Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

Not sure why everyone wants Migliorini in the team. A huge player turnover isn't what we need, we need a careful measured approach.

sorry but this is a bit of an oxymoron. i agree that another massive turnover is probably not beneficial, but migs has been with the team all season - wouldn't cutting him add to the turnover?

Not sure why everyone wants Migliorini in the team. A huge player turnover isn't what we need, we need a careful measured approach.

sorry but this is a bit of an oxymoron. i agree that another massive turnover is probably not beneficial, but migs has been with the team all season - wouldn't cutting him add to the turnover?

They were both seperate points, I guess. Essentially I haven't seen anything from Migliorini which says that he should be taking up a VISA spot, he's certainly been no better the Murdocca and has no been relegated to the bench and I think we've looked better with Kalmar on the field (admitadelly within the JA system), the second point is, I don't think that the club can suddenly come up with 8-9 starting (mainly Australian) players before everyone moans about players being recycled and bit part players at their previous clubs. Its hard to strike a balance between these two, but to me, Migliorini isn't the one player I'd save if there was to be a serious cull.

As mentioned in another thread, we are planning on bringing home a young aussie midfielder who is based abroad.

Providing they are good enough, these are the type of players we should be targetting, now that the league is proven to open pathways into the National Team.

• Like 1

Something interesting will be JVS' approach to Hoffman and Walker. I suspect Hoffman will be given first crack, but if Walker is denied playing time, I can see him leaving. Can see ADU going after him to replace Elrich if we aren't careful. 

Walker isn't happy at the club at the moment at it is. He wasn't happy with Aloisi. He's in Tasmania at the moment, back at home (or at least was). If he can't get a regular starting role, I believe he'll leave the club.

As mentioned in another thread, we are planning on bringing home a young aussie midfielder who is based abroad.

Providing they are good enough, these are the type of players we should be targetting, now that the league is proven to open pathways into the National Team.

I have on good authority that this player is a former Australian youth international captain and is a regular starter for his overseas club...

his name...

Vincenzo Lia.

• Like 1

In Sharpy I trust.

If you find out who or even where this player Is from I'd love to know.

Clearly the rest of the season should be used to make players fight for their spots. The only guaranteed starter in the squad for next season that we have is Engelaar, so everyone else needs to show why they too deserve to play.

Players that I think due to their contract or ability should definitely be in around the first team squad next season are Redmayne, Ramsay, Murdocca, Williams,

Players that need to justify their spot in the squad are Wielaert, Gerhardt, Kewell, Mifsud, Mebrahtu, Hoffman, Kalmar, Dugandzic, Kisnorbo

Young players that need to be given an opportunity to show they are good enough Walker, Mitchinson, Vrankovic, Garrucio, Mauk, Retre, Bray, Kaya, Petreski, Archibald  

Players that should be cut are Macallister, Germano, Behich (we won't be able to get him back on loan), Velaphi, Migliorini

Need to tell the experienced centre backs that at most only two of them will be retained and that they will have to fight for their spot with Vrankovic and whoever else we have.

Need to try guys like Petreski, Mitchinson, Walker etc in both full back positions to see if they have the quality to replace Behich and Hoffman. We should be hoping that two of them prove they are good enough, and recruit another full back at least as good for competition.

Migliorini and Germano should be kept for depth only this season. Neither is good enough or injury free enough to justify their selection ahead of an Australian, and our VISA spots can be better spent. Give guys like Retre the chance.

Drop Velaphi, bench Bray. IIRC we signed Velaphi not because we didn't think Bray was good enough just that he wasn't yet ready to play multiple games in the event of a Redmayne injury. If we still rate him then put him on the bench. This way he gets to be in and around the first team squad and in the event Redmayne comes off Bray gets a chance to play for less than 90 minutes. Velaphi can still play in the event of a prolonged injury to Redmayne but the experience it gives Bray could be valuable.

Try playing players in their preferred positions. Give both Williams and Hoffman a shot up front. Maybe try Mitchinson as a CB or Gerhardt in defensive midfield.

Give Mauk an opportunity to play a creative midfield role, either with or instead of Kewell and Kalmar. This is probably Kewell's last season

so give someone like Mauk the opportunity to work with him and learn off him while he still can.

I'm not opposed to the likes of Kewell and Mifsud staying around another season, but they have to justify it. I think Kewell could be very handy as an off the bench impact player who isn't captain. I think there has been to much emphasis on him being the saviour this season when really he should be a bonus player, especially with the wage he is on.

Edited by The Aardvark

Clearly the rest of the season should be used to make players fight for their spots. The only guaranteed starter in the squad for next season that we have is Engelaar, so everyone else needs to show why they too deserve to play.

Players that I think due to their contract or ability should definitely be in around the first team squad next season are Redmayne, Ramsay, Murdocca, Williams,

Players that need to justify their spot in the squad are Wielaert, Gerhardt, Kewell, Mifsud, Mebrahtu, Hoffman, Kalmar, Dugandzic, Kisnorbo

Young players that need to be given an opportunity to show they are good enough Walker, Mitchinson, Vrankovic, Garrucio, Mauk, Retre, Bray, Kaya, Petreski, Archibald  

Players that should be cut are Macallister, Germano, Behich (we won't be able to get him back on loan), Velaphi, Migliorini

Need to tell the experienced centre backs that at most only two of them will be retained and that they will have to fight for their spot with Vrankovic and whoever else we have.

Need to try guys like Petreski, Mitchinson, Walker etc in both full back positions to see if they have the quality to replace Behich and Hoffman. We should be hoping that two of them prove they are good enough, and recruit another full back at least as good for competition.

Migliorini and Germano should be kept for depth only this season. Neither is good enough or injury free enough to justify their selection ahead of an Australian, and our VISA spots can be better spent. Give guys like Retre the chance.

Drop Velaphi, bench Bray. IIRC we signed Velaphi not because we didn't think Bray was good enough just that he wasn't yet ready to play multiple games in the event of a Redmayne injury. If we still rate him then put him on the bench. This way he gets to be in and around the first team squad and in the event Redmayne comes off Bray gets a chance to play for less than 90 minutes. Velaphi can still play in the event of a prolonged injury to Redmayne but the experience it gives Bray could be valuable.

Try playing players in their preferred positions. Give both Williams and Hoffman a shot up front. Maybe try Mitchinson as a CB or Gerhardt in defensive midfield.

Give Mauk an opportunity to play a creative midfield role, either with or instead of Kewell and Kalmar. This is probably Kewell's last season

so give someone like Mauk the opportunity to work with him and learn off him while he still can.

I'm not opposed to the likes of Kewell and Mifsud staying around another season, but they have to justify it. I think Kewell could be very handy as an off the bench impact player who isn't captain. I think there has been to much emphasis on him being the saviour this season when really he should be a bonus player, especially with the wage he is on.

I like the philosophy you've espoused here. If we're going to rebuild, steady the ship this season and probably next as well and then aim really high thereafter we must have a proper development plan that involves both the senior and youth squads. In reality we have some 40 players available to us, and that gives us the opportunity to do the sorts of things you're suggesting.

I would not re-sign David Williams I'm afraid. As one of our senior and seasoned players, rumoured to be on $175,000 plus, IMO he just does not justify retention based on what he delivers.

Haha it is not Vince Lia.

Under the age of 22 I #believe... :droy:

Travis Cooper playing in Netherlands is my uninformed guess.

Doesn't get a lot of game time. Plays for VVV-Venlo in the Jupiter League, used mostly as a fairly late substitute.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/travis-cooper/leistungsdaten/spieler_238521.html

I like the philosophy you've espoused here. If we're going to rebuild, steady the ship this season and probably next as well and then aim really high thereafter we must have a proper development plan that involves both the senior and youth squads. In reality we have some 40 players available to us, and that gives us the opportunity to do the sorts of things you're suggesting.

I would not re-sign David Williams I'm afraid. As one of our senior and seasoned players, rumoured to be on $175,000 plus, IMO he just does not justify retention based on what he delivers.

That is if he wants ro re-sign...

Haha it is not Vince Lia.

Under the age of 22 I #believe... :droy:

Travis Cooper playing in Netherlands is my uninformed guess.

Doesn't get a lot of game time. Plays for VVV-Venlo in the Jupiter League, used mostly as a fairly late substitute.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/travis-cooper/leistungsdaten/spieler_238521.html

Yep hence why he may want to come home to Australia and get some gametime. I'd imagine JVS would know of him or been able to get a scout report of him from his contacts over there.

Travis Cooper is a striker, just for the record.

How tall? (I feel I need to know given recent happenings)

1.84m (6 ft. 0 in.)

Actually, something that needs to be looked at in all future squads. Some of our boys are pretty small when compared with other A-League sides - it's usually fairly obvious when they line up before kick-off.

• Like 1

We are now 9 points adrift of 9th position so this season is almost certainly a write-off, major changes should be currently being processed throughout the club or else we're just going to make the exact same mistakes next season and the season beyond that.

In relation to on the field for the rest of the season, play the kids alongside hard-working and good role model senior players in the ilk of Murdocca, Kisnorbo and Wielaert.

Unless we can win games well above the frequency of teams above us it'll be difficult to finish anything other than 10th, maybe 9th if another team has a major collapse. It doesn't mean that we can't play well and win games we are just an awfully long way behind and even with JVS we aren't Bayern Munich

Edited by belaguttman

Yes, in all likelihood this season is a write-off. But I give credit to the administrators at Heart for saying that they are determined to make the most out of what remains of this season. It's unfortunately too late, but we shouldn't just stay in cruise control for the remainder of the season. We should be ambitious and be as successful as we can be for the remaining half season. The club pretty much owes that to its members.

Statements like Sidwell's and JVS' IMO show appropriate determination, despite our situation:

Sidwell: "We've still got a fair bit of fire in the belly. We intend to make finals and I know that sounds extreme to some people and some of our cynics will laugh at that but let me tell you we're as determined as ever"

"Melbourne Heart is a Club that means a lot to me and deserves to be challenging for the finals," van't Schip said via a statement.

"I firmly believe we can turn the current situation around and produce some good results. There is still a lot of time left this season to change things and I am confident that we have a squad that can do that.''

Appointing JVS is a good start. He'll probably cost a pretty penny, as Heart haven't signed him from a position of strength, but he's probably the most capable option given his previous experience to hit the ground running with our team. 

If we sign another good player or two I reckon we can win a good amount of our remaining games and ruffle a few feathers. And even if we don't make the finals (overvalued anyway IMO, the league season should be as or more important), then we might at least have a solid foundation to build on for next season.

Edited by Murfy1

15 games to go. If JvS can work a miracle we could go 5-5-5, meaning we'd finish on 24 points. Still 10th, but at least more respectable than now.

I agree with everyone above. Don't make stop-gap decisions, start the rebuilding process for the future now.

1. JvS and Nus to take us through the rest of the season.

2. Start a bona fide search for a new coach to be on board at the end of this season to deal with recruitment and the pre-season.

3. Identify under-performing and injury-prone members of the squad, and those who do not show any potential for growth, and prepare to release them. No exceptions.

4. Identify the players we want to bring to MHFC for next season and beyond. No-one over 30 unless they are real bums-on-seats players. No more so-so visa players. Try to bring home some good young Aussies who are not getting game time overseas.(Plenty more points I could add here.)

5. Cut out the crap in the admin. area and start to treat season-ticket holders as adults and with some respect. No more extra costs for GA members to attend the derbies, give country members back their derby entitlement, bring back the after-match functions, and so on. Stop hyping up failure, throw away hashtags, walk-out songs, goal songs, changes to the club song, etc. etc. until we see sustained success on the field, which is where it counts.

6. Return to the club's three basic values, right throughout the club's structure.

7. Organise a fair dinkum pre-season.

And lot's more. Happy New Year everyone. Rant over.

The truth has been spoken.

15 games to go. If JvS can work a miracle we could go 5-5-5, meaning we'd finish on 24 points. Still 10th, but at least more respectable than now.

I agree with everyone above. Don't make stop-gap decisions, start the rebuilding process for the future now.

1. JvS and Nus to take us through the rest of the season.

2. Start a bona fide search for a new coach to be on board at the end of this season to deal with recruitment and the pre-season.

3. Identify under-performing and injury-prone members of the squad, and those who do not show any potential for growth, and prepare to release them. No exceptions.

4. Identify the players we want to bring to MHFC for next season and beyond. No-one over 30 unless they are real bums-on-seats players. No more so-so visa players. Try to bring home some good young Aussies who are not getting game time overseas.(Plenty more points I could add here.)

5. Cut out the crap in the admin. area and start to treat season-ticket holders as adults and with some respect. No more extra costs for GA members to attend the derbies, give country members back their derby entitlement, bring back the after-match functions, and so on. Stop hyping up failure, throw away hashtags, walk-out songs, goal songs, changes to the club song, etc. etc. until we see sustained success on the field, which is where it counts.

6. Return to the club's three basic values, right throughout the club's structure.

7. Organise a fair dinkum pre-season.

And lot's more. Happy New Year everyone. Rant over.

Via, veritas, vita

I still think Heart should try to achieve some success with the remainder of this season, but I agree with many of the recommendations that have been made for next season.

I am still of the opinion that new investors will buyout Sidwell and co, and I expect the new owners will spend a good amount of money leading into next season. New owners regularly spend a fair bit and try to shake things up when they take over a football club, and I expect Campbell and co. will do that with Heart. Hopefully, a thorough search for a quality long-term coach is one of the first things they do.

I still think Heart should try to achieve some success with the remainder of this season, but I agree with many of the recommendations that have been made for next season.

I am still of the opinion that new investors will buyout Sidwell and co, and I expect the new owners will spend a good amount of money leading into next season. New owners regularly spend a fair bit and try to shake things up when they take over a football club, and I expect Campbell and co. will do that with Heart. Hopefully, a thorough search for a quality long-term coach is one of the first things they do.

I hope that the "new owners" issue will be sorted as quickly as possible, one way or the other. Otherwise what new owners want for the future could well collide with whatever the present administration does over the next few months, leading to a further period of upheaval within the club.

The league table shows how disastrous the JA era has been for us, and we don't need another period like it.

Can he play upfront?

Not the fastest bloke in the world.

He's now 31, and will be 32 in July. There's no doubt that we had a really good spell while he was with us, but the question is whether we want to start loading up the squad again with 30+-year-olds. I don't resile from repeating that we need a plan for the squad going forward, not just sign players because they become available.