Melbourne Football

Josh Kennedy

Kiro Kompiro

I know I should be excited by this, but I just can't seem to get fired up.

Maybe the general malaise of the season so far, maybe great expectations failing again, but more cynically I don't think he alone will make a huge difference. Until the inherent weaknesses in the squad are addressed down back and with injuries / culture, the lustre of the shiny new recruit doesn't shine so brightly. So used to it failing on recent history.

Fuck I hope things turn around soon.

• Like 2

I fear that it will be that far behind by the time he comes that not even jesus could save us.

Great banner potential though:

Imagesddddyhtdf.jpg

Could have his face photoshopped on Jesus and chuck some of the other players on there?

It is a big risk at 32, we need someone up front with pace and who can create things, excite the crowds. The way Kennedy plays, the crosses will have to be perfect if we want to see his signature headers hit the back of the net. Edited by interstatefan

We sign as an Australian marquee a 32 year old with a dodgy back who hasn't played since August.

Victory sign as their Australian marquee their captain, Mark Milligan, a Socceroo regular who is in his 20s, at the peak of his powers and who was chased by EPL team Crystal Palace.

Western Sydney Wanderers sign as their Australian marquee Matthew Spiranovic, a Socceroo who was our best defender at the World Cup and who is in his 20s.

Draw your own conclusions.

Edited by Parrot
  • Like 1

We sign as an Australian marquee a 32 year old with a dodgy back who hasn't played since August.

Victory sign as their Australian marquee their captain, Mark Milligan, a Socceroo regular who is in his 20s, at the peak of his powers and who was chased by EPL team Crystal Palace.

Western Sydney Wanderers sign as their Australian marquee Matthew Spiranovic, a Socceroo who was our best defender at the World Cup and who is in his 20s.

Draw your own conclusions.

Kennedy has had better Socceroo careers than the both of them put together

I apologise in advance if this has already been answered but, are we allowed to top end marquee players' contracts?

E.g. Koren and Kennedy, our 2 marquee players, both signed for 2 years... is there anything saying that we cant pay them both this season say $1m each this season as marquee players and then like $300k next year as non-marquee players... or is there a rule against top loading contracts?/ Does anyone have any inside word on this idea, as I would be shocked if both Koren and Kennedy were going to be our marquee players for next season given that they will be a year older

So has the club signed these 2 players as marquee just for the first season, and then normal player for the second?

Edited by melbournelad55

If Josh Kennedy can stay fit he will be a great asset for the club.

His foot skills are very underated really, given he is a big man. Most teams just seem to lob it up high for him, but I have seen a fair bit more to his game at times when he has had a chance to do so.

Injuries are a major issue though. With 1 marquee already injured, signing another that has an injury cloud over him is a bit concerning.

• Like 1

style-wise, he is a great signing. Exactly what we need, and should bring others in around him.

The issue is age/body obviously, so hopefully we have done our due diligence. Does anyone know exactly how he is going? when was he last played, when is he expected to return etc?

Grabbing the reigning J-league top scorer, on paper at least, should be a great weapon for us.

If we had a good start to the season everyone would be raving on about how hes a great signing. The negative vibe on the forum at the moment could've meant the signing of Messi would be met by "next mifsud" comments.

True. Had we not seen how little difference one world class player can make when there are still such obvious weaknesses elsewhere on the pitch, some may have been more excited by this news.

Imo a great signing. Hopefully it will be an effective one too. Will have to wait and see.

I'm delighted we've signed "Jesus", I think his skill in the air and his goal poaching instinct will be great assets to the team.  

I'm less delighted that we used this spot on a player that's not available till January, when the season will be half over, really shows a lack of interest in the current season, which i just don't get.  I would have preferred that CFG put "cash on the barrel head" and paid a transfer fee to sign Robbie Kruse at season's start, who has a preferable age profile, clearly though CFG are not interested in forking out for transfer fees (based on all the players talked about as marquees).

Anyway I'm still pleased we signed the guy.  With Mooy and Duff in the side, his aerial ability will be a massive threat.

• Like 2

I apologise in advance if this has already been answered but, are we allowed to top end marquee players' contracts?

E.g. Koren and Kennedy, our 2 marquee players, both signed for 2 years... is there anything saying that we cant pay them both this season say $1m each this season as marquee players and then like $300k next year as non-marquee players... or is there a rule against top loading contracts?/ Does anyone have any inside word on this idea, as I would be shocked if both Koren and Kennedy were going to be our marquee players for next season given that they will be a year older

So has the club signed these 2 players as marquee just for the first season, and then normal player for the second?

I'm not aware there is any rule preventing a marquee player being moved to become a player who is paid under the salary cap.

Sydney and Melbourne Victory have both moved players who were recently previously marquees to be salary capped players (Archie Thompson and Nick Carle.)

So that would allow a player to be paid $2 million for say season one, or $2 million for say season one and $2 million for season two and then the next season say $200,000 under the salary cap.

I'd much rather our scouts bring in a lesser known player entering the peak of their career like Broich, Berisha, Finkler, Petkovic, Ferreira etc when they came to the a league. Not a socceroo with a significant injury concern.

Surely with our resources scouting should be our biggest advantage in a salary capped league. Australian football may not be of a high technical standard but it is a tough, physical league played in fierce summer heat.

Anyone returning to oz half fit for a final payday and expecting to dominate will be found out.

I'd much rather our scouts bring in a lesser known player entering the peak of their career like Broich, Berisha, Finkler, Petkovic, Ferreira etc when they came to the a league. Not a socceroo with a significant injury concern.

Surely with our resources scouting should be our biggest advantage in a salary capped league. Australian football may not be of a high technical standard but it is a tough, physical league played in fierce summer heat.

Anyone returning to oz half fit for a final payday and expecting to dominate will be found out.

You do realise that it was an australian marquee spot we had open??
  • Like 2

In the clubs defence, who else is a realistic option that's better??

Any current socceroos are either young and /or plying their trade overseas (jedinak, leckie, oar, kruse) at higher levels and would be mad to come back or are already contracted as aus marquees (Milligan, spiranovic)

Cahill was the other option and I'm sure that avenue has been explored, but I would guess that he is happy at NYC and is under contract.

IMO Kennedy is a good signing but I certainly take on board the injury concerns etc.

I just don't think there is a better option available at this point in time and it's better to use the spot than not at all

Edited by bt50