Melbourne Football

The Semi Final thread-26th August, 5pm

kingofhearts

8 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Thread can be updated with our opponents name when we know.

I'm really pumped for this, who are people here hoping we face?

For myself, I'd rather vs Brisbane and Geelong united over the other two opponents.

Fire up!

FWIW facing Perth isn't an option.

I don't care too much which of the other three we get, maybe Nix.

2 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Nix are a good side but out of form. Brisbane I don't think are as good, but are in better touch. The form side is WU, but we seem to know how to beat them. All are beatable, but we'll need to bring our best game. 

I think playing WU with Diamanti and Berisha on the pitch for 90 mins (or close enough too) is a much different prospect to the WU we played on Wednesday, and despite us having the better of them each time this season, I feel that all of those games could have really gone either way.

WU in my opinion are the 'team to beat' from our perspective - noting that I think all teams will want to avoid us just as much as they would want to avoid WU.

I would also like one of WU or Sydney to knock the other out. Despite Sydney's poor run of form I believe they will lift significantly for the finals. So from that perspective and on the assumption we are to make it to the GF, I would rather only play one of those two (both if which I think are capable of going all the way) - or neither of them, but I don't think that will happen. 

My preference would be to play Wellington slightly over Brisbane.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, malloy said:

I think playing WU with Diamanti and Berisha on the pitch for 90 mins (or close enough too) is a much different prospect to the WU we played on Wednesday, and despite us having the better of them each time this season, I feel that all of those games could have really gone either way.

WU in my opinion are the 'team to beat' from our perspective - noting that I think all teams will want to avoid us just as much as they would want to avoid WU.

I would also like one of WU or Sydney to knock the other out. Despite Sydney's poor run of form I believe they will lift significantly for the finals. So from that perspective and on the assumption we are to make it to the GF, I would rather only play one of those two (both if which I think are capable of going all the way) - or neither of them, but I don't think that will happen. 

My preference would be to play Wellington slightly over Brisbane.

We were missing 2 handy players aswell in Noone and Flo 

Don’t want to play WU with Diamanti or Berisha. Diamanti in particular is capable of dismantling defences in a matter of seconds and I’m not sold on our current defensive set-up or our ability to weather a storm. 

But gee it’s our best chance to win the Championship. Everything is lining up perfectly...what could go wrong?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

So as I understand it, if we are to avoid WU until the final, we want Nix to win so that we play them in the semi, and potentially face the winners of Sydney versus WU from the other semi if we can beat Nix and make the final. Then we can let Sydney or WU knock each other out, rather than us having to. 

4 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

We were missing 2 handy players aswell in Noone and Flo 

We were, but I don't think either of them are players that can turn a game on its head. Diamanti and Berisha are both capable of that. Maybe its the long suffering Heart supporter in me, but I feel we tend to falter a bit when the game gets turned on its head unfavourably.

Don't get me wrong, I feel that we should be odds on for the Championship, but I just see WU as our biggest threat and therefore I would rather play them on the 'big stage' than have the added risk of getting knocked out by them in the semi-finals - despite the fact that I will back us in to win against them. All about risk minimisation (not that we really have a say in it... )

IMO our biggest threat will be ourselves, might sound a bit rich but for me we still haven't proved otherwise. 

This season we choked in the cup final and away to Sydney when they went down to 10.

Since the re start we have looked different, that win against Sydney was super impressive and even not losing when Noone got carded was important. 

But ultimately it will come down to our own mentality.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jovan said:

IMO our biggest threat will be ourselves, might sound a bit rich but for me we still haven't proved otherwise. 

This season we choked in the cup final and away to Sydney when they went down to 10.

Since the re start we have looked different, that win against Sydney was super impressive and even not losing when Noone got carded was important. 

But ultimately it will come down to our own mentality.

Yes completely agree with this. It’s all up to us. We can beat anyone on our day but we can also crumble better than anyone when the heat is on. Can we hold our nerve if/when we go ahead? Teams will throw everything at us and we need to withstand it. That’s my biggest concern. We find our resolve and we win it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

The prospect of playing WU worries me. They are on a hot streak of form, even though we are too. I'd prefer Brisbane to knock them out on our behalf, but I reckon WU will get through. 

Yes agreed. Even though we have beaten them during the regular season. It would be the moment where it means the most that we would get knocked out by them... So with that logic, cmon Brisbane! 

I'd 100% prefer to play Western, in 270 minutes they have scored zero goals from open play against us, and that's with parts of 2 games with only 10 men for us. 

Diamanti is a freak, love watching him play but if you can stop his output, they really only have burgess and berisha. The rest of the their team is pretty average and defensively they are a mess. I know we will score against them, where I think Brisbane can set up for us not to score and hit us on counter

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Harrison said:

Yes completely agree with this. It’s all up to us. We can beat anyone on our day but we can also crumble better than anyone when the heat is on. Can we hold our nerve if/when we go ahead? Teams will throw everything at us and we need to withstand it. That’s my biggest concern. We find our resolve and we win it. 

IMO this sums it up. Doesn't really matter who we have to play - in the end it will be up to us. We have a little bit extra on our side now though - whatever happens we have qualified for the ACL qualifiers so that's one monkey off our backs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

Crowds from Wednesday on according to the commentators. 

Given the short turn around, I’d be pretty confident of a win regardless of opponent. 

Especially generic United will have played 3 games in 7 days if they were to get through. Brisbane more rest but they look rather toothless...