Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

Is he the best rb in the league?

Of course not but he isn't the worst

Anyway who gives a fuck, the cult that is Jason Hoffman lives on!!!

We're owned by the richest club in the world. There's no room for 'not quite the best' just because they've played 'ok' this season. Can you see Hoffman taking over the RB position at Brisbane? West Sydney? I'll support Hoffman resigning when he's a ) better than any other option and b ) has played at least two seasons consistently in one position successfully.

If true about velaphi, why? And what does Bray have to do to get a senior gig?

Just because we have rich owners doesn't mean we can just go and buy everyone. A) there is a salary cap B) there is only so many Australians that are good enough in the pool and c) to pry someone away from a better club you generally need to up the offer substantially, you can't do that in every position due to the salary cap so better to pick and choose the main positions etc midfield, striker

Brilliant news, though i am still waiting for the club's confirmation before calling it official.

Please we were interested in Paartalu - I thought he was available and was on my "wish list", but clearly not interested in coming back to Oz.

Shocked about Velaphi - nothing personal but with redders having a forgettable season he still can't get a look in, suggested to me we didn't think he was A league standard.

Surprised re-Hoffman.  Would have thought that was a re-signing that could have waited till the end of the season surely.  Is serviceable at RB but not a stand out. 

Hoffman has probably earnt a contract more than anyone else in the squad IMO. He has probably been our best performed player over the course of the season with maybe the exception of Kewell who may have overtaken him in the past fortnight.

From a bloke that was a dead set spud in all positions last year he has cemented his spot in the side at rb.

Of course not but he isn't the worst and to be frank, he was much better than walker in walkers two game earlier in the year.

He's a great choice at RB, apart from the fact that his tackles are often poorly timed, he is turned by opposing players much too often, he draws the most attacks down his side of the park every game, he doesn't push forward enough. Apart from that he's 'great'. :angry:

• Like 4

Hoffman has probably earnt a contract more than anyone else in the squad IMO. He has probably been our best performed player over the course of the season with maybe the exception of Kewell who may have overtaken him in the past fortnight.

From a bloke that was a dead set spud in all positions last year he has cemented his spot in the side at rb.

Of course not but he isn't the worst and to be frank, he was much better than walker in walkers two game earlier in the year.

He's a great choice at RB, apart from the fact that his tackles are often poorly timed, he is turned by opposing players much too often, he draws the most attacks down his side of the park every game, he doesn't push forward enough. Apart from that he's 'great'. :angry:

See I think a lot of that is incorrect. If he does something wrong I'll be first to say so, but if you look at the stats of the last few games it's been down Behich side that attacks have come most frequently, and Id say he averages about once maybe twice at most where he mistimes a tackle per game and he actually very few times gets turned by opposing players, and he has been pushing forward more and more under jvs. He still doesn't offer enough going forward, but he his efforts don't warrant such poor criticism I don't think.

• Like 2

Who ever said he was great??

I said he's serviceable and deserves a new contract. He certainly doesn't deserve some if the shit he's copped on here THIS season

Definitely serviceable and this year he has been in best form since he signed for heart.

However if you rank the whole squad in quality and potential further improvement he would score 5 out of 10

Next season we don't really want anyone who is average.

No longer should we accept it

It's the past

Perhaps, if it's true, they're trying to sign a number of players that are serviceable on minimum wage so there is enough money left under the cap to spend on better quality players. Every team has their Hoffmans and velaphis, it's how they're utilised within a successful team structure that counts. And I don't think we should be hitting then panicking button over two players out of a possible 23.

Edited by n i k o

brisbane and WS have both had 'average' players 

yes he's been serviceable this year (i.e hasn't fucked up much) but if he improves by having a better quality of players around him so he looks even better then fine he can have a new contract. but i think it's very premature.

Well, I suppose it's possible that Hoffman and Velaphi are just the utility players who fill the gaps, and that the other players we're going to have are already identified but not announced yet. That's the best case I can think of. But I'm more annoyed about Velaphi than Hoffman, because he really is a clown. Anyone who can't find a better keeper than Velaphi just isn't looking.

The worst case I can think of is that this is another Munn/Didulica fuck-up. And after two seasons of rubbish it's hard to look on the positive side.

My opinion of velaphis comes from seeing him during preseason where I thought he was poor, which he was during those games. But word is that he is a very good keeper, and my old man trained him years back and insists he is quite good as well so maybe these man city guys see something in him that we haven't.

brisbane and WS have both had 'average' players 

yes he's been serviceable this year (i.e hasn't fucked up much) but if he improves by having a better quality of players around him so he looks even better then fine he can have a new contract. but i think it's very premature.

Well, I suppose it's possible that Hoffman and Velaphi are just the utility players who fill the gaps, and that the other players we're going to have are already identified but not announced yet. That's the best case I can think of. But I'm more annoyed about Velaphi than Hoffman, because he really is a clown. Anyone who can't find a better keeper than Velaphi just isn't looking.

The worst case I can think of is that this is another Munn/Didulica fuck-up. And after two seasons of rubbish it's hard to look on the positive side.

nail on head.

It can't be too hard to find a young aussie keeper sitting on the bench somewhere. Even in our own backyard we've got Izzo (Adelaide), Acton (Brisbane) even Duncan (Perth) who would jump at the chance to come back and/or get some quality game time. all of these keepers are at least as good as Velaphi if not better and have room to improve whereas Velaphi is at the peak of his career now.

I also don't see why it should be too hard to find a slightly older keeper who is not in the top echelon (Moss, Necevski, Pasfield, etc) that would be better than Velaphi and at least provide Redders with some competition.

Why didn't we just promote two youth players over hoffman and velaphi? They would probably be on the same wages as hoffman and velaphi, maybe even cheaper, and at least we can see if there good or not.

That's a possibility, but a lot more thought needs to go into it than just promoting youth players in their place. It's all about getting a good balance. Perhaps they see Hoffman as a good backup RB and maybe they want to find a better young RB than we currently have playing in the youth league. It's all speculation anyway.

How many RBs win you the league? All you need is serviceable players there. Which Hoffman has been this year. If we are re-signing "serviceable" players in key spots in the spine of the team i.e. GK, CB, DM, AM, CF instead of genuine quality then i will be concerned. Anyone who expects us to sign improvements in every position of the field is delusional about how the salary cap will effect signing new players. Why would a settled player in another team who isn't of marquee quality change clubs for equal or lesser money? Just because we are owned by city doesn't mean we instantly get to choose whatever player we want. If there wasn't a cap then yes we probably could. This takeover will be an evolution rather than a revolution like you saw at city.

• Like 2

Brilliant news, though i am still waiting for the club's confirmation before calling it official.

Please we were interested in Paartalu - I thought he was available and was on my "wish list", but clearly not interested in coming back to Oz.

Shocked about Velaphi - nothing personal but with redders having a forgettable season he still can't get a look in, suggested to me we didn't think he was A league standard.

Surprised re-Hoffman.  Would have thought that was a re-signing that could have waited till the end of the season surely.  Is serviceable at RB but not a stand out. 

Due to the salary cap, some clubs negotiate with their lowest paid players first so they know what room they have to move when resigning  and recruiting higher paid players.

The salary cap is tiny. We need blokes who will play for the minimum wage. This is the reality of the A-League.

That whole report smacks of the current regime.

Doesn't it just.

Can't believe I'm reading that we are re-signing players who wouldn't even be considered by other clubs. Makes me feel physically sick.

If true, what a let-down.

It has to be that they will be cheap squadies.

How many RBs win you the league? All you need is serviceable players there. Which Hoffman has been this year. If we are re-signing "serviceable" players in key spots in the spine of the team i.e. GK, CB, DM, AM, CF instead of genuine quality then i will be concerned. Anyone who expects us to sign improvements in every position of the field is delusional about how the salary cap will effect signing new players. Why would a settled player in another team who isn't of marquee quality change clubs for equal or lesser money? Just because we are owned by city doesn't mean we instantly get to choose whatever player we want. If there wasn't a cap then yes we probably could. This takeover will be an evolution rather than a revolution like you saw at city.

Not many RB's will win you the league, but they sure can help you lose the league.

Hoffman? The curse continues.....

You reckon he has some voodoo curse on the club? Maybe, who knows lol. Seriously though, as i said earlier, the key is balance. If we have signed these two for next year we have countless other positions available to gets some seriously good performing players in. Who's to say we don't sign up a gun right back that's a starter in each game.

One, we don't even know if it these signings are true, two, these are just two players out of 23 that will probably be backups. You guys are stressing way too much.

Why are people saying Hoffman has been serviceable at RB? In many matches his side has been targeted.

We demand more than not getting skinned every attack. Our RB's are supposed to over lap and combine with our wingers, beat a man, get a ball in, maybe even cut inside like Marrone used to.

When has Hoffman ever done this?

A pointless signing of a pointless player.

• Like 1

Well said.