Melbourne Football

Stefan Mauk

Deluka

Can only assume jvs didn't want to bring him back in if he's leaving again next week anyway

I'm pretty certain this is the case. Mauk will leave to join the Olyroos (U-22s) next week, and given that Koren and Murdocca are sidelined for a bit options that can play beyond the Brisbane game should have been selected, and sure enough were. Also, Melling at least showed he's worthy of selection, so not selecting Mauk and selecting Melling and Retre was worthwhile (if only because it determined that Melling is ready to play now, but Retre could use a little more time).

JVS extended Mauk's contract at the start of the season. He wouldn't have done that if he wasn't going to play him. And JVS did play him a fair bit last season. So I see Mauk getting a good amount of game time once he's back from National Team duty.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Can only assume jvs didn't want to bring him back in if he's leaving again next week anyway

I'm pretty certain this is the case. Mauk will leave to join the Olyroos (U-22s) next week, and given that Koren and Murdocca are sidelined for a bit options that can play beyond the Brisbane game should have been selected, and sure enough were. Also, Melling at least showed he's worthy of selection, so not selecting Mauk and selecting Melling and Retre was worthwhile (if only because it determined that Melling is ready to play now, but Retre could use a little more time).

JVS extended Mauk's contract at the start of the season. He wouldn't have done that if he wasn't going to play him. And JVS did play him a fair bit last season. So I see Mauk getting a good amount of game time once he's back from National Team duty.

I agree that its pretty clear that JVS is a fan of Mauk. I actually think that the non selection of Mauk was apart of the tactics for the match. Retre and Melling are both DM's so it might have been a tactic to frustrate Brisbane's passing game in the midfield. I liked what Melling contributed, has a bit of Mongrel in him with the body size of an AFL player. 

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

What ? Melling Mauk better than Koren Mooy.

As a second option after Koren/Mooy I meant haha.

Agree, if we see Koren Mooy combination on together would be a huge difference, and future wise Melling Mauk. Just wonder those who watch youth side how they go together with I suppose Retre as a trio.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/olyroos-stun-10-man-brazil-to-draw-2-2/1i9mjk7y62f1n11zzzmxcchnf7

http://under23s.footballaustralia.com.au/article/olyroos-go-down-to-china-pr/byuf8wyyq1ql1s22xqh6y2rqp

from the two games so far, Mauk has started both.  cant find how much time he has gotten or how well he has played yet, but good signs that he is considered a starter.

particularly since he is the youngest midfielder (by about 15 months) of the 8 or so taken away

Edited by mattyh001

• 1 month later...

Am concerned that Stefan may be falling by the wayside. Melling has clearly passed him in the pecking order and really he should have been knocking on the door when Koren was injured. Not sure if he's fit right now but I would suggest he needs to step it up at training if he wants to establish himself

#competitionforplaces

Am concerned that Stefan may be falling by the wayside. Melling has clearly passed him in the pecking order and really he should have been knocking on the door when Koren was injured. Not sure if he's fit right now but I would suggest he needs to step it up at training if he wants to establish himself

#competitionforplaces

Hopefully when the new training facility is completed, we will see the youth team players train with the first team or next to them.

That way they can show JVS that they can compete and hopefully surpass some of the current 1st team squad.

I'm hopeful that the current block of games (four days between Perth and Newcastle, five days and flights there and back between Newcastle and Central Coast) will allow players like Mauk to at least get an opportunity for an extended period on the pitch.

A closer look at the extended squad for today though sees that he has been removed from the squad last week, no explanation has been given, there's no news about him being injured (surprise, surprise, that the club CBF'd to keep us in the loop about a fringe player who, by process of deduction, must be injured) and Retre is in the squad ahead of him for this round. Either tell us he's injured, or give him some time in the first team. If he's not good enough, fine, but he hasn't even been given a sniff to prove it one way or the other this season.

#competitionforplaces

IMO he's suffering because he's away on national duty so often. This is a real problem for any club that has a few players who have caught the eye of the national coaches at any level.

If Mooy, Melling and Chapman keep going as they are we're going to see the same thing with the backbone of our side.

I acknowledge that it must be hard to try and stamp your authority on a game when you're given so few chances but to be honest I haven't really seen this guy do anything overly spectacular with the chances he has gotten. Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh but I think we on the forum may have overrated him a little. 

I acknowledge that it must be hard to try and stamp your authority on a game when you're given so few chances but to be honest I haven't really seen this guy do anything overly spectacular with the chances he has gotten. Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh but I think we on the forum may have overrated him a little.

I'm not sure we over rated him Nate.

I think we all recognised that he had potential. The thing is with potential it needs to be realised, the status quo is not good enough and perhaps he didn't appreciate that.

I'm not sure we over rated him Nate.

I think we all recognised that he had potential. The thing is with potential it needs to be realised, the status quo is not good enough and perhaps he didn't appreciate that.

He's with us until the end of next season.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/default.aspx?s=news-display&type=melbourne-city-fc-signs-duff-extends-mauk-and-garuccio-contracts&id=90797

Mauk is injured, as stated in the reply comments here: https://www.facebook.com/melbournecityfc/photos/a.411592357478.188284.284795317478/10152618814362479/?type=1&reply_comment_id=10152618891612479&total_comments=2

JVS seems keen to play Mauk, as shown by JVS subbing Mauk on in the derby when the scores were even (and by having him on the bench then for such as big game).

Mauk hasn't shown that much because he's a youngster who only recently turned 19, and he's had a lot of his time at the club disrupted by him having to go off to play for Youth National Teams. IMO he's shown flashes of quality, but like all young players his best days are ahead of him. So it's just a matter of giving Mauk sufficient game time to show what he can do.

BTW, it's easy to forget now, but young players are often shakey in their first appearances until they can string together a reasonable amount of playing time. Melling first debuted in the 1st Melbourne derby this season, and it was his poor short pass that led to victory's 5th goal. Also Garuccio only made his first real appearance against Adelaide (as a LB), and then the defence went on to concede 2 goals, with Garuccio being directly responsible for at least 1 of them. And as we know both of those young players have come very good since, despite the imperfect beginnings.

So IMO it's unfair and unwise to judge young players off their very first few appearances in senior football. The best from them nearly always comes later. And so with Mauk, I expect him to show his talent once he is injury free, and he can string a decent run of appearances together.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 4

I think I made this point before

I was at Youth team game and also a training session, on both occasions Mauk was no stand out, in fact he was slow

At that viewing, I would say that the pace of the senior A league would be too fast for him

He was being caught on the ball ⚽ too easily

Maybe I saw him on a couple of bad days

Fair enough, I just hope he doesn't become another Jeremy Walker.

There will always be another Jeremy Walker on this forum as long as the Walkerists call for #yoof orientated team selection...

Mind you they have recently seem to move their attention to getting Marino recalled rather than Mauk.

There will always be another Jeremy Walker on this forum as long as the Walkerists call for #yoof orientated team selection...

Mind you they have recently seem to move their attention to getting Marino recalled rather than Mauk.

I think the fact that Melling, Garuccio and Chapman are getting games has helped silence the yoof brigade.

I think the fact that Melling, Garuccio and Chapman are getting games has helped silence the yoof brigade.

LOL - I guess when yoof players like Gazza and Chapman actually show ability and hold down first team spots it makes the calls for those who are not up to starting A League standard (hopefully yet) look a lot more stupid than usual.

LOL - I guess when yoof players like Gazza and Chapman actually show ability and hold down first team spots it makes the calls for those who are not up to starting A League standard (hopefully yet) look a lot more stupid than usual.

Don't think so. It just that they have been driven into desperation by the regular cattle. Ramsay is attracting a lot hate in the forum so I can imagine some people preferring anyone to Ramsay. Secondly, if you come across from the AFL then we are used to seeing young players develop through the club system - something that does not happen all that much in the A-League for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

Don't think so. It just that they have been driven into desperation by the regular cattle. Ramsay is attracting a lot hate in the forum so I can imagine some people preferring anyone to Ramsay. Secondly, if you come across from the AFL then we are used to seeing young players develop through the club system - something that does not happen all that much in the A-League for obvious reasons.

You have a point about the AFL mindset....

Still think the piniacle of #yoof comments on here was the bloke who kept advocating for two weeks for the entire senior squad to be replaced by the NYL squad for the final three games of Season Three. :droy:

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Absolutely. There's just nowhere near the turnover rate of players when you compare the leagues. The draft is the only way to get on an AFL list, whereas there is nothing like the draft in the A-League. Clubs can recruit ready-made superstars in their late-20s/early-30s to the A-League from anywhere around the world. And, perhaps most importantly, the AFL is the pinnacle of that football code, the A-League is nowhere near that. Which means that with our young players, if they show themselves to be any better than solid A-League calibre, chances are they'll be off to greener pastures within a few years.

I have written in the past that I don't mind the A-League being a feeder/developer league for players. But the mindset has to be that we get to see raw, young talent develop locally for a while before they go off to better quality leagues or better paying leagues. Some players will hang around locally because they don't attract overseas interest (Leigh Broxham at MV comes to mind) and they can form the glue of the club. Hoffman is looking likely to be that kind of player as well and maybe Willo. Then there are players like Mooy who should attract O/S interest. Right now if he left I think would be detrimental to the club because it has yet to find its feet but once we get the process right we should develop the players for two to three seasons before selling them (with their blessing of course). Then comes the "experienced" brigade who should be players finishing their careers and ideally would be young players returning from their O/S sojourn (McKay at Roar or Paartalau at City). And along the way the coaching staff has to ensure that the club wins silverware.

I have written in the past that I don't mind the A-League being a feeder/developer league for players. But the mindset has to be that we get to see raw, young talent develop locally for a while before they go off to better quality leagues or better paying leagues. Some players will hang around locally because they don't attract overseas interest (Leigh Broxham at MV comes to mind) and they can form the glue of the club. Hoffman is looking likely to be that kind of player as well and maybe Willo. Then there are players like Mooy who should attract O/S interest. Right now if he left I think would be detrimental to the club because it has yet to find its feet but once we get the process right we should develop the players for two to three seasons before selling them (with their blessing of course). Then comes the "experienced" brigade who should be players finishing their careers and ideally would be young players returning from their O/S sojourn (McKay at Roar or Paartalau at City). And along the way the coaching staff has to ensure that the club wins silverware.

I'd agree with that and I think the critical aspect to make it work is to raise the standard of the A-League to a level where it is truly a viable option for national team players to spend their entire careers here. To me, it feels like if Mooy continues with his current development, he'd being doing himself (and potentially the national team) a disservice by staying as the big fish in the small pond during the prime years of his career. But if we were to raise the standard of the league, what it would probably mean in the short term is increasing the salary cap and potentially allowing more (rather than less) visa players. Which of course would mean that there are less opportunities for young Aussies like Mauk. So it's definitely a balancing act.

But isn't there a new possibility now? If we do have someone who is assessed as having genuine talent and potential for further development then they would be considered for retention within the CFG structure?

Well yes. There is the option of NYCFC, Yokohama Falcons and Man City. And they are all overseas clubs. We don't get to see them in their prime playing for Melb City. But not all youth developed will be moved onto those clubs - the Yanks, Japanese and British will also develop their own youth players as well. And some players will be a bit better than the A-League but not good enough for the EPL/MLS/J-League and they'll go off to places like China or the Middle East where the pay may be substantially better and hence enable them to set themselves financially for life. Should we retain these types of players - that is the art of list management.

I'd agree with that and I think the critical aspect to make it work is to raise the standard of the A-League to a level where it is truly a viable option for national team players to spend their entire careers here. To me, it feels like if Mooy continues with his current development, he'd being doing himself (and potentially the national team) a disservice by staying as the big fish in the small pond during the prime years of his career. But if we were to raise the standard of the league, what it would probably mean in the short term is increasing the salary cap and potentially allowing more (rather than less) visa players. Which of course would mean that there are less opportunities for young Aussies like Mauk. So it's definitely a balancing act.

I can't see that happening. Imagine if the club unearths another Kewell/Viduka/Schwartzer - they could be paid in the millions. Jedinak's total salary package is worth about $3M. And yes he could be the marquee but lets face it the A-League could not afford top quality players that command that kind of salary.

I can't see that happening. Imagine if the club unearths another Kewell/Viduka/Schwartzer - they could be paid in the millions. Jedinak's total salary package is worth about $3M. And yes he could be the marquee but lets face it the A-League could not afford top quality players that command that kind of salary.

True. I'm probably thinking the next tier of national team players: guys that aren't quite at that level of being top-class Premier League players, but where the A-League is a viable alternative for those that are regulars in the green and gold, that are kicking around in the Championship, 2.Bundesliga or Serie B. Perhaps not quite at the standard of those leagues, but comparable and able to offset any gap in overall class by naturally strengthening the national team by having so many of the Socceroos regulars running around in a decent standard local league and obviously being more readily available for national team call ups.

Edited by SF33

• 1 month later...