Melbourne Football

Josh Kennedy

Kiro Kompiro

In the clubs defence, who else is a realistic option that's better??

Any current socceroos are either young and /or plying their trade overseas (jedinak, leckie, oar, kruse) at higher levels and would be mad to come back or are already contracted as aus marquees (Milligan, spiranovic)

Cahill was the other option and I'm sure that avenue has been explored, but I would guess that he is happy at NYC and is under contract.

IMO Kennedy is a good signing but I certainly take on board the injury concerns etc.

I just don't think there is a better option available at this point in time and it's better to use the spot than not at all

What this situation highlights is that the Australian marquee spot needs to be abandoned.

Outside Cahill, there was and is no such thing left.

Let the clubs buy 2 designated players wherever the hell they might be from,

• Like 1

Any current socceroos are either young and /or plying their trade overseas (jedinak, leckie, oar, kruse) at higher levels and would be mad to come back or are already contracted as aus marquees (Milligan, spiranovic)

Cahill was the other option and I'm sure that avenue has been explored, but I would guess that he is happy at NYC and is under contract.

IMO Kennedy is a good signing but I certainly take on board the injury concerns etc.

I just don't think there is a better option available at this point in time and it's better to use the spot than not at all

What this situation highlights is that the Australian marquee spot needs to be abandoned.

Yeh agree. I think the MLS has three designated players then a salary cap. That seems ideal to me given the place of the league at the minute.

In saying that, I don't see the point of scrapping it if they don't replace it with at least another marquee spot.

Edited by bt50

Fair points. After all, it's not our money, and we have no idea what he's signed for - he doesn't have to be on bucketloads. Just think of it as a way of signing someone outside the cap who adds to our strike "force", which hardly exists at the present time.

I love that fact that as supporters we are not getting sucked in anymore by these high profile signings.. Whilst it's nice to look at kennedys past, it's the future I'm concerned with.. Injury prone and a doggy back..

Assuming all at stars align and we can get Villa, Kennedy, Koren, Duff, and Mooy on the park all at the same time that would be awesome to see..

Welcome Josh.. I hope you can produce what this club needs ....... GOALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is our 36 scouters doing that Soriano said we had?

Kennedy is an ok signing. Not much else around for an Aussie Marquee. We need all the help up front we can get.

What I want to see is our global network doing something. Anything.

Duff, Koren, Paartalu, Mooy, Marino?

Yeh agree. I think the MLS has three designated players then a salary cap. That seems ideal to me given the place of the league at the minute.

In saying that, I don't see the point of scrapping it if they don't replace it with at least another marquee spot.

i find the notion of the MLS' three designated players an interesting prospective for the A League.  

particularly since the visa spots are being tightened up; local players will still have plenty of squad spaces and value under the cap and it allows the better Australian players to ply their trade overseas in higher quality leagues and where the money is better there given the A League is still well and truly in need of a smaller salary cap.  dont get me wrong, i would love to see them do well and stay / get paid what they deserve here, i just dont think the a league is in the position yet for all clubs to afford to do so (FFA funded or not)

the risk that has always been placed on Aussie marquees has been the over bearing expectations fans place on returning Socceroos; think Emerton, Carle and Aloisi at Sydney, Culina at Gold Coast, Sterjovski at Perth, Kewell at the tards.

these guys all went through spells where expectation often outweighed performance (Culina perhaps excluded).

IMO allowing clubs (or at least those who could afford it) to spend money on the best available (foreign or not) would significantly boost the a league (at least from a marketing perspective).  clubs could always place the Australian players in these marquee spots too - just depends on what each club wants to do with its money.  and before people start about how only the football side counts, David Villa gave us more exposure than we could have dreamed off.  the problem was never just with the way he played, more how shit the rest of the team has been.

the only thing i'll say in the defense of the Aussie marquee spot is that for the most part, returning Socceroos have always seemed to get the better of the marquee exposure than the 'foreign' marquees that have been signed.  i think that largely comes down to casual fans knowing the Aussie marquees because of their exploits.  

so either way, it seems like it might be a bit of a tough cookie to crack; how do you get enough money into each and every club so that good players are signed?  it's easy for clubs like ours where the owners are cashed up / have a global network, but other clubs (the tards and Sydney included) dont necessarily have the resources to blow a couple of million up front.  remember, even ADP was a risk (if a calculated risk maybe) for them.  Sydney really had to bank on massive merchandising to get their money back.

Edited by mattyh001

Kennedy is an ok signing. Not much else around for an Aussie Marquee. We need all the help up front we can get.

Mooy was a Heart signing.

Marino? You can't be serious.

Everyone knows Duff and Koren. Paartalu is a known Aussie signing.

These scouters were meant to bring in the visa types from leagues around South America and Europe to add something to us.

They have not produced one signing as yet. We still have a Visa spot available.

• Like 3

These scouters were meant to bring in the visa types from leagues around South America and Europe to add something to us.

It's time we outsourced our player scouting to the Tards. They seem to get it done right plus get a coach that has the gumption to put a rocket up the players like Popa, Arnie or Muscrat are we might eventually get on the right path. We should have cleaned out our football department when CFG took over. I don't want sexy football I want winning football.

• Like 1

i dont see how scouting is purely about unearthing new / previously unrecognized players.  part of their role has to be finding players (known or otherwise) who are capable players and available for transfer in some way shape or form.  hence, they must be able to work with possible transfer targets in terms of peaking the player's interest in coming to City.

Paartalu might be an "Aussie" signing, but you'd think the club and the scouts would have to do a bit of work to get him across given how bad we were last season.

as for Duff and Koren might be known, but by the same token as Paartalu, they both have to be sold on the new image and direction by the club.  the fact the club has "scouted out" the situation in such that two recent EPL players have come out should be a positive for what they have done.

as for the last visa spot, i'm just glad they havent rushed it Mifsud style

Diasgree. All our quota of players should have been filled prior to round 1. Do we have that good of a list to be missing a marquee and visa spot. I think its a grosse miscalculation to think you can top up during the season.

My only thought that this line of thinking is valid if the management had no real intention on being competitive for this season and sign key players on multi year deals so that by season 2 we have a truly impressive squad.

Question then is Duff is on a one year deal and from all statements he has made hes hell bent on having a good year.

Smells of Heart incompetence all over it.

• Like 1

Diasgree. All our quota of players should have been filled prior to round 1. Do we have that good of a list to be missing a marquee and visa spot. I think its a grosse miscalculation to think you can top up during the season.

My only thought that this line of thinking is valid if the management had no real intention on being competitive for this season and sign key players on multi year deals so that by season 2 we have a truly impressive squad.

Question then is Duff is on a one year deal and from all statements he has made hes hell bent on having a good year.

Exactly.

totally agree that more should have been done to get the players prior to the start of the season, but that wasnt really what i getting at / talking towards - i was talking more about the need for the scouting to find the best fit (regardless of how much the player in question is a brand name).

something that goes to your point on the incompetence (and has been covered by others and myself elsewhere) is the loss of Villa after only four games.  i get the feeling Kennedy was originally sounded out to replace Villa in January.  the fact that Villa has basically walked clearly states / shows whoever signed him didnt give enough credence to covering the what ifs in terms of early departure / injury / depth / etc.

FWIW i've said it in other threads that i think one of the visa spots has to be used on a fullback (and in our case the left back position).  its something that has pissed me off the club just hasnt got it right. the fact we still have a visa spot makes me wonder if the club has even realised the need for scouting overseas fullbacks

Edited by mattyh001

I recall a remark by JvS after the Carrington visit in which, in reference to the role of the scouts, he commented "They now have a better idea of the sort of player we want." That was about the time that he made another, slightly testy, remark to the effect that "he was the head coach and he would make the decisions."

So overall IMO the role of the scouts in terms of Melbourne City is going to be about finding the visa players and overseas-based Australians who meet our prescriptions. Whether or not they would have any role in scouting Australian players inside Australia is a moot point.

IMO what we are seeing in terms of scouting is pretty much what we are seeing with respect to other aspects of the takeover. We're in the early stages of a process rather than about to witness cataclysmic change.

I expect all of Wielaert, Germano and Duff to be leaving at the end of the present season, so I guess round about the end of the European season we might expect to see something and pass further judgement on the efficacy of the CFG scouting network.

• Like 1

this season Jesus..................Next season Bresc.

Any chance of a possibility?

Similar to a previous post, can we pay him 1.5 years wages now, and then get Bresc next year?

i'd think that any deal they make they will probably front load the wages so that, as you say, we can get him under the cap so that Bresc or Cahill can come

mind you, the way they run this club at times makes you wonder if they would be onto this

So we've addressed our striker problem, hoffmans had a great start to the season so i don't think we will buy a rb, so all we need is to buy a lb with visa, get koren back from injury and we will play finals.

We need ticker back, things just haven't been the same without him.

• Like 1

Well it's been reported Kennedy won't play until February and it wouldn't surprise me if Koren can't play until late December -calf injuries are notoriously tricky to recover from.

This was if he was selected for socceroos and he won't be Still essentially true, as the a league is basically suspended in January, so no one will play for us.

We should terminate all contracts as punishment.

Well it's been reported Kennedy won't play until February and it wouldn't surprise me if Koren can't play until late December -calf injuries are notoriously tricky to recover from.

This was if he was selected for socceroos and he won't be Still essentially true, as the a league is basically suspended in January, so no one will play for us.

We should terminate all contracts as punishment.

I think the squad is going to the UAE for a mini camp in Jan