Melbourne Football

The Semi Final thread-26th August, 5pm

kingofhearts

9 minutes ago, Heart_Attack said:

This is all in our favour. 

WU are an ageing first XI coming off a three day break. 

Diamanti, Burgess & Berisha are the only threats. Stop them and our firepower will do the rest. 

Our place in the final is ours if we want it. Get the job done boys. 

All 3 basically played the full 90 minutes as Rudan opted not to use any subs until really late. Should be able to outrun their old tired core. 

I reckon a fair few walking wounded amongst the WU players. Several looked to take painful knocks. You'd wonder about Risdon, Durante and Burgess. And I suspect a few of the old guard won't have too much in the tank. Up to us, we need to get our heads right and weather the pressure we are bound to get at some point. 

8 minutes ago, malloy said:

FFS, way too much optimism/arrogance in this thread... it never ends well when Heart/City is involved.

Being nervous makes makes me pessimistic, won three times against WU, who were undermanned on all occasions and still took the game to us!

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

I'm scared

I can't help but think of the win against Adelaide in the league and then of what happened a few days later in the FFA Cup final... 😟

...BUT we would've learnt from that and smash these Wyndham United kents!! 👊
We'll have had a week to recover whereas they'll have had 2 days, same score-line as last Wednesday! 🏆

Eeeyy nerves are jangling even now. Western are a dangerous team, and we've never entered a semi as undisputed favourites. The fact is this is where we fail, every single time. And beating them 3 times doesn't make me feel any better! It is just the type of heartbreaking irony our club almost lives for to win all 3 regular season games then lose the one that counts.

But stuff that. We're the better team with more talent spread across the whole pitch. Dare to dream!

Edited by Dezy94
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Too early to think about a GF. IMO there are very rarely any clear favourites in the finals series - the really weak teams have been weeded out long before, and I don't think that the odds are ever better than 60:40. In our semi, WU have nothing to lose, and we have everything to lose. I don't think turn-around has any effect either - it's all or nothing so both sides will give it everything they have. Hope we win of course, but knowing our history...who can say what will happen?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Grand Final will allow fans? Is that fair considering fans from WU and City aren’t allowed to travel?

I think all games should have had fans regardless of the “fairness”, simply because the league needs all the help it can get and petty squabbles about things like this only hold the game back.

Yet another own goal for football in this country. At least we’re consistent.

8 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I think all games should have had fans regardless of the “fairness”, simply because the league needs all the help it can get and petty squabbles about things like this only hold the game back.

Pretty sure this was a state rule that any matches with non-NSW teams competing couldn't have fans at the ground (prior to finals)...because you know, the Victorian players who tested negative for COVID-19 might have smuggled the virus in on their boots and when their boots makes contact with the ball and then the ball is kicked into the stands (not the empty ones, but) where there are fans sitting one of those fans in the crowd might contract the virus 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

IMO once it was decided (and IIRC agreed to by all the clubs?) to resume the season and play all the matches at a "hub," the COV-19 situation, in Victoria particularly, and subsequent border closures and quarantine requirements has just made it highly unlikely that many fans could attend matches even if they wanted to - a decision to play behind closed doors is fair and reasonable.

IMO they have diluted the original concept of a "hub" - I had assumed that all matches would be played at the same venue, but that has not been the case.

2 hours ago, Red or Dead said:

Pretty sure this was a state rule that any matches with non-NSW teams competing couldn't have fans at the ground (prior to finals)...because you know, the Victorian players who tested negative for COVID-19 might have smuggled the virus in on their boots and when their boots makes contact with the ball and then the ball is kicked into the stands (not the empty ones, but) where there are fans sitting one of those fans in the crowd might contract the virus 🤦‍♂️

Love it! 

18 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think turn-around has any effect either - it's all or nothing so both sides will give it everything they have. 

I agree with everything you said prior to this, but this just simply isn’t true. In terms of median squad age, Western United have the third oldest in the league and we have the youngest. The game on Wednesday will be their 3rd in seven days, they’ll be coming off a 3 day break, which means two training sessions max, as they at least need to spend one day recovering their body.

You could see by the end of the Brisbane game a lot of their players were hobbling, they were absolutely spent. Obviously, it’s a last ditch game and their players will give their all, but WU have been playing so much football, their bodies will be greatly more fatigued than the City Boys who have been able to rest more and train more. All that being said, this obviously doesn’t give us a win by any stretch, but I’d rather be in our position then theirs. Especially considering we play possession heavy football that requires teams to chase the ball.

• Thanks 1