Melbourne Football

Stefan Mauk

Deluka

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You mean John Roberts? He's only 16-17 (can't quickly find his dob). We'll be sending them out in nappies soon. FMD, if CFG can't send us a marquee injury replacement from players already on their books then it's not worth being a member of the Group.

Meh on what i've seen of him and his record so far I'd be more than happy to chuck him in and give him a crack. Fuck this mollycoddling bullshit of waiting until players are ready etc, its setting them up to fail over the journey imo.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You mean John Roberts? He's only 16-17 (can't quickly find his dob). We'll be sending them out in nappies soon. FMD, if CFG can't send us a marquee injury replacement from players already on their books then it's not worth being a member of the Group.

They might send a replacement. 

My point was more in regards to Crowley and not being at A League level. 

But really at the end of the day we've got Cahill as a genuine striker. At A League level he is more than adequate infact if I was a gambling man I would put some money on Cahill being leading A League goalscorer this season. 

19 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Meh on what i've seen of him and his record so far I'd be more than happy to chuck him in and give him a crack. Fuck this mollycoddling bullshit of waiting until players are ready etc, its setting them up to fail over the journey imo.

Your point is well made. In fact I've just read that linked article in the CFG thread http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/inside-city-football-group-manchester-citys-network-of-clubs-new-york-melbourne-girona-a7934436.html?amp where it says "...The data from the City Football Group’s shared services department says that in the last decade of Champions League competition, of the players involved at every club that has reached the quarter-finals, 83.5 per cent were playing senior minutes at the age of eighteen.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Your point is well made. In fact I've just read that linked article in the CFG thread http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/inside-city-football-group-manchester-citys-network-of-clubs-new-york-melbourne-girona-a7934436.html?amp where it says "...The data from the City Football Group’s shared services department says that in the last decade of Champions League competition, of the players involved at every club that has reached the quarter-finals, 83.5 per cent were playing senior minutes at the age of eighteen.

Exactly. Tbh i doubt Stefan Mauk would say that getting thrown in against Sydney that time was a bad thing for his career. IMO if you can't learn to deal with a setback like that early in your career, you're never going to have the mental toughness to succeed any high level. 

50 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Yes @jw1739, if they're ready they're ready.

Rooney played EPL at 16, wasn't Sterling 17, Kewell was starring at Leeds at 17 & Pele played for Santos at 17.

we get used to Aussie kids not being ready till they're 22, but it's not always the case.

dont throw him to the wolves, but if he looks ready, why not.

Throw them in the deep end, if they can't swim.... Well goodbye. But if they can, they'll become a valuable team member. Take Tonyik for example, although he isn't the best CB, if he hadn't played last season he would have been much worse if he made his debut this season.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Mauk showed the class needed from a #10 at times last night, but for mine the consistent performance wasn't there. 

With Carrusca, Budzinski and even Cahill lining up for his spot, he will need to lift or will soon find himself fighting just to get a bench position.

I hear what you say, but when the team's instinct is to pass the ball backwards at every possible opportunity, is it fair to judge the creative ability of the AM?

• Like 2

Mauk played well but he's not a #10 in the way a Carrusca is. Pretty sure we would have created more chances and the linking with Ross would have worked better if he had come on.

Tbh, I'm not sure where you would play Mauk. He's a good player and i like watching him, but he seems like a Jack of All Trades/ Master of None type. E.g. he's not a starting winger, striker nor #10 - but he can play those positions if needed.

7 hours ago, rass said:

Mauk played well but he's not a #10 in the way a Carrusca is. Pretty sure we would have created more chances and the linking with Ross would have worked better if he had come on.

Tbh, I'm not sure where you would play Mauk. He's a good player and i like watching him, but he seems like a Jack of All Trades/ Master of None type. E.g. he's not a starting winger, striker nor #10 - but he can play those positions if needed.

Definitely not a winger and as the #10 or even second striker just doesn't have enough tricks (yet). I reackon his best hope of becoming a regular is to develop into box to box midfielder. 

But for us specifically I think he will play as the #10 and start until Budzinski is fully fit and then make way. It mirrors  a lit bit a couple seasons back when Mooy energed as true gun  and kept Koren out. Now I'm not suggesting Mauk is close to Mooy and definitely not suggesting Budzinski is the same as Koren its just an interesting situation. 

7 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I don’t even think Budzinski is an out and out 10? 

Carusca is probably the only one and really should be playing if we want McCormack or Bruno to be effective 

Wazza has so many forwards he doesn't know what to do with them.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Wazza has so many forwards he doesn't know what to do with them.

By Wazzas rhetoric it sounds like he does not discriminate and is aiming for a consistent team first and foremost. If players are scrapped by injury or illness then they will have to fight their way back in.

I think we are going to see much the same team over the next few weeks as we did on Fri - if it aint broken, dont fix it. Jakob @ left back worked for Wazza, why drop La Rocca or him or Jamieson. 

Mauk is a great acquisition because he is energetic, determined and showed good signs on Fri. It will be tough to get in the team for his position.

Ultimately it may require a change in our formation. Perhaps a 4411. Brandan and Kilkenny will naturally put pressure on selection, but they are not a given. If fitzy and kamau keep working hard and winning games for us, Brandan will find it hard to be in the starting squad.

I have said it before, this push for competition for positions will either destroy morale or exponentialliy improve our players and the squad. I hope the latter, as you see in many of the best clubs in the world. But there are not as many opportunities in Aus for second choices to get game time outside of formal fixtures and to keep fit and focussed. That is my concern

• Like 1

I thought Mauk showed glimpses of the class that I've always thought he had. His work rate is second to none on the pitch and although some of his passes and shots were abit off tonight he's only going to get better. 

He wasn't the best in the park and I don't think he will be consistently like mooy is but he will be essential for us going anywhere this season

He's improved so much since he left us for Adelaide.

You could see his potential at that point but he's come back as a much better footballer, he's built up significantly from a physical standpoint too in my opinion.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Always been a big fan of the kid,  people forget how good he was for us before we traded him away for 2 coke cans and a packet of chips

If Malik performed performed to the same level he is now when we got him it would have been an absolute steel.  Mauk had was looking to overseas and it was likely  (at the time) that it was going to be at the end of the season. We let him go six months earlier for a player we expected to perform well and in an area that we needed more coverage.

I liked Mauk when he was playing for us the first time, however I think, without the benefit of hindsight, we made the right decision.

Edited by malloy
spelling/grammar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, malloy said:

If Malik performed performed to the same level he is now when we got him it would have been an absolute steel.  Mauk had was looking to overseas and it was likely  (at the time) that it was going to be at the end of the season. We let him go six months earlier for a player we expected to perform well and in an area that we needed more coverage.

I liked Mauk when he was playing for us the first time, however I think, without the benefit of hindsight, we made the right decision.

But Malik hadn't played a good game for Adelaide for a while when we had got him, and barring the two games this season has been average at best during his entire Melbourne city career. 

I understand from the clubs point of view that if they knew mauk was going that it was better to have something then nothing long term however, were we really better off having Malik compared to keeping Mauk until the end of the season? Have we really gotten better as a team since we got Malik?

We played finals that year too, imagine if we kept mauk instead of giving him to Adelaide to help win the premiership, who knows what could have happened.... 

We essentially gave Adelaide the final cog in their finals machine for nothing.

9 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

But Malik hadn't played a good game for Adelaide for a while when we had got him, and barring the two games this season has been average at best during his entire Melbourne city career. 

I understand from the clubs point of view that if they knew mauk was going that it was better to have something then nothing long term however, were we really better off having Malik compared to keeping Mauk until the end of the season? Have we really gotten better as a team since we got Malik?

We played finals that year too, imagine if we kept mauk instead of giving him to Adelaide to help win the premiership, who knows what could have happened.... 

We essentially gave Adelaide the final cog in their finals machine for nothing.

If you are asking did we get better with Malik then you are misding my point. Mauk was not in our best XI, we needed more defensive midfield stock at the time. On all the information available at the time it was a good decision. 

I am not going to argue that with hindsight it was a good decision because it wasn't and Malik has been a useless cunt for us

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, moops said:

Mauk is playing more forward than what he is used to, he's not familiar with the role.

When you hear about him making the most tackles in a game, or has made the most intercepts in the league, he has had a big impact on our defensive game.

What is his real position then AM, CM or DM? If he is not used playing where he played now then  It looked like the last couple of game he played next to Malik by slightly higher up. Against Perth Bud played AM with Brattan hanging right side with Fitzgerald.z

22 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

What is his real position then AM, CM or DM? If he is not used playing where he played now then  It looked like the last couple of game he played next to Malik by slightly higher up. Against Perth Bud played AM with Brattan hanging right side with Fitzgerald.z

You are right, I mean where he has mostly played he is unfamiliar with, AM and FW, he likes box 2 box, but maybe by those stats he is a better DM, or play the Hogg role at Huddersfield, he has the energy for it?

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Well, Malik's going to be out for at least the next match. Put Mauky as DM alongside Kilkenny with Brattan in the AM role because I reckon Carrusca won't play next match either. Jakobsen to partner Bart at CB, Jamieson LB. Muscat or Pierias at RB with La Rocca on the bench. Arzani to start RW, Fitzgerald LW and Ross at CF.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well, Malik's going to be out for at least the next match. Put Mauky as DM alongside Kilkenny with Brattan in the AM role because I reckon Carrusca won't play next match either. Jakobsen to partner Bart at CB, Jamieson LB. Muscat or Pierias at RB with La Rocca on the bench. Arzani to start RW, Fitzgerald LW and Ross at CF.

Pretty much what I have been thinking, I would love to see Genreau on the bench as well, killed it for the young socceroos and now NYL with goals and assists.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Dutch press have Mauk to Brisbane Roar. 

https://www.forzanec.nl/nieuws/nieuws/article/nec-onderhandelt-over-verkoop-van-mauk.html

Translated it says:

Stefan Mauk is definitely on his way to the exit at NEC. The Nijmegen club negotiates with the Australian Brisbane Roar the sale of the 22-year-old midfielder. That confirms technical director Remco Oversier. 

NEC last season leased Mauk to his old club Melbourne City, where he made 22 official appearances and scored five times. The club had an option to buy, but did not explain it. Now Brisbane is probably catching up. Mauk has a contract with NEC until mid-2019. 
If the transfer takes place, Mauk will meet an old acquaintance of NEC at Brisbane. Brett Holman has been playing for the club since the summer of 2016. 

23 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Dutch press have Mauk to Brisbane Roar. 

https://www.forzanec.nl/nieuws/nieuws/article/nec-onderhandelt-over-verkoop-van-mauk.html

Translated it says:

Stefan Mauk is definitely on his way to the exit at NEC. The Nijmegen club negotiates with the Australian Brisbane Roar the sale of the 22-year-old midfielder. That confirms technical director Remco Oversier. 

NEC last season leased Mauk to his old club Melbourne City, where he made 22 official appearances and scored five times. The club had an option to buy, but did not explain it. Now Brisbane is probably catching up. Mauk has a contract with NEC until mid-2019. 
If the transfer takes place, Mauk will meet an old acquaintance of NEC at Brisbane. Brett Holman has been playing for the club since the summer of 2016. 

He scored in 3 games against the roar so would make sense why they want him hahah

Hard-working gutsy player with a bit of devil in him - who I would have thought measures up to Joyce's requirements. We'd better have some bloody good options available to us if we're going to let him slip through our fingers. First Jakobsen, now Mauk?