Melbourne Football

"The lid" - keep it on next time

rizzo

As a AFL lover, and avid Cats man there is a little term we use called the lid.

SAB78026.jpg

After years of pain and disappointment, the Lid was vital and needed to be kept on for our own sake. The lid referred to players and supporters talking down their chances of winning the premiership no matter how well we were going.

Cmon MHFC use the lid, because with the form we are currently in, those past comments are looking damn stupid.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-heart-can-win-a-league-title-clint-bolton/story-e6frfg8x-1226226872146

MELBOURNE Heart goalkeeper Clint Bolton has declared the A-League's newest club a genuine title contender ahead of Friday night's derby against Victory.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-heart-can-win-a-league-title-clint-bolton/story-e6frfg8x-1226226872146

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/we-can-win-title-say-melbourne-heart-20120102-1pi1d.html

Propelled by a run of eight wins, Melbourne Heart coach John van `t Schip believes his side can win this year's A-League championship.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/we-can-win-title-say-melbourne-heart-20120102-1pi1d.html

Edited by Murfy1

Seriously I would prefer to read about how badly Victory are going in the papers than how good our culture is in the papers.

Lets do what worked so well in November and December, keep a lid on it, let Victory cop all the media barrage and just go out and give 100% and that's all fans should expect from their team. 100% commitment from all players increases our chances of winning. Lets hope that all the media hype is on the victory scum and just go out on Saturday night and ever week for that matter and just kill it, no need to talk up our championship hopes yet.

Who could blame us? we were playing awesome football and i think we went more than 5 games unbeaten at one stage.. With most of them being wins.. We were in the same position as CCM and playing like we could give this season a real shake.

i dont think its a fact of getting ahead of ourselfs - i think we've just had a massive drop..

He referred to supporters as well as staff Buddy and a quick look at the away games threads on this forum shows he has a valid point on this front.

Constant talk of Finals Away Trips ahead.

People were getting well ahead of themselves.

I think the club would agree they got ahead of themselves. It is an exciting position to be in, and as a new club we have to sell ourselves into a market that is hard to crack. But I think in the future they will be a bit more tame with their comments

Who could blame us? we were playing awesome football and i think we went more than 5 games unbeaten at one stage.. With most of them being wins.. We were in the same position as CCM and playing like we could give this season a real shake.

i dont think its a fact of getting ahead of ourselfs - i think we've just had a massive drop..

I'm not saying that anyone can be blamed, it is an exciting thing for us supporters, but from my experience it is best to keep a lid on hopes until the club gives us something to cheer about - a place in the grand final. I'm just saying we all went way too early with this finals talk, and now reality is going to hurt.

I'm just saying we all went way too early with this finals talk, and now reality is going to hurt.

Too much talk full stop. Too much crap on Facebook, various Twitter accounts, the web-site. We can all have our predictions, hopes, anticipations, but in the end it is the results that speak for themselves and determine where you finish in the competition. Our drop in form doesn't mean we're out of it, but from now on into the future let's see the focus on getting the best result we can in each game one-by-one.

Given we're a new club in a market with an established rival, there is a fine line between keeping a lid on our recent good form and letting the public know we were right up there.

We haven't fallen off the tightrope yet, but we're overbalancing just a little.

JW - great comment re: drop in form, not out of it yet.

To be fair, I can understand why the "lid went off"

We were playing well, very well, cruising through the competition, then as soon as we lose our number one CB and our best midfielder, the side dropped.

We wouldn't be saying this, or be in this situation if Madaschi was a permanent signing.