Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

The preferred option of Mooy, who has scored four goals in 38 appearances for Tony Popovic's side, is to head to a Heart team glowing with the lustre of Manchester City's midas touch.

But it's believed Heart officials have been instructed not to sanction the arrival or departure of any players before the end of the A-League season as its new owner takes stock of its $9 million acquisiiton.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1180542/Mooy-free-to-leave-Wanderers

Quite frankly, I would have thought that that would be just about the first instruction the new owners would issue.

They are in charge now, and have been for almost 14 days. They haven't got their new structures in place yet, and they certainly don't want to see their plans stuffed up by some poor decisions made locally.

The preferred option of Mooy, who has scored four goals in 38 appearances for Tony Popovic's side, is to head to a Heart team glowing with the lustre of Manchester City's midas touch.

But it's believed Heart officials have been instructed not to sanction the arrival or departure of any players before the end of the A-League season as its new owner takes stock of its $9 million acquisiiton.

Quite frankly, I would have thought that that would be just about the first instruction the new owners would issue.

They are in charge now, and have been for almost 14 days. They haven't got their new structures in place yet, and they certainly don't want to see their plans stuffed up by some poor decisions made locally.

It does seem from the outside looking in that Man City have demanded a complete freeze on football decisions until the end of the season. 

However, we also have released Mebrahtu and, I'm pretty sure, Macallister since Man City took over. So it may not be the case that there's a 'complete' freeze on the arrival and departure of players.

Another thing. Fox Sports News football correspondent Richard Bayliss has tweeted today:

Bit of chat that Aaron Mooy is now "free to leave" the Wanderers at season's end. I believe a deal with Melbourne Heart was done weeks ago.

So maybe Man City are okay with some football decisions being made now (they could well be guiding these decision as well), but it does look like the vast majority of decisions and changes will occur at the end of the season.

Edited by Murfy1

It does seem from the outside looking in that Man City have demanded a complete freeze on football decisions until the end of the season. 

However, we also have released Mebrahtu and, I'm pretty sure, Macallister since Man City took over. So it may not be the case that there's a 'complete' freeze on the arrival and departure of players.

Another thing. Fox Sports News football correspondent Richard Bayliss has tweeted today:

Bit of chat that Aaron Mooy is now "free to leave" the Wanderers at season's end. I believe a deal with Melbourne Heart was done weeks ago.

So maybe Man City are okay with some football decisions being made now (they could well be guiding these decision as well), but it does look like the vast majority of decisions and changes will occur at the end of the season.

So maybe the grandfather rule applies here - since Heart had started negotiations with Mooy prior to the Man City buyout, it doesn't fall into the "don't make any decisions before the end of the season" bucket.

So maybe the grandfather rule applies here - since Heart had started negotiations with Mooy prior to the Man City buyout, it doesn't fall into the "don't make any decisions before the end of the season" bucket.

I would think it much more likely that they have issued the instruction that no staff movements (of any sort) are to be made unless they are run past Soriano and his team first. (Except staff resignations, of course, which can't be stopped anyway).

My guess is therefore that Macallister and Golgol were let go because they weren't going to figure next season anyway, and that if Mooy has signed it was either completed before City came on the scene or has had their approval.

When you look at the table I would guess that pretty much anyone putting their hand up to leave will be approved!

I don't think Hoffman will be released at the end of the season I mean he was sighed up at the end of last after doing nothing so why would he be realesed after being a reasonable and improver player of the course of this season

Because completely different people in every sense will be making the decisions?

true but I couldn't Imagine him going, he's a handy player (whilst shit at times) to have in an a-league squad, although in saying that, I don't think he'll be our starting rb next season

Looking hopeful!

Would hate to miss out on Mooy because we were "waiting till the season ends".  A player of his class is likely to be snapped up by then.

The ruler is being run over every HAL player as we speak IMO. Planning for next season started the moment the agreement with FFA was signed to hand the license over to MCFC/Storm.
  • Like 1

Wanderers midfielder Aaron Mooy to join Melbourne Heart next season

David Davutovic 

February 5, 2014

MELBOURNE Heart has landed Aaron Mooy at the third attempt, with the ­Western Sydney midfielder to join the club next season.

The Herald Sun understands Mooy, 23, has chosen Heart ahead of a number of ­lucrative offers with clubs prepared to make him their Australian marquee player.

Though he effectively ­becomes the first signing of the Heart revolution, Mooy is understood to have made the decision in January, well ­before Manchester City's $11.25m takeover was announced.

Mooy, who remains an outside chance to make the World Cup squad for Brazil, will stay with the Wanderers until May when the club hopes to ­conclude its A-League finals and Asian Champions League campaigns.

It is believed the Wanderers offered him a contract extension last July but Mooy ­preferred Heart's more lucrative multi-year offer.

Full back Jason Hoffman and keeper Tando Velaphi are believed to be the first Heart players to sign extensions under the new owners, ­although Heart ­officials refused to comment.

Nine Heart players will be coming out of contract, led by Harry Kewell and marquee import Orlando ­Engelaar. David ­Williams, Patrick Gerhardt, Patrick Kisnorbo, 

Michael Mifsud, Sam Mitchinson, David Vrankovic and ­Jeremy Walker are the others.

Three foreign spots are potentially up for grabs with only Dutchman Rob Wielaert and Argentine Jonatan Germano contracted for next season.

The news comes off the back of the busiest January in A-League history with more than 30 players either arriving or ­leaving clubs.

While the Melbourne sides were among the quietest, the Herald Sun understands that young Victory midfielder Jimmy Jeggo has agreed to join Adelaide United next season.

Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC both tried to secure former Brisbane midfielder Erik Paartalu on loan for the rest of the season.

Heart had also inquired about Paartalu, 27, now with Chinese side Tianjin Teda.

"Three clubs were interested, two clubs straight away and a third beyond this season for rebuilding,'' Paartalu's manager David O'Keefe said.

"Erik was humbled by the interest but he has another two years at Tianjin and felt obliged to honour that. He played every game last season and scored five goals.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/wanderers-midfielder-aaron-mooy-to-join-melbourne-heart-next-season/story-fnk6pqhd-1226819016711

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Wanderers midfielder Aaron Mooy to join Melbourne Heart next season

David Davutovic 

February 5, 2014

MELBOURNE Heart has landed Aaron Mooy at the third attempt, with the ­Western Sydney midfielder to join the club next season.

The Herald Sun understands Mooy, 23, has chosen Heart ahead of a number of ­lucrative offers with clubs prepared to make him their Australian marquee player.

Though he effectively ­becomes the first signing of the Heart revolution, Mooy is understood to have made the decision in January, well ­before Manchester City's $11.25m takeover was announced.

Mooy, who remains an outside chance to make the World Cup squad for Brazil, will stay with the Wanderers until May when the club hopes to ­conclude its A-League finals and Asian Champions League campaigns.

It is believed the Wanderers offered him a contract extension last July but Mooy ­preferred Heart's more lucrative multi-year offer.

Full back Jason Hoffman and keeper Tando Velaphi are believed to be the first Heart players to sign extensions under the new owners, ­although Heart ­officials refused to comment.

Nine Heart players will be coming out of contract, led by Harry Kewell and marquee import Orlando ­Engelaar. David ­Williams, Patrick Gerhardt, Patrick Kisnorbo, 

Michael Mifsud, Sam Mitchinson, David Vrankovic and ­Jeremy Walker are the others.

Three foreign spots are potentially up for grabs with only Dutchman Rob Wielaert and Argentine Jonatan Germano contracted for next season.

The news comes off the back of the busiest January in A-League history with more than 30 players either arriving or ­leaving clubs.

While the Melbourne sides were among the quietest, the Herald Sun understands that young Victory midfielder Jimmy Jeggo has agreed to join Adelaide United next season.

Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC both tried to secure former Brisbane midfielder Erik Paartalu on loan for the rest of the season.

Heart had also inquired about Paartalu, 27, now with Chinese side Tianjin Teda.

"Three clubs were interested, two clubs straight away and a third beyond this season for rebuilding,'' Paartalu's manager David O'Keefe said.

"Erik was humbled by the interest but he has another two years at Tianjin and felt obliged to honour that. He played every game last season and scored five goals.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/wanderers-midfielder-aaron-mooy-to-join-melbourne-heart-next-season/story-fnk6pqhd-1226819016711

Keeeeeen

happy Germano is signed for next season. Annoyed about hoff

I'm not, more annoyed with Velaphi re-signing, especially when it means Redders will not be tested for the number one spot, again...

yeah that's annoying too, but if the club is deciding to persist with redmayne as first choice then as a second keeper i'm not fussed that Tando re-signs. No doubt Redmayne has made some bad mistakes, but maybe with a good pre-season with world class coaches at the Man City complex he will improve.

Very pleased that we have Mooy for next season.

As I've said before, I'm fine with Wielaert and Germano sticking around, as I believe they both can make valuable contributions (and hopefully Germano can become an Australian citizen at some point).

I guess Velaphi is a cheap backup GK, with A-League experience. Surprising nonetheless that he might be one of the first to re-sign (although I'm not too surprised, as I've pointed out in another thread there is precious few good Australian GKs available).

Hoffman re-signing is completely stunning. I've also noticed and said there's very few good Australian RBs out there, but this really doesn't make sense to me. Maybe Hoffman (reputedly) being our best player at training has conned the decision-makers. And I have no idea what Walker is doing at training, but for whatever reason he's behind Hoffman in the pecking order.

I gotta say as well, I'll be furious if Hoffman is re-signed and Kalmar is ditched. I'd always take a skillful player who maybe isn't performing at 100% over a donkey that's trying its hardest. I see no potential with Hoffman, and I think he is very ordinary at present (most goals come down his side).

All up, though, I really like the shape of our squad for next season, and believe Man City will inject it with enough star/quality players to be a winner next season.

i think kalmar still has a contract for next season murf. Davutovic didn't list him in the players who are coming off contract

Just wish there was a bit more clarity around who's coming and who's going, as I'm sure there will be surprises (indeed, the above article already hints at surprises).

Nonetheless, I expect a big turnover at the end of the season with regards to our playing roster. And I'm sure there will be at least a few disappointing releases (even if Man City more than replace them).

Edited by Murfy1

Kinda uncomfortable with Mooy taking the Aus marquee spot when that could be used on someone like Bresciano..

"The Herald Sun understands Mooy, 23, has chosen Heart ahead of a number of ­lucrative offers with [other] clubs prepared to make him their Australian marquee player."

Try again...

Edited by LR9
  • Like 2

Kinda uncomfortable with Mooy taking the Aus marquee spot when that could be used on someone like Bresciano..

"The Herald Sun understands Mooy, 23, has chosen Heart ahead of a number of ­lucrative offers with [other] clubs prepared to make him their Australian marquee player."

Try again...

I've been boozing all arvo so I may have read it wrong.

That's fudging awesome. Go local sports team.

• Like 1

Surely that's wrong. 

What happened to the whole "we won't touch anything till the end of the season"?

It's exactly what I would expect of the previous owners: resign the mediocre players and cut the key players. 

I like Hoffman, but he, Velaphi, Kalmar, Germano etc. haven't earnt new contracts yet. 

Hoffman has probably earnt a contract more than anyone else in the squad IMO. He has probably been our best performed player over the course of the season with maybe the exception of Kewell who may have overtaken him in the past fortnight.

From a bloke that was a dead set spud in all positions last year he has cemented his spot in the side at rb.

Is he the best rb in the league?

Of course not but he isn't the worst and to be frank, he was much better than walker in walkers two game earlier in the year.

Anyway who gives a fuck, the cult that is Jason Hoffman lives on!!!

• Like 1