Melbourne Football

Christmas derby 21st December 7:45ko

RedAndWhiteSoldier

Gerhardt should be playing in the Engelaar defensive midfield position, we bought him as a defensive midfielder but instead we have opposition teams waltzing straight through the middle because Mass and Andrea AREN'T defensive players.

I have to admit as much as I like him the Italian does seem to leak goals through Central Midfield, however if we played Gerhardt at DM we would have all the Hoofball Haters on here every day going haywire...

So pick your posion.

• Like 1

So David Vrankovic is selected for aus under 22 team.

He isn't good enough for JA against victory ????

I like David Vrankovic as a player. I'm curious though, who would you start him ahead of? Wieleart? Kisnorbo? Gerhardt?

There are only two spots available.

At this stage I would remove gerhardt for Vrankovic

So David Vrankovic is selected for aus under 22 team.

He isn't good enough for JA against victory ????

I like David Vrankovic as a player. I'm curious though, who would you start him ahead of? Wieleart? Kisnorbo? Gerhardt?

There are only two spots available.

Given that that all our defence are making mistakes, I'd rather play a younger player who can improve than an older one who has peaked. Yes, its debatable that any player would improve under JA but the lack of player rotation puts on pressure on the senior players to improve as they will get selected anyway

• Like 1

IMO, who plays depends on what approach Aloisi takes to the game. 

Murdocca today said 'I think we can [get out of our rut]. But I think we just gotta change the way we play a little a bit, and we are going to try that this week, we're going to try to press a bit more up the park' (http://www.rsn.net.au/audioplayer/1387403227.mp3).

Most of the team picks itself. The GK and the back four pick itself (Behich, Kisnorbo, Wielaert and Hoffman, although of course Walker should be the RB that won't happen). Williams should be our left winger. Murdocca should be a DM. and If Kewell starts he should be our number 10.

I reckon Dugandzic should probably be played as our RW, as I think he's been in slightly better form than Golgol (good assist and overall passing in the last game)

And then tactics matter. If we want to press and counter, Migliorini probably should be played as our 2nd DM, like he was when we pressed Brisbane (Mig had the most interceptions and ball recoveries that game BTW). I'm also weary how Kalmar would go in a high intensity pressing game.

If we want to press and keep the ball, then Kalmar should probably be played as our second DM, because he's one of our best players with the ball. And as shown against Sydney, both Kalmar and Kewell in our midfield together took our midfield to another level when we had possession.

If we defend deep, and don't keep the ball, Aloisi should probably take this to its logical conclusion and play Gerhardt in midfield (a bit surprising he hasn't done it thus far).

If we play hoofball, Golgol should probably be our striker. If we don't always hoof it, Mifsud should be.

Although Aloisi seems to disdain playing the right players for a given set of tactics, so I doubt he'll think about much of the above. But IMO not playing the right players to fit into Heart's team and tactics is a main reason why we're on the bottom of the ladder. Hopefully sense prevails.

Edited by Murfy1

My formation was what I thought Aloisi would go with. I'm not sure how Kewell pulled up after Sydney. Definitely would prefer Kalmar over Migliorini.

I've always maintained that M&M's pairing is weak in the midfield. Tactics aside, we leak goals and are regularly torn apart through there. Bring on Gerhardt to enforce and lay some hard tackles.

As was said above, Kewell and Kalmar's pairing was dynamite. We killed it when both were playing. Our attack has creativity and those two bring the others into the game. Mifsud looked good and so did our outside forwards.

I'd like to see...

Redmayne

Walker ------------- Wielart ---- Kisnorbo ------------ Behich

Gerhardt -------- Murdocca

Dugandzic ------------------------------------------ Williams

Kewell -------- Kalmar

Mifsud

• Like 1

My formation was what I thought Aloisi would go with. I'm not sure how Kewell pulled up after Sydney. Definitely would prefer Kalmar over Migliorini.

I've always maintained that M&M's pairing is weak in the midfield. Tactics aside, we leak goals and are regularly torn apart through there. Bring on Gerhardt to enforce and lay some hard tackles.

As was said above, Kewell and Kalmar's pairing was dynamite. We killed it when both were playing. Our attack has creativity and those two bring the others into the game. Mifsud looked good and so did our outside forwards.

I'd like to see...

Redmayne

Walker ------------- Wielart ---- Kisnorbo ------------ Behich

Gerhardt -------- Murdocca

Dugandzic ------------------------------------------ Williams

Kewell -------- Kalmar

Mifsud

To be fair, the way we're going we'll probably need 12 on the field to win.

Edit: Haha, beat me to it Nate

Edited by King Malta

Melbourne Heart FC Squad: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 3. Robbie WIELAERT, 6. Patrick GERHARDT, 7. Iain RAMSAY, 8. Massimo MURDOCCA, 10. Harry KEWELL, 11.Michael MIFSUD, 14. Golgol MEBRAHTU, 15. David WILLIAMS 16. Aziz BEHICH, 17. Jason HOFFMAN, 19. Ben GARUCCIO, 20. Tando VELAPHI (GK), 21. Stefan MAUK, 22. Nick KALMAR, 23. Mate DUGANDZIC, 24. Patrick KISNORBO, 25. Andrea MIGLIORINI (Two to be omitted)

Melbourne Heart FC Squad: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 3. Robbie WIELAERT, 6. Patrick GERHARDT, 7. Iain RAMSAY, 8. Massimo MURDOCCA, 10. Harry KEWELL, 11.Michael MIFSUD, 14. Golgol MEBRAHTU, 15. David WILLIAMS 16. Aziz BEHICH, 17. Jason HOFFMAN, 19. Ben GARUCCIO, 20. Tando VELAPHI (GK), 21. Stefan MAUK, 22. Nick KALMAR, 23. Mate DUGANDZIC, 24. Patrick KISNORBO, 25. Andrea MIGLIORINI (Two to be omitted)

Safe to say that Mauk and Garuccio will be the 2 omitted

easy to work out what will happen, Ben GARUCCIO & Stefan MAUK will be automatic omissions

What I expect:

Mifsud

Williams   Kewell   Dugandzic

Murdocca   Kalmar

Behich Wielaert Kisnorbo Hoffman

Redmayne

BENCH
Velaphi
Ramsay
Mebrahtu
Gerhardt
Migliorini

OMITTED
Mauk
Garuccio

Maybe Migliorini will get picked over Kalmar, but otherwise I think the above team is pretty certain. Mate seems above Golgol in the pecking order, as Mate replaced Ramsay at halftime against Sydney whilst Golgol only got subbed on on the 84th minute.

This team should be good enough. And if we employ some positive tactics like pressing, which Murdocca said today we will, then in theory we should be good enough to get something out of this match. It's now just a question of Aloisi, and whether he can employ good enough tactics and get the most out of these capable players.
  • Like 1

If we sit back and attempt to absorb pressure, it will be over by half time.

The only game we won was very first derby under JA where we took on mv high up in their half and prevented them from playing out.

Sure, they were just starting under AP and where nowhere near as dangerous as they are now are.

Unfamiliar with new tactics, it wasn't difficult to get on top.

Everyone knows our plan (I use the word plan very loosely)

If we don't change it and attack from first whistle, it will be dire to watch

It still annoys me that Walker isn't even in the squad! If you're gonna play Hoffman, I'd much rather it be up front than in defence.

Expect to see most of MV's attacks to come from Hoff's side of the field.

The Hoff will be fine, came through game one neh problem 

I agree, we don't send players forward so it'll make little different to our shape and movement that he always has a midfielder and/or a CB moving across to help him out.

Fucken Thompson, how is it that this guy thinks he can comment on our club... Sticking up for his mate JA. How about you worry about your club, there is plenty their to keep you occupied.

When the Heart beat Victory this Saturday everyone will be calling for KM head... Come on Heart

If anybody is watching CCM v NUX ATM you'll see a pretty good style from Merrick's team keeping the ball and putting pressure on CCM. If only Hysegums had converted from the penalty. JA OUT Merrick IN LOL (I'm kinda serious I think ;) )

Yeah im watching , Phoenix do play good Football ..... Im more nervous about playing them than I am the Visitors 

play a 4-3-2-1 pls

best match up to play vs them. 

Redmayne

Walker---------Wielaert---------------Kisnorbo---------------Aziz

Gerhardt

Migliorini------------------------Murdocca

Kewell-----------Mauk

Mifsud

Even though Walker isnt in the squad ffs

Edited by nicotera5

If anybody is watching CCM v NUX ATM you'll see a pretty good style from Merrick's team keeping the ball and putting pressure on CCM. If only Hysegums had converted from the penalty. JA OUT Merrick IN LOL (I'm kinda serious I think ;) )

Yeah im watching , Phoenix do play good Football ..... Im more nervous about playing them than I am the Visitors

At least with the Tards we seem to lift but it'll be interesting to see how we approach Nux.