Melbourne Football

Stefan Mauk

Deluka

23 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

You never want to lose a good player, however i think Malik has been quite good for us so far. We weren't going to get him for nothing and it's more likely we'll have Malik long term compared to mauk who will probably go overseas after this season

wish the club took this approach with our gk's #bringbacktando

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

wish the club took this approach with our gk's #bringbacktando

Which brings me to a thought...

David Williams, Tando Velaphi and Stefan Mauk - all left during the January transfer window. There was speculation about why Mauk had not signed a contract extension along with the likes of Melling. How did Velaphi end up in a smallish club in the J-League? How did Williams end up in a smallish club in the Hungarian league? I wonder if the club (read CFG) now has the resources to be able to find new homes for players that are currently expandable. Certainly that would appear to be the case with Williams. With Mauk he would have become expandable if Brattan and Caceres are at the club next season, and since the club needed someone to replace Paartalau then it all becomes a win-win situation. Velaphi is a little bit more perplexing in that we still needed a back up GK but right now he was not getting game time as he is not part of the NPL - send him off to the J-League where he becomes the #1 keeper and his contract finishes when Sorensson's contract finishes.

What this means is that the club does not have to behave like WSW/MV by sending players to train on their own or whatever. They simply tell them that they could continue their careers elsewhere and that the club will help to find them a new club.

25 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Which brings me to a thought...

David Williams, Tando Velaphi and Stefan Mauk - all left during the January transfer window. There was speculation about why Mauk had not signed a contract extension along with the likes of Melling. How did Velaphi end up in a smallish club in the J-League? How did Williams end up in a smallish club in the Hungarian league? I wonder if the club (read CFG) now has the resources to be able to find new homes for players that are currently expandable. Certainly that would appear to be the case with Williams. With Mauk he would have become expandable if Brattan and Caceres are at the club next season, and since the club needed someone to replace Paartalau then it all becomes a win-win situation. Velaphi is a little bit more perplexing in that we still needed a back up GK but right now he was not getting game time as he is not part of the NPL - send him off to the J-League where he becomes the #1 keeper and his contract finishes when Sorensson's contract finishes.

What this means is that the club does not have to behave like WSW/MV by sending players to train on their own or whatever. They simply tell them that they could continue their careers elsewhere and that the club will help to find them a new club.

Did you mean to say?

56d21209928ba_images(11).jpg.d25dd050032

Or did you mean to say?

56d212269b117_images(12).jpg.2a611e295c3

IMO we would have kept Mauk until the end of this season had Williams accepted the move to Adelaide. We appear to have been very keen to secure Malik, expected Mauk to leave anyway at the end of the season, and so the exchange took place once Williams declined the offer.
As for Mauk himself, there's no doubt he's a sound A-League player, perhaps a little short on staying power over a full 90, but I'd say he's deluding himself if he expects to be a star in Europe. He'd better make sure he has some padding in the back of his shorts, because he'll spend plenty of time sitting on a bench somewhere; there's hundred of young players over there trying to "make it" and he'll just be one in the crowd.

Mauk had a lot of big impacts on the games we played including scoring and assisting. He's now gone to Adelaide and he's again having a big impact in their games as well. If we're comparing him like for like then so far Mauk is by far the better player than Caceras so we've lost out in that department. 

15 hours ago, n i k o said:

Mauk had a lot of big impacts on the games we played including scoring and assisting. He's now gone to Adelaide and he's again having a big impact in their games as well. If we're comparing him like for like then so far Mauk is by far the better player than Caceras so we've lost out in that department. 

I couldn't disagree more with all the comparisons between Mauk and Caceres. First of all, Mauk was not swapped for Caceres. It was for Malik, and that's where I think we ended up second best. YES !! Mauk is a better player than Malik. I still  believe that Caceres, overall is better than Stefan. He's been a bit unlucky with how things have developed for him. Did well v the nix on his debut , was playing well when sent off v the wsw and on his return v the tards he also is sent off for two soft yellows. All these factors have made an impact on his match fitness, rhythm and getting used to new team mates and field position. He has only played 4 games ( 1 x 90 mins ) and some people are already smashing the poor kid.

Given as much time as we've given other players who were really bad,  I've no doubts that he will prove some of you wrong.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

I couldn't disagree more with all the comparisons between Mauk and Caceres. First of all, Mauk was not swapped for Caceres. It was for Malik, and that's where I think we ended up second best. YES !! Mauk is a better player than Malik. I still  believe that Caceres, overall is better than Stefan. He's been a bit unlucky with how things have developed for him. Did well v the nix on his debut , was playing well when sent off v the wsw and on his return v the tards he also is sent off for two soft yellows. All these factors have made an impact on his match fitness, rhythm and getting used to new team mates and field position. He has only played 4 games ( 1 x 90 mins ) and some people are already smashing the poor kid.

Given as much time as we've given other players who were really bad,  I've no doubts that he will prove some of you wrong.

Firstly I haven't smashed the kid, that's so far from the truth that I suggest you go back reread my post much more carefully. I said that so far Mauk is the better player, which is true. You can't say that a player that hasn't scored or assisted a goal and has been sent off twice has performed as well. Secondly, as a said, Caceras is a "like for like" player with Mauk. They both play in very similar positions which is why it makes sense to compare the two. And thirdly I'd like to know your method for comparing a defensive midfielders performances in Malik to an attacking midfielder/strikers performances in Mauk? 

Not sure why your mentioning his match fitness, has he been injured or out of the game for a prolonged period? And seeing as he saw out a majority of both games he was sent off in I doubt he's lost any match fitness at all. I do agree he has to get use to his team mates and that that can take a little bit of time.  

In the end I don't know if Caceras will be a good player for us. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. I never said anything against him that he won't be, I was merely looking at his current impact on the team and comparing it to a player that plays in a similar position to him. 

• Like 1

Malik for Williams - the original proposition - would have been a plus for us. Malik for Mauk was IMO the wrong decision in terms of timing. At the end of the season perhaps yes, but not when we actually looked as though we could achieve something. I don't blame Malik for anything, but the facts are that our defence is now even more porous than it was before the transfer window - conceding a routine two goals per game. And we let go in the window our 4th and 5th highest goalscorers. Result? 4 points out of 15. Why did we have to be the most active club in the window?

On Monday, February 08, 2016 at 6:53 PM, Jacques Le Cube said:

Actually for me the comparison should be made Malik for Partalu and Mauk for Caceras. I really can't make a judgment yet for either but really not much in it.

I'm comparing on position and role within the team.

Edited by Jovan
not sure about this merging bullshit either drives me nuts.

28 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Actually for me the comparison should be made Malik for Partalu and Mauk for Caceras. I really can't make a judgment yet for either but really not much in it.

I'm comparing on position and role within the team.

I said at the time that Paartalu and Mauk would be missed. For me, Mauk and Paartalu are significantly better than Caceres and Malik. The only reasons I can think of why the club made these transfers was that Paartalu didn't suit the 3-5-2 we were playing at the time or to free up space to sign Wilkinson. Though technically we could've signed Wilko outside the cap (maybe?) and I was under the impression that Williams for Fitzgerald freed up a lot of cap space.

If i were paartalu and was sitting on a 4yr contract with 2.5yrs to go - and had a problem with the coach for being dropped - why would i not wait till the end of season where the probability is the coach would go before me???

At least Malik stays in front of his defence.

Can't believe people are saying we miss this guy when we've been leaking goals all season. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, rass said:

If i were paartalu and was sitting on a 4yr contract with 2.5yrs to go - and had a problem with the coach for being dropped - why would i not wait till the end of season where the probability is the coach would go before me???

Probably because he's a professional footballer who doesn't want to waste any more of his relative short career waiting if JVS is to be sacked. Challenging the coach about inept tactics always gets you and your captain dropped or benched or moved on!

Watch how well Mauk can do in a team with a real coach. There is even more deep disharmony in the dressing room after the last few games and Mooy in particular looks like he'd go now if he were able to. Let's see if JVS lasts. Of course against a depleted Sydney team he might snag a win and get another reprieve.

14 hours ago, coys said:

Good to see Mauk on the score sheet again, futhermore rubbing salt into the wound and flourishing whilst his more expensive replacement Caceras has done nothing for the team

Releasing Mauk was pretty much just part of Melbourne City's " there was an old lady who swallowed a fly" tale.  Releasing Paartalu (for a free, no less) set of an unfortunate chain of events. 

Stefan is still saying he wants to go to Europe at the end of this year, and because of this I still think it was an ok deal. Malik does a lot of cutting out work and since he been at DM the opposition most creative midfielder hasn't dominated.

It's also no surprise Mauk is fluroshing at United, he is playing where we wants to play, it was unfortunate for him that Aaron Mooy was in front of him at city

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

After his incident with Wade Dekker and seeing what happened last night I'd say there's no love lost between him and a number of his former companions at City. Perhaps that's why City were glad to see the back of him.

Yea I an almost certain that something happened, did Williams really turn down Adelaide? or did an incident occur with Mauk and City changed their mind who they wanted to let go?

Regardless of what happened in terms of him leaving, you can't blame the kid for:

1.) Playing with some agro

2.) Wanting to win 

3.) Proving a point, which he did ... he was their best player last night

Once again, an event occurs (Mauk leaves, Malik arrives), and we lose. 

As most on this forum can plainly see, we will not be winners until JVS is moved on. 

and yes, Mauk is a little turd ... 

• Like 2

JVS was a superhero last a few weeks ago and now it's "time to move him on"? 

Mauk played out of his skin, he was always going to and i'm not even mad because he shows just where we are at professionally. It's always been paper over the cracks with JVS and a lot of you surprise me when we go on some sort of streak and forget about all the s**t we had to put up with.

Our best squad ever and our only chance to win something. Down the drain.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/adelaide-united-midfielder-stefan-mauk-admits-he-was-heartbroken-when-jeered-by-melbourne-city-fans/news-story/b7e97aab03023910e161039d0372edf4

So the bloke talks shit about the club in the media the second he leaves, he takes out Wade Dekker behind play and starts a fight with his former teammates, and wonders why we disn't show him too much respect when they played us at AAMI? Arrogant prick.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/adelaide-united-midfielder-stefan-mauk-admits-he-was-heartbroken-when-jeered-by-melbourne-city-fans/news-story/b7e97aab03023910e161039d0372edf4

So the bloke talks shit about the club in the media the second he leaves, he takes out Wade Dekker behind play and starts a fight with his former teammates, and wonders why we disn't show him too much respect when they played us at AAMI? Arrogant prick.

He's an absolute cunt.

I hope Melling two-foots him.

• Like 2