Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

Just to reiterate again: that was a guess, and not even an educated guess as all this (Manchester City visiting one of the other CFG clubs) is still kind of unprecedented for CFG at the moment. CFG may just be taking their time to announce things (not entirely unusual for them) but yeah, I'm guessing.

Also, I would very much expect Manchester City to do some promotional stuff of their own, such as open training session s, which are very common for them on their tours. I just think they might hesitate to do lots of "hey, we're running a Melbourne City promo event but we're going to throw a load of Manchester City players at it because we can" stuff.

It have never happened really.. Small groups of players or individual players have visited NYCFC though as they have passed by to stuff like Copa America games or doing promotionals.

As for Melbourne I´m certain that CFG think that their fans want a certain distance to Manchester City given the furore and campaign about rebrandng issues IMHO. I´m sure someone must have mentioned it at a meeting with Simon Pearce perhaps?

As for Melbourne I´m certain that CFG think that their fans want a certain distance to Manchester City given the furore and campaign about rebrandng issues IMHO. 

Perhaps. But They cant have it both ways. They cant force a change of name and colours, etc despite people's protests and then ignore us when they visit because we want to be independent of them.

Its like a step dad forcing a kid to legally change their surname and then not buying them a Christmas present because the kid wants to keep ties with their biological family. 

• Like 1

As for Melbourne I´m certain that CFG think that their fans want a certain distance to Manchester City given the furore and campaign about rebrandng issues IMHO. 

Perhaps. But They cant have it both ways. They cant force a change of name and colours, etc despite people's protests and then ignore us when they visit because we want to be independent of them.

Its like a step dad forcing a kid to legally change their surname and then not buying them a Christmas present because the kid wants to keep ties with their biological family. 

Absolutely they can't have it both ways. At the moment the top three news stories on our (Melbourne City) web-site are about Citizens Giving, Khaldoon's interview, and the CFG agreement with MusclePharm.

That is, all three are about CFG items, not specifically about Melbourne City.

Therefore they think we're interested in CFG in a general sense.

Therefore when one of the other CFG clubs comes to Melbourne we should at least be afforded the opportunity of getting something a little bit special out of it.

Absolutely they can't have it both ways. At the moment the top three news stories on our (Melbourne City) web-site are about Citizens Giving, Khaldoon's interview, and the CFG agreement with MusclePharm.

That is, all three are about CFG items, not specifically about Melbourne City.

Therefore they think we're interested in CFG in a general sense.

Therefore when one of the other CFG clubs comes to Melbourne we should at least be afforded the opportunity of getting something a little bit special out of it.

In a general sense you are a part of CFG.. Just like the current and future teams under the CFG umbrella so I´m sure there will be something special in Melbourne in some way.

Given that Manchester City will play both Roma and Real Madrid in Melbourne soon I mean.

They can shove sky blue and hand-me-down kits down our throats all they like, but I will always support The Heart and never support Manchester City!

I have a feeling that CFG assumed/hoped that 'spreading the City brand' by plonking a 'City FC' in Melbourne and New York all the new 'City' fans will automatically become Manchester City supporters! Yeahhhh...doesn't really work like that...

Liverpool all the way baby! Oh...and I really hope Real smashes City in July  :D

• Like 2

They can shove sky blue and hand-me-down kits down our throats all they like, but I will always support The Heart and never support Manchester City!

I have a feeling that CFG assumed/hoped that 'spreading the City brand' by plonking a 'City FC' in Melbourne and New York all the new 'City' fans will automatically become Manchester City supporters! Yeahhhh...doesn't really work like that...

Liverpool all the way baby! Oh...and I really hope Real smashes City in July  :D

agreed man

• Like 1

Liverpool all the way baby! Oh...and I really hope Real smashes City in July :D

Worked for me. I'm all Cityed up in terms of merchandise. Giddy up!

As I see it it´s a win-win situation for CFG regardless..

Say that there are a 50k Melbourne City fanbase, and they all support Liverpool, it´s the same 50k even if they all supported Manchester City or West ham ^_^

As for Real Madrid it´s a bit funny because Sheikh Mansour himself is both a supporter and a major sponsor of Real Madrid, apart from being an old friend of Perez, the Real Madrid President :lol:

Why is Al Jazira not part of CFG?

My understanding is it's also owned by Sheik Mansour.

It´s not actually.. He and one of his brothers just pay their bills, if you are Abu Dhabi Royalty you are expected to fork out money.. ;)

The club is owned by its members

Edited by M13

Presumably its because its owned directly by the Sheik rather than owned by CFG, one of his companies.

He's Chairman, but I can't find a reference to actual ownership.

Presumably its because its owned directly by the Sheik rather than owned by CFG, one of his companies.

That's probably because that's the club he grew up supporting so it's personal, whereas all the City FCs are just business to him!

That's probably because that's the club he grew up supporting so it's personal, whereas all the City FCs are just business to him!

There you go then, it's the same reason most people support other clubs rather than Manchester City. I for one although i support Melbourne City i also support Crystal Palace which i grew up with in the U.K. it's personal.

Edited by johnno cpfc