Melbourne Football

Week 18 - Melbourne v Visitards

Buddy Farah

The squad is looking thin, but the starting 11 on Saturday should still do ok if they're switched on and playing with confidence. The lack of senior leadership could be a problem if the younger players start feeling overawed or inhibited by the occasion, or if we're under pressure early. Bolton, Colosimo, Shroj and Terra need to provide the steadying leadership. But if our attitude is right, and we're up for the game, there's enough quality in the side to win.

I dont know what others think, but I've been underwhelmed by Thompson recently anyway. Since he scored the two goals in the last derby, I don't think he's offered much. And I get frustrated with his ambitious long balls. I'd still have him in the side if available, but his loss in itself isn't disastrous.

Colosimo for captain.

I dont know what others think, but I've been underwhelmed by Thompson recently anyway. Since he scored the two goals in the last derby, I don't think he's offered much. And I get frustrated with his ambitious long balls. I'd still have him in the side if available, but his loss in itself isn't disastrous.

You're braver than I am...I was afraid to say that for fear of being jumped on...strange, really, when he went back into midfield I thought he was one of the main reasons why we lifted as a team for that seven-game streak we had.

-----------------Bolton-------------------

Marrone-Hammil-Colosimo-Good

--------------Germano----------------

-------------Sarkies-Srhoj-------------

----Alex Terra - Babalj - Worm------

Bench: Mattei,Goodwin,Zahra,Williams,

Really pumped for this game, despite the injuries.

Edited by Che

Swap Williams with Worm & you're spot on.

You're braver than I am...I was afraid to say that for fear of being jumped on...strange, really, when he went back into midfield I thought he was one of the main reasons why we lifted as a team for that seven-game streak we had.

Yeah, earlier in the season, he was loving the move into midfield - creating chances & scoring. I just think his form has dried up recently - along with the team's consistency and form. Ironically, his best recent game was probably the CCM game where he was moved back to defence.

Edited by Sash

+1

although i though he was having a decent game against wellington until he got injured

The Heart youth team's left back Craig Goodwin, 20, is in the frame for a first-team call-up against Melbourne Victory.

The news coincides with confirmation on Monday that midfielder Matt Thompson will miss up to a month with a sprained knee.

Goodwin, a star with the youth team at left back and, occasionally, left wing, has been promoted to train with the senior squad in recent weeks when it became clear Behich would be called up by the Olyroos this month, along with Mate Dugandzic and Jason Hoffman....

surely you would have srhoj in the defensive midfield role and germano further upfield. germano possesses a bit of tactical nous and has good passing ability where as srhoj's passing isn't the best, but he is good at shielding the back for and good for those hard challenges which put a little fear into attackers which makes them a bit more weary on the ball.

Oh yeah forgot about that, Shorj in the holding position, with Germano along side Sarkies & of course Williams > Worm.

Dutchy what is your insistance on Williams?

He has not done something good all year...

Worm has out performed him all year - Which is sad but true.

Good is a CB not a wingback. Playing him at LB would be a huge mistake. Goodwin has probably been our best player in the youth this year, has been training with the seniors and is a LB. Surely he must start.

Colosimo must start.

Unsure on Srhoj's fitness but, if fit, i would be starting him, Reid is a hack, bench at best for him imo.

Terra as a false 9. Was good there in the first derby this season and babalj has been poor in the last few games.

I don't think maycon even made it on the youth bench last week. Put him on the plane back to Brazil tbh.

Ibrahim and Zahra have been dissapointing in the NYL. Anyone suggesting either of these players have not been watching NYL. Would rather any of Bosnjak, Walker or Andrijasevic

Marrone-Hammil-Colosimo-Goodwin

--------------Srhoj----------------

------Sarkies-----Germano---------

---Worm - Terra --- Williams------

Bench: Roganovic, Good, Reid/Bosnjak/Walker/Andrijasevic

Edited by Footballism

Dutchy what is your insistance on Williams?

He has not done something good all year...

Worm has out performed him all year - Which is sad but true.

Worm has played more games & we haven't given him a chance at a CF/W interchange, he's the sort of player who will give the fullbacks headaches especially Foschini.

surely you would have srhoj in the defensive midfield role and germano further upfield. germano possesses a bit of tactical nous and has good passing ability where as srhoj's passing isn't the best, but he is good at shielding the back for and good for those hard challenges which put a little fear into attackers which makes them a bit more weary on the ball.

Yeah you're probably right actually.

I don't understand the ticketing system? If last derby was a sell out, then shouldn't it have been 31,000? Why would they release a certain amount of tickets, sell out (supposedly), then release more?

So that people panic-buy the more expensive tickets/larger quantity of tickets.

If you know people with memberships you should be able to set up a membership swap system once you're inside the stadium..

I don't understand the ticketing system? If last derby was a sell out, then shouldn't it have been 31,000? Why would they release a certain amount of tickets, sell out (supposedly), then release more?

Doesn't quite work like that, especially when you have Memberships involved which is the biggest factor. Not every single member shows up, nor does every ticket purchased. There are also allocated tickets for staff/players/refs/corporate which are not always redeemed.

The record attendance at the MRS is 29,442 which was for the rugby, and that is due to it being ticketed only. (Also ftr seated capacity at MRS is actually 30,052)

e.g. Liverpool have a capacity of over 45.5k and sell out every game, yet usually have 500-1000 under full capacity every match. And over there season ticket holders usually sell their ticket for games they do not intend on going to.

Melbourne Heart squad:

1.Clint Bolton (GK), 2.Michael Marrone, 3.Brendan Hamill, 4.Simon Colosimo, 7.Rutger Worm, 8.Kristian Sarkies, 9.Maycon, 10.Wayne Srhoj, 11.Alex Terra, 13.Jonatan Germano, 15.David Williams, 18.Curtis Good, 19.Eli Babalj, 26.Paul Reid, 27.Craig Goodwin, 30.Sebastian Mattei (GK)

*one to be omitted*

My take:

----------------------------------------------------------------Eli Babalj----------------------------------------------------------------

Alex Terra-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jonathan Germano

---------------------------------------Kristian Sarkies--------------------Paul Reid------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------Wayne Shroj--------------------------------------------------------------

Craig Goodwin--------------------------Curtis Good-------------Simon Colosimo--------------------------Michael Marrone

------------------------------------------------------------Clint Bolton ©------------------------------------------------------------

Subs -

Sebastian Mattei (GK)

Brendan Hamill

Rutger Worm

David Williams

Omitted - Maycon

----------------------------------------------------------------Eli Babalj----------------------------------------------------------------

Alex Terra-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------David Williams

---------------------------------------Kristian Sarkies--------------------Jonathan Germano------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------Wayne Shroj--------------------------------------------------------------

Craig Goodwin--------------------------Curtis Good-------------Simon Colosimo--------------------------Michael Marrone

------------------------------------------------------------Clint Bolton ©------------------------------------------------------------

Subs -

Sebastian Mattei (GK)

Brendan Hamill

Rutger Worm

Paul Reid