Melbourne Football

Josh Kennedy

Kiro Kompiro

How much longer are we going to try this "magic bullet" method of turning around Heart's/City's fortunes?

FFS stop thinking that we're going to build this club up by signing players at the wrong end of their careers.

when i look at our players that have come in over the offseason i see an even mix.  

2 over 30s (Duff, Koren) + 1 for marketing purposes (Villa),

4 at the start (Retre, Archibald, Chapman and Marino; all 18-21) + 1 as part of a youth acquisition from another club (Melling; 19)

2 with points to prove (Mooy, Brown; both 24)

1 looking to play back to form (Paartalu; 28)

if anything, the problem isnt with the older players.  Villa has had two decent games to start with and didnt get much service last time (although he didnt help himself either).  Koren has been injured (in itself a different debate).  Mooy and Duff have killed it, while Paartalu has been generally solid (certainly more so than most on these forums seem to give him credit for).

the problem i have is that the scouting and signing of young players by our club has been shit since Hamill, Good and Babelj left a two seasons back.  the club hasnt replenished well enough, and they ones still at the club seem to have a number of issues.  some just leave something(s) to be desired (Hoffman, Ramsey), some have not been the same since injury (Dugandzic, Germano), some are far too inconsistent (Kalmar, Williams) and some just dont get game time to develop (Mauk, Garruccio).

leave out the last two for a moment (given their both under 20), and that is a far amount of space going on players that have given chances by the club (some more than others) who are seemingly taking chances away from others.  of the 6, i'd say only Williams has a fair call to stay.  the other 5 should have been weeded out by now (although Ramsey did only sign a two year deal at the start of last season, so maybe he'll only go to the end of the contract).

the club just hasnt built itself well, and unfortunately the chickens have come home to roost.

in any case JW, you're right that the clubs problems wont go away with older players.  i just dont think putting blame on them is necessarily right either.  for the most part them at least seem to help in the short term.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 2

The other problem is the lack of progression of players from the NYL team since Jeremy Walker (who was ruined by Aloisi's coaching). There are fringe players that seem to exist somewhere between the youth and senior team but no genuinely exciting talent discovered, nurtured and promoted from the NYL programme.

The other problem is the lack of progression of players from the NYL team since Jeremy Walker (who was ruined by Aloisi's coaching). There are fringe players that seem to exist somewhere between the youth and senior team but no genuinely exciting talent discovered, nurtured and promoted from the NYL programme.

agree wholeheartedly.  perhaps my rant went away from this a little.  the fact we arent getting the likes of Walker to develop now is sad.  it truly seems that gone are the days of Hamill, Good, etc. coming through on a very rapid rate.

Playing attacking players as defenders and world cup winning strikers as wingers probably doesn't help either

• Like 1

How much longer are we going to try this "magic bullet" method of turning around Heart's/City's fortunes?

FFS stop thinking that we're going to build this club up by signing players at the wrong end of their careers.

whilst i agree we need good young players, marquee's are usually older due to the fact theyve had successful careers and people know who they are. Kennedy is still young enough, while yes carrying an injury, to have a few good years in him, and well known enough, in fact is a socceroos cult hero, to put bums on seats 

• Like 1

when i look at our players that have come in over the offseason i see an even mix.  

4 at the start (Retre, Archibald, Chapman and Marino; all 18-21) + 1 as part of a youth acquisition from another club (Melling; 19)

if anything, the problem isnt with the older players.  Villa has had two decent games to start with and didnt get much service last time (although he didnt help himself either).  Koren has been injured (in itself a different debate).  Mooy and Duff have killed it, while Paartalu has been generally solid (certainly more so than most on these forums seem to give him credit for).

the problem i have is that the scouting and signing of young players by our club has been shit since Hamill, Good and Babelj left a two seasons back.  the club hasnt replenished well enough, and they ones still at the club seem to have a number of issues.  some just leave something(s) to be desired (Hoffman, Ramsey), some have not been the same since injury (Dugandzic, Germano), some are far too inconsistent (Kalmar, Williams) and some just dont get game time to develop (Mauk, Garruccio).

leave out the last two for a moment (given their both under 20), and that is a far amount of space going on players that have given chances by the club (some more than others) who are seemingly taking chances away from others.  of the 6, i'd say only Williams has a fair call to stay.  the other 5 should have been weeded out by now (although Ramsey did only sign a two year deal at the start of last season, so maybe he'll only go to the end of the contract).

the club just hasnt built itself well, and unfortunately the chickens have come home to roost.

in any case JW, you're right that the clubs problems wont go away with older players.  i just dont think putting blame on them is necessarily right either.  for the most part them at least seem to help in the short term.

Forgive my rant. A shit start for the fifth season in a row isn't doing me any good whatsoever. What I meant was that just as David Villa as one player can't turn everything around, neither can Josh Kennedy or even Tim Cahill.

Bela has for a long time emphasised that a team is only as good as as its weakest link. Like a relay team where it's even more obvious.

I'm very happy with Koren and Duff as signings. But the fact remains that we have a woefully weak defence - and I'm not criticising the players - they're only human, they do their best week after week in full view of the public and it must hurt them too - and loading up the forwards with more "names" isn't going to fix the defence.

Everyone is right - we seem to have lost our holistic approach to the club's development. And WTF JvS thinks he's up to with selections is beyond me, as KSK points out above.

Someone with in the club. Cahill is fed up in America and wants to come home.

I can kinda believe that given what happened recently with the club v country issue. He stood his ground departedThought provoker.....

On the back of the club v country issue,

City make Cahill our Aussie marquee.... Then once a-league season finishes, we loan him back to NYCFC to build some theatre and rivalry with the red Bulls in the MLS. Lastly, what's stopping Cahill then heading over as a squad member at Man city.

Of all the Aussie players still going round, he's the only one who could have some pull at all three City teams still.... His World Cup goal alone has kept him on the map!

Don't be surprised if it's a play to help others Melb and NY. Yeah and after seeing Cahill's social media posts in the last year you just know he would love to play in the premier league again. Finishing off on a high in the MLS playoffs could be the perfect way in the states.

Edited by interstatefan

On SBS' Extra Time show last, JVS was asked about Kennedy and he said:

We are talking about players to come in, and Josh is one of them. He is a good player, we need players up front. But there are a few others out there as well, and in a few weeks we hope to announce something.

Interesting that JVS was just asked about Kennedy specifically, and he referred to players plural. I'm just expecting Kennedy, and I won't get my hopes up that the team will be further strengthened, but given the noises the club is making it is not inconceivable that the team could be strengthened by more players than Kennedy.

On the age of the players, I agree that the club has both recruited some surprisingly old players, whilst at the same time the club has recruited some good younger players that'll help the club over the long term: Paartalu, 28 and signed up for 4 years, Mooy, Brown (okay, we don't know if he'll come good, but he's in the ideal age bracket at 24), and then numerous promising kids, Chapman, Marino, Archibald, Melling, Retre and the re-signing of Garuccio and Mauk. If just half of the kids come good and become useful squad players, they'll be solid and low cost improvements to the squad.  

I would have preferred to see younger Visa players, but at the same time Duff, Villa and I bet Koren are all quality. Koren is actually the oldest marquee in the league quite safely at 34, with the next oldest being Broich (a proven A-League entity) at 33, and thereafter there's multiple 31 year old marquees, and then 29 year olds. The league as a whole has actually made a pretty impressive evolution since last season, where there was ADP (39), Heskey (36), Gallas (36), Conteras (35) and Ono (34). So all up it's tough to guess what's right with older players, as Duff (35, our standout Visa player this season so far, and having just gotten over a knee injury) looks good and able enough to not only be a standout A-League player this season, but next season as well. And if Duff and Koren show their quality, then they might even be class players not just this season but next season as well. Older players like Duff and Koren are known class, and are likely to provide more than middling players a bit younger such as Pablo Sanchez (31) at Adelaide and Jonny Steele (28) at Newcastle. 

Overall I think the age balance looks markedly improved in this season's squad over previous season's squads, and if kids like Mauk, Garuccio, Archibald, Marino can add something to the team, and if Duff and Koren can play most matches this season and show their quality, then I reckon things are coming along reasonably well on the age front of the squad, and the long term planning of the squad (and if Wielaert and a few other players can be replaced by useful players, inc. Visa players, in the 25 to 31-32 age bracket next season, then IMO the squad will be looking pretty solid and built for the longer term).

P.S. On the excitement of an additional player like Kennedy joining the team. Given my thoughts above, I think the squad isn't too far off, and I do believe that if the team just strengthened in a few key areas, such as the striker position and the LB position, then the team would improve a lot. And I think if the team improved in a few more positions, namely RB and GK, then overall the squad would be improved massively. So I'm hopeful that a bit more strengthening can make a big difference, as long as it's the few well known problem positions that are strengthened.
Edited by Murfy1

A good and agreeable read about Kennedy, although I would have also have emphasised his usefulness with the ball at his feet:

Move over Villa, Jesus is coming to town

27 Oct, 2014

By Janek Speight

If reports over the weekend are to be believed, Josh Kennedy will be making his way to Melbourne City in the New Year.

It’s a huge boost for the club, who are still reeling from their second half capitulation at the hands of rivals Melbourne Victory on Saturday.

Many A-League fans have also been left frustrated that David Villa’s ten-game guest stint may only last for four fixtures, with the Spanish star set to return to America to fulfil sponsorship obligations with New York City.

Yet both wounds can be partially healed if Kennedy signs on the dotted line. What’s more, a multi-year deal has been mooted, which provides a clear sign that City are looking at long-term targets, not just short-term publicity grabs.

Because while it is disappointing that Villa won’t be completing his guest stint, it can be argued that he’s already done his job. Exposure was always the number one aim, and he’s helped City pull a record amount of memberships.

His stay was never going to be a permanent one, and though it’s sad to see him leave prematurely, all he could really do from here was score more goals, pull crowds and help City get some results. All short-term stuff.

And while he’s scored two goals, results have been harder to come by, with just two taken from nine. There was always a need for a long-term strategy, and Kennedy is exactly that.

The concern of how City would fare without their temporary marquee has now been banished, the club has a solid Plan B to look forward to if Kennedy’s arrival is confirmed.

John van ‘t Schip can prepare his team for Kennedy’s arrival, and concentrate on the current season as well as keep an eye towards building the club’s long-term future.

Signing Kennedy could therefore prove just as influential as the signing of Villa, probably more so. The latter brought in the crowds, the former can help build a club intent on joining the elite in Australian football.

Two or three years with Kennedy leading the line will see City gain credibility and results. He’s never played in the top divisions of Australian football at length, his time spent almost entirely in Germany and Japan, so it will be great for A-League fans to see him firsthand.

And he’s not over the hill either, Kennedy scored five goals and put on three assists in nine matches earlier this season with Nagoya Grampus, who are sitting mid-table in the J-League.

He will leave them after a fruitful five years, where he won the J-League championship and the Super Cup, and it’s another case of a Socceroos hero returning home.

But Kennedy can likely succeed where others have failed. This is the man who only just last year headed Australia to the World Cup, and was then tragically left at home after failing to overcome a persistent back injury. If he can get on top of his niggling injuries, which is a concern, it will be a huge signing.

The attributes that made him a successful player aren’t going anywhere. He never relied on his skills, pace or fitness to run past players or trick his way around them. Those are all attributes that wane with time.

Kennedy’s forte has always been his positional sense, his ability in the air and his eye for goal. His football brain is going nowhere, and neither is his height. Pop a ball on Kennedy’s head and he’ll more than likely hit the target.

With Damien Duff in scintillating form, the Irish-Aussie partnership could cause havoc on A-League defences, and add a returning Robert Koren into the mix and it’s a mouthwatering proposition.

Koren is yet to get his chance to convince A-League fans that signing a low-profile international marquee outweighs going for the glitzy glamour option. But Marc Janko has definitely shut a lot of people up. His goal against Brisbane Roar on Friday night showed that signing big names is not the (only) way forward.

Kennedy is not a big name to rival that of David Villa, he’s more in the mould of Janko and Koren. Luckily, however, he has a profile in Australia, so his arrival should work two-fold – bums on seats and effective performances.

Villa’s early departure will only hurt in the short term, just as his time in the A-League was only going to prove advantageous in the same timeframe. Kennedy’s arrival gives City the chance to build a new club, and separate them from the ineptitude of Melbourne Heart.

All they need now is to extend Duff’s contract, get Koren on the field, make the 2014-15 finals and the rest should fall into place. Easy, right?

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/10/27/move-villa-jesus-coming-town/

I have been thinking about whether the club should have a self imposed limit on the age of visa players but then the club may miss out on some still very skilful players taht are over the age limit.So then I thought that perhaps that the rule should be there and some exceptions be made as required but then it becomes judgemental in more ways than one and it gets too hard for mere mortals to administer. The difficult thing for the A-League clubs is that they can have one marquee player whose salary is outside the cap. The other visa players have to fit in the cap and that means the pool of talent can drastically decrease. There is no point of bringing a visa player if their quality is not markedly over and above what the club or Australia already have. It is a tough one to resolve.

David Davutovic on SEN today basically confirmed, that his information is Kennedy has already put pen to paper on a multi year deal with Melbourne City and will join up with the quad in January...

Seems like the club is really building for next season... This season however seems like let's go as far as we can..

• Like 1

Forgive my rant. A shit start for the fifth season in a row isn't doing me any good whatsoever. What I meant was that just as David Villa as one player can't turn everything around, neither can Josh Kennedy or even Tim Cahill.

Bela has for a long time emphasised that a team is only as good as as its weakest link. Like a relay team where it's even more obvious.

I'm very happy with Koren and Duff as signings. But the fact remains that we have a woefully weak defence - and I'm not criticising the players - they're only human, they do their best week after week in full view of the public and it must hurt them too - and loading up the forwards with more "names" isn't going to fix the defence.

Everyone is right - we seem to have lost our holistic approach to the club's development. And WTF JvS thinks he's up to with selections is beyond me, as KSK points out above.

all good about the rant dude, you're not the only one cracking the shits about this season.

one of the main reasons i love this forum is that there's a lot of us with the clubs best interest at heart and generally see things a similar vein / put out some very valid points where their are contrasting views.

David Davutovic on SEN today basically confirmed, that his information is Kennedy has already put pen to paper on a multi year deal with Melbourne City and will join up with the quad in January...

Seems like the club is really building for next season... This season however seems like let's go as far as we can..

As a marquee?

Would be awesome if he was given front load his contract big time and only have him as a marquee for this season.

Than we can get in Cahill as our Marquee from next season onwards :)

I think with all the young players signed this year and the contracts that were already signed with players from the Heart days,  this was always the case.