract it would be on a free transfer, the franchise would end up with nothing. Better to trade him for a player in a required position

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Mauk's contract was going to expire at the end of the recent session, he'd already indicated that he wanted to leave for Europe, and as he would be out of contract it would be on a free transfer, the franchise would end up with nothing. Better to trade him for a player in a required position

I guess we'll find out whether he is going or isn't. 

4 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Nope, Fifa mandates training compensation for players under a certain age leaving on a free 

Just now, Chris p said:

Nope, Fifa mandates training compensation for players under a certain age leaving on a free 

maybe so but the return to the franchise would be fairly small. A trade for Malik was a rational decision unless Mauk had been willing to sign a new contract. I'm assuming that he wasn't

35 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

maybe so but the return to the franchise would be fairly small. A trade for Malik was a rational decision unless Mauk had been willing to sign a new contract. I'm assuming that he wasn't

Based on the Adelaide match it looked to me as though he wasn't exactly the most popular player in the squad either. For our chances of silverware last season the exchange was the best deal we could get. Remember that it wasn't our first choice - the original proposal was Williams for Malik, but Adelaide were too smart to fall for that one.

38 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Regardless, Malik is a much better player to have at our club. Mauk's insidious attitude will cause problems for any club he plays for. Malik seem more planted and team oriented.

Mauk is over rated TBH. He is the only one that thinks he is ready for Europe, and singing your own praises is never a good quality to have.

We won out of that deal, but time will tell.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Based on the Adelaide match it looked to me as though he wasn't exactly the most popular player in the squad either. For our chances of silverware last season the exchange was the best deal we could get. Remember that it wasn't our first choice - the original proposal was Williams for Malik, but Adelaide were too smart to fall for that one.

?

Williams didn't want to go was the issue, wasn't it?

CFG is a global business with many interests.

I'd say Melbourne City trading Mauk for Malik is a clear reminder that one of CFG's main reasons for investing in Melbourne is simply to build a successful football club. The trade was a football decision: Mauk couldn't get game time in his preferred position (hence why he played on the wing for us before he was traded), was out of contract at the end of the season (and repeatedly said he wanted to try his luck in Europe), and Melb City needed to improve its defence (hence a steely midfielder/defender like Malik made perfect sense).

If CFG invested in Melbourne purely to develop youth, then the club simply wouldn't have traded young Mauk for Malik.

So while I agree that one of CFG/Man City's reasons for investing in Melbourne is to develop youth, another main reason is obviously to build a successful football club, in Soriano's words: "to make Melbourne Heart one of the most successful football clubs in Australia and throughout the region".

CFG can walk and chew gum at the same time. They want to make Melbourne City successful, and develop youth. And Mauk's sale was a reminder that they'll sometimes forgo developing youth to make Melbourne City a real successful football club.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

CFG is a global business with many interests.

I'd say Melbourne City trading Mauk for Malik is a clear reminder that one of CFG's main reasons for investing in Melbourne is simply to build a successful football club. The trade was a football decision: Mauk couldn't get game time in his preferred position (hence why he played on the wing for us before he was traded), was out of contract at the end of the season (and repeatedly said he wanted to try his luck in Europe), and Melb City needed to improve its defence (hence a steely midfielder/defender like Malik made perfect sense).

If CFG invested in Melbourne purely to develop youth, then the club simply wouldn't have traded young Mauk for Malik.

So while I agree that one of CFG/Man City's reasons for investing in Melbourne is to develop youth, another main reason is obviously to build a successful football club, in Soriano's words: "to make Melbourne Heart one of the most successful football clubs in Australia and throughout the region".

CFG can walk and chew gum at the same time. They want to make Melbourne City successful, and develop youth. And Mauk's sale was a reminder that they'll sometimes forgo developing youth to make Melbourne City a real successful football club.

Of course Murfy your objective view point on this issue, considering all the details, laid out in a reasonable argument can't really compete with the deranged and rabid ranting of the serial doomsday individuals in this forum. If you aren't getting the message I'll lay it out for you:

a. The club is always wrong ALWAYS

b. CFG wrecked the club and made it plastic. Clearly they have only done bad things (the colours)

So please take your sensible opinions else where and let the qualified corporate strategists and champions league winning mangers (on x-box) dictate to the internet via this forum all the fuck ups the club makes. This is no place for reason and common sense.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Murph if Mauk was out of contract and CFG wanted him then they could make him an offer anyway, as they would have had to do if he'd remained with Melbourne City. Nothing lost and a probable gain IMHO. If Mauk had wanted to re-sign then that would be different

I agree that Mauk was probably open to trying his luck elsewhere.

But it's also true that Mauk couldn't get game time in midfield. Maybe that explains why he was willing to try his luck somewhere else like Adelaide--easier to play and star in the Adelaide midfield than in the Melbourne City midfield alongside the likes of Mooy. So IMO both Mauk and Melb City probably decided that in was in their interests for Mauk to move on (in Melb City's case, I think it was a net gain trading Mauk for Malik)

Also on the topic of this thread's primary topic, Man City's official website has mentioned the reports of Mooy going to MCFC (in a media round-up thing they do):

13 June 2016

Manchester City still manage to keep the transfer rumour mill spinning today, despite the start of an international football tournament over the last few days.

[...]

while the Daily Star claim that City want to bring Australian midfielder Aaron Mooy to the club.

The 25-year-old is with sister club Melbourne City, but the Star say that Melbourne fans will be “furious” at the alleged interest.

“Socceroos fans do not want one of Australia’s shining lights to quit their national A-League.

“And they will be furious to see him move between clubs owned by the same man.

“Sheikh Mansour is best known for transforming Manchester City – but the billionaire’s global company City Football Group also own Melbourne City.

“To make matters worse, City will not even include the playmaker in their Premier League squad next season. Mooy, 25 is expected to be farmed out to Belgium for a year to toughen up.”

https://www.mcfc.co.uk/news/what-the-papers-say/2016/june/what-the-media-says-about-manchester-city-fc-monday-13-june/1464248280#

Edited by Murfy1

26 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

I agree that Mauk was probably open to trying his luck elsewhere.

But it's also true that Mauk couldn't get game time in midfield. Maybe that explains why he was willing to try his luck somewhere else like Adelaide--easier to play and star in the Adelaide midfield than in the Melbourne City midfield alongside the likes of Mooy. So IMO both Mauk and Melb City probably decided that in was in their interests for Mauk to move on (in Melb City's case, I think it was a net gain trading Mauk for Malik)

Also on the topic of this thread's primary topic, Man City's official website has mentioned the reports of Mooy going to MCFC (in a media round-up thing they do):

https://www.mcfc.co.uk/news/what-the-papers-say/2016/june/what-the-media-says-about-manchester-city-fc-monday-13-june/1464248280#

How the fuck do we reply to these dickheads who say we would be furious, nothing but good luck to mooysie.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Warm-up: Mooy ready to launch from Scotland to wherever

24 JUN 2016

By Greg Prichard

Whichever club Aaron Mooy is going to play for in Europe next season, he won’t have to go far to get there.

The Melbourne City star has already bid farewell to Australia as he prepares to make easily the most important move of his career.

Mooy was with his partner, Nicola, and their daughter, Skylar, in Scotland, spending time with Nicola’s family, in the lead up to Australia’s international against England late last month.

While he returned to Australia with the Socceroos for the two internationals against Greece earlier this month, Mooy then went back to Scotland to rejoin his family and consider the contract offers that he has been made.

After a holiday in Spain he was due back in Scotland late this week and it's anticipated a decision on his future is not far away – hopefully next week. 

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/06/24/warm-mooy-ready-launch-scotland-wherever

Melbourne City FC can confirm it has agreed the transfer of Aaron Mooy to City Football Group sister club Manchester City FC, with the midfielder signing a three-year deal with the English Premier League outfit.
Mooy, 25, joined Melbourne City in mid-2014 and has since developed into one of the most talented midfielders in Australia’s domestic competition.

In Mooy, Manchester City have secured a technically gifted and attack-minded player who has featured in 53 league matches across two seasons for Melbourne City, advancing to become a creative, committed and intuitive midfielder.

A two-time Player of the Year at Melbourne City, Mooy carried his exceptional form from his first season into the most recent A-League campaign, scoring 11 times and contributing 21 assists – a record in competition history.

Emerging as a rising star for the Australian national team, his move to the two-time Premier League Champion will provide access to world class support networks offered by City Football Group.

Brian Marwood, Managing Director, City Football Services, said; “Aaron is an extremely talented player who possesses the attributes we hope to foster and encourage within the City Football Group.

“With the unique model CFG provides, Aaron’s move to Manchester allows us to further expose him to a high standard of opportunities to ensure his professional growth.” 

As Melbourne City’s squad evolves, Australian defensive midfielder Luke Brattan will join on loan from Manchester City for the forthcoming season, marking Head Coach John van’t Schip’s fifth new signing ahead of the 2016/17 campaign.

Brattan joined Championship club Bolton Wanderers on loan before returning to Manchester City to train and progress in the world-class environment at the City Football Academy, Manchester.

The three-time Hyundai A-League Championship winner returns to Australia where he made 91 appearances for Brisbane Roar before signing for Manchester City in October 2015.

Brattan played a vital role for Roar as a talented holding midfielder across six A-League seasons and will link up with Melbourne City following the return to pre-season training next Monday, June 27.

Speaking of his move Brattan said, “ My experience in England has been a fantastic one and, thanks to my time at the City Football Academy, I have never felt more prepared for a season.  I’m delighted to be joining Melbourne City ahead of what I’m sure will be a really exciting season and I can’t wait to get started.”

Anthony Caceres has extended his loan deal with Melbourne City until the end of the 2016/17 season after joining the Club in January 2016, with the Manchester City loanee provided further opportunities to mature in Melbourne.

The midfielder made 11 appearances for the City during the 2015/16 season, scoring his first goal for the Club against Brisbane Roar in the Round 24 win at AAMI Park.

van’t Schip said Caceres and Brattan would add a dynamic element to City’s midfield structure, while he wished Mooy success in his latest career move.

“Aaron was a fantastic contributor to Melbourne City and we must first and foremost thank him for his involvement and impact during his time at the Club,” van’t Schip said.

“He is deserving of his new opportunity and we wish him all the best for the future.

“Luke will be a fantastic addition to our squad; he has long been recognised as an impressive young talent in Australia, and we are looking forward to what he can bring to our midfield, particularly after his experience overseas.

“Anthony joined us in January and has been an important member of the squad since his arrival. His performances during the final matches of the regular season have demonstrated his notable talent.

“We are delighted to have these two players on board as we begin our preparations for the new campaign.”

- See more at: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-fc-player-update/1n1zdb8j3i7f6146kxvdiez250#sthash.KF7NGcxr.dpuf
Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-fc-player-update/1n1zdb8j3i7f6146kxvdiez250#EqvgvVCLBOC104Vs.99

Interesting points to note:

• No transfer fee was mentioned - I know it would be CFG paying CFG in effect but selfishly what to Melbourne City get from this? Can we use these funds to pay for other marques/guest players etc?
  • No mention of playing for Man City 

Aaron’s move to Manchester allows us to further expose him to a high standard of opportunities to ensure his professional growth 

So likely to be loaned out. This could work out well for us. If his loan spell goes well > He could get game time with Man City. If it doiesn't go well ? He could get loaned back to us.

This all makes perfect sense, and how the CFG want to use the global stable of talent they have.

The overall aim of their global stance is to have pockets of development/players they can call on, gets them around the visa issues in the UK/Europe and saves any transfer fees whilst in the group. 

Let's face it - no 'real' money is going to be made by CFG selling an A-league player. They can however, loan him to a second tier club/league in europe and all going well, can cash him out there for much better financial reward. Worst case, he flops and can come back to Melbourne, again without a fee, and we have our gun back.

Or - he stays within the group. He can go to Japan or NYC - I am throwing something off the top of my head out there but say Pirlo (similar but different player) may want to play out the twilight of his career in different countries, and would be happy to come to Melbourne for a season, whilst Mooy going to NYC. 

The possibilities are endless - but I think the main thing is CFG selling A-league players for cash isnt the aim of this setup. There are much bigger things in play.

• Like 2

Will we be allocated what his transfer fee would have been worth?  So we could actually sign a decent marquee.

Will we be allocated what his transfer fee would have been worth?  So we could actually sign a decent marquee.