Melbourne Football

The Jason Hoffman Appreciation thread

Ando

Hoffman, an inaugural Melbourne Heart FC player, has been recognised for an impressive 2013-14 campaign in which he has successfully converted his role from that of a midfielder to a consistent defensive presence.

The 25-year-old right-back will enter his fifth season with Heart after signing a two-year deal which will see him remain at the Club until the end of the 2015-16 Hyundai A-League season.

And then there's Hoffman saying his first 4 years at Heart were "great" (ok, maybe he's trying to be nice, but "great" is laying it on thick. As supporters will attest, there was nothing "great" about the club's first 4 seasons) and that he's "delighted" with his "progress".

I've pointed it out before that there's very slim pickings when it comes to Australian right-backs, but I'm still stunned and pretty mortified to think that Hoffman has been signed for 6 seasons all up by Melbourne Heart, and that Hoffman might be the club's intended long term right-back.

This 2 year extension could be redeemed if it was made clear that Hoffman is on minimum wages (or near minimum wages), and that Hoffman isn't a certainty to be the 1st choice RB going forward.

I'm still hopeful that Heart will get another RB, if only a player on loan from Man City for right-back. And that player will be Heart's 1st choice RB. IMO, after striker, both fullback positions are Heart's biggest weaknesses. So I'm really hoping that Hoffman doesn't have the RB spot nailed down, and I hope that the club gets a good LB, like Davidson, Lowry or Zullo (all of whom are coming out of contract).

At best Hoffman is a serviceable RB. And I don't think this 25 year old has any potential to really get better at RB. I was a centre-back and fullback in my playing days, and I just don't see any defensive solidity about Hoffman. His defensive instincts are bad, and he just looks out of place at RB.

Man City better start doing better. The initial signs of JVS, Williams, Hoffman and Velaphi don't instill confidence, and don't point the way to great success.

TBH, our season has been definitively over for all of two days. As much as I want the announcement of our international Marquee, our Australian Marquee, and for the long-term vision of the club to be unfurled in minute detail tomorrow, that is not going to happen. Of the movements that have already been confirmed, JVS and Williams re-signed, and now Hoffman and Tando, none are a real surprise or for that matter a concern. JVS is a solid coach who fits well with the Man-City Vision, and all three players are serviceable squad players. In the absence of any real information to the contrary all three can only really be seen as being retained as squad players.

But let's not get too sidetracked. This thread is all about appreciating the eternal squad player, and all-round average footballer, the one and only and ours, Jason Hoffman.

• Like 4

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY has he been re-signed???????????????????????  :angry:

Because he is everything Melbourne Heart stands for. No, Jason Hoffman is Melbourne Heart.

He's an embodiment of Melbourne Heart 1.0

I was anticipating an upgrade to 2.0

So far it doesn't look like there is any difference.

Hoff & Velaphi resigned , so 2 shite goalies next year & a shite defender ...not sure where this is going to be honest ???

Well if you are looking for a positive these 2 should mean there is more money left under the cap for the first choice XI.

Im more concerned about the goalkeeper position , doesnt matter who we have in defence ,Redmayne has the positioning sense of Stevie Wonder & Velaphi not got a game all season based on Redmaynes form says to me JVS doesnt rate Velaphi either,so unless we get a 3rd keeper i wouldnt think we would be top 2 next season at all , not being negative just realistic

Fair enough I think there are many right backs that we could find around the world that are better than Hoffman. In Australia? A lot less. But I have to say that the number of goals we have copped from the left wing is ridiculous. Number of goals Hoffman on the right wing is responsible for?? Anyone care to say....whilst I agree he isn't near the best going forward the hoff does not leak goals, defensively he has been rock solid. If you can prove me wrong and give me more than 1 instant he actually caused a goal I'd be amazed.

Murfy I think all these re-signings are down to JVS

Quite rightly the City guys are listening to the coach who knows the team and the league.

I can understand your disappointment as you know these guys way better than me

Hopefully like others have said they will be part of the squad and not first 11

I think this is all down to the restrictions of the salary cap

Murfy I think all these re-signings are down to JVS

Quite rightly the City guys are listening to the coach who knows the team and the league.

I can understand your disappointment as you know these guys way better than me

Hopefully like others have said they will be part of the squad and not first 11

I think this is all down to the restrictions of the salary cap

He's the Titus Bramble of the A-League

He wouldn't even stand out in the state leagues. He's actually the worst "professional" player I have ever seen hands down.

He actually does stand out when playing VPL/VPL opponents...

His one of those guys who cant handle the game being a half a second faster at the next level like a lot of champion Taller VFL players were like in there brief times playing  AFL.

The thing is that if he played VPL or NSWPL he could easily earn more than his Heart Contract through his Wages and the Day Job that one of the bigger clubs would find for him.

He would only have to train at most twice a week, could sink a fuck load more piss and score a lot of goals.

I really don't have a problem with Hoff being retained (assuming he is on min wage).

Good player to have in the squad because:

1. Haters gonna hate but he is still better than havingto rely on a random NYL player.

2. Can play in many positions, dat value for money covering like 10 positions for $50k, only $5k per position!

3. Very good professionalism and fitness.

This.

The Aaron Henneman of Heart for those of you who may remember the former Essendon defender who played between 2000 and 2006 when he was finally delisted. Sheedy preferred Henneman over Ted Richards who eventually left frustrated for the Swans and the rest as they say is history.

nailed it, except the delisting part because hoffman will be our first player to 500 games.

I really don't have a problem with Hoff being retained (assuming he is on min wage).

1. Haters gonna hate but he is still better than havingto rely on a random NYL player.

2. Can play in many positions, dat value for money covering like 10 positions for $50k, only $5k per position!

The difficult point for me, though, is why two years?

The Aaron Henneman of Heart for those of you who may remember the former Essendon defender who played between 2000 and 2006 when he was finally delisted. Sheedy preferred Henneman over Ted Richards who eventually left frustrated for the Swans and the rest as they say is history.

nailed it, except the delisting part because hoffman will be our first player to 500 games.

I also think it should be pointed out that such players lack of ability is far easier to cover in AFL where you rotate 22 players through the 18 on the field.

In Soccer you can only make 3 changes to the 11 on the field.

The difficult point for me, though, is why two years?

Why not? It's not like he is a risk, we know pretty well what we are getting, and there is probably more upside potential than downside (don't see him getting any worse, but given his performances at lower levels and in training, maybe he'll improve)