Melbourne Football

Melbourne City's New HQ and Training Facility

Dylan

There's a few options for Heart, since the A-League season is played during the NPL offseason we could maybe partner up with  Port Melbourne or Richmond Soccer Clubs which are both very central.

If however we want even better facilities, Northcote City is a good option at the Darebin International Sports Centre; there's also a couple of synthetic pitches which is good because the grass on the main stadium is usually quite average.

IMO it's a matter of the club sitting down and working out just exactly what it 1) needs and 2) wants further down the track.

If it's only ever going to be a training/rehab/gymnasium/admin etc. then it doesn't really matter too much. However, if there is a future intention to play matches there - even youth matches - then IMO the facility should be reasonable central, easily accessible by public transport and have adequate car-parking, and it will need facilities for spectators.

Glenferrie has always been my choice. But I rather fancy the NIMBY scenario would arise immediately. Parking would be an issue for those for whom the Metro train service is not suitable.

Overall it staggers me that there seem to be parks and sports facilities, both private and public, everywhere I go - most of them seemingly grossly underused - and yet we can't find a home.

Edited by jw1739

If we're going to play the 'Russian oil tycoon' scenario, then why not aim for Brunswick Street oval? Perfect location, the heritage stand could be incorporated into a rectangular stadium design, and there's plenty of room for admin facilities. 

• Like 2

I drove past La Trobe a little while ago and went in to see if anything was actually happening. And they're certainly re-laying the playing fields where we used to train, and putting in drainage pipes - I think the lack of drainage was the main problem previously.

So when that's completed, there's no reason we can't train there. But I don't know why the club hasn't said anything about our future beyond this season. Maybe the rest of the redevelopment hasn't been approved? There was some announcement a while ago about sport at La Trobe, but I don't think there was any detail about upgraded facilities. Maybe potential change of ownership is affecting plans? Who knows.

I agree that enabling more fans to go and watch training, and having players and supporters engage with each other is important. Epping is so remote that hardly anyone goes there to watch training. La Trobe may not be convenient for some, but still, there would usually be a handful of people there to watch. People could have a chat to players afterwards, get shirts signed or whatever, parents would bring kids. It was a much better atmosphere. This year the players have very little contact with supporters. Especially compared to the first couple of years when they had after match functions for members as well. It's a shame because that contact between players and supporters was one of the benefits of supporting a small club. By the way, I met someone recently who lives in Epping and emailed the club about training so she could take her son. She didn't get a reply.

The choice of training facilities is another one of those El Cheapo options that this board has made to the detriment of the growth and exposure of our club. If we are the Heart of Melbourne why are we set up at the arse end of the world? Sorry but La Trobe and Epping makes us pretty much invisible to the public and fooken hard to get to for supporters to see and mingle with players. I've mentioned Glenferrie Rd oval before as well as other options closer to the city must be explored. The Tards at AAMI are seen by tens of thousands of rail commuters and travelling public every day thay train there.

• Like 2

Totally agree with earlier comments. Epping is definitely too remote and Latrobe is not much better. Glenferrie is very close to the centre of Melbourne, so it (or another venue nearby eg the Camberwell Sports Ground) would be the ideal. At Glenferrie there is also good transport and shopping and ample opportunity for administration etc to included close. The NIMBY problem could always be countered by offering parking close by and running a bus service to the ground. I think the ground is owned by the council who would no doubt welcome an offer of extra income.

As a sweetener the ground could also be developed to include some community facilities to complement the new swimming pool complex the council have just built next door.

All this talk of training location really does make one question those who try to say we should represent one region. If people are complaining they have to travel 1 and a half hours to go to a training session, it just shows how isolating ourselves to one area limits the market.

Those who still seem to complain we are not based in Casey really haven't looked at the issues behind such a move. The exposure would be limited, as its even further from the City, and matches still need to be played at AAMI Park which would reduce the local element. The way that Melbourne is set out really limits any such moves.

I must say though that Glenferrie would be a great venue if we could get some grants to improve the facilities. Theres a few options around, but all require decent levels of investment.

Edited by Heart_fan

Why Glenferrie? Why not Punt Road? Just like Dundee/United and Liverpool and Everton are just across the park from one another, Punt Road would give us high exposure and put us right under the nose of the other Melbourne side.

Plus parking/transport is no problem with the MCG and Richmond station right there.

Edited by Peter

Why Glenferrie? Why not Punt Road? Just like Dundee/United and Liverpool and Everton are just across the park from one another, Punt Road would give us high exposure and put us right under the nose of the other Melbourne side.

Plus parking/transport is no problem with the MCG and Richmond station right there.

Do you mean Richmond's ground? That would handle training OK. I think the reference to Glenferrie was the hope that we could one day have our own home ground there, which we couldn't at Richmond.

Edited by jw1739

Ummm cause Richmond Tigers are in full use of that facility.

Glenferrie or Victoria Park or whatever isn't occupied we should use to have our branding on it all. Somewhere near or around the CBD of Melbourne.

It needs to be done.

Something needs to be done.

I was suggesting sharing with Richmond AFL. Punt Road has higher exposure than Glenferrie and I didn't realise people were looking for a ground for matches beyond NYL.

Of course Richmond are using the facilities there. The old grandstand is now offices and if we are going to pump money into facilities, then why not in a central location? Is there no room to increase the use of Punt Road Oval?

Even though all this is hypothetical, I don't see Glenferrie being redeveloped for anything beyond a training base with some scope for low attendance matches due to parking etc.There are a number of people soccer training on there regularly and so if the ground is open to others it may have local support. There is definitely great potential in that site.

Again, all this is hypothetical. I spoke to someone at the club a few weeks ago and mentioned that the Travelling Willburys look was not good for the club and that members were unsure about the future direction and location of Melbourne Heart at Latrobe or elsewhere. He told me that there would be communication shortly as to what is happening. Obviously we are still waiting.

Is the original La Trobe Uni / heart mega Sporting precinct dead and buried?

The Federal grant money that was around for that type of project has all been frozen with the change in government, which is not necessarily the worst thing given La Trobe / Heart's project didn't make the cut for $$$.

Not sure how good the ties are b/w the club and the current Government, although a few politiicians follow the club on Twitter ... and I was told that Bill Shorten was at the Phoenix game the other night.

Anyway, I really hope if new owners come in, they make a statement of intent by setting the club up with top notch facilities, both training and administrative.  I have been into the La Trobe offices and they certainly have a feeling of non-permanency. 

Why not Junction Oval. Cricket Australia is about to abandon it so it'll be unused. Good public transport (trams and light rail)

• Like 1

What I could see is us moving to share Princess Park with Storm and Carlton...

Storm don't train anymore at Princess Park/Optus Oval or whatever else they call it these days.

They train on the grounds next to AAMI Park in between it and Gosch's paddock. Storm use the ground which is right next to the stadium car park. 

Melbourne FC use Gosch's paddock now that Collingwood FC have the redeveloped Olympic Park ground.

Victory train in the area between Gosch's paddock and Storm.

There are plenty of options (for those of us spending others money) closer to town and more accessible to supporters than Latrobe or Epping.

I would like to see us move into a central base for training and administration. As I have said in the past, it would be good for members to be able to utilise club rooms, gym, pools etc. as part of their membership. This would help create the Heart community that the club keeps spruiking.

• Like 2

There are plenty of options (for those of us spending others money) closer to town and more accessible to supporters than Latrobe or Epping.

I would like to see us move into a central base for training and administration. As I have said in the past, it would be good for members to be able to utilise club rooms, gym, pools etc. as part of their membership. This would help create the Heart community that the club keeps spruiking.

...and maybe get a decent cup of coffee and a bite while we're there. Club needs to look outwards and not inwards all the time.

• Like 1

What I could see is us moving to share Princess Park with Storm and Carlton...

Storm don't train anymore at Princess Park/Optus Oval or whatever else they call it these days.

They train on the grounds next to AAMI Park in between it and Gosch's paddock. Storm use the ground which is right next to the stadium car park. 

Melbourne FC use Gosch's paddock now that Collingwood FC have the redeveloped Olympic Park ground.

Victory train in the area between Gosch's paddock and Storm.

From Wikipedia:

The stadium [AAMI Park] includes training facilities and office accommodation for Melbourne Storm, Melbourne Victory, Melbourne Football Club, the Victorian Rugby Union, the Victorian Olympic Council, Olympic Park Sports Medicine Centre (OPSMC), Imaging@Olympic Park Radiology and Tennis Victoria. The stadium will be used by the Melbourne Demons as their administration headquarters. 

This is one reason why we can't get a foothold at AAMI Park - all the accommodation is taken. You would have thought that Tennis Victoria could have found a home across the road at the Tennis Centre - it's big enough - and that the Dees could have found somewhere else too.

We are frozen out.

Melbourne Park is going through a redevelopment and I don't just mean the new National Tennis Centre (Indoor courts across AAMI Park), increasing the capacity of and adding a retractable roof to Margaret Court Arena and a new façade with shops between Show Court 3 and Margaret Court Arena (all phase 1). In Phase 2 they're going to build offices right between Rod Laver and the old indoor courts - Tennis Australia might be able to move in there once they're complete, which I don't think this will be for a few more years...

• 4 months later...

Anyone speak Dutch?

I'm not exactly sure what's happening with our training facilities, but this Dutch interview with JVS (source) which seemingly occurred within the past 24 hours might shed some light on it:

Van 't Schip impressed: "At City everything is so professionally run"

31 May 2014

The Dutchman John van 't Schip  since January sways again the scepter at the Australian Melbourne Heart, but then did not think he was going to maintain close links with Manchester City. However, now that is the case, because the club of Melbourne and Vincent Kompany have a partnership.

City is for 80% owner of Melbourne, that last season as last ended in the Australian competition. Van 't Schip is happy with it. "There is something nice to happen. Thanks to Manchester City are the conditions to grow into the leading club in the A-League and to play a role in the Asian Champions League. Yes, being part of this project I find very beautiful. It was for me even the reason to stay in Melbourne. "

"In 2012 (after having worked for two years at Melbourne, ed.) I decided to stop here because there was no more growth. Then the club owners were fine people, but it proved not possible to invest in facilities and structure. If you only need six months whining for two new doeltjes [seemingly Dutch for “small goals” – Murphy] for on the training pitch... ", Van 't Schip, which continued after his departure from Guadalajara Mexico trained.

The Dutchman, previously as a player plays for Ajax and Genoa, noted the input of City directly. "Now we have not yet reached a City or have moved to another training complex. The first team and the youth get new playing fields, there is space for a larger technical staff formation, investments, "said the coach, who was visiting recently at City for a work consultation, further.

"It was very interesting to see how things are at such a big club there. At City is all things professionally led. Together with John Didulica (football operations manager at Melbourne Heart, ed.) I have had conversations with the most important people in all levels. " The collaboration will be especially in the field of knowledge exchange. "Manchester City wants his name, the brand City, globalize, longer range. Now in Australia with Melbourne Heart they have a partner that that. "

"Melbourne can in turn make use of the knowledge and know-how of City. Mainly the exchange of knowledge and information. And maybe we can take over some players on loan. I can best imagine some guys eligible. Of course not the greatest talents, but, for example, someone who after a prolonged injury soccer should be fun again, "said Van 't Schip to Football International.

(translated with Bing Translator and Google Translate)

With I understand from that article:

- JVS moved on in 2012, due to a real lack of investment from Sidwell and co., and an overall lack of growth (an inability to take the "next step" to reach the "next level", he's said at times). Apparently he had to complain for 6 months just to get 2 new small goals for training, which all chimes with what I heard about the previous owners going back on promises made to JVS, leaving him with a very cheap club with no growth that wasn't the club he agreed to coach at the outset.

- The plan is to become the leading club in Australia, and play in the A-League

- It seems the club has not yet moved to a new training facility (or perhaps he means the club hasn't redeveloped the present training facility). Also the first team and the youth team will get, or have got, new playing fields/training pitches

- There will be more investment in technical staff

- With City in Manchester, JVS had conversations with people at all levels

- Knowledge and information exchange will be very important

- An interesting tidbit at the end, where I think JVS says some City players, although not the "greatest talents", could possible come to Heart (maybe after an injury) to make football fun again

Hopefully this interview is the start of the end of the media gag that has enveloped the club in recent months, and we get a greater sense soon about how the club will be transformed.

Edited by Murfy1

Which City players or indeed players at large are coming back from injury I wonder??

I should say that I'm really not sure if that final passage is talking about City players (which the internet translations seemed to suggest) or players in general. It could conceivably be either. I think the specific type of player he's talking about are players like Joe Cole, who said a few weeks ago:

I'm being used here and there and sparingly. But at my age and where I am in my career I want to enjoy my football. I love competing and just I want to play.

The article might be saying that the first team and the youth team now have new playing fields. Has anything been done to the pitches at La Trobe? Have those pitches been redone or relaid or anything?

If so, going off the article, the team might be training at La Trobe until there's a whole new training base that the team can use (that's a guess based on the article, though, and Epping might still be the training base for now).

Edited by Murfy1

Which City players or indeed players at large are coming back from injury I wonder??

I should say that I'm really not sure if that final passage is talking about City players (which the internet translations seemed to suggest) or players in general. It could conceivably be either. I think the specific type of player he's talking about are players like Joe Cole, who said a few weeks ago:

I'm being used here and there and sparingly. But at my age and where I am in my career I want to enjoy my football. I love competing and just I want to play.

The article might be saying that the first team and the youth team now have new playing fields. Has anything been done to the pitches at La Trobe? Have those pitches been redone or relaid or anything?

If so, going off the article, the team might be training at La Trobe until there's a whole new training base that the team can use (that's a guess based on the article, though, and Epping might still be the training base for now).

I remember a few articles saying that they are going to upgrade Latrobe for the time being (and immediatly), putting in a couple of new pitches etc and this was around or march I think. No idea how long it takes to lay a pitch but I doubt it would be quick?

Edited by Dylan