Melbourne Football

Stefan Mauk

Deluka

Based on current form, if Koren even gets a look in ahead of Mauk when he comes back it will be a disgrace.

Not sure on this. Personally I would dearly love for Koren and the club to come to some arrangement and he departs during the January transfer window. But what happens next week? We know that Mauk can't play for 90 minutes, so he can either start and be subbed off or he can come on as a sub. So who would he tandem with? We got Koren or Trifiro. if we assume that Koren won't be ready for next week then Trifiro should be on the bench and come on in the second half when Mauk is tiring - this would be an ideal scenario because we can test Trifiro's ability. If Koren is fit we should probably go with Koren on the bench. There are two other possibilities in Retre and Garrucio but that would be dependent on them not playing in defense. I do note that last Friday Retre did go in the middle in the second half and probably was no worse than the alternatives.

Really?

Unless it was Sky blues or tards I wouldn't hesitate to pick Koren. Mauk needs to take his fitness more seriously.

Mauk's good but a real stretch to say after a few games he should be picked ahead of Koren. Still believe Koren can feed the Tuna more quality.

For mine though, I'd have them interchangeable each game as I don't think either of them can play a full 90. That way Bruno won't have to play isolated for half a game.

• Like 2

People have been crying out for Koren to be dropped for ages. He gets injured, Mauk is thrown into his spot and plays extremely well, far better than Koren has. I don't see why he should lose his spot once Koren is fit. You can see Mauk has the ability and that he's getting better every week, but from Koren we just see no effort and subpar performances. I personally think that for now it should be Mauk's spot to lose.

• Like 2

People have been crying out for Koren to be dropped for ages. He gets injured, Mauk is thrown into his spot and plays extremely well, far better than Koren has. I don't see why he should lose his spot once Koren is fit. You can see Mauk has the ability and that he's getting better every week, but from Koren we just see no effort and subpar performances. I personally think that for now it should be Mauk's spot to lose.

I would probably have Mauk on the bench for the next game. That is only because I believe we should play two defensive midfielders. However, I wouldn't have Koren anywhere near the team at the moment.

I would probably have Mauk on the bench for the next game. That is only because I believe we should play two defensive midfielders. However, I wouldn't have Koren anywhere near the team at the moment.

So would you play Melliing/Paartalu deeper with Mooy sitting in front? 

Edited by n i k o

So would you play Melliing/Paartalu deeper with Mooy sitting in front? 

I'd keep Mauk on and make sure Mooy can drop deeper to help out, instead of actually being a second cdm.

Melling or Paartalu for the dedicated cdm role.

Not much different to last week. Just make sure we have adequate midfield backup on the bench.

• Like 1

Stefan Mauk says death of his father George changed his entire focus to soccer

November 4, 2015

Val Migliaccio

44171673339f072b49abebd084e22b33

SA Sports Institute (SASI) soccer team that wants to play in the World Cup if it is played in Australia. From left to right at the front, Dion Kirk, Jacob Melling, Benjamin Garuccio, In the midde, Teaboy Kamara, Bodhi Randell-Deptula, Stefan Mauk. And at the back Joshua Baressi, Ben Warland, Jordan Kallios, Nathan Mauriello and Sam McKechnie-Merrick.

MELBOURNE City’s new season sensation Stefan Mauk says soccer had helped him grieve the death of his father Georg.

Two days after Georg died, Mauk fronted for an Adelaide City junior game in 2010.

“My dad was a big figure in my football career,’’ Mauk said.

“After he passed away I had a game with Adelaide City and the only thing I wanted to do was to play football.

“It’s a place where you can get away from it all and (former Socceroo) Vince Grella has come in my life and he’s looked after me since.

“Dad passed away with cancer, it wasn’t a good thing to go through as a kid.

“But it’s made me stronger. He had a German background and for me he was the one that persuaded me to swap from AFL to football.

“I really thank him for that, he has helped me make a good decision.”

Mauk, 20, has been lauded as one of the A-League’s most exciting prospects and he is expected to lead City’s energetic attacking midfield at Coopers Stadium tomorrow night in a crunch match against Adelaide United.

Mauk has scored twice in three games for City this season, replacing the injured Robert Koren in the line up.

His goals arrived via a seemingly telepathic understanding between fellow South Australians Jacob Melling, 20, and Ben Garuccio, 20. Another SA young gun Marc Marino, 19, will also join the trio once he overcomes a knee injury after making his mark by scoring a goal with City last season.

“I remember playing with Ben (Garuccio) when we were about 10 at Adelaide City,’’ Mauk said.

“The friendship we have and living together in Melbourne for the last three years we have that kind of partnership and we sort of look for each other.”

Mauk said he would feel at home at Hindmarsh tomorrow night.

“There will be a lot of family and my girlfriend will be there as well,’’ Mauk said.

“I hope the result will be the right one.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/stefan-mauk-says-death-of-his-father-george-changed-his-entire-focus-to-soccer/story-fndm8jzo-1227595652917

Edited by Murfy1

One to watch: Stefan Mauk

stefan-mauk_1ajw9rjsg38xz11fercun5ukmz.j

Wednesday, 11 November 2015

Put aside the stats for a minute. Stefan Mauk’s return to the Melbourne City side has been one of the highlights of the season so far. Take the home game against the Mariners in Round 4.

Mauk’s attacking instincts and energy engineered a strong second half performance – in cahoots with another talented youngster Stefan Zinni - that helped reap a much-needed first win of the season for City.

And how about his goal against the Jets a week later?

The youngster picked up the ball on the halfway line before playing a neat one-two with Ben Garuccio on the edge of the Jets box.

Running at the defence, Mauk played the ball to David Williams who produced a delicate flick over the top for the midfielder to chest down and smash home. Wow!

Adelaide born Mauk signed for Melbourne City FC for the 2012-13 Hyundai A-League season on a two-year deal. He spent his first season on a National Youth League contract, before being elevated to a senior deal in May of 2013.

Mauk made his first appearance for the Club in a 2-1 away loss to Sydney FC, replacing former captain Fred after 72 minutes. 

The teenager made his first start for the club in the 2013-14 A-League season, a 2-1 win by the Club over Perth Glory at Lavington Sports Ground in Albury.

Mauk typically plays as an attacking midfielder, but possesses the skills necessary to play anywhere in the attacking third. 
And his stats back that up. He’s becoming a very valuable player at City and one to watch in the NAB Young Footballer of the Year race.  

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/nab-young-footballer-of-the-year-player-to-watch-melbourne-citys-stefan-mauk/e2mv378xj7231g64y56tj557g

Hmmm, would have been reasonable if he went overseas before the start of last season, he'd shown enough for that age to get signed by a fairly big European team.

At his age now, after missing a season and still having not shown a lot this season, seems a bit unusual, would be some third rate European League like Denmark.

7 hours ago, carlings said:

David Davutovic today mentioned in his studs up chat that he thinks Mauk will head overseas at the end of the season. 

Bali, for a post season piss up?

Honestly, I'm a fan of this kid, but at the moment all he is "is a kid with talent".  If he wants to start regularly in this league, let alone a bigger overseas league, he needs to consistently contribute in matches.  At the moment he plays like a younger Koren.  Touches of brillance, then goes missing for long periods (and ALWAYS fades out in the second half).  He needs to show recruiters (and his current club!) he can pull off shit at 90 +2 and not be done by 55.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

No go-home tug for South Australian Stefan Mauk as he makes his mark at Melbourne City

Michael Lynch

December 10, 2015

In Australian Rules football many clubs have to cope with the "go-home" factor: young men drafted at the age of 18 who travel interstate unwillingly and can't wait to seek a trade back to where they grew up as soon as possible. 

In soccer it's a bit different. Youngsters often leave home much younger and move around from club to club as they seek the big break that can lead them to a professional career.

Very few ever ask for a transfer back to their home town team until the end of their career, and not even then all that often.

Melbourne City's up and coming youngster Stefan Mauk is a case in point.

The 20-year-old goalscoring midfielder is from South Australia and played his junior football with Adelaide City, the old NSL powerhouse, and in the South Australian State Institute.

But that was only the beginning of a journey that has taken Mauk to two other cities (Canberra and Melbourne) and earned him plenty of frequent flyer points as a representative of Australia's junior national teams, most notably as a Joey at the Under 17 World Cup in Mexico.

The SA-born player has a German passport - courtesy of his father's German antecedents - and has a long term dream to play in the Bundesliga.

But for now he is happy to drop anchor at City and try to establish himself as a key member of the starting eleven, something he has done in recent weeks as coach John van 't Schip experiments with several fresh faces in his starting line up.

Mauk has scored three goals so far - including finishing off a tremendous team effort in the 3-2 home loss to Newcastle - and has been used in a variety of midfield roles, including as a wide man in an attacking three.

He is not someone who is looking to go home any time soon.

"I played with Adelaide City in the juniors and then went through the state and institutes there, then moved to the AIS in Canberra at 15, then to Melbourne Heart at 16.

"It was never about going home to Adelaide. Heart were a good team to come to at the time, John Aloisi was a coach I respected, and they gave me an opportunity at the time. I am enjoying it here now.

"I have always believed in my ability. Maybe this year I have matured a little bit more, been given the chance and I have taken it. I think I am deserving a starting eleven spot even with the players coming back from injuries, I will back myself to be part of that and if not, once you get left out its about working your way back in," says Mauk.

The upcoming game against Newcastle is one which will tell the football public just where City is right now.

It has won its past two games 5-1 against teams at the bottom of the ladder, but the Jets who are battling for a spot inside the top six, will be a much tougher proposition.

In the first game between the two this season at AAMI Park City were terrific in the first half, raced to a 2-0 lead and looked home and hosed at the break.

The Jets came out and scored three times in a second half in which City simply imploded. That cannot happen again, Mauk,agrees, when they clash on Sunday.

"I think last time the first half was good for us, the second half not so much. We just have to learn from that."

So how did City throw away a two goal lead?   

"It was a bit of complacency. We were very confident going in at half time. Maybe we thought the game was over because they were very average in the first half. The roles were reversed in the second half, they were good and we were average.

"It was a combination of things, they scored an early goal and then the mentality changed from us where we were just really worried about defending and not playing with the ball."

City still has not kept a clean sheet all season, and that is their main target over the next few games.

"It's good to score but we need to focus on defensively being strong. We conceded one against both sides (Perth and Mariners) and I don't think we should have conceded against either of them.

"It's now about focussing on defending as a team and that starts from the front to the back," says Mauk.

Morale has, of course risen, but no-one is yet getting carried away until City can put a run together against the top teams.

"Two 5-1 results against the lower teams doesn't prove anything. We have to go out and beat the higher ranked teams. We have to keep backing the performances up.

Mauk is particularly happy that French winger Harry Novillo has returned. The wide man has given City a fresh dimension up front and is forming a good partnership with Uruguayan striker Bruno Fornaroli.

"Harry is a great player, one of the best in the league, his natural talent is second to none, he is powerful, got a great shot and really helps the team out, this year he is helping out the team a lot more defensively. We can all see what he has to do when he has the ball at his feet."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/no-gohome-tug-for-south-australian-stefan-mauk-as-he-makes-his-mark-at-melbourne-city-20151210-glk3ep

Good kid Stefan Mauk. He also said in today’s press conference “now with Melbourne City obviously it’s probably the best club in Australia to be at”.

• 2 weeks later...

Olyroos prepare to take on Asia’s best in Rio 2016 qualifiers

David Davutovic

December 21, 2015

THE A-League’s best young talent will test themselves against Asia’s best next month when the Olyroos start their Rio 2016 qualifiers.

It’s understood that there will be an even spread of A-League and overseas-based players in the 23-man man squad that coach Aurelio Vidmar will announce on Wednesday.

While three over-age players are allowed at the Olympics, the qualifiers are strictly an Under-23 tournament.

A number of Australia’s European-based stars have been blocked from participating in the January tournament, which falls outside the FIFA international window.

Ross County midfielder Jackson Irvine, who’s worn the captain’s armband and Liverpool left-back Brad Smith, who was picked in several Olyroos camps when he was uncontracted, are among those who are believed to be unavailable.

A-League clubs are obliged to release players under the terms of their license agreement with Football Federation Australia, and players will leave for Olyroos camp in Dubai after the Round 13 games, finishing on January 3.

Melbourne City midfielder Stefan Mauk was a regular for the Olyroos until his omission from the last camp, which coincided with him breaking into the first XI.

He is among only a handful of Olyroos playing regularly in the A-League, along with right-back Jason Geria (Melbourne Victory) and striker Jamie Maclaren (Brisbane Roar).

Mauk said despite the lack of minutes and the likelihood that overseas players will miss, the Olyroos can still qualify for the Rio Olympics.

“It’s disappointing that a lot of those overseas boys won’t be able to come away with us, they’re overseas for a reason, they’re very talented and a big part of the Olyroos,’’ Mauk said.

“But there’s plenty of depth in the A-League, even with players that aren’t playing. There’s plenty of talented young players that haven’t been given the opportunity, for example Connor Pain (of Melbourne Victory) didn’t even come on in the derby. He’s a top player.

“It goes to show the A-League’s getting better and harder for young players to play.

“It’s probably a headache for Aurelio Vidmar when they’re not playing, but there’s plenty of player to pick from.

“It would be an honour to be picked for the national team and qualify, which I’m sure they’ll do, but even if I don’t get picked it’s a good opportunity t stay here and play games.’’

The Olyroos, who missed out on London 2012, are in Group D of the 16-team tournament and open their account against the United Arab Emirates on January 14, before facing Vietnam (January 17) and Jordan (January 20).

Only the top three teams qualify, meaning the Olyroos must make the semi-finals to have any chance.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/olyroos-prepare-to-take-on-asias-best-in-rio-2016-qualifiers/story-e6frf423-1227684881231

Arsenal superstar inspiring City young gun

22 December, 2015

Stefan Mauk says he has modelled his game on Arsenal star Aaron Ramsey as he adjusts to a new role with high-flying Melbourne City.

The 20-year-old is enjoying a breakout season in the Hyundai A-League, playing a key role in City’s incredible patch of form over the last month.

While the likes of Aaron Mooy, Bruno Fornaroli and Thomas Sorensen have attracted most of the headlines, Mauk has also been a model of consistency.

He has scored four times from 10 appearances in 2015/16, had two assists and thrived in a new wide-midfield role in City’s prolific attack.

Much more comfortable centrally – where Mooy is starring - Mauk has had no choice than to adapt is a position similar to the Gunners' Welsh superstar Ramsay.

“I’m not an out and out right winger, I don’t have the pace of some other wingers. It’s just reinventing that position, something like Aaron Ramsey’s been doing for Arsenal,” Mauk told the Herald Sun.

“I’m an Arsenal fan and I’ve looked and seen he's a midfielder and he’s playing that position and they play a similar type of football we strive to play.

“It’s about doing the team job on the wing, but once we’ve got the ball it is a bit of a free role.

“When we’ve got the players we’ve got up front, it’s very off the cuff.”

Prior to this season, the youngster had made just three starts for City but has already racked up seven this campaign.

He admits it’s hard as a young player not to be playing regularly but feels he has made the most of his opportunities under coach John van ‘t Schip this season.

“We’ve always had good players in my position so it’s just about taking that chance,” Mauk said.

“Maybe this year I’ve taken it more than I have previously and maybe it’s a bit of maturity, knowing that maybe I’ll only get one chance and that was the first derby of the season.

“I came on and scored and assisted and it’s kicked on from there. Now I’m seen more as a senior player than a young player.’’

Mauk scored City’s opening goal in the 2-1 derby win over Melbourne Victory on Saturday night, stooping low to head home Ben Garuccio’s cross.

Reflecting on his rare headed goal, Mauk said: “It’s my first headed goal since under-11s or 12s, probably from Ben [Garuccio] in under-12’s at Adelaide City.

“I just saw the ball and attacked it. I’m not sure I knew too much about it, but it was a good moment to score. It was a good play, and the type of football we want to play, getting numbers in the box.

“We had to consolidate and back up our recent wins by beating one of the big teams, if not the biggest.

“I’m very happy to get on the scoresheet again against Melbourne Victory and I don’t think we’ve ever been second on the table. It’s good being in a winning side.”

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/arsenal-superstar-aaron-ramsey-inspiring-melbourne-city-youngster-stefan-mauk/a8ax9m2fr8b21syj9fol58zhv

• Like 3

As expected in the Olyroos squad

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/mauk-named-in-olyroos-squad-olympic-qualifiers/8czmlu4ww4up1lo7qajvq1n30

Stefan Mauk has been rewarded with a call up to the Olyroos following an impressive start to the season with Melbourne City FC.

Mauk, 20, has featured in 10 matches for City, making 7 starts and contributing 4 goals - his latest goal coming in Saturday's 2-1 triumph over Melbourne Victory in the Melbourne Derby.

Having featured just five times last season, Mauk has already established himself as an important contributor to City's midfield in the 2015/16 season, which contains the likes of Jacob Melling, Robi Koren, Aaron Mooy and Erik Paartalu.

Mauk is part of the 23-man Olyroos squad named on Wednesday morning by Head Coach Aurelio Vidmar, which will compete in the AFC U-23 Championship Doha 2016 in Qatar from 14-30 January - which is the final round of qualifying for the 2016 Olympic Games.

Mauk joins Socceroos Chris Ikonomidis, Josh Brillante, Adam Taggart, Terry Antonis, Daniel de Silva and Mustafa Amini as well as 11 other players from the Hyundai A-League.

“We have put together an exciting squad that includes some players with Socceroos experience and also illustrates the strength of the Hyundai A-League and its position as a true pathway for national team footballers,” Vidmar said.

“The squad contains 12 players from our National Competition and the A-League clubs and coaches should be congratulated for the part they play in developing these players.

“We have taken the group through an important journey with qualifying, camps and friendly matches but this is a step up in class that they have to take in their development as international football players.

“We head to Qatar for a tough tournament but we have a good group of players that and we’re confident we can qualify for the Olympic Games, which is a great opportunity for the players.”

The Olyroos will head to Dubai for a seven day camp before the opening match in Group D against the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on 14 January at the Grand Hamad Stadium. The Olyroos also play Vietnam (17 January) and Jordan (20 January) with the top two teams progressing to the quarter finals.

The top three teams will qualify for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games Football Tournament.

Olyroos squad for the AFC U-23 Championship Doha 2016 in Qatar

Surname

First Name

DOB

Club

AMINI

Mustafa

20-04-93

Randers FC, Denmark

ANTONIS

Terry

26-11-93

PAOK, Greece

BORRELLO

Brandon

25-07-95

Brisbane Roar FC

BRILLANTE

Josh

25-03-93

Calcio Como, Italy

BURGESS

Cameron

21-10-95

Fulham FC, England

DE SILVA

Daniel

06-03-97

Roda JC Kerkrade, Holland

DENG

Thomas

03-20-97

Melbourne Victory FC

DONACHIE

James

14-05-93

Brisbane Roar FC

DUNCAN

Jack

19-04-93

Randers FC, Denmark

EDWARDS

Ryan

17-11-93

Partick Thistle, Scotland

GALLIFUOCO

Giancarlo

12-01-94

Melbourne Victory FC

GALLOWAY

Scott

25-04-95

Melbourne Victory FC

GERIA

Jason

10-05-93

Melbourne Victory FC

GERSBACH

Alex

08-05-97

Sydney FC

HOOLE

Andrew

22-10-93

Sydney FC

IKONOMIDIS

Christopher

04-05-95

SS Lazio, Italy

IZZO

Paul

06-01-95

Central Coast Mariners

LENNOX

Aaron

19-02-93

Kilmarnock FC, Scotland

MACLAREN

Jamie

29-07-93

Brisbane Roar FC

MAUK

Stefan

22-10-95

Melbourne City FC

PAIN

Connor

11-11-93

Melbourne Victory FC

TAGGART

Adam

02-06-93

Dundee United FC, Scotland

UGARKOVIC

Steven

19-08-94

Uncontracted

Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/mauk-named-in-olyroos-squad-olympic-qualifiers/8czmlu4ww4up1lo7qajvq1n30#MjefCIVIqxALPvLR.99

8 hours ago, wfc_10 said:

Available options to cover Mauk's absence include; Koren (although he has publicly stated being put on the wing), Williams, Kuzi, Dekker/Espindola, and even Zullo once fit, he did begin his career as a winger...

Your probably right. Koren is the most likely. Kuzi could be an option but his alleged attitude could be more of the issue than his soccer. Williams in form might be the answer.  So I reackon Koren or Williams with cover Mauk short term.

10 hours ago, wfc_10 said:

Available options to cover Mauk's absence include; Koren (although he has publicly stated being put on the wing), Williams, Kuzi, Dekker/Espindola, and even Zullo once fit, he did begin his career as a winger...

Could move Gooch to LW and have Harry move to the right. It is, after all, his natural position.

32 minutes ago, rass said:

Natural yes. His preference or what's best for the game plan - not so sure.

This season I think we've been able to see some of Garuccio's quality as a winger, even though he's only played at LB. Gooch has 3 assists this season, all of which were from runs down the wing. I think it's only when he has to defend as an LB he comes unstuck (like in both derbys this year).

4 minutes ago, illeatyourheart said:

This season I think we've been able to see some of Garuccio's quality as a winger, even though he's only played at LB. Gooch has 3 assists this season, all of which were from runs down the wing. I think it's only when he has to defend as an LB he comes unstuck (like in both derbys this year).

Hear you. But do you change the system to fit a player, or a player to fit the system. If we already have enough wingers as we do, do we have to alter our style and move Novillo just to fit Ben in?

Also in this last derby, even though BKF had too much space to get that cross in, I don't think it was due to Ben's defending - more a lapse in the midfield or even Novillo not coming back.

10 minutes ago, rass said:

Hear you. But do you change the system to fit a player, or a player to fit the system. If we already have enough wingers as we do, do we have to alter our style and move Novillo just to fit Ben in?

Also in this last derby, even though BKF had too much space to get that cross in, I don't think it was due to Ben's defending - more a lapse in the midfield or even Novillo not coming back.

Novillo and Mauk/Gameiro have been swapping sides once or twice per game anyway. I don't think it would upset the system too much to have Gooch on the left. Heck, could even keep the same system and have them continue to swap throughout the game.

• Like 1