Melbourne Football

Josh Kennedy

Kiro Kompiro

• 5 months later...

Deserves his own thread as 

Like several World Cup teammates, Kennedy is weighing up his future with cashed-up Heart identifying the Nagoya Grampus forward as their no. 1 Australia target.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/socceroos-striker-josh-kennedy-could-be-headed-home-for-melbourne-heart-after-world-cup/story-fni2wcjl-1226937648953

Kennedy would be a great signing. He scores lots of goals for every team he plays for, he's a good age for the A-League and he's Victorian. There's only a few Socceroos like Kennedy now who are perfectly suited to be Australian marquees, and IMO Kennedy is the best out of that few. Would be thrilled if we signed him

He's probably one of the most recognisable Australian players in the squad at the moment to anyone who doesn't follow Australian football, so he would be a good acquisition in that regard and I'd be more than happy to have him as Australian marquee. Doubt we'll hear anything until after the world cup campaign though. 

• Like 1

Ange said all out field players will be heading home from Brazil. I would think if we were to sign him this may mean it can happen quicker, unless the powers that be are wanting to see how Bresc goes.

Oh the speculation...

Edited by Deeming

Bad news for the Aussie team, but could be good news for Heart if they do want him.

With a rest his injury should clear up sooner rather than later.

I'd be a bit wary about signing him. He's had a long term back issue and this has restricted his Socceroos appearances. He's usually missed the games that involve long flights, this might affect his match availability here, especially for games with long away flights like Perth and Wellington

Bad news for the Aussie team, but could be good news for Heart if they do want him.

I'd be a bit wary about signing him. He's had a long term back issue and this has restricted his Socceroos appearances. He's usually missed the games that involve long flights, this might affect his match availability here, especially for games with long away flights like Perth and Wellington

The stats quoted by Murf above are up to the end of 2013.

How many matches has Kennedy appeared in for Nagoya this 2014 season?

I can't readily find that information, so does anyone know?

The stats quoted by Murf above are up to the end of 2013.

How many matches has Kennedy appeared in for Nagoya this 2014 season?

I can't readily find that information, so does anyone know?

http://au.soccerway.com/players/joshua-blake-kennedy/719/

This would be a wrong pick up...

I think you mean "bad"?

And why would it be a bad pickup?

Proven goalscorer in international football, bundesliga and J league

Is it because hes not greek?

140 appearances in Germany for 25 goals is pretty shit considering a lot weren't even in the top flight. That's only after a quick Wiki glance mind you.

International goalscorer? So was Mifsud. Let's have a look at the teams he's scored against: Liechtenstein, Qatar, South Africa, Netherlands, Uzbekistan, New Zealand, Thailand, Denmark, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Iraq & Canada hardly impressive.

If he doesn't get the delivery, he will wait and walk until he does. He won't run and chase like a Berisha type...

Exactly, he has a terrible work rate.

The man is quality. And based on signings so far he will get the service he needs.

Also take into account that he was only 17 when he went to Germany. as a developing player he didnt start many games until he moved to Dynamo Dresden where in his first season at a club struggling for a mid table finish finished the season as there 2nd top scorer. He then got noticed by a first division team who saw enough to offer him a three year contract. After rupturing his Achilles he did not make many appearances for Nurenburg who transferred him to Karlsruher where an argument with the coach also left him on the sidelines. After this he got a transfer to the J league  where he has twice finished with the golden boot as well as scoring very consistently.

Would be an excellent signing for us.

• Like 1

...if he remained uninjured. There's little point signing a key striker, a position where we have struggled in the last 2 years, and have him miss large parts of the season with a chronic injury

Edited by belaguttman

...if he remained uninjured. There's little point signing a key striker, a position where we have struggled in the last 2 years, and have him miss large parts of the season with a chronic injury

That is a concern but the lighter A League game load should help with his injury issues... it def has helped others in the past like Moneybags Garcia.

• Like 1

That is a concern but the lighter A League game load should help with his injury issues... it def has helped others in the past like Moneybags Garcia.

The SHORTER season might help but there is nothing "light" about A-League games.  Every foreigner that has come in is surprised by the physicality of the league.

Having read more about Kennedy's chronic injuries I'm calling it and saying I don't want him.  We have had more than our fair share of players with wrecked bodies playing for 35% of the season's game time.  Not to mention he would want a tidy contract.  Forget him.

• Like 1

He'd be playing 7 less games over the course of the season. Hardly a lighter game load.

The J-League is 34 games spread across 9 months. A-League is 27 games across 6 months. Don't see your point here at all.

He'd be playing 7 less games over the course of the season. Hardly a lighter game load.

The J-League is 34 games spread across 9 months. A-League is 27 games across 6 months. Don't see your point here at all.

I assumed the J League had more fixtures and a more established Cup comp than we have here... just because almost all other leagues do.

I assumed the J League had more fixtures and a more established Cup comp than we have here... just because almost all other leagues do.

Kennedy apparantly has had back issues for years, and its not getting any better.  We should move on.

Wog from Melbourne suburbs > Hick from Wodonga

Big Ange agrees  :up:  :up:  :up:

The main reason I dont mind the idea of signing Kennedy is because its means we fill the Number 9 spot with a half decent player (As he can be an Australian Marquee) and importantly this means can still target a Marquee Player to play as the Number 10.

Do you see any merit in this reasoning?

Edited by cadete

Wog from Melbourne suburbs > Hick from Wodonga

Big Ange agrees :up::up::up:

The main reason I dont mind the idea of signing Kennedy is because its means we fill the Number 9 spot with a half decent player (As he can be an Australian Marquee) and importantly this means can still target a Marquee Player to play as the Number 10.

Do you see any merit in this reasoning?

I do. But given current circumstances we could have 2 internationals in those roles with Bresciano in the midfield aswell (y).

Thanks. Checked the teams on each occasion - don't see his name there.

Hasn't appeared in the squad since April 19

For starters, the Socceroos started training around May 5 in Adelaide, Although Kennedy joined the Socceroos camp a bit later.

And on Kennedy's playing time in Japan, like I said in the other thread, he's played nearly all league matches across 3 of the past 4 J-League seasons (achieving the Golden Boot in 2 of those seasons), and Kennedy played all the Asian Champions League on offer (and Kennedy was a main reason that Nagoya Grampus made the ACL in the first place, with his Golden Boot performances in 2010 and 2011), and he's played a bit of Japanese cup football. And Finally Kennedy has played 36 matches for the Socceroos, and he's played 30 of those matches since he joined Nagoya Grampus.

It should be remembered as well that due to Ange Postecoglou being the Socceroos coach, that Kennedy will likely retire from international football before the next A-League season, in the same way that so many Socceroos have retired from international football since Ange took over. Brett Holman has even retired from international football, even though he's only 30.

So my position is the injury concerns are overblown. It should be remembered that all players get injuries, and after looking at the evidence I see no reason at all to believe that Kennedy would struggle to play 27 matches a season, with effectively 1 match every week.

So I'm convinced that Kennedy is the best Australian marquee option out there (and it allows Heart to sign a midfielder as our international marquee). And for the few doubters of Kennedy, they need to answer the question: which Australian footballer would seriously be a better Australian marquee than Kennedy? 

• Like 1