Melbourne Football

Josh Kennedy

Kiro Kompiro

Well, we don't actually have to have one. Put the dollars we save there to the international spot and get an even better player there?

Generally your only as strong as your weakest link. In football this may not always be the case. However having quality across the board would be preferred. The more marquee tiered players we have the better

Would be an excellent signing for us.

...if he remained uninjured. There's little point signing a key striker, a position where we have struggled in the last 2 years, and have him miss large parts of the season with a chronic injury

That is a concern but the lighter A League game load should help with his injury issues... it def has helped others in the past like Moneybags Garcia.

He'd be playing 7 less games over the course of the season. Hardly a lighter game load.

The J-League is 34 games spread across 9 months. A-League is 27 games across 6 months. Don't see your point here at all.

Given one of the most significant factors for on going injuries is back to back seasons especially with world/ asian cup coming up the a league with its notoriously long off season can be easier on the body as it allows more time for surgery / recovery over the off season. Add to that the fact we play once a week and I'd suggested it is a lighter load and he does have a point.

I'd suggest that it is inadvisable to generalize about back injuries. We don't know the nature of Kennedy's condition(s), and therefore it is unwise to make a prognosis.

True, but we can see that it's a long-term injury that has to be carefully managed, and that there are some restrictions on his availability as a result of this.

There are a few clinics in Belgium and Germany that many big European clubs use when they need to get a player fit from naggling injuries.. They charge the moon but they got an excellent track record. They will keep a player for months though.

Postecoglou said of Kennedy's World Cup squad omission earlier today:

“Josh was a question of timing; he was due to play yesterday but pulled up sore with his back. Speaking with the medical team, it could have been one week or two. With too much uncertainty we had to make a decision.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/socceroos-coach-ange-postecoglou-shares-tom-rogic-and-josh-kennedys-disappointment-at-being-cut-over-injuries/story-fnkjbhv0-1226942313385

So the medical team judge Kennedy's injury to probably be very short-term.

Meaning up all Kennedy's back isn't much of a problem at all, and he was just very very unlucky to have his few weeks back injury when the once every 4 years World Cup rolled around.

Just thinking back to those games mid season where JVS played a 4-4-2 lineup with a rotating diamond midfield. Imagine if we had Kennedy and Villa together compared to the Kewell/Rambo or Willo/Rambo combination we had? So many miles ahead it beggars belief even with multiple spots yet to be filled. Let's hope the club is pushing hard for this.

20+ goals next season

Care to put your money where your mouth is on this one? If we sign Kennedy, name your price and I guarantee he would not score over 11.5 goals.

I'd take you up on this if he signs for us for the full season (as it's been reported he might come at the end of the J-League season). Let's see what happens then we can talk.

Edited by Tesla

20+ goals next season

Care to put your money where your mouth is on this one? If we sign Kennedy, name your price and I guarantee he would not score over 11.5 goals.

This "guarantee" got me thinking - on what basis would someone make it?  Reckon Kennedy would have to take a lot of care crossing the road if he got to 11 goals! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have on VERY good authority that Kennedy has bought a house in surrey hills and that his family has settled in melbourne. He is due back in japan in the next couple of days and has reached a verbal agreement with melbourne city, and will be joining after his contact expires in japan. Only question is whether he will take one of the marquee spots.

I have on VERY good authority that Kennedy has bought a house in surrey hills and that his family has settled in melbourne. He is due back in japan in the next couple of days and has reached a verbal agreement with melbourne city, and will be joining after his contact expires in japan. Only question is whether he will take one of the marquee spots.

Very exciting if true. 

There'd be no doubt he'd take the Australian marquee spot though, surely.

• Like 2

Still reckon he'll be an absolute monster for us.

The only real concern is injuries but there's only really been slight niggles and I'm sure with professional management he'll be fine. 

He'll be 32 when he starts playing so he's at a decent age, can get a few years out of him and build the team around him.

Well if we sign him there goes any in behind goals, all just crosses from the wings

Why is that bad? 

We've been crying out for a clinical goal poacher and it seems we've finally got one. It's not like he has to be our only avenue to goal anyway, he's naturally going to attract an extra defender in many situations which will leave options open elsewhere.

I'm just thrilled we'll have an actual striker for once.

"What other Australian strikers are on the market that we can sign atm?"

Why does the player need to be "on the market?"
Adam Taggart had recently signed a 2 years deal with the Jets for 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 seasons, so was NOT on the market. That didn't stop Fulham getting him.

• Like 1

"What other Australian strikers are on the market that we can sign atm?"

Why does the player need to be "on the market?"

Adam Taggart had recently signed a 2 years deal with the Jets for 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 seasons, so was NOT on the market. That didn't stop Fulham getting him.

On the market in the sense that they're willing to come home. Not necessarily their contract status