Melbourne Football

Christmas derby 21st December 7:45ko

RedAndWhiteSoldier

after all this club only cares about the derby so I think that if we lose that they will sack him but if we win it and then go another 15 games without winning he will probably still have a job.FFS what other sports club around the world would keep a coach that hasn't one in 15 games! 

I'm seriously getting lost with all these records mentioned. Thought I read 19 games now without a win?

We're only about half way to equalling  Brisbane Roar's record of 36 games...oh wait...

• Like 1

Preview: Melbourne Heart vs Scum

By Dejan Kalinic

Melbourne Heart host Melbourne Victory in Round 11 of the 2013-14 A-League season at AAMI Park on Saturday December 21 at 7.45pm AEDT.

Head-to-head:

Played: 10, Wins: Heart 3, Victory 3, Draws: 4

Previous encounter:

Victory 0-0 Heart, October 12 2013

Form:

Past five matches:

Heart: LDDLL

Victory: WLDWL

The Game:

Derbies are rarely one-sided affairs and despite Melbourne Heart's bottom-of-the-table status, the Victory will be expecting a testing and feisty encounter on Saturday night. The Heart looked promising in keeping a clean sheet in round one, but their form has been woeful since as the pressure on coach John Aloisi has increased. Under Aloisi, the Heart have won just eight of 37 games, including none in 10 this season. Kevin Muscat is coaching in a Melbourne Derby for the first time after taking over from Australia boss Ange Postecoglou. His Victory team create more than enough chances and should expect to take all three points.

The big issue:

Heart – easing the pressure on under-fire coach Aloisi. The former Socceroo's record at the helm has been poor with just 21.6 per cent of those matches finishing in Heart wins. A good performance and a draw might be enough, but a victory is what the Heart desperately need. Heart chief Scott Munn refused to guarantee Aloisi his future in the lead up to the clash and his team need to start performing far better than they have so far this campaign. They have the league's worst attack and defence heading into the encounter.

Victory – converting their dominance of possession into goals like they did – just – against Perth on Friday night. Muscat's men had a season-high 23 shots in their 2-0 win over the Glory, bettering the mark of 21 they set the week prior. Opta stats suggest the Victory have created the most 'big chances' in the league this season, but their conversion ranks seventh. Those numbers suggest there is plenty of room for improvement in the Victory and if they do start making the most of their opportunities, they could seriously threaten the competition's top sides.

The game breaker:

Mitch Nichols – the attacking midfielder has enjoyed a solid campaign playing as one of the two number 10s in the Victory's system. James Troisi has contributed more goals, but Nichols leads the Victory for assists this campaign with three. The former Brisbane Roar attacker can break games open with his movement and clever passes and can, if the Heart midfield and defence offer him too much space, prove a major factor in the derby.

Prediction: Heart 1-2 Scum

The Heart always lift for their meeting with their cross-town rivals, but their performances this season mean getting anything out of the derby will prove tough. If the Victory are wasteful, Aloisi's side can capitalise, but if Muscat's outfit can find an early goal, they could score several more. Expect a much livelier encounter than round one with the Heart needing a win and Victory always searching for one. Playing on the counter-attack will suit Aloisi's side, but which team can take their chances will no doubt prove the difference.

Looks like the derby won't even be a sell out. Too many pissed of MH supporters will not be rocking up. Can you blame them?

Unless they are supporters who have to travel great distances then: Yes.

Like myself many posters on here have not altered their ususal exhausting Pre Christmas Derby Routine despite our Team's pathetic performances.

• Like 2

Looks like the derby won't even be a sell out. Too many pissed of MH supporters will not be rocking up. Can you blame them?

Unless they are supporters who have to travel great distances then: Yes.

Like myself many posters on here have not altered their ususal exhausting Pre Christmas Derby Routine despite our Team's pathetic performances.

Cant agree more.

Its been a bloody hard slog so far this season, but you aint a true supporter if your just supporting through the good times.

All i have to say to anyone not rocking up cause theyre not happy with the situation atm..

Harden the fuck up n get your ass to AMMI Park this Saturday night!!!!

• Like 2

I don't care, as long as I'm there Saturday night!

The good times taste so much sweeter when you endure the bad, I pity the fickle.

I honestly can say that i have only missed 2 games in 4 years. One was the 2nd Derby (had Bon Jovi on and couldnt sell the ticket so had to go) and the other was the home WSW game this season and that was cause my son was not even a week old

Doesn't look like it's going to be a sell out. No talk in the papers like other derbies.

Hopefully the penny is about to drop with the board......thinking they can cash in everytime the derby is held at AAMI then they are about to find out the hard way that its not the case anymore.

Supporters are pissed off and rightly so....the ones that only turn up to the derby or are neutral could not be bothered anymore as they have better things to do on a Saturday night than go to watch a team that hasn't won a game in its previous 19 attempts....

Doesn't look like it's going to be a sell out. No talk in the papers like other derbies.

Hopefully the penny is about to drop with the board......thinking they can cash in everytime the derby is held at AAMI then they are about to find out the hard way that its not the case anymore.

Supporters are pissed off and rightly so....the ones that only turn up to the derby or are neutral could not be bothered anymore as they have better things to do on a Saturday night than go to watch a team that hasn't won a game in its previous 19 attempts....

I agree. The core fans will be there, the ones who live far will consider, the casuals will not bother.

Redmayne

Walker ------- Wielart ---- Kisnorbo -------- Behich

Murdocca -------- Migliorini

Dugandzic -------  Kalmar --------------- Williams

Mifsud

The result, obviously, largely depends on how we play. Hopefully, the players are given a license to play their natural game. We destroyed Sydney's defence for half an hour by relentlessly pushing forward.

Contreras is a much better defender than both of Sydney's centre-halves. Also, Milligan is a quality DM and provides good cover. I don't rate Leijer as highly as others but their entire backline (plus Coe) makes them difficult to break down. They're a balanced team across the park.

If we are to win this match, Murdocca/Migliorini need to close down Troisi/Nichols. The pair make a really good and dangerous combination. Lot of intelligent running and hard tackling needed from Murdocca in particular. We cannot afford to drop back and absorb pressure either. It does not work at the A-league level.

Redmayne

Mifsud

The result, obviously, largely depends on how we play. Hopefully, the players are given a license to play their natural game. We destroyed Sydney's defence for half an hour by relentlessly pushing forward.

Contreras is a much better defender than both of Sydney's centre-halves. Also, Milligan is a quality DM and provides good cover. I don't rate Leijer as highly as others but their entire backline (plus Coe) makes them difficult to break down. They're a balanced team across the park.

If we are to win this match, Murdocca/Migliorini need to close down Troisi/Nichols. The pair make a really good and dangerous combination. Lot of intelligent running and hard tackling needed from Murdocca in particular. We cannot afford to drop back and absorb pressure either. It does not work at the A-league level.

So you think Kewell wont start then?

I would be shocked of he doesnt to be honest with you

Couldn't care less if its a sell out or not. Less Heart supporters the better! It'll be more satisfying when we win to cheer with other loyal supporters who don't care what position we are on the table and go to games for the love of the team. 

Fire the fuck up!!!

Maaaaate :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

IM FUCKING FIRED UP!!!!

:up:  :up:  :up:  :up:

Redmayne

Mifsud

So you think Kewell wont start then?

I would be shocked of he doesnt to be honest with you

i reckon that he will start

Think we should start with the formation we had when Kewell came on tbh, migliorini to the bench and start kalmar in a 4-1-4-1 style set up

Agreed.

We just look more attacking with those 2 on the park

Redmayne

Murdocca

Dugandzic -----  Kalmar---- Kewell------- Williams

Mifsud

• Like 2

If we play a 4-1-4-1 from the start we will get destroyed in midfield, that's a given.

I expect a 4-2-3-1 with Kewell obviously the #10, the 2 wingers should be naturally deeper considering they play with the inverted wingers instead of a #9, meaning we're going to need to cover our 2 fullbacks a little more than usual, there is absolutely no way a 4-1-4-1 can work in any game from the start, especially against a Victory side with so many numbers in midfield.

• Like 1

I agree. The core fans will be there, the ones who live far will consider, the casuals will not bother.

The Derby 'Specials'?

This is what I'd have:

Redmayne

Walker   -   Kisnorbo   -   Weileart   -   Behich

Migliorini      -      Murdocca

Kewell

Dugandzic           -             Williams

Mifsud

Bench: Velaphi, Gerhardt, Kalmar, Ramsay, Golgol

1. Gerhardt can cover for a defender or defensive mid

2. Kalmar will come on for Kewell as I don't think Kewell will survive the whole game, but prefer Kewell starting

3. Ramsay can cover for Behich or Williams, if need be

4. Golgol can come on for Dugandzic or Mifsud depending on the score and those players' performance.

This is what I'd have:

Redmayne

Walker - Kisnorbo - Weileart - Behich

Migliorini - Murdocca

Kewell

Dugandzic - Williams

Mifsud

2. Kalmar will come on for Kewell as I don't think Kewell will survive the whole game, but prefer Kewell starting

4. Golgol can come on for Dugandzic or Mifsud depending on the score and those players' performance.

If only Aloisi realised that neither Golgol(when starting) or Dugandzic have contributed anything this season and that Garrucio would put them to shame if he was to start or even be in the matchday squad. He's been in great form albeit in the NYL but he'd definitely impress.

This is what I'd have:

Redmayne

Walker - Kisnorbo - Weileart - Behich

Migliorini - Murdocca

Kewell

Dugandzic - Williams

Mifsud

If only Aloisi realised that neither Golgol(when starting) or Dugandzic have contributed anything this season and that Garrucio would put them to shame if he was to start or even be in the matchday squad. He's been in great form albeit in the NYL but he'd definitely impress.

Put them to shame are you serious?

This going of NYL form?

Golgol  has had an average season but he runs rings around people every time he plays in the NYL and also scores like its going out of fashion so I really dont see how you can such a profound statement of NYL form alone.

So David Vrankovic is selected for aus under 22 team.

He isn't good enough for JA against victory ????

And The Hoff wasnt starting either for MHFC when he scored 8 goals in 13 games for the Australian under 23 side.

Seriously PPL needs to stop overating our Youth players simply because they are both "Young" and they are not members of our "Losing Sides" this season.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

So David Vrankovic is selected for aus under 22 team.

He isn't good enough for JA against victory ????

I like David Vrankovic as a player. I'm curious though, who would you start him ahead of? Wieleart? Kisnorbo? Gerhardt?

There are only two spots available.

Id rather the club put Vrankovic in front of Gerhardt now.

• Like 2