Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

Was joking mate. Centre back is probably the last position we need to look at on the field. Despite his positive spell with us previously.

I know you were. But there are some pro-Madaschi folk on here who think that the sun shines out of his proverbial, so put my two-bob's worth in first.

Not sure why everyone wants Migliorini in the team. A huge player turnover isn't what we need, we need a careful measured approach.

At the moment, I agree with both points. He seems like a nice fella, but Adelaide aside, Migliorini hasn't set the league on fire.

And I'm assuming most of us weren't writing the season off in September. There's some decent talent at the Heart. But it's a massive list of players who need to prove their worth to stay on for 2014/15. Finding some guys who believe in themselves would be an excellent start.

Yeah I am of the opinion that we do have a good group of players that can challenge towards the top but they are so low on confidence and have been so poorly managed that they are playing well below their best. Give JVS a few weeks before we find out who the real hacks are and get rid of the deadwood from there.

Agreed. It's simply too early to make a call on a lot of our players. If Engelaar comes back and is able to get 10 or so games into him, it's quite possible that Mifsud could look like a completely different player. And if Kewell is happy to stay on the minimum (which, to me, seems improbable), or even if he's not breaking the bank with a pretty standard veteran's salary, I'd be happy to keep him.

It's a tough position, because I'm not sure we can afford to just write the season off. The hit to our membership numbers if we finish below 15 points for the season could be catastrophic. We should be aiming for something like 20 points from the remaining games (5W, 5D/6W, 2D), to give our long-suffering members a bit of hope that the club is on the right track (or, perhaps more accurately, that it isn't on completely the wrong track).

At least the aimless long balls would have had a chance of being won. 

speaking of which: http://www.football365.com/news/21554/9093957/Erm..-Ibra-Says-He-d-Love-To-Play-For-Celtic

"I am happy here in Paris. I continue to make progress and get to stay an additional year.

"This is probably my final club in Europe, then we will see. I might go somewhere else where the pressure is not as big.

"We will see who are interested and what feels best for both me and the family. For the family it is not the sport, but the life off the pitch that matters the most."

At least the aimless long balls would have had a chance of being won.

speaking of which: http://www.football365.com/news/21554/9093957/Erm..-Ibra-Says-He-d-Love-To-Play-For-Celtic

"I am happy here in Paris. I continue to make progress and get to stay an additional year.

"This is probably my final club in Europe, then we will see. I might go somewhere else where the pressure is not as big.

"We will see who are interested and what feels best for both me and the family. For the family it is not the sport, but the life off the pitch that matters the most." Haha. Don't even tease.

Two players who I think could be targeted who are free agents as marquees are:

Joe Cole - watched him lately for the hammers and getting in good positions, scored a goal in the game I watched and looked pretty fit. Has immense talent but queries about his want to play in a league not in Europe. Guy has dancing feet and could ignite the crowd as an AM. Definitely an option and would be scouting now.

Christian Poulsen - A defensive midfielder who plays in Holland. Nightmares I know. But watched a few games and still has talent and shows a bit. JVS would know a lot about him. An option.

Keep:

Kewell - I know everyone else will be against it but probably one of our better players when going this year, worth it for minimum wage.

Mauk - only kid that is getting a game. Enough said.

Maybe:

Garrucio - if he can't get a game in this side, is whatever potential irrelevant?

Williams - still think he can be a game breaker

Redmayne - prob a decent no. 2 keeper

Kalmar - so much yes and so much no

Engelaar - wait and see

Hoffman - probably earnt a new contract, even if we don't really rate him...

Discard:

Everyone else - no case to answer IMO

Sack the board and replace with people having ambition for our club. Hopefully next week.

Search for new coach and appoint by end of season or earlier.

New coach has time to run ruler over existing players and culls as required. Blood bath inevitable.

New players brought in and team given 6 months to gel before Hal 10.

Off season leave cancelled. No time to waste.

Keep:

Kewell - I know everyone else will be against it but probably one of our better players when going this year, worth it for minimum wage.

Mauk - only kid that is getting a game. Enough said.

Maybe:

Garrucio - if he can't get a game in this side, is whatever potential irrelevant?

Williams - still think he can be a game breaker

Redmayne - prob a decent no. 2 keeper

Kalmar - so much yes and so much no

Engelaar - wait and see

Hoffman - probably earnt a new contract, even if we don't really rate him...

Discard:

Everyone else - no case to answer IMO

I'd also get rid of Kalmar - did you see his pathetic defending against Adrian Zahra who goaled?

How many chances with us does David Williams need? Good bye.

Redmayne is a very ordinary keeper. We should aim to do better for a number 2 keeper.