Melbourne Football

Atletico Madrid

Shahanga

Fox seems to be covering La Liga a bit more this year, so on the back of that i thought I should have a team to follow.

Obviously I've gone for Atletico because of the jerseys.  As luck would have it they seem to be having their best season in many a long year, sitting 2nd as a type this.  Anyway for any AM fans out there this can be the thread to discuss what's happening including (hopefully) the continued goal run of David Villa. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Big match tomorrow morning, Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid for the Copa del Rey.

Full Real squad will be available with Bale returning and Ronaldo not likely to receive a long ban due to the red card given to him in a previous match for La Liga. 

Should be a good derby  :clap:

• 2 months later...

Funnily enough Atletico Madrid got their shirts as they was a student setup for Atletico Bilbao fans studying in Madrid..

Atl Bilbao in turn got their current shirts from a Basque guy buying them in Southampton to replace their old worn shirts.

Funnily enough Atletico Madrid got their shirts as they was a student setup for Atletico Bilbao fans studying in Madrid..

Atl Bilbao in turn got their current shirts from a Basque guy buying them in Southampton to replace their old worn shirts.

The history of how football clubs  came to have particular jerseys are classic.  Reflected a time when it seems players were just happy to get a set of shirts in half decent condition that were the same colour.  No role for "jersey design nerds" in those days (not all changes are for the better).

Classic story though. The internet tells me that Southampton first wore these stripes in 1896, with the blue shorts, no mention of them borrowing them from elsewhere. though Stoke was wearing red and white stripes as early as 1883.

• 3 weeks later...

Lost this morning. They need 4 points from their last 2 games, one of which being Barca away to win the title or Real or Barca can snatch.

They are very lucky both Real and Barca stumbled this weekend too.

Fair call.

Barca seem to be struggling themselves now though?  So winning away doesn't seem as fanciful as it would have once.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyhow.. It is a fairy tale season for Atleti, winning the league ahead of Barca and Real Madid, reaching the champions league final yet to be played.

Whatever you think of the team you must admit that they have done something out of the ordinary eh?

Wasn't disagreeing the team on the pitch hasn't achieved something special just stating that I don't feel any kind of happiness to see this supposed "underdog" come good. But it's still a victory for pretty much everything wrong with football in europe, the less joy given to those corrupt fascist murderers the better.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2014 at 9:43 PM, Baresi said:

You guys might want to read up on Atleti...

They're not the nice-guy fairytale they seem to be.

My extremely limited research tells me that Franco strongly promoted Real Madrid ahead of all other teams for political purposes.  No mention of him using Atletico.

A scholarly article I found on the subject noted: "Atletico Madrid - the capital's second club, with a very mild anti-Francoist reputation." 

I would suggest even mild anti Francoist was dangerous whilst he was in power.

Further research suggests they now have (more than) their fair share of rat bag fans.   Not alone in that I guess, but its not a great look.

Edited by Shahanga
White space

Look up the name Jesus Gil and his history and it might become a bit more clear. He only escaped prison due to a personal pardon from Franco. Ran the entire Marbella community into the ground for the clubs and his own personal gain and spread hate and racism wherever he went. Clubs now run by his son and continuing on the same line. My personal hatred comes from the racist shit Gil spread about Ajax in the 90's, nothing to do with supporting Barca or RM.

You guys might want to read up on Atleti...

They're not the nice-guy fairytale they seem to be.

My extremely limited research tells me that Franco strongly promoted Real Madrid ahead of all other teams for political purposes.  No mention of him using Atletico.

A scholarly article I found on the subject noted: "Atletico Madrid - the capital's second club, with a very mild anti-Francoist reputation." 

I would suggest even mild anti Francoist was dangerous whilst he was in power.

Further research suggests they now have (more than) their fair share of rat bag fans.   Not alone in that I guess, but its not a great look.

I was talking about the ultra-corrupt recent history, not their Franco ties.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...