Melbourne Football

The Jason Hoffman Appreciation thread

Ando

• 1 year later...
On 15/01/2018 at 3:21 PM, mus-28 said:

Never thought I'd see that day where he was regularly one of the best performers in a winning side. Credit to him for persevering and doing the hard yards.

1 hour ago, mus-28 said:

Still stealing a living as a footballer. I genuinely feel sorry for the Jets fans every week knowing this potato is lining up on the wing each week.

Just the way these two quotes have lined up in this thread is perfect. A lot can change in two years!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

250th game tonight.

Nice work for a guy who’s basically a journeyman. 

Hopefully he gets red carded though.

Journeyman? He has only played for Melbourne Heart/City and Newcastle Jets. Two clubs do not make him a journeyman.

And it is an indictment on the A-League that he did make it to 250 games.

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

You guys need to look up what "journeyman" means.

From Wikipedia:

In American English, a journeyman or journeywoman is an athlete who is technically competent but unable to excel.[1] The term is used elsewhere (such as in British and Australian contexts) to refer to a professional sportsman who plays for numerous clubs during his career.[2] In Britain, the term is also used derogatorily, along with mercenary, to refer to players who join various affluent clubs purely in search of higher contractual payouts rather than to further their career; usually clubs which they would likely never join otherwise.

So I guess the term applies to Hoffman as in not able to excel and not being one because he has only ever played for two clubs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2022 at 11:07 PM, jw1739 said:

You guys need to look up what "journeyman" means.

Well in my view you’re not a master and you’re not an apprentice. So you’ve been in the business quite a while but never made (and now will never make) mastery. Has nothing to do with how far you’ve travelled or how many clubs you’ve played for.

At 250 games Hoffman certainly isn’t an apprentice and football wise he’s never hit mastery.