Melbourne Football

Grand Final Thread Melbourne City FC v Sydney FC 30/8 6:30pm Bankwest Stadium

NuggetsMcGreggor

28 minutes ago, neio said:

I didn't think Berenguer was that bad last night, he wasn't at his best but he was serviceable. 

Don't let that dickhead Andy Harper get in your head, he laid the boots into Berenguer every chance he got saying he looked tired and heavy legged. His commentary was near on unprofessional last night the was he was flat out barracking for WU to win. Of those so called neutral experts Bozza is the only one who gives us any credit at any stage

But Berenguer was invisible, couldn’t stay on his feet, his usual short burst all lacked intensity, lastly stayed hidden behind his man a lot which forced us to play the long balls. Don’t rate Harper but that was the old pre Christmas Berenguer we’ve seen last night and clearly he wasn’t right.

Edited by Mr MO

41 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

But Berenguer was invisible, couldn’t stay on his feet, his usual short burst all lacked intensity, lastly stayed hidden behind his man a lot which forced us to play the long balls. Don’t rate Harper but that was the old pre Christmas Berenguer we’ve seen last night and clearly he wasn’t right.

He wasn't derby Berenguer that's for sure, but I've also seen him be alot worse. I thought as a midfield trio they were all down and beaten, but who cares we still have a game to play, and unless he is injured, I'm not changing the starting 11. It's got us this far

13 minutes ago, neio said:

He wasn't derby Berenguer that's for sure, but I've also seen him be alot worse. I thought as a midfield trio they were all down and beaten, but who cares we still have a game to play, and unless he is injured, I'm not changing the starting 11. It's got us this far

Nah we aren’t going to change the line up now, you are right we looked far fresh - Brillante wasn’t too bad.

With Berengeur it’s still very hard to judge,  so much inconsistency.

4 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Nah we aren’t going to change the line up now, you are right we looked far fresh - Brillante wasn’t too bad.

With Berengeur it’s still very hard to judge,  so much inconsistency.

Just didn’t seem right. The week off probably helped him overcome the issue but came at the expense of his match fitness and general sharpness. Will be better for the run though and will certainly start. 

1 minute ago, Harrison said:

Just didn’t seem right. The week off probably helped him overcome the issue but came at the expense of his match fitness and general sharpness. Will be better for the run though and will certainly start. 

My feeling with Berenguer is that he is not a person with a lot of self-belief. He's missed so many easy chances with us. I recall one fresh-air swing from about a metre from the goal-line.

The opposite of, say, Maclaren, who is probably nowhere near Berenguer technically but has oodles of self-belief.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

My feeling with Berenguer is that he is not a person with a lot of self-belief. He's missed so many easy chances with us. I recall one fresh-air swing from about a metre from the goal-line.

The opposite of, say, Maclaren, who is probably nowhere near Berenguer technically but has oodles of self-belief.

Berenguer might be an Archie Thompson type player, in that when he is playing against opposition that are marginally less skilled than him he can significantly out perform them, however when he is up against players that are marginally better than him (i.e. AT playing for Australia against reasonable opposition), he is made to look rubbish. 

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/pfa-announce-a-league-team-of-the-season

Don't know where else this belongs; makes for an interesting read.

Says we're either (a) just a solid team, or (b) the process is totally fucked (maybe both).

By the numbers:

• We finish second by 6 points and only get one nomination for A League team of the season (JMac).
  • Sydney finish top by 6 points and get 4 starters and 1 pine warmer.
  • Wellington finish 3rd for 2 starters and 1 pine warmer.
  • Brisbane 4th and 1 starter.
  • Geelong United finish 5th with 2 starters.
  • Perth 6th with no rep (fairly right).
  • Adelaide 7th and get 1 starter and 2 pine warmers.
  • WSW 9th with a pine warmer (WTF))

20 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Says we're either (a) just a solid team, or (b) the process is totally fucked (maybe both).

By the numbers:

• We finish second by 6 points and only get one nomination for A League team of the season (JMac).

IMO these things are a complete waste of time.

I rate us as having a very solid squad indeed. More than happy with it and I hope we see most of them in City colours again next season.

What an absolutely shit end to a crap year.

We make the GF after 10 years and 99% of us cannot be there.

Which means we are BOUND to win The Toilet Seat.

Le Genius departs straight after.

And we're quite probably back to being managed by a former player. This has not served us well.

Bah. Humbug.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

What an absolutely shit end to a crap year.

We make the GF after 10 years and 99% of us cannot be there.

Which means we are BOUND to win The Toilet Seat.

Le Genius departs straight after.

And we're quite probably back to being managed by a former player. This has not served us well.

Bah. Humbug.

A mate and I made the pledge a few seasons ago - that we would go to our first GF wherever it was going to be. And now we just can't go.

I reckon most of the old Heart faithful would have gone as well. Would have been a big turn-out of travelling fans.

Indeed it is sad.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Flo is either really really good or shithouse. Theirs no inbetween

Unfortunately it’s been 40% good and 60% bad it’s annoying.

13 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

BREAKING : Chris Beath to referee the Hyundai A-League 2020 Grand Final 

Are you joking, that Iranian fellow is by far the best referee in the country.

4 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

By the numbers:

I agree with this actually, individually we just don’t have the best players, we’ve come this far this year as a collective. Almost half our games we can’t even pass it to each other more than three times!

Windy would be up there if he played all season I would say.

Edited by Mr MO

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

A mate and I made the pledge a few seasons ago - that we would go to our first GF wherever it was going to be. And now we just can't go.

I reckon most of the old Heart faithful would have gone as well. Would have been a big turn-out of travelling fans.

Indeed it is sad.

500% we would've been there.

It's taken me until now to pick my jaw up from the floor and reassemble it after we won our semi. A pretty average performance, but we won with an average performance in a very important game, hopefully, that wasn't our 'grand final'. I'm looking forward to the delayed telecast in standard definition, a real highlight of football television! Still, we are in a final, and actually playing pretty well. We do need Florin to lift, our midfield was invisible in the semi, but the smurf's style suits us better than WU's bus. 

It's hard to know how it'll go, hopefully a win may encourage Le Parton to stay, we really need the coaching continuity.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, neio said:

For all the shit we give CFG and what seemed to be the complete disregard for our history. This is the single greatest thing they have done for the real fans of this club, the ones who have been here for 10 years 

Delighted. Our proper colours for the biggest match in our history. Just wish we could be there to cheer them home. 

Edited by fensaddler