Melbourne Football

Stefan Mauk

Deluka

I didn't see it, but as always the question of bench management comes to mind. Bringing on a young player - our youngest player - just returned from overseas, in the 88th minute when we're trying to hold a 2-1 lead. Hmm??

I know where you're gonig with this, but I guess it comes back to a commitment to risk youth?

Just looked at the replay a few times. Mauk is meant to mark Griffiths, Wielaert even pointed at Griffiths for Mauk to defend him, and disappointingly Mauk loses his man and he scores in the middle just inside the 6 yard box.

But why was the young and recently subbed on Mauk, out of all of our players, defending one of their main threats (arguably their main threat), striker Ryan Griffiths?

And for me the keeper has to come out and claim or punch that ball. There wasn't too much pace on it, and it drifted into the 6 yard box, a mere metre or 2 away from Redmayne (who seemed nailed to the goal line, or even inside the goal).

Mauk didn't impress with his defending, but I blame Redmayne more, and arguably it was a defensive mix up for Mauk to be told to mark Griffiths.

I didn't see it, but as always the question of bench management comes to mind. Bringing on a young player - our youngest player - just returned from overseas, in the 88th minute when we're trying to hold a 2-1 lead. Hmm??

I know where you're gonig with this, but I guess it comes back to a commitment to risk youth?

Yes, partly, but I've never been overly impressed by our bench selection and management under either of our coaches. I suppose this is an aspect where the experience of a coach shows itself.

Of course it's easy sitting in the stands...

Just looked at the replay a few times. Mauk is meant to mark Griffiths, Wielaert even pointed at Griffiths for Mauk to defend him, and disappointingly Mauk loses his man and he scores in the middle just inside the 6 yard box.

But why was the young and recently subbed on Mauk, out of all of our players, defending one of their main threats (arguably their main threat), striker Ryan Griffiths?

And for me the keeper has to come out and claim or punch that ball. There wasn't too much pace on it, and it drifted into the 6 yard box, a mere metre or 2 away from Redmayne (who seemed nailed to the goal line, or even inside the goal).

Mauk didn't impress with his defending, but I blame Redmayne more, and arguably it was a defensive mix up for Mauk to be told to mark Griffiths.

No way that Griffiths is their man threat from set pieces. Huge lapse in concentration, regardless of if he's a defender or not

Yes, partly, but I've never been overly impressed by our bench selection and management under either of our coaches. I suppose this is an aspect where the experience of a coach shows itself.

Of course it's easy sitting in the stands...

Also easy in hindsight.. if Dugandzic had failed to follow his man people would complain that we should've brought on the young guy with fresh legs.  Harsh to blame the coach on this one.

anything in or close to the 6 yard box should be the keepers ball. plain and simple, blame Mauk , yes, but Redders should have swallowed that cross

• Like 1

Redders was stuck on his line, this tends to happen a lot.

Redders was at fault for the goal in Adelaide. 

This games blunder was unforgivable. The win will hide this. He's a golden child amongst some of our rainbow crew fans and it's like he gets a free pass.

He has been shocking for a little while now. No command in his area whatsoever. I have no confidence when the ball is around. No presence at all for a keeper either.

Redders was stuck on his line, this tends to happen a lot.

Redders was at fault for the goal in Adelaide. 

This games blunder was unforgivable. The win will hide this. He's a golden child amongst some of our rainbow crew fans and it's like he gets a free pass.

He has been shocking for a little while now. No command in his area whatsoever. I have no confidence when the ball is around. No presence at all for a keeper either.

Just remember that keppers can go out of form too, just like any player. 

I think a couple weeks on the sidelines would do him the world of good. 

Very disappointing for the last month or so though.

He was the best player on the ground in that youth game.  Definitely a bloke with a lot of potential.  He's only a kid - one marking error is not a career killer.

He can be a kid and thump the youth league all he likes for as long as he likes... Definitely not first team material leading into the next transfer market/new investors.

Mauk can chill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess we'll see. He hasn't been signed up for next season just yet has he?

Not that I know of, but then I don't know about his contract as of now.

But I hope we sign him, he is becoming a regular for the olyroos and is in the camp in Sydney.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope he is under contract, because if he is we are getting a $1m+ transfer fee this off season. Maybe he'll be loaned back to us, but he's definitely being bought by a top European club.

Edited by Tesla

$1m+ transfer fee this off season. Maybe he'll be loaned back to us, but he's definitely being bought by a top European club.

Speculation or legit?

Played a strong hand in both of our goals, he's been really good.

Speculation. But he is exactly the type of player the European clubs chase, very young players (18 and under) that are holding their own against grown men. Same reason De Silva is going to make a big European move this off season.

$1m+ transfer fee this off season. Maybe he'll be loaned back to us, but he's definitely being bought by a top European club.

Speculation or legit?

Speculation. But he is exactly the type of player the European clubs chase, very young players (18 and under) that are holding their own against grown men. Same reason De Silva is going to make a big European move this off season.

Reckon he still needs another season in the A-League first, brilliant prospect though and this game he's been able to show how much poise and class he possesses as we've only really gotten to see glimpses.

Speculation or legit?

Reckon he still needs another season in the A-League first, brilliant prospect though and this game he's been able to show how much poise and class he possesses as we've only really gotten to see glimpses.

I agree he needs another season in the A-league, he hasn't really done anything in this league yet, but I think they'll be some big clubs looking at him this off season. if it happens, hopefully it includes a loan back for next season, will be best for all parties.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

I hope he is under contract, because if he is we are getting a $1m+ transfer fee this off season. Maybe he'll be loaned back to us, but he's definitely being bought by a top European club.

well, in the kick off Davutovic showed a list of contracted heart player, Mauk is on the list

What I really like about Mauk is how physically unexceptional he appears with his socks kinda down and shirt tucked into his pants. But he gets into the right positions and just reads the game well and provides lovely passes - and can shoot. Could become anything if he has the same determination as Harry to succeed.

I think he and Mooy could be pretty fearsome next season. But you need strikers who can take a pass and hit the ball first time rather than take a touch and carry the ball away from goal. And you need a defence that doesn't leak goals. I watched our positioning very closely in the first half - it was poor - frequently two players going towards the same man. No talking, no directions. So disappointing.

• Like 2

I think he and Mooy could be pretty fearsome next season. But you need strikers who can take a pass and hit the ball first time rather than take a touch and carry the ball away from goal. And you need a defence that doesn't leak goals. I watched our positioning very closely in the first half - it was poor - frequently two players going towards the same man. No talking, no directions. So disappointing.

Yes and we need to find Gerd Muller to finish off those passes from Mauk and Mooy - M&M

• Like 1