Melbourne Football

Melbourne City's New HQ and Training Facility

Dylan

Gerard Nus took training.

Mass & Rams thanked us for showing up they really appreciated it.

Mass said a win would really boost confidence (obvs)

When training amongst themselves they seemed fine, intense and moving well.

Orlando is only a couple of weeks away, apart from being an absolute monster Mass said he's excited to having in the team he's a fantastic player...

Emu's trial was largely unsuccessful.

Also when I asked if the style of play will change under JVS Murdocca mentioned that he is a fan of keeping the ball on the pitch which was music to his ears... Good riddance long balls!

JVS dished up more of the same long ball stuff in his 2nd year.

Yes, he started out with a ball on the deck style but that seemed to change very quickly once he realised it wasnt getting results.

Will he try something different this year as the pressure will be off to some extent? Who knows.

If they are training tomorrow im heading there. Anyone else?

I had booked in today to go in but have been called into work today and tomorrow unfortunately.

Good work though to the blokes who went :clap:

id say friday would be the day to go with JVS back that day

Foxe is gone, mate.

Lol, good point.

Well, someone else was barking directions.

Looked like Foxe, sounded like Foxe, was not Foxe.

Not sure who it was.

According to my mail, it was ticker

It was Joe Palatsides.

I've been to training occasionally in the past, and this was the first session I've ever been to where, I'm pretty sure, we had a full squad able to train. I was surprised to see Engelaar do more than running, and Germano was also on lighter training, but training nonetheless.

Was Tom Reddin sacked as our fitness guy? He's been replaced and suddenly we're almost injury free!

Edited by Sash

Foxe is gone, mate.

Lol, good point.

Not sure who it was.

It was Joe Palatsides.

I've been to training occasionally in the past, and this was the first session I've ever been to where, I'm pretty sure, we had a full squad able to train. I was surprised to see Engelaar do more than running, and Germano was also on lighter training, but training nonetheless.

Was Tom Reddin sacked as our fitness guy? He's been replaced and suddenly we're almost injury free!

I think he left because the wages the club pay are awful apparently. 

here is the new guy. https://twitter.com/simoripamonti

what was Engelaar's movement and touch like?

Foxe is gone, mate.

Lol, good point.

Not sure who it was.

It was Joe Palatsides.

Sash, Reddin left the club on or just before 17th November. To my knowledge there was no announcement whatsoever from the club, so presumably he left suddenly.

Well I'm no expert on these things, but given our injury management record, maybe it's for the better that he's been replaced.

Engelaar generally moved fairly slowly but freely enough and didn't get involved in anything very physical. So still some time I think, but he's on his way.

Orlando is only a couple of weeks away, apart from being an absolute monster Mass said he's excited to having in the team he's a fantastic player...

Also when I asked if the style of play will change under JVS Murdocca mentioned that he is a fan of keeping the ball on the pitch which was music to his ears... Good riddance long balls!

Yes, he started out with a ball on the deck style but that seemed to change very quickly once he realised it wasnt getting results.

Will he try something different this year as the pressure will be off to some extent? Who knows.

1st season = Sibon.

2nd season = Maycon.

Wait and see how it goes this time.

Will he try something different this year as the pressure will be off to some extent? Who knows. Just relayed what Massimo said but yes hopefully he's seen how ineffective the long ball tactic has been for us and will stick to keeping it on the ground...

He also said the club can't go out and state a youth policy then do the opposite... Mentioned Retre etc getting games but with the already poor results JA didn't want to play an even younger squad to be even worse.... He agreed when I said what have we got to lose? Give the young guys a go. So they do welcome the younge guys coming in... I wonder which way JVS will go but in saying that we do have a few players to come back from injury which will go straight into the squad...

Edited by heartrate
  • Like 1

Mauk, Vrankovic, Garrucio,Retre and Walker I expect to get significant more gametime.

Imagine that. Back to our roots.

I'd actually enjoy watching us play.

Me too. It's funny But something simple like implementing our youngsters now with the season gone, would make a significant difference to me and I'd imagine others.

Having some Socceroos playing in our side would be different too. Garrucio and Vrankovic are highly credentialed. Play them. Make them future senior Socceroos by developing them in our elite competition.

To me it summed up what has gone wrong with our club when we get news two of our players had made Socceroo teams and haven't played a second with us, the bottom team in the competition.

If Mauk wasn't stranded on our bench he'd have made it too. He's the most talented of the lot.

Victory play guys like Connor Pain. Watching him and our guys closely, is there much difference in talent between him and Mauk and Garrucio? In my opinion, no. I think both of our boys have more natural talent.

• Like 2

I was thinking about this the other day.. Whilst Latrobe may have a good isolated facilities, what to you think about the club training closer to AAMI park, much more in public view of the fans.

I feel that the players aren't subjected to the watchful eyes of fans to be connected to them. There is a definite separation (except for on Twitter) between fans and players.

Fine, have your occasional closed session, but the players need to feel more 'at home' at AAMI park.

• Like 2

I was thinking about this the other day.. Whilst Latrobe may have a good isolated facilities, what to you think about the club training closer to AAMI park, much more in public view of the fans.

I feel that the players aren't subjected to the watchful eyes of fans to be connected to them. There is a definite separation (except for on Twitter) between fans and players.

Fine, have your occasional closed session, but the players need to feel more 'at home' at AAMI park.

The sessions aren't closed.

And there aren't many suitable venues in or near the city.

Epping Stadium is very well taken care of, and I imagine is cheap for the club to hire while LaTrobe gets sorted out.

Epping Stadium is very well taken care of, and I imagine is cheap for the club to hire while LaTrobe gets sorted out.

I think you'll find that the issue with AAMI Park is that it is expensive, and, IIRC, we don't actually have much of a foothold there. The other tenants got in before we were born and took the available rooms etc. I might be wrong on this, and would welcome further information.

Epping. It took me an hour and a half to get there from the eastern suburbs. Training up there (or Latrobe for that matter) limits the areas players can choose to live and isolates the club from supporters.

I am in favour of the club moving somewhere more central. With the number of clubs and grounds around Melbourne, and seeing we play over the standard off season, surely there are better options that we can help develop.

I think you'll find that the issue with AAMI Park is that it is expensive, and, IIRC, we don't actually have much of a foothold there. The other tenants got in before we were born and took the available rooms etc. I might be wrong on this, and would welcome further information.

Doesn't have to be IN aami park. MV seem to do well in Gosch's paddock.

Perhaps we get a special deal with new buyers.who knows.

Victory is based there. Although it will be interesting if we are bought out by the owners of the storm who are also based at aami park so really it would make sense for us to take over from Victory and kick them out on their asses :up: But I am sure they have signed a long long lease. 

I know they aren't closed but occasionally they have closed ones leading up to big games.

Epping. It took me an hour and a half to get there from the eastern suburbs. Training up there (or Latrobe for that matter) limits the areas players can choose to live and isolates the club from supporters.

I am in favour of the club moving somewhere more central. With the number of clubs and grounds around Melbourne, and seeing we play over the standard off season, surely there are better options that we can help develop.

Takes me an hour both ways, even at the best of times. I've been three times for pre-season games, but never again. Virtually zero facilities for spectators. Last time had to ask Scott Munn to get the bloody toilets opened - people were pissing in the bushes they couldn't hold it any longer.

Once the NYL team moved from Northcote I had to give up going to their games. At John Cain you could buy a passable coffee at half-time and there was food if you wanted it.

Little things like this are important for fans.

Old news item: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Heart%20embark%20on%20exciting%20partnership/75820

'The football component of the Heart College of Football at John Fawkner College will be based on the world renowned Cryuff Football Academy at Barcelona FC in Spain and Ajax FC in the Netherlands and delivered in a newly-constructed multimillion dollar, state of the art John Fawkner College Global Learning Centre and Football Facility.'

Depending on what it consists of, why wouldn't we use the 'newly-constructed multimillion dollar, state of the art John Fawkner College Global Learning Centre and Football Facility' as our future base?

Regarding training facilities and completely out of left field: The new Essendon training facilities at Tullamarine. Not sure how receptive they would be but you never know if you don't ask. The EFC are running short of cash (I doubt that Little would stump up the millions to keep that club afloat) so they may be receptive. Alternatively the old EFC training facilities at Windy Hill may be up for grabs - not state of the art but still reasonable and accessible. I think Windy Hill is actually owned by the local council all that would be required would be the marking of the pitch. This assuming that the club wasn't already working towards some form of permanent training facility already.

Regarding training facilities and completely out of left field: The new Essendon training facilities at Tullamarine. Not sure how receptive they would be but you never know if you don't ask. The EFC are running short of cash (I doubt that Little would stump up the millions to keep that club afloat) so they may be receptive. Alternatively the old EFC training facilities at Windy Hill may be up for grabs - not state of the art but still reasonable and accessible. I think Windy Hill is actually owned by the local council all that would be required would be the marking of the pitch. This assuming that the club wasn't already working towards some form of permanent training facility already.

The club considered it a while ago, the council approached them but because of the cricket pitch in the oval and something else I can't rember they decided against

I don't know why we don't continue to train at Lakeside, good central location, good pitch, SMFC will never make it into the HAL so will not be a rival

I remember reading somewhere the reason they dont was because they want it to be as close to the offices and the 'base' as they can and if they were going to find a permanent training ground they want it all to be together.

I don't know why we don't continue to train at Lakeside, good central location, good pitch, SMFC will never make it into the HAL so will not be a rival

Bela, just guessing, but I would have thought that it is all part of getting ourselves a visible "home" that includes administration and training facilities in one location that cannot be identified with another senior football club. For all sorts of reasons, but certainly from a sponsorship point of view.

Edit: Dylan beat me to it!

Edited by jw1739