Melbourne Football

Josh Kennedy

Kiro Kompiro

I would be a bit disappointed if he joins after his contract in japan. Hopefully he can be here from the start of the season

Timed to join just as Villa is leaving? Makes sense to me...

this.

Villa doesnt have to play up top in the lineup (just look at the Spanish game against us where he was on the left) but he would be so far better than anyone else that he would kill it.

plus we have so many wingers that Villa would best suit the lead forward.

hence, Kennedy coming in half way through is great as a means to fill the void

• Like 1

Duga on the right, Duff on the left, David Villa leading the line.

I'll take that any day of the week.

Sounds amazing doesn't it! 

I have a feeling we'll see the very best of Mate this season, hopefully he can reach and surpass his 2010/11 form.

• Like 1

The only problem is that Kennedy and Villa have dramatically different playing styles so there's the possibility that our team coherence could be impacted.

I agree but the saving grace is that it lessens the likelihood that we build the team around DV the way that Sydney did with ADP as this really unbalanced their team

What's the possibility of signing Kennedy in the cap. Seeing as though it's actually half the season as replacement to Villa. Also bringing in Bresc as the Australian Marque on a 1 year deal. Then next season reassess were both are at. Whichever is more worthy offer the Marque to.

What's the possibility of signing Kennedy in the cap. Seeing as though it's actually half the season as replacement to Villa. Also bringing in Bresc as the Australian Marque on a 1 year deal. Then next season reassess were both are at. Whichever is more worthy offer the Marque to.

lol, that would be some amazing business if they could somehow pull it off!

It was more so for balance. Striker for a striker. And also the time in which Villa is here we can save that space wages wise and pay Kennedy higher amount for half a season and not use that for a squad player.

OK. But it looks as though JvS may want to bring in another visa player to use up most or all of the rest of the cap. Hence his reported interest in the Groningen player (can't remember name off the top of my head).

• Like 1

It was more so for balance. Striker for a striker. And also the time in which Villa is here we can save that space wages wise and pay Kennedy higher amount for half a season and not use that for a squad player.

OK. But it looks as though JvS may want to bring in another visa player to use up most or all of the rest of the cap. Hence his reported interest in the Groningen player (can't remember name off the top of my head).

Great to have a twin city boy at city.

You mean the sprawling metropolis of Yackandandah...

Yack Folk Festival goes alright ahahaha

Team he played for was Twin City then he went to another called the 'Boomers' and they are a team that every league has that basically cheats and lures players away from other clubs by buying them 'gifts' since they cant pay players in the AWFA

Doesnt yack have an octoberfest thing now too?

Edited by Dylan

Yeah I think he is! 

I'm surprised he never got a chance with our senior team, he was a pretty clinical striker. I know the AWFA is no A-League but I remember when he scored 50 goals in a season to take out the golden boot  :lol:

I have little doubt he'll do very well in the A-League.

And he's a much more versatile striker than people often acknowledge him to be, so he'll score many more types of goals than just headers from deep crosses.

Moneybags Sydney FC just signed the hack Alex Brosque as their Australian marquee for the next 2 seasons, which just goes to show how scant the options are out there for Australian marquees.

So I reckon Kennedy is the best option for the Australian marquee spot, and would be very pleased if we managed to secure him.

That's how I see it. I'd be the first to admit that my tactical knowledge is nowhere near the level of some on here and I've only been really on board with the Heart in the past two years. But the way I see it, there can't be many teams in the competition with as good an Australian marquee as Josh Kennedy. Damien Duff is probably the best international player to ever sign inside the cap for an A-League club, at a guess. With our network and resources, there is no reason we can't aim to sign one of the best players in the history of the league (if not, the best) in the IM spot. And we've got David Villa for a third of the season. And Josh Kennedy in last year's side would have been an absolute godsend.

As others have mentioned, David Williams was our Australian marquee last year. Even if you don't think Kennedy is a 10/10 signing, he's got to be like an 8/10 as a minimum, doesn't he? If this is confirmed, the season can't start quickly enough, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by SF33
  • Like 4

Yeah I think he is! 

I'm surprised he never got a chance with our senior team, he was a pretty clinical striker. I know the AWFA is no A-League but I remember when he scored 50 goals in a season to take out the golden boot  :lol:

The problem with Zac is that he can often at VPL/NPL1 level spend over twenty minutes on a Soccer Pitch and have no impact what so ever on the game... You just cant carry this type of player in the A League no matter how clinical they are when they get a chance.

Edited by cadete

I have little doubt he'll do very well in the A-League.

And he's a much more versatile striker than people often acknowledge him to be, so he'll score many more types of goals than just headers from deep crosses.

Moneybags Sydney FC just signed the hack Alex Brosque as their Australian marquee for the next 2 seasons, which just goes to show how scant the options are out there for Australian marquees.

So I reckon Kennedy is the best option for the Australian marquee spot, and would be very pleased if we managed to secure him.

That's how I see it. I'd be the first to admit that my tactical knowledge is nowhere near the level of some on here and I've only been really on board with the Heart in the past two years. But the way I see it, there can't be many teams in the competition with as good an Australian marquee as Josh Kennedy. Damien Duff is probably the best international player to ever sign inside the cap for an A-League club, at a guess. With our network and resources, there is no reason we can't aim to sign one of the best players in the history of the league (if not, the best) in the IM spot. And we've got David Villa for a third of the season. And Josh Kennedy in last year's side would have been an absolute godsend.

As others have mentioned, David Williams was our Australian marquee last year. Even if you don't think Kennedy is a 10/10 signing, he's got to be like an 8/10 as a minimum, doesn't he? If this is confirmed, the season can't start quickly enough, as far as I'm concerned.

Agree with Murfy1 that some people unfairly paint 'Jesus' as a beenpole who is only good with his head. But I see him more like Peter Crutch who is also pretty good with his feet and is more versatile than some give him credit for. If we can land 'Jesus' as our Australian marquee player it would make SFC and Brosque look and smell like chicken shit :P

• Like 1

Is the main advantage of Kennedy as he offers something aerially and on the floor. Although not a striker someone like Engelaar should have more than shown that just because you are tall doesn't mean the ball has to be lobbed up to your head. Babalj was similar in that regards.

• Like 2

Yeah I think he is! 

The problem with Zac is that he can often at VPL/NPL1 level spend over twenty minutes on a Soccer Pitch and have no impact what so ever on the game... You just cant carry this type of player in the A League no matter how clinical they are when they get a chance.

Yeah, fair point. 

I'll be interested to see if he plays for the new Murray United club in the NPL 1 next season, maybe he can break through and show a bit more than he has.

Is the main advantage of Kennedy as he offers something aerially and on the floor. Although not a striker someone like Engelaar should have more than shown that just because you are tall doesn't mean the ball has to be lobbed up to your head. Babalj was similar in that regards.

Indeed.

I am all for signing Kennedy, i think he will be a genuine goal scorer at A League level.  It is worth noting though that whilst he is strong in the air and good with his feet he does have a weakness - a bad habit of pretending to be a statue for long periods.  

Indeed.

I am all for signing Kennedy, i think he will be a genuine goal scorer at A League level.  It is worth noting though that whilst he is strong in the air and good with his feet he does have a weakness - a bad habit of pretending to be a statue for long periods.  

christ-the-redeemer-rainbow-background.j

??

• Like 1

Indeed.

??

me thinks your wrong........... He's just a very naughty boy.

• Like 1

Indeed.

??

me thinks your wrong........... He's just a very naughty boy.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Just heard that Josh Kennedy and Melbourne City are in Final Stages of negotiations with Kennedy signing for us as Aussie Marquee. Apparently the whole family is back here in Melbourne and his kids have settled into school in Melbourne also.

I believe they need to agree personal terms and deal is done...

This is unbelievable! to think were our club was 8 months ago...

• Like 1